ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Closed Thread
Old 9th April 2017, 01:01 PM   #3361
Numbers
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,852
"Luminol Tests Negative For Blood

The luminol tests were done on December 18, 2007 after the whole flat had been turned upside-down during multiple undocumented inspections and revealed the presence of six “footprints” testing positive for DNA and three more that tested negative for DNA. All of the prints and blobs tested negative for blood with the tetramethylbenzidine [TMB] test. Prosecution forensics expert, Patrizia Stefanoni, was asked about TMB [concerning tests on the knife] at the pre-trial in October 2008 and said a negative result gives certainty it’s not blood.[1] Stefanoni failed to disclose the negative TMB results when she testified at both the pre-trial and trial, nor were they recorded in the Polizia Scientifica RTIGF Report [PDF pages 223-229, original 218-224]. It was only after the court ordered a partial discovery data dump on July 30, 2009* that the defense became aware.

On September 26, 2009 Knox defense consultant Dr Sarah Gino returned to court and revealed everything tested negative for blood and the prosecution’s insinuations and media leaks about bloody footprints and clean-ups was bogus. She further revealed there was still missing data and the mixed trace in Filomena Romanelli’s room was low copy number [LCN] single amplification. ie not a valid result and possibly from contamination.[2] For some unknown reason, the Scientific Police didn’t photograph the luminol in Romanelli’s room or if they did, it wasn’t disclosed. Also strangely, it’s not listed on the 2008 Scientific Police evidence map."

* The date of ordering the "partial data dump" (July 30, 2009) indicates it was ordered during the Massei court proceedings. The Massei court trial of Knox and Sollecito ended in December, 2009.

Source: http://www.amandaknoxcase.com/luminol/

According to ECHR case law, the defense is entitled to "equality of arms" with the prosecution and "adequate time and facilities for preparation of the defense", which means, among other factors, access to all the information gathered by the prosecution that does not endanger national security or the identity of confidential agents.

The Italian Constitution, Article 111, provides: "The defendant shall have the right to cross-examine or to have
cross-examined before a judge the persons making accusations and to
summon and examine persons for the defence in the same conditions as the
prosecution, as well as the right to produce all other evidence in favour of
the defence
."
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 01:08 PM   #3362
NotEvenWrong
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 707
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
There is some confusion over the luminol/TMB issue, as Massei said the luminol traces (used extensively globally by forensic police to highlight 'invisible' blood, or blood that has been cleaned up) were not tested with TMB, whereas Hellmann says it was, and the TMB was negative.
Vixen,
Here is a passage from Massei:

Quote:
In answer to specific questions about the Luminol - positive traces, she stated that from the technical report one exclusively learn that at the crime scene, these traces returned a positive reaction, like that which has come to be defined as the generic analysis made with Luminol, whereas in fact it could be seen from examining the SAL cards that testing specifically for blood had been carried out and had "resulted as negative " (page 77).

To a question from the Public Prosecutor, she confirmed that a genetic profile of Knox had been extracted from Exhibits 178, 179, 180, and this biological material, which could not be confirmed with certainty as being human blood, could have been, she affirmed, "saliva or skin cells" (page 78); the negative result of the TMB test (tetramethylbenzidine) made it impossible to determine exactly what material had 258
been analysed.
You have been arguing your case for 8 years now. You made a claim about Massei's statement regarding TMB. A quick text search of the Massei report shows that he said the EXACT OPPOSITE. Why are you deliberately lying about everything?

Or do you have your conclusion set in stone in your mind and you reason backwards and make up facts to fit your conclusion, then lie and claim they were in various reports? This could explain why you are never right about anything you say on here, FYI.

Quote:
Luminol relies on a reaction to the iron element in haemoglobin, which gives blood its red colour on exposure to oxygen. The problem is, other organic substances also react to luminol on the same priniciples, namely some root vegetables, such as parsnip, and even horse radish sauce. Therefore, it is commonplace to follow up a positive luminol result with a specific test for blood, TMB. Nota Bene Luminol is exponentially a far more powerful indicator of blood than TMB. It is to TMB what the Hubble telescope is to binoculars, as someone succintly put it.
Luminol also acts with a ton of other substances. Why in your next paragraph do you talk as if the only two possibilities are they stepped in parsnip or horseradish sauce? Is it an attempt to distract and manipulate based on incomplete information? Or are you actually convinced anything you write is correct?

Quote:
the kids could have accidentally stepped on a parsnip/horse radish spillage
Quote:
I trust that clears that up.
Well, now with my reply refuting what you wrote it is certainly a lot more clear that you have an agenda.

Last edited by NotEvenWrong; 9th April 2017 at 01:10 PM.
NotEvenWrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 02:16 PM   #3363
Welshman
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It is a finding of the law courts - including Marasca - that the kids told 'umpteen lies'. Official. Reason given for denying Raff any compensation.

I have never lied in court, nor to the police. Point me to a PGP who has lied to the police and lied in court.

Your accusations lack any foundation.
Vixen and Ergon refused to answer my question. How can Vixen and other PGP be in a position to attack Amanda and Raffaele for telling lies when they gave glowing 5 star reviews to John Kerchers book Meredith which was riddled with falsehoods for which I provided links in my post below and the behaviour of John Kercher was regarded as dignified.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post11791614

I have never said PGP have lied in court and lied to the police. What PGP have done is defend people who lied in court and committed perjury. The police/prosecution as can be seen from the links below fed false information to the media, lied in court and committed perjury.

https://knoxsollecito.wordpress.com/...ele-sollecito/
http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/myths.html
http://www.amandaknoxcase.com/meredi...ry-corruption/

Prosecutor Comodi lied to Amanda in court asking why she phoned her mother at 12.00 pm when phone records showed she phoned her mother at 12.47 pm. In the Nencini trial prosecutor Crini lied saying the knife matched the bloody imprint on the bed. PGP slavishly defend corrupt prosecutors who told numerous lies. How can Vixen be in a position to attack Amanda and Raffaele for lying when PGP support people who told numerous lies such as John Kercher and the prosecution? If someone comes on an internet forum and attacks someone for lying whilst lying themselves and supporting people who have lied, they have an obligation to explain this hypocrisy.

Could Vixen tell do the number of supposed lies by Amanda and Raffaele match the number of lies John Kercher told in his book and the number of lies told by the prosecution. Have Amanda and Raffaele supported liars in the same way PGP do?
Welshman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 02:36 PM   #3364
Stacyhs
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
The SALs are a laboratory log, not intended for public consumption.
Are you seriously trying to defend Stefanoni's failure to reveal such vital information to not only the defense, but to the court itself? Are you saying Stefanoni had the right to decide what laboratory results were to be reported?

Quote:
The problem is, other organic substances also react to luminol on the same priniciples, namely some root vegetables, such as parsnip, and even horse radish sauce.
You leave out the fact , I suspect quite intentionally, that it also reacts to certain cleaning solutions and the iron in soil. Two things that people would be far more likely to step on than vegetables or horse radish.

Quote:
Nota Bene Luminol is exponentially a far more powerful indicator of blood than TMB. It is to TMB what the Hubble telescope is to binoculars, as someone succintly put it.
Yes, we've heard this argument presented time and again. It's nothing more than a feeble attempt to explain away the TMB negative tests. TMB is extremely sensitive and will react to a minute trace of blood. In fact, there was enough blood for each luminol revealed trace to be tested twice...with the same negative result.

"Someone" giving an opinion on the Hubble telescope vs binoculars is irrelevant as this "someone's" expertise on the subject is unknown. The fact that TMB negative results are accepted in the scientific world as being reliable and extremely sensitive is far more credible than "someone's" opinion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 03:00 PM   #3365
Stacyhs
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
NB: As there was such a small quantity of the presumed blood, she preferred to use it for ID-profile, rather than TMB. (It's an 'either', 'or' choice.
I believe that the only trace she chose to test for DNA rather than blood was the sample on the blade of the kitchen knife, not the luminol revealed footprints.

Quote:
We already know it's almost certainly blood, given the shape of the foot-shaped outline of the luminescense and no corresponding area where the kids could have accidentally stepped on a parsnip/horse radish spillage, together with the indisputable fact there was copious blood loss from the victim on the surrounding floors.)
No, we don't already know any such thing. The two samples in Romanelli's room were not "foot shaped" but amorphous blobs. Regarding the actual "foot shaped" luminol revealed prints, these were never identified as being Amanda's, only "compatible". The police, in their incompetence, failed to compare them to the other 3 girls living in the cottage. Were they "compatible" with them, too? We'll never know.

No, there was not "copious blood loss from the victim on the surrounding floors". There was only blood loss on her bedroom floor where no footprint or shoeprint of Amanda or Raffaele was found. Only Guede's.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 04:46 PM   #3366
Numbers
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,852
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
"The proposals that will be put to a vote on 10 April {by the US National Commission on Forensic Science, an expert panel convened by the Department of Justice and NIST} lay out how forensic analysts should testify about evidence such as shoeprints, bullet ballistics, blood spatter and glass shards. Analysts must explain how they examined evidence and what statistical analyses they chose. They must also describe inherent uncertainties in their measurements. Most importantly, experts must never claim with certainty that anything found at a crime scene is linked to a suspect, and they must always try to quantify the probability that observed similarities occurred by chance."

Did Stefanoni and the other prosecution forensic experts explain her results taking into account the uncertainties pointed out by the above excerpt?

Source of excerpt: http://www.nature.com/news/label-the...ampaign=buffer
It's clear that Stefanoni attempted to mislead the court and the defense about the interpretation of the luminol footprints and the allegedly inculpatory DNA profiles on the knife blade and bra clasp.

Last edited by Numbers; 9th April 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 05:28 PM   #3367
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 11,905
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
It's clear that Stefanoni attempted to mislead the court and the defense about the interpretation of the luminol footprints and the allegedly inculpatory DNA profiles on the knife blade and bra clasp.
Originally Posted by NotEvenWrong
You have been arguing your case for 8 years now. You made a claim about Massei's statement regarding TMB. A quick text search of the Massei report shows that he said the EXACT OPPOSITE. Why are you deliberately lying about everything?
It's hard to know how to respond when posters post patently wrong info. 180-degree wrong info.

If that's pointed out it's called "personalizing" the response, addressing the poster and not the poster's "argument".

Consistent posts like this attract comments about posters who consistently persue this as an agenda.

This is before considering the way they defend people like Stefanoni who patently DID withhold info from the court and the defence. They hide behind allowing the prosecution, and worse, Stefanoni herself decide what the defense can see. One defended it by saying if the defense were allowed to see everything, there's no telling what the defence would do to it.

How do we talk about the **consistent** posts like this without at some point wondering why the poster would......

...... do something like say something about Massei's court, which is the exact opposite of what he'd written?
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 07:32 PM   #3368
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
It's hard to know how to respond when posters post patently wrong info. 180-degree wrong info.

If that's pointed out it's called "personalizing" the response, addressing the poster and not the poster's "argument".

Consistent posts like this attract comments about posters who consistently persue this as an agenda.

This is before considering the way they defend people like Stefanoni who patently DID withhold info from the court and the defence. They hide behind allowing the prosecution, and worse, Stefanoni herself decide what the defense can see. One defended it by saying if the defense were allowed to see everything, there's no telling what the defence would do to it.

How do we talk about the **consistent** posts like this without at some point wondering why the poster would......

...... do something like say something about Massei's court, which is the exact opposite of what he'd written?
Aside from the fact that Vixen was utterly wrong on the TMB testing of the Luminol traces, she also ignores the DNA analysis of these traces. No one, not the prosecution, not the ruling judges and certainly no one from the PGP has ever managed to explain the three prints in Amanda's room that are TMB negative and positive for Amanda's DNA but not Meredith's. As far as I'm concerned there is no credible scenario where these three traces could be made from Meredith's blood.

This is the worst possible scenario for the PGP because it proves the Luminol was reacting to something other than Meredith's blood. This is why they're so willing to accept Massei's brilliant "what else could it be" reasoning...because if they have to actually explain it, it's game over.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 09:01 PM   #3369
Stacyhs
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,566
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
Aside from the fact that Vixen was utterly wrong on the TMB testing of the Luminol traces, she also ignores the DNA analysis of these traces. No one, not the prosecution, not the ruling judges and certainly no one from the PGP has ever managed to explain the three prints in Amanda's room that are TMB negative and positive for Amanda's DNA but not Meredith's. As far as I'm concerned there is no credible scenario where these three traces could be made from Meredith's blood.

This is the worst possible scenario for the PGP because it proves the Luminol was reacting to something other than Meredith's blood. This is why they're so willing to accept Massei's brilliant "what else could it be" reasoning...because if they have to actually explain it, it's game over.
There were also several luminol positive samples in Raff's apartment that, like those in Amanda's cottage, tested negative for blood. I suppose all those, too, simply didn't have enough blood for the TMB to reveal.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 01:41 AM   #3370
Vixen
Philosopher
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 9,207
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Are you seriously trying to defend Stefanoni's failure to reveal such vital information to not only the defense, but to the court itself? Are you saying Stefanoni had the right to decide what laboratory results were to be reported?



You leave out the fact , I suspect quite intentionally, that it also reacts to certain cleaning solutions and the iron in soil. Two things that people would be far more likely to step on than vegetables or horse radish.



Yes, we've heard this argument presented time and again. It's nothing more than a feeble attempt to explain away the TMB negative tests. TMB is extremely sensitive and will react to a minute trace of blood. In fact, there was enough blood for each luminol revealed trace to be tested twice...with the same negative result.

"Someone" giving an opinion on the Hubble telescope vs binoculars is irrelevant as this "someone's" expertise on the subject is unknown. The fact that TMB negative results are accepted in the scientific world as being reliable and extremely sensitive is far more credible than "someone's" opinion.

I didn't mention bleach as it only picks up bleach within at the very outside 72 hours after application (although usually much less than this). TMB reacts to a minute trace of blood. However, it was more important to identify whose blood it was from the DNA, which can only be found from the white blood cells, which are outnumbered by red by 700 to 1000, depending on individual variation.

As common sense tells you the footprint outlines were in Mez' blood and not turnip juice, then getting the ID was of essence. Knowing it is blood is meaningless, as it is obvious whose blood.
__________________
...hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

~Rev 3:11

Last edited by Vixen; 10th April 2017 at 01:42 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 01:52 AM   #3371
Vixen
Philosopher
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 9,207
The TMB Issue

I looked up the translation and from there went to the original Massei document in Italian (on page 275 of the Italian original). The section Stacyhs et al cite is within a discussion about testimony by Dr. Gino on 26 Sept 2009, and the page numbers referred to by Massei are of Dr. Gino’s testimony and cross-exam by Dr. Comodi. Dr. Gino reviewed the SALs after they were given to the court by Dr. Stefanoni in July. I don’t believe Dr. Stefanoni ever had a chance to rebut any known inaccuracies in the SALs- she is not listed as a witness on that day’s testimony.

Perhaps Dr. Comodi mentions it, but one would have to read the entire testimony of 26 Sept 09 very carefully to see.

In any case I’m copying here the relevant testimony cited:

PRESIDENTE - Non ci sono altre domande, per il controesame solo ovviamente su questo ultimo aspetto perché era già stato esaurito.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì, sì, ma infatti sarò brevissima.
PRESIDENTE - Prego Pubblico Ministero.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - A proposito di quest’ultimo argomento le risulta... é risultato negativo quell’accertamento se è sangue oppure altro materiale che reagisce comunque a quell’esame al TMB ma le risulta che sia stato trovato DNA di Amanda su quelle tracce di cui stiamo parlando?
CONSULENTE - Allora aspetti che vado alla mia diapositiva perché così a memoria potrei dire delle cose che non sono corrette, allora noi abbiamo trovato per esempio la 178 ci dice che da quel materiale è stato estratto un profilo della Knox, 179 idem, 180 idem.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, quindi magari non potendo affermare con certezza che si tratti di sangue umano oppure di altro materiale potremmo comunque escludere che si tratti di un animale visto che c’è DNA umano?
CONSULENTE - Beh allora ritorniamo di nuovo sul DNA umano che potrebbe derivare non da sangue ma come abbiamo già detto l’altra volta potrebbe derivare...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Da materiale biologico.
CONSULENTE - Da saliva, cellule di sfaldamento.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì certo.
CONSULENTE - Ecco, esatto.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì certo, però dico c’è un dato... da un lato c’è il dato negativo a quella...
CONSULENTE - Alla tetrametilbenzidina, sì alla TMB.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, a quell’esame lì per cui non si è potuto stabilire che cosa fosse quel materiale insomma che è stato analizzato, giusto?
CONSULENTE - Sì.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Quanto meno non si è potuto stabilire che fosse sangue, però dico conferma che è stato trovato DNA della Knox?
CONSULENTE - Certo, il profilo genetico della Knox è stato trovato.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Okay e a proposito sempre di questa TMB, di questa analisi a livello percentuale secondo la sua esperienza, questa analisi fatta su tracce esaltate con il luminol sono più i casi in cui risulta negativa l’analisi, questo tipo di... è negativa la TMB o sono più i casi in cui risulta positiva?
CONSULENTE - Dunque, direi che possiamo dire è un 50 per cento perché alcune volte il luminol dà delle tracce positive che poi in realtà alla TMB risultano negative e altre volte... io direi un 50 e 50 non posso né dire sì né dire no da una parte o dall’altra.
PRESIDENTE - Scusi, magari TMB se ci può dare spiegazioni?
CONSULENTE - E’ la tetrametilbenzidina la TMB, è l’acronimo che viene...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - E’ una reazione in sostanza, che cos’è una reazione?
CONSULENTE - Sì, sì, è una reazione clorimetrica che avviene in presenza di tetrametilbenzidina, una volta si usava la benzidina poi hanno visto che essendo cancerogena era meglio toglierla dal commercio e quindi viene utilizzata... ma è esattamente lo stesso principio se voi avete presenti gli stick che vengono utilizzati per verificare la presenza ad esempio di sangue nelle urine funziona esattamente nello stesso modo quindi abbiamo una reazione clorimetrica.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Va bene, l’altra domanda ma forse lei ha già implicitamente risposto perché tornando alle schede S.A.L. va be’ a parte le sue prime... i suoi primi interrogativi data alla scrittura...
CONSULENTE - Allora è la prima slide che ho fatto vedere su questa cosa qui.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Data alla scrittura 12 giugno 2008.
CONSULENTE - Sì.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Le risulta che data porta la relazione della Stefanoni depositata...
CONSULENTE - Se mi fa la domanda sarà 12... sì quindi immagino... allora a questo punto collegato, era infatti... ho messo che cosa significa perché era una mia... non avevo capito quindi va bene.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - E le risulta se c’è una... le risulta quand’è che alla Polizia Scientifica è stata comunicata l’iscrizione degli indagati?
CONSULENTE - No, non lo so, a questo punto immagino sia 12/11/2007, ho dedotto giusto?
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Perché ha una datazione diversa a seconda se il procedimento è ancora contro ignoti e allora si fanno le estrazioni contro ignoti e poi...
CONSULENTE - Io rilevavo solo che non riuscivo a capire questa discordanza tra le due date, adesso ho la risposta va benissimo.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - All’inizio delle operazioni poi nel procedimento è diventato contro noti.
CONSULENTE - Contro noti, va bene.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Il fatto che... insomma a proposito delle date in generale, la data che mancano alcune date...
CONSULENTE - Sì per esempio qui...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Relative...
CONSULENTE - Si riferisce a questa, all’amplificazione...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, va be’ mettiamo anche che fosse esatto il suo rilievo anche se mi si dice che certe operazioni non sono proprio state fatte oltre la prima, ma insomma mettiamo che fosse esatto il suo rilievo ai fini del risultato finale il fatto che manchi nei S.A.L. qualche data che cosa comporta?
CONSULENTE - Ma io...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Cioè ai fini proprio del risultato finale dal punto di vista tecnico scientifico perché l’aspetto formale, amministrativo, giuridico, organizzativo come dire burocratico eccetera voglio dire è una cosa che non attiene alle sue specifiche competenze.
CONSULENTE - No certo. Allora diciamo che la rilevanza che avevo fatto di mancanza di date per quanto riguarda la quantificazione e l’elettroforesi capillare le ho risolte da sola nel senso qui mancano però le troviamo da altre parti e quindi sono delle indicazioni che noi abbiamo e che ci sono utili nell’esame della documentazione, nell’esame delle indagini che sono state effettuate, invece quello che manca proprio cioè che non c’è da nessuna parte in tutti i documenti che noi abbiamo avuto a disposizione è questa data delle amplificazioni, adesso io le faccio l’esempio del laboratorio dove lavoro, per esempio anche noi abbiamo dovuto creare una scheda nei registri dove indichiamo però la data esatta di quando è stata fatta l’amplificazione perché così vediamo quali campioni anche di casi differenti vengono amplificati insieme proprio per fare questo controllo anche relativo alle possibili contaminazioni che esistono all’interno del laboratorio, allora a me come consulente di parte il sapere o non sapere se in quel giorno sono stati amplificati dieci campioni che contenevano il DNA della vittima e questo campione 36 B capisce che forse mi può interessare perché comunque visto che abbiamo detto alla quantificazione il reperto 36 B dà too low quindi l’indicazione di questa incertezza nella quantità di DNA che poteva essere pari a zero capisce che mi viene il dubbio che ci sia stata una contaminazione nelle operazioni successive di amplificazione però io non posso verificarlo finché non so quali campioni sono stati amplificati insieme.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Va bene, quindi questi dati le sarebbero serviti in buona sostanza non al fine di apprezzare la bontà degli accertamenti ma al fine di verificare la possibilità di contaminazione.
CONSULENTE - Uno e due per verificare se realmente nessuno dei campioni che c’è stato consegnato non sia stato amplificato per esempio due volte, tre volte perché può capitare, perché può capitare che magari una reazione di amplificazione ma questo lo dico per esperienza personale venga male perché magari in quel momento ti sei distratto, ti sei dimenticato di aggiungere qualcosa oppure venga male perché hai fatto male i conti, è vero che hai quantificato però la quantità di DNA non è quella ideale quindi decidi di amplificare successivamente per ottenere ovviamente sempre il risultato migliore che tu possa ottenere è ovvio che... sapere se una traccia è stata amplificata più volte mi dà anche delle informazioni in più e soprattutto per quelle tracce che erano abbiamo detto pari ad una... contenevano una quantità di DNA inferiore ai 200 picogrammi che abbiamo detto l’altra volta essere il limite per considerare una traccia low copy number e quindi sapere se per esempio sono state eseguite... non parlo solo della traccia 36 B parlo in generale di tutte quelle tracce che hanno dato dei risultati inferiori alla quantificazione di 200 picogrammi, se per esempio anche per quello è stata ripetuta l’amplificazione oppure no.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Nei fogli che lei ha potuto esaminare dopo il deposito della fine di luglio ci sono... c’è la lista delle quantificazioni?
CONSULENTE - C’è la lista delle...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Dei campioni quantificati?
CONSULENTE - Sì c’è la lista dei campioni quantificati, infatti per quanto riguarda la quantificazione io so esattamente quando sono stati quantificati."
----------



So it's the PIP who's made the error.

The discussion on Massei was with defense consultant Sarah Gino, not Stefanoni, and Stefanoni never said the TMB tests were negative for those samples.

Will the aforesaid posters apologise for calling one a "liar"?

I see Numbers caught it too but didn't have the grace to correct Stacyhs. et al.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3361
__________________
...hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

~Rev 3:11

Last edited by Vixen; 10th April 2017 at 01:56 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 02:03 AM   #3372
Vixen
Philosopher
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 9,207
Originally Posted by NotEvenWrong View Post
Vixen,
Here is a passage from Massei:



You have been arguing your case for 8 years now. You made a claim about Massei's statement regarding TMB. A quick text search of the Massei report shows that he said the EXACT OPPOSITE. Why are you deliberately lying about everything?

Or do you have your conclusion set in stone in your mind and you reason backwards and make up facts to fit your conclusion, then lie and claim they were in various reports? This could explain why you are never right about anything you say on here, FYI.



Luminol also acts with a ton of other substances. Why in your next paragraph do you talk as if the only two possibilities are they stepped in parsnip or horseradish sauce? Is it an attempt to distract and manipulate based on incomplete information? Or are you actually convinced anything you write is correct?





Well, now with my reply refuting what you wrote it is certainly a lot more clear that you have an agenda.

See above.
__________________
...hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

~Rev 3:11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 02:04 AM   #3373
Vixen
Philosopher
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 9,207
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
It's hard to know how to respond when posters post patently wrong info. 180-degree wrong info.

If that's pointed out it's called "personalizing" the response, addressing the poster and not the poster's "argument".

Consistent posts like this attract comments about posters who consistently persue this as an agenda.

This is before considering the way they defend people like Stefanoni who patently DID withhold info from the court and the defence. They hide behind allowing the prosecution, and worse, Stefanoni herself decide what the defense can see. One defended it by saying if the defense were allowed to see everything, there's no telling what the defence would do to it.

How do we talk about the **consistent** posts like this without at some point wondering why the poster would......

...... do something like say something about Massei's court, which is the exact opposite of what he'd written?

Please see above, and may I ask you to be careful about personalising your comments.
__________________
...hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

~Rev 3:11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 06:38 AM   #3374
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I looked up the translation and from there went to the original Massei document in Italian (on page 275 of the Italian original). The section Stacyhs et al cite is within a discussion about testimony by Dr. Gino on 26 Sept 2009, and the page numbers referred to by Massei are of Dr. Gino’s testimony and cross-exam by Dr. Comodi. Dr. Gino reviewed the SALs after they were given to the court by Dr. Stefanoni in July. I don’t believe Dr. Stefanoni ever had a chance to rebut any known inaccuracies in the SALs- she is not listed as a witness on that day’s testimony.

Perhaps Dr. Comodi mentions it, but one would have to read the entire testimony of 26 Sept 09 very carefully to see.

In any case I’m copying here the relevant testimony cited:

PRESIDENTE - Non ci sono altre domande, per il controesame solo ovviamente su questo ultimo aspetto perché era già stato esaurito.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì, sì, ma infatti sarò brevissima.
PRESIDENTE - Prego Pubblico Ministero.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - A proposito di quest’ultimo argomento le risulta... é risultato negativo quell’accertamento se è sangue oppure altro materiale che reagisce comunque a quell’esame al TMB ma le risulta che sia stato trovato DNA di Amanda su quelle tracce di cui stiamo parlando?
CONSULENTE - Allora aspetti che vado alla mia diapositiva perché così a memoria potrei dire delle cose che non sono corrette, allora noi abbiamo trovato per esempio la 178 ci dice che da quel materiale è stato estratto un profilo della Knox, 179 idem, 180 idem.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, quindi magari non potendo affermare con certezza che si tratti di sangue umano oppure di altro materiale potremmo comunque escludere che si tratti di un animale visto che c’è DNA umano?
CONSULENTE - Beh allora ritorniamo di nuovo sul DNA umano che potrebbe derivare non da sangue ma come abbiamo già detto l’altra volta potrebbe derivare...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Da materiale biologico.
CONSULENTE - Da saliva, cellule di sfaldamento.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì certo.
CONSULENTE - Ecco, esatto.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Sì certo, però dico c’è un dato... da un lato c’è il dato negativo a quella...
CONSULENTE - Alla tetrametilbenzidina, sì alla TMB.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, a quell’esame lì per cui non si è potuto stabilire che cosa fosse quel materiale insomma che è stato analizzato, giusto?
CONSULENTE - Sì.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Quanto meno non si è potuto stabilire che fosse sangue, però dico conferma che è stato trovato DNA della Knox?
CONSULENTE - Certo, il profilo genetico della Knox è stato trovato.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Okay e a proposito sempre di questa TMB, di questa analisi a livello percentuale secondo la sua esperienza, questa analisi fatta su tracce esaltate con il luminol sono più i casi in cui risulta negativa l’analisi, questo tipo di... è negativa la TMB o sono più i casi in cui risulta positiva?
CONSULENTE - Dunque, direi che possiamo dire è un 50 per cento perché alcune volte il luminol dà delle tracce positive che poi in realtà alla TMB risultano negative e altre volte... io direi un 50 e 50 non posso né dire sì né dire no da una parte o dall’altra.
PRESIDENTE - Scusi, magari TMB se ci può dare spiegazioni?
CONSULENTE - E’ la tetrametilbenzidina la TMB, è l’acronimo che viene...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - E’ una reazione in sostanza, che cos’è una reazione?
CONSULENTE - Sì, sì, è una reazione clorimetrica che avviene in presenza di tetrametilbenzidina, una volta si usava la benzidina poi hanno visto che essendo cancerogena era meglio toglierla dal commercio e quindi viene utilizzata... ma è esattamente lo stesso principio se voi avete presenti gli stick che vengono utilizzati per verificare la presenza ad esempio di sangue nelle urine funziona esattamente nello stesso modo quindi abbiamo una reazione clorimetrica.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Va bene, l’altra domanda ma forse lei ha già implicitamente risposto perché tornando alle schede S.A.L. va be’ a parte le sue prime... i suoi primi interrogativi data alla scrittura...
CONSULENTE - Allora è la prima slide che ho fatto vedere su questa cosa qui.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Data alla scrittura 12 giugno 2008.
CONSULENTE - Sì.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Le risulta che data porta la relazione della Stefanoni depositata...
CONSULENTE - Se mi fa la domanda sarà 12... sì quindi immagino... allora a questo punto collegato, era infatti... ho messo che cosa significa perché era una mia... non avevo capito quindi va bene.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - E le risulta se c’è una... le risulta quand’è che alla Polizia Scientifica è stata comunicata l’iscrizione degli indagati?
CONSULENTE - No, non lo so, a questo punto immagino sia 12/11/2007, ho dedotto giusto?
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Perché ha una datazione diversa a seconda se il procedimento è ancora contro ignoti e allora si fanno le estrazioni contro ignoti e poi...
CONSULENTE - Io rilevavo solo che non riuscivo a capire questa discordanza tra le due date, adesso ho la risposta va benissimo.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - All’inizio delle operazioni poi nel procedimento è diventato contro noti.
CONSULENTE - Contro noti, va bene.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Il fatto che... insomma a proposito delle date in generale, la data che mancano alcune date...
CONSULENTE - Sì per esempio qui...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Relative...
CONSULENTE - Si riferisce a questa, all’amplificazione...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Ecco, va be’ mettiamo anche che fosse esatto il suo rilievo anche se mi si dice che certe operazioni non sono proprio state fatte oltre la prima, ma insomma mettiamo che fosse esatto il suo rilievo ai fini del risultato finale il fatto che manchi nei S.A.L. qualche data che cosa comporta?
CONSULENTE - Ma io...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Cioè ai fini proprio del risultato finale dal punto di vista tecnico scientifico perché l’aspetto formale, amministrativo, giuridico, organizzativo come dire burocratico eccetera voglio dire è una cosa che non attiene alle sue specifiche competenze.
CONSULENTE - No certo. Allora diciamo che la rilevanza che avevo fatto di mancanza di date per quanto riguarda la quantificazione e l’elettroforesi capillare le ho risolte da sola nel senso qui mancano però le troviamo da altre parti e quindi sono delle indicazioni che noi abbiamo e che ci sono utili nell’esame della documentazione, nell’esame delle indagini che sono state effettuate, invece quello che manca proprio cioè che non c’è da nessuna parte in tutti i documenti che noi abbiamo avuto a disposizione è questa data delle amplificazioni, adesso io le faccio l’esempio del laboratorio dove lavoro, per esempio anche noi abbiamo dovuto creare una scheda nei registri dove indichiamo però la data esatta di quando è stata fatta l’amplificazione perché così vediamo quali campioni anche di casi differenti vengono amplificati insieme proprio per fare questo controllo anche relativo alle possibili contaminazioni che esistono all’interno del laboratorio, allora a me come consulente di parte il sapere o non sapere se in quel giorno sono stati amplificati dieci campioni che contenevano il DNA della vittima e questo campione 36 B capisce che forse mi può interessare perché comunque visto che abbiamo detto alla quantificazione il reperto 36 B dà too low quindi l’indicazione di questa incertezza nella quantità di DNA che poteva essere pari a zero capisce che mi viene il dubbio che ci sia stata una contaminazione nelle operazioni successive di amplificazione però io non posso verificarlo finché non so quali campioni sono stati amplificati insieme.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Va bene, quindi questi dati le sarebbero serviti in buona sostanza non al fine di apprezzare la bontà degli accertamenti ma al fine di verificare la possibilità di contaminazione.
CONSULENTE - Uno e due per verificare se realmente nessuno dei campioni che c’è stato consegnato non sia stato amplificato per esempio due volte, tre volte perché può capitare, perché può capitare che magari una reazione di amplificazione ma questo lo dico per esperienza personale venga male perché magari in quel momento ti sei distratto, ti sei dimenticato di aggiungere qualcosa oppure venga male perché hai fatto male i conti, è vero che hai quantificato però la quantità di DNA non è quella ideale quindi decidi di amplificare successivamente per ottenere ovviamente sempre il risultato migliore che tu possa ottenere è ovvio che... sapere se una traccia è stata amplificata più volte mi dà anche delle informazioni in più e soprattutto per quelle tracce che erano abbiamo detto pari ad una... contenevano una quantità di DNA inferiore ai 200 picogrammi che abbiamo detto l’altra volta essere il limite per considerare una traccia low copy number e quindi sapere se per esempio sono state eseguite... non parlo solo della traccia 36 B parlo in generale di tutte quelle tracce che hanno dato dei risultati inferiori alla quantificazione di 200 picogrammi, se per esempio anche per quello è stata ripetuta l’amplificazione oppure no.
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Nei fogli che lei ha potuto esaminare dopo il deposito della fine di luglio ci sono... c’è la lista delle quantificazioni?
CONSULENTE - C’è la lista delle...
PUBBLICO MINISTERO DOTT.SSA COMODI - Dei campioni quantificati?
CONSULENTE - Sì c’è la lista dei campioni quantificati, infatti per quanto riguarda la quantificazione io so esattamente quando sono stati quantificati."
----------



So it's the PIP who's made the error.

The discussion on Massei was with defense consultant Sarah Gino, not Stefanoni, and Stefanoni never said the TMB tests were negative for those samples.

Will the aforesaid posters apologise for calling one a "liar"?

I see Numbers caught it too but didn't have the grace to correct Stacyhs. et al.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3361
So what's your point? When Stefanoni testified she indicated no other tests were performed on the traces. After the court ordered the SALs to be turned over to the defense, it was Dr Gino who discovered that TMB tests were performed and they were negative. It matters not WHO testified to what, what does matter is none of the Luminol traces tested positive for blood, and further, most also tested negative for Meredith's DNA. This is just another effort on your part to obfuscate the facts concerning the Luminol traces.

So again, care to try to explain the three traces from Amanda's room which were negative TMB, negative for Meredith's DNA but positive for Amanda's DNA. HOW are those traces made from Meredith's blood? Hint: "Because there was a lot of Meredith's blood in the room next door and what else could it be" are NOT answers.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 07:01 AM   #3375
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 11,905
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
So what's your point? When Stefanoni testified she indicated no other tests were performed on the traces. After the court ordered the SALs to be turned over to the defense, it was Dr Gino who discovered that TMB tests were performed and they were negative. It matters not WHO testified to what, what does matter is none of the Luminol traces tested positive for blood, and further, most also tested negative for Meredith's DNA. This is just another effort on your part to obfuscate the facts concerning the Luminol traces.

So again, care to try to explain the three traces from Amanda's room which were negative TMB, negative for Meredith's DNA but positive for Amanda's DNA. HOW are those traces made from Meredith's blood? Hint: "Because there was a lot of Meredith's blood in the room next door and what else could it be" are NOT answers.
So......

A poster here posts a pic of the window below Filomena's to show that it did not have bars on it, except that the pic showed that there were.....

The same poster here posted what she claimed was an observation by Postal Police Battistelli about Knox's demeanor at the scene, and then even that poster backtracked admitting (implying) she (the poster) had just made the whole thing up.....

And now that same poster has provided an Italian language of testimony that few of us here can read (probably even her!) that makes absolutely no point, with regard to the issue at hand....

...... and further claims that Numbers had essentially posted the same erroneous conclusion, but accused Numbers of not having the courtesy to inform the thread.....

Then we find out that this is yet another in a long, long, long series of "so what" responses she has made to this thread to extend meaningless claims unduly.

This describes the behaviour of the poster.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 10th April 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 09:17 AM   #3376
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin
 
kmortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Texas (aka Southern Tier)
Posts: 29,659
Mod InfoThis has gotten too long. A Part 25 has been opened.
Posted By:kmortis
__________________
-Aberhaten did it
- "Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker?" Randall Munroe
-Director of Independent Determining Inquisitor Of Crazy Yapping
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.