ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ethics , morality

Reply
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:58 AM   #521
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Life can live without duplicating, it cannot duplicate without living. That is why 'self preservation' is the most basic instinct, it is universal.
Even this much requires things like thinking of an insect colony as an individual, and adding the caveat ‘self, or egg’ for things like cephalopods.

I’m pleased to see that these days, more posters point out that while you can do lots of science with your axioms, your axioms themselves cannot really be scientific. A person must choose what criteria they are using and which goals they think are correct. They can say why they considered x or y goal to be universal but that’s still just, like, their opinion, man.

Science can say what’s better for/at (thing) but it can’t tell you what’s better full stop. You have to slot values in on your own.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:04 AM   #522
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Morality has to do with what is considered right and wrong, good and bad. Correct?
Yes, I think that's the bedrock of it.

Quote:
I'm looking at life as a whole to highlight things are universally good and bad as a foundation. What is wrong with this approach?
Well as I said, what's wrong with it is that you have not established such a universal.

Quote:
Look at how life on the planet changed, proliferated and spread once eukaryotes evolved. The same for multi-cellular life. The same for nervous systems. The same for social behaviour. Symbiosis. Stuff like that.
New strategies have evolved, for sure. But they each come with a cost. What's to say that humans are more successful than salmonella? We both eat and reproduce, so we've got the basics.

Quote:
There is a definite trend in evolution towards cooperation, it evolved at multiple levels and life became more successful as a result.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Cooperation to any appreciable scale isn't as common as its complement. I still think you're anthropomorph... morphing. Gods, I hate that word.

Quote:
In this case I mean 'successful' as in it allowed life to explore more options and exploit more niches previously unavailable
I don't want to sound overly pedantic or confrontational, but how is that not, to use your own words, "some criteria you happen like"? What's special or objective about exploring more options and exploiting more niches?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:14 AM   #523
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
I mean, and it’s trivially easy to go wrong with axiomatic morality too; think of the fictional ‘oops’ AI scenario where the robot figures it’s a good idea to eliminate all suffering by not having anything be alive anymore. It’s not wrong, is it? Or do you think you can prove scientifically that life is better than barren rocks? How much better does it have to be before it’s ‘worth’ the inevitable suffering? How can you possibly answer that with science rather than opinions and/or feelings?
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:21 AM   #524
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,596
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
I mean, and it’s trivially easy to go wrong with axiomatic morality too; think of the fictional ‘oops’ AI scenario where the robot figures it’s a good idea to eliminate all suffering by not having anything be alive anymore. It’s not wrong, is it? Or do you think you can prove scientifically that life is better than barren rocks? How much better does it have to be before it’s ‘worth’ the inevitable suffering? How can you possibly answer that with science rather than opinions and/or feelings?
To be fair, that's why nobody uses negative utilitarianism. Positive utilitarianism (maximizing happiness, rather than minimizing suffering) has its own set of problems, but none as cool as the biggest nuclear explosion ever though.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:06 AM   #525
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
To be fair, that's why nobody uses negative utilitarianism. Positive utilitarianism (maximizing happiness, rather than minimizing suffering) has its own set of problems, but none as cool as the biggest nuclear explosion ever though.
True, but I think that looking at ‘ways of looking at morality that don’t work’ is great fun. Like, I think it’s a natural first principle that people want to go for in 2 am freshman philosophy, to try out negative utilitarianism first, because it’s easier to say what you don’t want.

In any case I don’t think that you can’t actually make a scientific argument for moral principles. You can axiomatically declare that having some life around is better than not having any life around, but you can’t prove it, and if you can’t prove that you certainly can’t prove that having a really good time is better than having a **** time. You can always push it back by one more why. Why is it better to have a good time? Because it improves health metrics. Why is it better to be more healthy? Because then xyz. Why is it better to xyz? Etc etc.

I’m not trying to say morality is not useful but pretending it’s objective is obnoxious. And so it’s a face plant off the starting line to go ‘ok we have to work out what objective morality is and we can all agree on it, and then we can all start working together on it for a better world.’ I think it’s far better to go ‘we have to work out what moral principles most of us can agree on, and then we can all start working together on it for a better world.’

If that’s just a semantic difference to you then what are you doing here on page 14 or whatever? I get that it feels satisfying to go “slavery was always objectively wrong” and it feels like the ‘lite’ version to go “slavery was always subjectively wrong by criteria a b and c but a lot of people thought it was fine because of criteria d and e and also it made some people a lot of money so it kept going for quite a while, and continues in spirit today,” but I’m pretty sure that being subjectively wrong is already the most amount of wrong something can be, morally.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:28 AM   #526
epeeist
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 481
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't have an idiosyncratic definition, here. Objective is something that is true for all; that cannot NOT be true for all. Opinions are not objective, but the fact that you hold said opinions is.



None whatsoever. That's my point, really. Morality has always been dependant on the person or group. I'm asking those who claim that there could be an objective morality how it would work: how we could detect it, what it would look like, what consequences it would have, etc. So far zilch.



I have no idea how you got from here to there.



There is no such thing as an objective moral value.
Isn't your belief that morality is always subjective, itself an objective moral principle? Your objective moral principle is that, every person or group defines their own morality which is morally right for them.
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:44 AM   #527
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by epeeist View Post
Isn't your belief that morality is always subjective, itself an objective moral principle? Your objective moral principle is that, every person or group defines their own morality which is morally right for them.
I think that’s an observation, not a principle. Similarly, it’s not my objective moral principle that objects go down when dropped, but we can’t put it past humans to come up with the idea that it’s morally right for things to be on the ground.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:54 AM   #528
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by epeeist View Post
Isn't your belief that morality is always subjective, itself an objective moral principle?
Does it prescribe a behaviour or assign a value to one? No, ergo no.

What do you think moral principles are?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:34 AM   #529
Tony99
Muse
 
Tony99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 812
Yet to be convinced of any objective morality, but is there a functional difference between 'self preservation' and 'self interest'?
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:13 AM   #530
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Is it not obvious? Life can live without duplicating, it cannot duplicate without living. That is why 'self preservation' is the most basic instinct, it is universal.
I would say that there is something more fundamental to life than either self-preservation or reproduction. Those are both strategies for achieving the preservation of genes.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:18 AM   #531
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I would say that there is something more fundamental to life than either self-preservation or reproduction. Those are both strategies for achieving the preservation of genes.
And not necessarily your own, as demonstrated by many species including ants and bees. And eunuchs.

Anyway, I struggle to imagine that anyone would call the copying of genes to be an objective moral imperative.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:51 AM   #532
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And not necessarily your own, as demonstrated by many species including ants and bees. And eunuchs.

Anyway, I struggle to imagine that anyone would call the copying of genes to be an objective moral imperative.
Yes, it is more about preserving the information content of the genes than the particular molecules.

I just thew this out there. I don't see how the discussion of the fundamental nature of life has anything to do with morality. I am in the no objective morality camp.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:55 AM   #533
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Right. I didn't think you meant anything more than that. I was adding to your point.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:19 PM   #534
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,596
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
True, but I think that looking at ‘ways of looking at morality that don’t work’ is great fun.
Yes I agree, it's why I choose "going out with the biggest bang ever" rather than something mundane like "everyone shoots themselves."
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:29 PM   #535
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yes I agree, it's why I choose "going out with the biggest bang ever" rather than something mundane like "everyone shoots themselves."
I think everyone shoots themselves is a great idea!

On the count of three: ONE...TWO...THREE...BANG!

Suckers! I just inherited the whole world!
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:06 PM   #536
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Long post is long!!

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That is the thing. If there was an objective morality and I knew what that objective morality was then I could make reasoned arguments to show what is right and not right.

If others knew what the objective morality was then they would be able to set out those arguments.

But as I don't know any such arguments and have never heard any then, even if there was an objective morality then I don't know what it is and apparently neither does anyone else, so the only motivation for my actions is still that which I want.

And also, no-one has given me any reason to think that there should be any such thing as an objective morality, or what sort of thing it should be.
Yep.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again when it comes down to "Well why care about suffering" I don't have an answer. I get this is a point of disagreement but I sort of feel that "suffering is bad and we shouldn't want it in ourself or others" is a reasonable place to just... start the discussion.
Sure. The problem of this thread in particular is that we started early with ‘let’s define what’s moral and make sure we can defend those definitions so we can all agree and move forward’ instead of ‘let’s define some axioms, chew over what works for us, and see what kind of functional framework of morality we can get going.’

For example, apparently it’s already well known that negative utilitarianism has serious drawbacks, since first of all you have to tape on the obvious corollaries, because the most surefire way to eliminate suffering is to eliminate the capacity for suffering. So an early step in the debate you want to have (as opposed to the one we’re having) would be to propose, then withdraw or elaborate on, ‘minimize suffering,’ and move on to ‘maximize well-being,’ and then start chewing on what well-being means.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We can't achieve moral answers while in the same breath denying the concept of moral answers exist.
Sure we can, if we don’t freak out over the idea that they’re provisional, as opposed to True.

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
A problem with ethical subjectivism (as it's being related in this thread) is that it requires us to say that if A held X at point t, A was correct to do so, and if A then held ~X at t+1, A was again correct to do so, despite the fact that one view is the negation of the other. This tends to make subjectivism difficult to distinguish from nihilism.
I think you’re injecting the ‘correct’ into that set of ideas there. Those were A’s old moral judgements, now he has new ones; A, today, thinks he was wrong when he considers his past position. He obviously did not consider it wrong back when he held it. The whole point of ethical subjectivism is that there isn’t any ‘correct’ to be, besides what we give it, and we give it such an astonishing breadth of things that absolute consensus is impossible.

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Someone who answers "Why did Rome fall?" with "Because it existed. You see, it was necessary for Rome to exist before it could fall" is just full of ****. That's not what we're asking when we ask "Why did Rome fall?" We are looking for specific causes, not any old necessary condition.

Similarly, someone who answers "What is the basis with morality?" with "Empathy is the basis of morality. You see, without empathy, morality could not exist" is full of ****. When we ask for a basis for morality, we are not asking for any old necessary condition. We are specifically looking for a logical and philosophical foundation.
Really? For me empathy is a pretty serious underpinning of morality. I see morality as a combination/uneasy truce of ‘how are we going to get all these people to get along reasonably well? I want to live, eat and have stuff, and so do all these people and there are some conflicts of interest’ and ‘can we do that and also try to help and respect everybody? It makes me feel bad to think of people suffering, even if I’m ok.’

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Morals are always a product of information and values. Science is a source of information and nothing more. I'm in favor of promoting science as it offers our best source of accurate information.

I think we SHOULD or OUGHT to value increasing overall well being and personal freedom. Well being doesn't mean necessarily a reduction in suffering or an increase in happiness and personal freedom doesn't mean you can do what you please. And there is no question at times these values can be conflicting. So it's not always easy to solve that dilemma.

But of course, this is a reflection of my values.
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Morality must be a function of utility in order to be sustainable: high ideals don't last long against reality.
I like these thoughts.

In looking for some basic principles to aim for as a goal of morality, a few people here have skirted and I’d like to emphasize, in addition to the positive goals of health and whatever comprises well being: a chance at self-determination, opportunity, mobility, if it is wanted.

In morality 101 what do they say? A moral society is what? One that rewards effort fairly? One that treats its members equitably? One that provides welfare for the needy? One that provides its members some kind of buffer from the effects of crime, war, natural disaster? One that protects its common resources from exploitation? One that protects its members from exploitation?
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 03:35 AM   #537
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Belz... and Lithrael, everyone.
Originally Posted by Lithrael
A person must choose what criteria they are using and which goals they think are correct.
My reasoning, where do I go wrong, trying to be subjective.

Morals and ethics are about what is good and bad.
As such it's domain of applicability would be all that are able to experience good and bad.
Do all that are able to experience good and bad have any universal values concerning good and bad?
Yes, they all want well-being.
What is well-being?
Science can tell not only what it is, but why it is and what all experience it.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 05:35 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 03:57 AM   #538
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by Tony99 View Post
Yet to be convinced of any objective morality, but is there a functional difference between 'self preservation' and 'self interest'?
In evolutionary terms YES!
Which, I suppose, means yes... definitely.

Evolution of Cooperation: Combining Kin Selection and Reciprocal Altruism into Matrix Games with Social Dilemmas

Kin Selection

Reciprocal Altruism
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 05:44 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 04:03 AM   #539
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I would say that there is something more fundamental to life than either self-preservation or reproduction. Those are both strategies for achieving the preservation of genes.
Yes, totally agree.
You and Belz... and most seem to be missing the point.
Good and bad are feelings, feelings have evolved specifically because it preserved genes.
Science can tell us all about how that works and why.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Anyway, I struggle to imagine that anyone would call the copying of genes to be an objective moral imperative.

Our morals and ethics are based on feelings that have evolved in a social context because it was successful in preserving genes. Again, science can tell us all about how that works and why.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Forgot the last . on Belz...
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 06:17 AM   #540
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
The concept of 'well-being' is so apt in this context where literally everything we are discussing is based on feelings.
Feelings based on genes. Feelings that lead to behaviour that enabled the genes to spread through the population, replacing genes that had resulted in different, less successful feelings and behaviour.


If strings are the basic units of matter (who knows ), I think well-being might be like the string of feelings or something.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 06:27 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 06:39 AM   #541
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Yes, totally agree.
You and Belz... and most seem to be missing the point.
Good and bad are feelings, feelings have evolved specifically because it preserved genes.
Science can tell us all about how that works and why.



Our morals and ethics are based on feelings that have evolved in a social context because it was successful in preserving genes. Again, science can tell us all about how that works and why.
I am not seeing how this connects to objective morality.

What feels good and feels bad is often different from what is good and bad for you because evolution can't see the bigger picture. For example overeating feels good and exercising feels bad to many people.

Similarly our sense of morality evolved in the context of competing tribes and so what seems intuitively good and bad to us may not be in our best interests for survival in a global culture.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:05 AM   #542
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I am not seeing how this connects to objective morality.

What feels good and feels bad is often different from what is good and bad for you because evolution can't see the bigger picture. For example overeating feels good and exercising feels bad to many people.

Similarly our sense of morality evolved in the context of competing tribes and so what seems intuitively good and bad to us may not be in our best interests for survival in a global culture.
I agree. While Cheetah probably has something in mind like ‘science tells us we want sweet things so badly because of these reasons in our evolutionary history, so we can figure out that the optimal amount of sweet things is actually x,’ only for morals, it sounds fraught with natural fallacy type problems. A culture of bedbugs would have to argue that the reason you want to stab your mate any old place is really just because it successfully spreads genes, and that morally you should not do that because it negatively impacts her health and now that you’re civilized, you have time to go look for her actual sex organs. Sorry, tangent, I just got a bunch of field mite bites so bugs are on my mind.

There’s so many human behaviors that are good at spreading genes but that are also on a continuum, like, a population will have members that are very empathetic and members that are sociopathic, because both work when both are present, but no society will function if they are all one way or the other, so how do you take that bell curve and have science tell us what, out of all that, we ought to be aiming for?

Actually JR already put it better than I did but oh well.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:13 AM   #543
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
I am not seeing how this connects to objective morality.
Is this objective?
Morality is a direct result of gene survival in the environment it evolved in
Quote:
What feels good and feels bad is often different from what is good and bad for you because evolution can't see the bigger picture. For example overeating feels good and exercising feels bad to many people.

Similarly our sense of morality evolved in the context of competing tribes and so what seems intuitively good and bad to us may not be in our best interests for survival in a global culture.
Yes exactly, our morality is optimized for a tribal lifestyle, competing for limited resources, as are our appetites. The world we live in now is much different, some feelings that were productive and necessary in the past are now counterproductive, the environment has changed.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 12:08 PM   #544
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,623
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Yes exactly, our morality is optimized for a tribal lifestyle, competing for limited resources, as are our appetites. The world we live in now is much different, some feelings that were productive and necessary in the past are now counterproductive, the environment has changed.
What does that do to your concept of objective moral frameworks, though, if morals have changed over the past 15,000 years?

I think maybe that your value system includes the idea of "sustainability" somewhere, but that's just a guess.

ETA: If morality has changed, or should change, to accommodate today's lifestyle.

Last edited by Minoosh; 24th August 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 04:00 PM   #545
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,842
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What does that do to your concept of objective moral frameworks, though, if morals have changed over the past 15,000 years?
Certainly some have changed. But don't you think some have endured? Prohibitions against murder, theft, perjury even battery are pervasive in almost all cultures. And I can understand how prohibitions against adultery were much more appropriate in the past then they are today.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:05 PM   #546
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,623
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Certainly some have changed. But don't you think some have endured? Prohibitions against murder, theft, perjury even battery are pervasive in almost all cultures. And I can understand how prohibitions against adultery were much more appropriate in the past then they are today.
That's why I don't mind 6 or so of the 10 Commandments - there is a universal, pragmatic quality to them. Even then, though, I imagine that definitions of "murder" have changed over the centuries. Human sacrifice had its fans and infanticide was a thing.

I once read that mate-swapping in Inuit circles was simply a practical necessity. Life was so difficult that you needed 2 people to undertake a journey. If your wife couldn't make it, somebody else's probably could. But I don't know how accurate that report was.

Last edited by Minoosh; 24th August 2019 at 09:07 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:56 PM   #547
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What does that do to your concept of objective moral frameworks, though, if morals have changed over the past 15,000 years?
It hasn't changed in much longer than that.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think maybe that your value system includes the idea of "sustainability" somewhere, but that's just a guess.
Why don't people believe me when I say I'm making it up as I go? I honestly have not thought this through to any conclusion.
For now we seem to be stuck at the foundation, but I really like the idea of sustainability.


Edit: I just had some thoughts. I think if you take my chum* in post #537 as valid and strive to optimize individual well-being, the conclusion reached might be to "minimize conflict and maximize cooperation". It might conceivably depend on particulars in the environment under consideration, I really don't know.


*I decided to call it Cheetah's Hypothesis of Universal Morality
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:58 PM   #548
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Certainly some have changed. But don't you think some have endured? Prohibitions against murder, theft, perjury even battery are pervasive in almost all cultures. And I can understand how prohibitions against adultery were much more appropriate in the past then they are today.



Cultural differences are merely distortions of the underlying, shared morality that evolved. Culture and circumstance suppress some aspects and inflate others. The details don't really matter and are only a distraction. Yet most keep focusing on the leaves on the trees in the forest.
This sideline on 'Homo sapiens morals' started because some people appear to deny that morals and ethics evolved.


Belzz..., Lithrael, jrhowel?
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 24th August 2019 at 10:04 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 06:03 AM   #549
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Cultural differences are merely distortions of the underlying, shared morality that evolved. Culture and circumstance suppress some aspects and inflate others. The details don't really matter and are only a distraction. Yet most keep focusing on the leaves on the trees in the forest.
This sideline on 'Homo sapiens morals' started because some people appear to deny that morals and ethics evolved.

Belzz..., Lithrael, jrhowel?
I believe that our feelings of what is moral behavior are a product of evolution and are influenced by our upbringing and culture. Having these feelings is a survival strategy that evolved because we existed for a long time as a social species grouped into competing tribes.

I don't believe that our feelings of what is right and wrong are objectively right and wrong. (Or that anything is or can be objectively right/wrong.) For many individuals those feelings include a certain amount of aggression toward those who are not considered to be part of the individual's group. I do not believe that make aggression toward outsiders is objectively good just because it is part of our evolved moral makeup.

Last edited by jrhowell; 25th August 2019 at 06:07 AM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 10:08 AM   #550
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I don't believe that our feelings of what is right and wrong are objectively right and wrong. (Or that anything is or can be objectively right/wrong.)
That is the accepted view and I expect most who do not believe in some supernatural origin of morals would probably agree.
I believe morals have a materialistic origin and can be traced back to personal well-being.

Do you admit that if personal well-being is a universal moral imperative, that it would then be possible, in theory at least, to calculate whether an act is morally wrong or right?



Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
For many individuals those feelings include a certain amount of aggression toward those who are not considered to be part of the individual's group. I do not believe that make aggression toward outsiders is objectively good just because it is part of our evolved moral makeup.
We agree of course, neither do I.
What any individual feels like doing at any time does not necessarily have anything to do with what is morally right, in fact quite the opposite. How could it?
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 25th August 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #551
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Do you admit that if personal well-being is a universal moral imperative, that it would then be possible, in theory at least, to calculate whether an act is morally wrong or right?
No, I disagree. Unless you have an agreed, concrete, objective definition of "well-being" you have no basis to derive anything else from it. I do not believe that is possible. Even if you could, that is morality for an individual. How do you then balance the well-being of individuals against each other when they are in conflict?

Most of can agree on some basics, such as murder and theft is bad and charity is good. But I don't see that you are going to be able to objectively solve the hard problems. Is abortion moral or immoral? How about alcohol consumption? Capitol punishment? Eating meat? Eating plants? And so on..
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 11:24 PM   #552
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
No, I disagree. Unless you have an agreed, concrete, objective definition of "well-being" you have no basis to derive anything else from it. I do not believe that is possible.
MMMmmmmm, well-beinnggg....
How about:

Well-being is the state of a nervous-system when engaging in behaviors that lead to the successful spread of it's genes.

It's simple, concrete, objective and universally applicable.
Do you agree now?
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Even if you could, that is morality for an individual. How do you then balance the well-being of individuals against each other when they are in conflict?
It is not morality for an individual, why do you say that? Morality is 100% a social thing.
Why does everyone keep focusing on individuals and specifics when we are discussing a basic framework?
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Most of can agree on some basics, such as murder and theft is bad and charity is good. But I don't see that you are going to be able to objectively solve the hard problems. Is abortion moral or immoral? How about alcohol consumption? Capitol punishment? Eating meat? Eating plants? And so on..
I don't know. First get an idea of how things work overall, before even considering details like individuals and specific situations.
It is of no use at this stage.
Ignore the trees for now and lets examine and discuss the forest.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 26th August 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 02:35 AM   #553
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Belz... and Lithrael, everyone.

My reasoning, where do I go wrong, trying to be subjective.

Morals and ethics are about what is good and bad.
As such it's domain of applicability would be all that are able to experience good and bad.
Do all that are able to experience good and bad have any universal values concerning good and bad?
Yes, they all want well-being.
What is well-being?
Science can tell not only what it is, but why it is and what all experience it.
What's good or bad depends on what YOU feel like, and what you value, hence Lithrael's post. It makes it impossible to determine a set of "goods" or "bads" that are universal enough to even be considered objective.

Quote:
Our morals and ethics are based on feelings that have evolved in a social context because it was successful in preserving genes.
Yes but they vary from species to species, and since you brought up other species, you have to contend with the problems with your argument.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 03:48 AM   #554
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What's good or bad depends on what YOU feel like, and what you value, hence Lithrael's post.
Then please feel free to point out specifically where I do so when I say something like:
Morals and ethics apply to all able to experience good and bad.
All able to experience good and bad have a universal aim: Well-being.
To put it bluntly, it's a fact.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It makes it impossible to determine a set of "goods" or "bads" that are universal enough to even be considered objective.
It does not.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes but they vary from species to species, and since you brought up other species, you have to contend with the problems with your argument.
Forest, trees, again.

If it varies from species to species it is obviously not a universal principle. If you want to discern a universal principle you have to look at shared traits, not differences.
You determine the relatedness and of species by looking at shared genetics not differences. The differences and details are irrelevant in this context.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 04:53 AM   #555
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Morals and ethics apply to all able to experience good and bad.
All able to experience good and bad have a universal aim: Well-being.
Which differs across species and individuals.

Quote:
To put it bluntly, it's a fact.
It's a definition. But then what? Pointing out that individuals try to have better experiences than bad doesn't tell you how you should treat others.

Quote:
It does not.
It absolutely does, as I've demonstrated. You yourself are struggling to find a coherent set of definitions, let along establish any moral imperative, to say nothing about establishing its objective nature.

Quote:
If it varies from species to species it is obviously not a universal principle.
Yes, that's what I've been saying. You're looking in the wrong place for your objective morality. Your attempt at doing so being laid upon a foundation of behaviour by intelligent species means that you fail if you fail to find universality.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 06:22 AM   #556
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,825
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Which differs across species and individuals.
Only specific details, not the overall principles.

It's like the notochord that evolved into the spine and the vertebral column and the skeleton. Fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals are all very different with very different skeletons but all are only variations of the same basic structure with overall still the same basic function of support and locomotion. If you continue focusing on the details you miss the similarities.

Please try to focus.
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Pointing out that individuals try to have better experiences than bad doesn't tell you how you should treat others.
It might if you start simple and consider the path evolution took to end up with a species advanced and complicated enough to have morals.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It absolutely does, as I've demonstrated. You yourself are struggling to find a coherent set of definitions, let along establish any moral imperative, to say nothing about establishing its objective nature.
Please don't be, as they say here, disingenuous.

The single definition I struggled with was not part of my argument at all, but something that happened in an irrelevant sideline of yours.
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes, that's what I've been saying. You're looking in the wrong place for your objective morality. Your attempt at doing so being laid upon a foundation of behaviour by intelligent species means that you fail if you fail to find universality.
Morality evolved!
Prove that wrong and you might have a point.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 06:33 AM   #557
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Well-being is the state of a nervous-system when engaging in behaviors that lead to the successful spread of it's genes.

It's simple, concrete, objective and universally applicable.
Do you agree now?
With that definition? Definitely not. Spreading our genes may be the ultimate aim behind the evolution of morality, but I don't see how that makes spreading our genes the ultimate moral good.

Your definition would make a perpetual orgasm be the height of wellness.

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
It is not morality for an individual, why do you say that? Morality is 100% a social thing.
Why does everyone keep focusing on individuals and specifics when we are discussing a basic framework?
I phrased that poorly, but I don't see how you can address morality outside of the context of individuals.

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Ignore the trees for now and lets examine and discuss the forest.
I don't know what you mean by that, but go ahead.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 07:28 AM   #558
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,457
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
If you continue focusing on the details you miss the similarities.
The only details I'm focusing on is the fundamental ones.

Quote:
It might if you start simple and consider the path evolution took to end up with a species advanced and complicated enough to have morals.
Sorry, that's meaningless. How do you get from the self-serving quest for well-being, assuming we allow it, to the golden rule?

Quote:
Please don't be, as they say here, disingenuous.
I never am.

Quote:
The single definition I struggled with was not part of my argument at all, but something that happened in an irrelevant sideline of yours.
"Well-being" is an irrelevant sideline? I'm pretty sure you brought it up.

Quote:
Morality evolved!
Prove that wrong and you might have a point.
Why would I need to? Not only have you no case yet, and nothing to debunk, but the very fact that morality evolved is a damning piece of evidence against your claim.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 10:04 AM   #559
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
MMMmmmmm, well-beinnggg....
How about:

Well-being is the state of a nervous-system when engaging in behaviors that lead to the successful spread of it's genes.

It's simple, concrete, objective and universally applicable.

(...)

First get an idea of how things work overall, before even considering details like individuals and specific situations.
It is of no use at this stage.
Ignore the trees for now and lets examine and discuss the forest.
Unnnnfortunately right off the bat this definition has a problem if you want to use it as a basis for outlining morality. There are plenty of things that can happen to people that will absolutely spread their genes but that are deeply detrimental to the individual; most people would agree that is not well-being. So let’s try adding a word:

Well-being is the state of a nervous-system when voluntarily engaging in behaviors that lead to the successful spread of it's genes.

This one still leaves you with a bit of a mess, because now you have posited that a rapist who’s enjoying themselves, in any culture where a victim is likely to raise any offspring, is achieving well-being.

It seems that well-being must either be far more carefully defined or that the means used to achieve it must have some caveats in it before its pursuit can be used as a basis for what you call moral.

ETA: Discussing only the places where this definition leads to results we’d be happy with, doesn’t seem to solve any problems with pinning down a useful moral framework. But if that’s where you’d like to start, you can do a little legwork and let us know where the idea could go from there. It could still be a good starting place if there’s a lot more on the positive end of the see-saw than the negative end, or if you figure out a compelling reason to move the fulcrum.

Last edited by Lithrael; 26th August 2019 at 10:11 AM.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 11:06 AM   #560
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,552
I think the ultimate problem of this line of thinking is that all behaviors we display are there because having some amount of them in the mix is beneficial to propagating genes. They’re most clearly ‘bad’ when a behavior or drive that would be useful in one context or to some degree, gets expressed in a different context or to an inappropriate degree.

Sexually attracted to people who are youthful: great for propagating genes!
Sexually attracted to people who are too youthful: bad for genes and bad behavior!
Not giving up too easily when pursuing a mate: great for propagating genes!
Not giving up at all: great for propagating genes but ****** behavior!
Being extremely altruistic towards your own family group: great for propagating genes!
Being extremely altruistic towards people who have nothing to do with your group: bad for your genes but laudable behavior!
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.