ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jamal Khashoggi , Lindsey Graham , US-Saudi Arabia relations

Old 4th December 2018, 10:06 PM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lindsey Graham on why your party affiliation matters

In his statement to CNN, Lindsey Graham said something truly revealing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yROrhwPTY
(around 0:40)

Talking about Pompeo and Mattis refusing to admit that there is overwhelming evidence putting MBS in charge of the Murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Graham said that if a Democrat was doing this, he'd accuse them of being in the pockets of the Saudi, but since Pompeo and Mattis are Republicans, they are just being "Good Soldiers".

What a piece of work.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:28 PM   #2
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Talking about Pompeo and Mattis refusing to admit that there is overwhelming evidence putting MBS in charge of the Murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Graham said that if a Democrat was doing this, he'd accuse them of being in the pockets of the Saudi, but since Pompeo and Mattis are Republicans, they are just being "Good Soldiers".

What a piece of work.
I interpreted what Graham said differently. I took it as a warning shot across the bow. If you think I'm going to let this slide because we're all Republicans, you've got another thing coming. I could be wrong.

Last edited by varwoche; 4th December 2018 at 10:31 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I would be surprised to learn Mattis is registered as a member of either party.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I would be surprised to learn Mattis is registered as a member of either party.
.. in which case I would have to change my post to "it's only corruption if Democrats do it".
Doesn't change the openly acknowledged Double Standards on display here.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think when you listen to the whole quote in context, varwoche is spot on.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:03 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think when you listen to the whole quote in context, varwoche is spot on.
I listened.
But it is just so wrong to even mention party affiliation in this context, and admitting that what he would harshly criticize in a Democractic government is only reason for concern if the administration is run by his party.
Democract or Republican shouldn't enter into this at all, and Graham is obviously using partisanship to provide cover for his criticism.
No one should do this: it just reinforces the impression that the Trump administration is above the law.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Stacyhs
Philosopher

My interpretation of Graham's statement is that he was being sarcastic regarding Mattis and Pompeo toeing the line for Trump by being "good soldiers". He was pointing out the hypocrisy of partisanship on this particular subject and not excluding himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 02:14 AM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My interpretation of Graham's statement is that he was being sarcastic regarding Mattis and Pompeo toeing the line for Trump by being "good soldiers". He was pointing out the hypocrisy of partisanship on this particular subject and not excluding himself.
This is how I interpreted it. He basically is saying that the only way that you could not see the truth of the matter is is you were in the Saudi's pockets if sticking to the party line of the administration coming from the White House.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 06:18 AM   #9
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

What a piece of work.
Lindsey Graham is just doing what he constantly does.

Graham is always trying to be on both sides of the same issue. By doing so, he is then able to jump on to the winning team while appearing to have been supportive of the winning team and unsupportive of the loosing team the entire time.

Anyway, as based on Graham history, I expect that what will happen for the present is that Graham will pretend to be so terribly incensed about the Khashoggi murder and to be somewhat incensed about Trump for not doing more about the Khashoggi murder.

And then, after things cool down, Graham will promptly go back to kissing Trump's huge ass in order to get some Trump love.

Afterwards, the cycle will repeat when some other divisive issue arises.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 06:44 AM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's like Flake. He talks a good game but we will see about action.
Old 5th December 2018, 06:51 AM   #11
Thermal
Philosopher

Yeah. Graham, in full context, is saying he disagrees with their findings but gets that they are partisan hacks. This one is not #Living While Republican.
Old 5th December 2018, 07:18 AM   #12
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Graham is always trying to be on both sides of the same issue.
Bingo.
The Shrike is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's trying to be pro Trumpish to fight off a primary challenge and anti Trump enough to not drown in another blue wave in 2020.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics