ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2018, 11:47 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

NRCC Hack

POLITICO: Exclusive: Emails of top NRCC officials stolen in major 2018 hack.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...8-hack-1043309

I'm on my phone so it's a pain to hyperlink. It looks like to they were hacked during the election and didn't tell anyone. Including other GOP members. There were 4 accounts monitored for months.

I wonder if there will be anything as juicy as the Dem hack during 2016. I'd be entertained to see what skeletons are in those closets. Though I'd never condone anyone hacking private data.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:13 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If it's the Russians...a strong possibility...I admit I would consider it poetic justice.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:14 PM   #3
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
POLITICO: Exclusive: Emails of top NRCC officials stolen in major 2018 hack.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...8-hack-1043309

I'm on my phone so it's a pain to hyperlink. It looks like to they were hacked during the election and didn't tell anyone. Including other GOP members. There were 4 accounts monitored for months.

I wonder if there will be anything as juicy as the Dem hack during 2016. I'd be entertained to see what skeletons are in those closets. Though I'd never condone anyone hacking private data.
The hacker sat on it. Sounds Russian.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:15 PM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This should not be tolerated, even backhandedly, just to "Hardy har serves you right" the Republicans.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:20 PM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If it's the Russians...a strong possibility...I admit I would consider it poetic justice.
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
The hacker sat on it. Sounds Russian.
So the question then becomes will we ever see them? Will they be used as leverage against Trump? How damaging can that information be?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:21 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This should not be tolerated, even backhandedly, just to "Hardy har serves you right" the Republicans.
OH, I agree, whoever did it needs to fell the full force of the law, but that does not mean I can't get schanfrueude of out of it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:21 PM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

It would have to come from the Democrats to be a "Hardy har serves you right". The Democrats have never, as far as I know, encouraged any hacking of the Republicans. They've never condoned any hacking at all. I just don't get your aggression here.

I hope whoever has done it gets busted, convicted and correctly punished. Which it appears Mueller has been trying to do.

ETA: Interesting fact though, the Republican president DID, actually, encourage the hacking and cheered the results of the hacking of a Democrat.

Last edited by plague311; 4th December 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:23 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So the question then becomes will we ever see them? Will they be used as leverage against Trump? How damaging can that information be?
I think , if Vlad boys are behind it, it's more to get leverage over the GOP leaders,who have really limited what Trumpy can do to when it comes to Russian policy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:26 PM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This whole idea of being "Leverage" strikes me as odd.

Even if the Republicans are so rotten to the core they'd sell there own country out to keep the videos of them getting spanked by a midget transsexual hooker with an empty Elmer's Glue bottle while bent over the back of a miniature pony from getting published on Reddit or whatever, you figure at least a few of them would figure that had nothing to lose.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:30 PM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

Even if the Republicans are so rotten to the core they'd sell there own country out to keep the videos of them getting spanked by a midget transsexual hooker with an empty Elmer's Glue bottle while bent over the back of a miniature pony from getting published on Reddit or whatever, you figure at least a few of them would figure that had nothing to lose.
I honestly wouldn't care if they did any of that as absolutely none of it is illegal, unless the prostitution is in that location. None of that would get to me.

I'm more interested in the illegal activities that the party condones behind closed doors, as it seems to have extremely lenient outlooks to breaking the law in public.

It's not leverage, I want to know the truth about the people we have in power. I don't condone the hack, but I won't shut my eyes to the information released.

Old 4th December 2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Is THAT what came to your mind first when thinking about what damaging info there is on Republicans???
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:48 PM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

I think it's safe to say that Russians and other hackers are hoovering up as much email and other data as possible. Isn't it widely acknowledged that they hacked both the RNC and DNC for the 2016 election, but only released DNC emails to damage Hillary?
Old 4th December 2018, 02:44 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think it's safe to say that Russians and other hackers are hoovering up as much email and other data as possible. Isn't it widely acknowledged that they hacked both the RNC and DNC for the 2016 election, but only released DNC emails to damage Hillary?
Getting information through illegal means as a way of getting leverage or out and out blackmail power over people has been SOP for Russian Intelligence for a long ,long,time,dating back to the Tsars.
Per World War One, the Tsarist Secret police actually blackmailed Alfred Redl, a high ranking officer in the Austrian Army Intelligence, after they uncovered he was having a gay love affair. Redl gave valuable intelligence to the Russians before he commited sucide when his treason was uncovered.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2018, 02:46 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm surprised the Republicans have any data they didn't already freely give to the Russians already!
Old 4th December 2018, 02:56 PM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm surprised the Republicans have any data they didn't already freely give to the Russians already!
You obviously haven't read the article. Trump said that the Republicans have much better security than the Dems. So the only way this could have happened is through an inside jobby job /sarc /consp

Old 4th December 2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trust but verify!
Old 4th December 2018, 03:14 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Actually Russia and Putin is one of the very few areas where Trump has gotten real resistence from the Republicans in Congress.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2018, 03:32 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Try password "MAGA", tovarich!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 03:36 PM   #19
smartcooky
Philosopher

Curse you Joe, how am I now supposed to get that image out of my head?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 07:14 PM   #20
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Hardy har har, serves you right Republicans.
Quote:
The National Republican Congressional Committee dismissed as a “political stunt” a letter from its counterpart, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, asking for the two parties to team up on combating hacking ahead of the 2018 election.
Washington Post - a year and half ago
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 04:48 AM   #21
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Even the Republicans appear to believe this was an operation directed from outside the U.S. WikiLeaks involved? From the article linked:
Quote:
Party officials would not say when the hack began or who was behind it, although they privately believe it was a foreign agent because of the nature of the attack.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 05:13 AM   #22
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
OH, I agree, whoever did it needs to fell the full force of the law, but that does not mean I can't get schanfrueude of out of it.
Quite. Condoning and enjoying are very different things.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 09:15 AM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

I will give them this, they did their due diligence when it came to network security. According to the information available they had a full time cybersecurity expert and multiple 3rd party vendors providing the security. Those companies are going to need a little PR of their own, unless this is human error. I haven't read the news today. I heard some new stuff came out.

Old 5th December 2018, 10:02 AM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

I will give them this, they did their due diligence when it came to network security. According to the information available they had a full time cybersecurity expert and multiple 3rd party vendors providing the security. Those companies are going to need a little PR of their own, unless this is human error. I haven't read the news today. I heard some new stuff came out.
I would put good odds on the hack being a result of operator error. Something unsophisticated like a phishing attack.

I've worked at several different big companies that had very strong interests in protecting IP from hackers. Lots of IT work went on behind the scenes to keep our data safe. But when it comes to social attacks, like phishing, it was basically a campaign of "stop clicking on fake links, you idiot" mass emails from IT every few weeks. That's really all our IT would be allowed to do, as other methods would cause too much confusion and inconvenience from the ordinary user.

One company had a program I thought was clever. They sent their own fake phishing attacks to the user. If you clicked the link, a webpage would come up that shamed the user and encouraged them to review our IT policy. People were not pleased.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th December 2018 at 10:06 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 10:21 AM   #25
plague311
Great minds think...

I would put good odds on the hack being a result of operator error. Something unsophisticated like a phishing attack.
Yup, especially when the article says that they acquired email accounts. If they only require 3-4, then it's usually phishing. If they get all of them, then it's a legit "hack". That word means almost nothing anymore though.

I've worked at several different big companies that had very strong interests in protecting IP from hackers. Lots of IT work went on behind the scenes to keep our data safe. But when it comes to social attacks, like phishing, it was basically a campaign of "stop clicking on fake links, you idiot" mass emails from IT every few weeks. That's really all our IT would be allowed to do, as other methods would cause too much confusion and inconvenience from the ordinary user.
That's a lot of the issue. There's a sliding scale between convenience and security. At our tech office, we have 2FA on almost every piece of cloud based software or programs we use that has client information; however, I can't think of a single client that uses 2FA for anything.

One company had a program I thought was clever. They sent their own fake phishing attacks to the user. If you clicked the link, a webpage would come up that shamed the user and encouraged them to review our IT policy. People were not pleased.
We do that for a few of our clients (I do end to end tech support for about 60ish different businesses). It's actually really effective because no one wants to be "that person" that clicks the link or downloads an attachment. It teaches them to be skeptical of every email.

Old 5th December 2018, 12:41 PM   #26
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
People were not pleased.
Tell them they can write "I was well pleased" on their cardboard sign when they're begging at the interstate off-ramp after being fired for compromising IP

Last edited by Hellbound; 5th December 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 01:35 PM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Tell them they can right "I was well pleased" on their cardboard sign when they're begging at the interstate off-ramp after being fired for compromising IP
I snorted. Thank you.

Old 5th December 2018, 02:02 PM   #28
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I snorted. Thank you.
Doh! And I just realized I spelled the wrong right.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 02:38 PM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Doh! And I just realized I spelled the wrong right.
It gave it a very genuine feel.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics