ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 elections

Old 6th December 2018, 02:02 PM   #1601
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Which has always been one of my arguments against strict voter ID requirements. It's a solution looking for a problem. If people want to fraudulently effect the election results, they'll do it at some other level where there will be more bang for the buck. And those ways can't be prevented by voter ID.
Exactly. It needs to be made clear that this was election fraud, not voter fraud. Individual voters were not voting illegally which is what Trump and many of his followers (falsely) claim.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 02:08 PM   #1602
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I get the impression that they have conflated being legal with being democratic.
I don't think the rationalization even goes that far. It probably begins and ends at "The Democrats are bad, ergo anything done to keep the Democrats out of power is good."

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 02:22 PM   #1603
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
With more people moving to cities and leaving the rural areas, the population shift caused this odd situation. The rural districs go red with only 55% votes whereas the city or suburban districts go blue but with ”too many” votes. The areas will need to be redesigned as the rural areas go empty.
Republicans will never willingly agree to a system that reflects reality, it would mean either permanently losing power or having to adapt their policies to reflect social/demographic changes.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:26 PM   #1604
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly. It needs to be made clear that this was election fraud, not voter fraud. Individual voters were not voting illegally which is what Trump and many of his followers (falsely) claim.
Amen to all this. I've been frustrated with some mainstream reportage failing to clarify the difference between the two.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:09 PM   #1605
Molinaro
Illuminator

The last Congressional seat to be decided is now over. The GOP rep has conceded and this brings the final total of seats gained by the Democrats to 40.

The predicted blue wave came in right on target.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:29 PM   #1606
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

It is quite odd how long that took.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:40 PM   #1607
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
The last Congressional seat to be decided is now over. The GOP rep has conceded and this brings the final total of seats gained by the Democrats to 40.

Isn't there still the issue of Congressional District in NC where there seems strong evidence of election fraud? Pelosi today suggested they wouldn't seat the Republican Congressmen who theoretically won.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:23 PM   #1608
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, and pretty much across the board, given all the close races that would normally be walkovers.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:29 AM   #1609
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
THis is actually by far the more likely way to illegally mess with an election - hack the machines, toss out ballots, etc. So far most people who get caught trying to vote twice are Republican idiots who try to show how easy it is to vote multiple times.

Or figured it was justified because they were voting for a Republican.

That means it's not illegal.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #1610
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

In Maine, a Federal court rejected the lawsuit by Republican incumbent congressman Poliquin who lost the US first congressional election held by a candidate-ranking system.

Quote:
But Judge Lance Walker, a recent Trump administration appointee, rejected Poliquin's requests that the courts declare him the winner or order a new election for the 2nd Congressional District.

Poliquin's lawyer had argued the candidate-ranking system requires voters to "guess" which candidates would survive until the second, runoff-style round of tabulations.

https://www.abc4.com/news/politics/j...ion/1657405657

Last edited by Firestone; Yesterday at 08:38 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #1611
Belz...
Fiend God

The last Congressional seat to be decided is now over.
A full month? Wow, US elections really suck.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #1612
Firestone

Well, NC-09 is not yet over ...
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #1613
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Poliquin's lawyer had argued the candidate-ranking system requires voters to "guess" which candidates would survive until the second, runoff-style round of tabulations.
.... what sort of stupid argument is that?
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #1614
Firestone

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
.... what sort of stupid argument is that?
I'm somewhat struggling to identify the type of fallacy in his argument.

Maybe Straw Man?
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #1615
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
Yes and not having to vote "strategically" is the main selling point of instant run-off style elections.

Poliquins lawyer is essentially blustering and huffing the people were voting for candidates and not against them.

THAT'S THE ******* POINT.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #1616
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I'm somewhat struggling to identify the type of fallacy in his argument.

Maybe Straw Man?
I just call it complete ********.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #1617
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In this topsy-turvy Trump reality, Bob Corker is one of the rare Republicans who restores my faith in humanity, in small part.

When Corker was first elected to the senate in 2006, his campaign against Harold Ford included some of the ugliest race baiting I've ever seen. In particular, the blond who makes two fleeting appearances in this ad:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Farewell, thank you, and **** you Bob.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics