ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 4th December 2018, 07:13 AM   #81
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am grateful that the numerous pieces of Trump stupidity, Trump lies and Trump corruption only reflect poorly on Trump himself instead of the nation as a whole.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 07:24 AM   #82
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Don't be surprised if this is how it actually plays out: You know, like North Korea is "no longer a nuclear threat".
Are you sure that's the example you meant to use?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 07:26 AM   #83
ahhell
Graduate Poster

He's not as bad as I thought he would be.
He's actually pretty ineffective at getting things done.
He may make some progressives/liberals appreciate federalism and limited government more, especially limited executive authority.

Last edited by ahhell; 4th December 2018 at 07:30 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 07:42 AM   #84
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
He's not as bad as I thought he would be.
He's actually pretty ineffective at getting things done.
He may make some progressives/liberals appreciate federalism and limited government more, especially limited executive authority.
Yes,
Also, I trusted the system to correct for Trump if he was truly terrible, which it is turning out, he isn't. If he was truly doing terrible things, the Dems would have taken the Senate and bolstered their majority in the house.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:09 AM   #85
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Yes,
Also, I trusted the system to correct for Trump if he was truly terrible, which it is turning out, he isn't. If he was truly doing terrible things, the Dems would have taken the Senate and bolstered their majority in the house.
The President being terrible doesn't make his supporters smarter. They continue to find their way to the polls and remember that they are supposed to pull the lever for the one with the 'R'.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:18 AM   #86
dann
Philosopher

I'm grateful that Trump was able to get Xi to crack down on Fentanyl dealers in China.

Too many people are dying.

I'm sure that Trump is grateful for having found a foreign country to blame for a fraction of the 72,000 drug overdose deaths in the USA in 2017.
I'm not.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 4th December 2018 at 08:19 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:23 AM   #87
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The President being terrible doesn't make his supporters smarter. They continue to find their way to the polls and remember that they are supposed to pull the lever for the one with the 'R'.
Many of the people who voted for Trump, also voted for Obama.

Including myself, and the union voters in Michigan, who were unhappy with the trade deals.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:26 AM   #88
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yes,
Ah yes, because the US public -- a demographic that skews dimwitted -- is now the wellspring of wisdom.

They say Putin is quite popular in Russia.

Trump rocks. That's why a lot of people voted for him and his minions. Hence Trump rocks. Hmm I think there's a fallacy...

It's uncommon to see circular logic where the circle is so perfectly drawn, there's no geometric imperfections to smooth away.

Last edited by varwoche; 4th December 2018 at 08:31 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:31 AM   #89
gregthehammer
Muse

I am grateful that Trump is mortal.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:33 AM   #90
Drewbot
Philosopher

So I wouldn't be dimwitted if I had voted for Hillary?

Next time I will vote your way, so I won't be considered dimwitted.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:35 AM   #91
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think there's probably a middle ground in there somewhere.

One can disagree with Trump on massive levels to the point of honestly considering his Presidency dangerous (as I do) while still understanding the nerve he hit with some parts of the American populace.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:37 AM   #92
Thermal
Philosopher

Many of the people who voted for Trump, also voted for Obama.

Including myself, and the union voters in Michigan, who were unhappy with the trade deals.
Many more did not. Trump is spectacularly unsuited to do...anything, IMO and the opinions of many others. It's not a partisan thing. It is that the individual's past is not indicative of someone fit to hold the office.

The issue with the President is not R v D. It's that we don't want drooling idiots expect dignity and prudence from our elected officials.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:41 AM   #93
The_Animus
Master Poster

I'm grateful that Trump has fully exposed the GOP for the lying, corrupt, cancer that they've become. Hopefully while there are still enough good people and solid institutions to defeat it.

He is a lelouch of the rebellion minus the intent.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:45 AM   #94
Drewbot
Philosopher

It's that we don't want drooling idiots expect dignity and prudence from our elected officials.
The day he announced his candidacy, I knew his dignity and prudence only qualified him for Kennedy-type positions in government.

Unless you mean "the appearance of dignity and prudence".
Old 4th December 2018, 08:53 AM   #95
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think there's probably a middle ground in there somewhere.

One can disagree with Trump on massive levels to the point of honestly considering his Presidency dangerous (as I do) while still understanding the nerve he hit with some parts of the American populace.
Wait what? That's crazy talk.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:58 AM   #96
Thermal
Philosopher

The day he announced his candidacy, I knew his dignity and prudence only qualified him for Kennedy-type positions in government.

Unless you mean "the appearance of dignity and prudence".
I mean any passing resemblance to dignity and prudence. I say without hyperbole that he lacks the class needed to clean the White House toilets. This is the champion of Birtherism we are talking about, who brags about deadbeating on his debts.
Old 4th December 2018, 09:17 AM   #97
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

So I wouldn't be dimwitted if I had voted for Hillary?

Next time I will vote your way, so I won't be considered dimwitted.
I pointed out legitimate (and glaring) flaws in your logic. It would behoove you to digest the criticism, rather than fast forward to this sort of infantility.

Sometimes criticism is unpleasant, like when it comes from a wise ass. Whatever, knowledge is more important than passing ruffled feelings.
Old 4th December 2018, 09:51 AM   #98
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

...has a much bigger ass than I do.
Old 5th December 2018, 08:21 AM   #99
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Ah yes, because the US public -- a demographic that skews dimwitted -- is now the wellspring of wisdom.
@Drewbot
Let's not forget we're talking Trump voters. The verb "skew" is an understatement. You're asking critical thinkers to assign weight to the opinions of a minority segment of the population that is so disconnected from reality as to be a not-so-funny joke. Irrational, frightened, fact-free, educationally disadvantaged, bigoted, evangelical cultists, in significant part.

If you've been asleep for an extremely long period of time, ala Rip Van Winkle, I'll dredge up some opinions polls indicating how many of these people believe in actual angels from heaven, biblical Armageddon, Obama wasn't born in the USA, global warming is a hoax, etc. Better yet, dredge them up yourself.

Introduction to Logic - Argumentum Ad Populum
Old 6th December 2018, 12:36 PM   #100
jeremyp
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am grateful that the numerous pieces of Trump stupidity, Trump lies and Trump corruption only reflect poorly on Trump himself instead of the nation as a whole.
Are you sure about that?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:51 PM   #101
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

I mean any passing resemblance to dignity and prudence. I say without hyperbole that he lacks the class needed to clean the White House toilets. This is the champion of Birtherism we are talking about, who brags about deadbeating on his debts.

Not to mention the physique, attention span and qualifications...
Old 6th December 2018, 01:16 PM   #102
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

With a normal job, he would have ended up as that guy in Hillbilly Elegy who spent his workdays taking endless bathroom bteaks and railed at his boss when he was fired.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:18 PM   #103
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Beat Hillary
Old 6th December 2018, 03:50 PM   #104
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I'm afraid this one isn't true.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:26 PM   #105
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I fear I cannot participate as it is too difficult to provide one that will not get me removed. On the bright side, some of my previous work on the subject is certainly still here for your delight and edification!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:28 PM   #106
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I'm afraid this one isn't true.
True. those who voted for it are equally at fault. No matter how bad anyone thinks Hillary was, any bad of hers was far better than all that is his.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics