ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 24th November 2018, 11:39 AM   #1041
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Excerpts from Trump's Fox interview, annotated.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/polit...iew/index.html
The sad part is, none of this is eye popping anymore. If any other president gave this kind of interview, we'd be shocked and worried. But this is just another example of the "new normal" in Trumplandia.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 09:46 AM   #1042
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The sad part is, none of this is eye popping anymore. If any other president gave this kind of interview, we'd be shocked and worried. But this is just another example of the "new normal" in Trumplandia.
Plenty of us are shocked and worried. Just not surprised.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 09:56 AM   #1043
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Just that we can't be outraged at every least thing the trump throws at us doesn't mean we don't care. I don't get surprised when I hear of someone being raped, but I still loathe the fact that it happens so often.

The US is getting more and more fed up with Trump, too. I imagine that even to his staunchest defenders, it's just getting too hard to handwave or defend all the things he says and does, [eta:] regardless of how much your stance is that "he might be a son of a *****, but he's our son of a *****".
Old 25th November 2018, 10:01 AM   #1044
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a 'diagnosis' from a historian...

Originally Posted by Historian
superficial, hasty, restless, unable to relax, without any deeper level of seriousness, without any desire for hard work or drive to see things through to the end, without any sense of sobriety, for balance and boundaries, or even for reality and real problems, uncontrollable and scarcely capable of learning from experience, desperate for applause and success,— he wanted every day to be his birthday— theatrical, unsure and arrogant, with an immeasurably exaggerated self-confidence and desire to show off, brashly wanted to play the part of the supreme warlord, full of panicky fear
Damn, that cuts to the core...

Old 25th November 2018, 10:17 AM   #1045
dann
Philosopher

Wonderful!

Quote:
Bombastic and impetuous, he sometimes made tactless pronouncements on sensitive topics without consulting his ministers, behavior which culminated in a disastrous ...

Can you imagine what he could have accomplished if he'd been on Twitter?!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 25th November 2018 at 10:19 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 07:21 PM   #1046
Bob001
Philosopher

More rants:
Quote:
In a wide-ranging and sometimes discordant 20-minute interview with The Washington Post, Trump complained at length about Federal Reserve Chair Jerome H. “Jay” Powell, whom he nominated last year. When asked about declines on Wall Street and GM’s announcement that it was laying off 15 percent of its workforce, Trump responded by criticizing higher interest rates and other Fed policies, though he insisted that he is not worried about a recession.

“I’m doing deals, and I’m not being accommodated by the Fed,” Trump said. “They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...?noredirect=on

And:
Quote:
“One of the problems that a lot of people like myself, we have very high levels of intelligence but we’re not necessarily such believers,” Trump said during a freewheeling 20-minute Oval Office interview with The Washington Post in which he was asked why he was skeptical of the dire National Climate Assessment his administration released Friday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 10:32 PM   #1047
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Why not interview the next random vagrant indigent loonie in the street. You get as much sense, if not more, out of them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 10:51 PM   #1048
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

And that line was shortly followed with “You look at our air and our water and it's right now at a record clean.“ Again, he displays a child-like understanding of a complex issue. He doesn’t understand that one can have very pollution-free air but still have increasing amounts of CO2. Alternatively, it is possible that he does understand climate change very well and he is making stupid comments to play to his base, but I think the preponderance of the evidence indicates he is in way over his depth.

I think more and more people understand that the emperor has no clothes, but, as is the case in the story, are afraid to say it publicly. I suspect there is some critical mass and once that level is reached, all but the Kool-Aid drinkers will admit how ill-equipped he is for the job.

Last edited by Ladewig; 27th November 2018 at 10:56 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 11:56 PM   #1049
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And that line was shortly followed with “You look at our air and our water and it's right now at a record clean.“ Again, he displays a child-like understanding of a complex issue. He doesn’t understand that one can have very pollution-free air but still have increasing amounts of CO2. Alternatively, it is possible that he does understand climate change very well and he is making stupid comments to play to his base, but I think the preponderance of the evidence indicates he is in way over his depth.

I think more and more people understand that the emperor has no clothes, but, as is the case in the story, are afraid to say it publicly. I suspect there is some critical mass and once that level is reached, all but the Kool-Aid drinkers will admit how ill-equipped he is for the job.
Has the idiot stopped to think* that maybe this is due to the previous regulations put in place that he and his appointees have gutted?

*rhetorical question.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:56 AM   #1050
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

I don't see how anyone can continue to deny that Trump's willful ignorance and delusions of grandeur are extremely dangerous, not just to the country but to the world. We've beaten the word "diagnosis" to death in this thread, but as the evidence piles up, the "theory" that his bizarre behavior is the result of a dangerous mental illness does not have any serious competition.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:34 PM   #1051
Armitage72
Master Poster

Has the idiot stopped to think* that maybe this is due to the previous regulations put in place that he and his appointees have gutted?

*rhetorical question.

I've repeatedly heard people say "Why do we need the FDA? Our food is safe now."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 03:57 PM   #1052
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I've repeatedly heard people say "Why do we need the FDA? Our food is safe now."
Are they the same ones saying kids don't need to be vaccinated because we haven't had a case of smallpox in years?
Old 28th November 2018, 08:52 PM   #1053
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Do they throw out all the food in their house after eating, too? They obviously won't be needing it anymore, since they're no longer hungry.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:09 PM   #1054
Bob001
Philosopher

A new interview with Dr. Lee:
Quote:
Raw Story: In your opinion, what are the emotions driving Donald Trump’s base?

Bandy X. Lee: The sense of grandiose omnipotence that he displays seems especially appealing to his emotionally-needy followers. No matter what the world says, he fights back against criticism, continues to lie in the face of truth, and above all is still president. What matters is that he is winning, not whether he is honest or law-abiding. This may seem puzzling to the rest of us, but when you are overcome with feelings of powerlessness, this type of cartoonish, exaggerated force is often more important than true ability. This is the more primitive morality, as we call it, of “might makes right,” which in normal development you grow out of by age five.
https://www.salon.com/2018/12/04/tru...-says_partner/
Old 4th December 2018, 10:23 PM   #1055
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Interesting, but I would quibble, Trump says he's winning and people believe that lie as well. If you look closer, he isn't really.

The bubble will soon pop. Mexico didn't fund any wall. Creating a demon (immigrants at the border) then slaying them is not something I define as winning. And Mueller is closing in.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th December 2018 at 10:26 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 01:09 AM   #1056
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I agree with Dr. Lee's assessment. In the eyes of those who live in reality, Trump is not 'winning' the way he was the first year in office. But to his base, who tend to watch FOX News and believe whatever Trump tweets/says, he is winning because he's still in office and the Mueller investigation has not released any "collusion" directly involving Trump. They believe Mueller has said nothing because he hasn't got anything which is what Trump tells them over and over again. His base truly believes in him because he gives them what they need emotionally. Or think they do.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:24 PM   #1057
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Are they the same ones saying kids don't need to be vaccinated because we haven't had a case of smallpox in years?
Assuredly indeed they are!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:26 PM   #1058
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Interesting, but I would quibble, Trump says he's winning and people believe that lie as well. If you look closer, he isn't really.

The bubble will soon pop. Mexico didn't fund any wall. Creating a demon (immigrants at the border) then slaying them is not something I define as winning. And Mueller is closing in.
You misspelled whining in your first sentence...….

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 09:08 AM   #1059
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Lol. She's moved from diagnosing someone from their Twitter feed, to diagnosing hypothetical people she knows nothing about at all.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 09:32 AM   #1060
carlitos
"más divertido"

Only one person she knows voted for Trump. Where the rest of them are, who knows? They are beyond her ken. But sometimes in a theater she can feel them.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 02:53 PM   #1061
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Lol. She's moved from diagnosing someone from their Twitter feed, to diagnosing hypothetical people she knows nothing about at all.

And talking about their emotions. How can she possibly know his emotions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th December 2018, 04:47 PM   #1062
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Just noticed this at Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/oc...d-brain-trump/

Even though now mis-attributed to Ocasio-Cortez at least we have Donald's reassurance that we should not be concerned about his mental status.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 05:09 PM   #1063
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

Even though now mis-attributed to Ocasio-Cortez at least we have Donald's reassurance that we should not be concerned about his mental status.
Hysterical that those trying to discredit Ocasio-Cortez used one of their Dear Leader's own quotes. It came back to bite them in the ass.
Old 7th December 2018, 05:09 PM   #1064
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

An assessment I question the same way I question the Yale group, and for much the same reason.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 08:34 AM   #1065
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hysterical that those trying to discredit Ocasio-Cortez used one of their Dear Leader's own quotes. It came back to bite them in the ass.
It's not biting them in the ass at all. Republicans will continue to believe the lie; they're good at that.
Old 9th December 2018, 09:30 AM   #1066
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
An assessment I question the same way I question the Yale group, and for much the same reason.

What do you question?!
Do you question that Ocasio-Cortez didn't actually say what the meme claims that she said?
Or do you question that your dear leader was actually the one who said it? (You know, the Moron in Chief who thinks that he's a "very stable genius" who has "one of the hightest" IQs ...)
And why exactly do you question it? Have you been sharing the alleged Ocasio-Cortez meme online?

The worst thing about Trump's mental illness is that it seems to be contagious.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 10:06 AM   #1067
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What do you question?!

Do you question that Ocasio-Cortez didn't actually say what the meme claims that she said?

Or do you question that your dear leader was actually the one who said it? (You know, the Moron in Chief who thinks that he's a "very stable genius" who has "one of the hightest" IQs ...)

And why exactly do you question it? Have you been sharing the alleged Ocasio-Cortez meme online?

The worst thing about Trump's mental illness is that it seems to be contagious.

Did you accidentally misread or are you purposefully twisting to suit your argument?

Old 9th December 2018, 10:18 AM   #1068
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Here's a 'diagnosis' from a historian...

Damn, that cuts to the core...

certainly a perfect description of the orange lump trumpf !!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 9th December 2018, 10:22 AM   #1069
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's not biting them in the ass at all. Republicans will continue to believe the lie; they're good at that.
And devouring dead animal carcasses raw. Particularly skunks.

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 9th December 2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: make even truthier
Old 9th December 2018, 01:31 PM   #1070
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What do you question?!
Trump's assessment that he has a very good brain. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old 9th December 2018, 01:32 PM   #1071
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Did you accidentally misread or are you purposefully twisting to suit your argument?

Be nice. My conversational references are often too oblique, and I don't think English is dann's first language. It's probably not fair to blame him for not always being able to follow the gist of my posts.
Old 9th December 2018, 01:37 PM   #1072
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Not all Republicans have their blinders on so securely as others.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics