ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 28th November 2018, 06:32 PM   #481
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Probably comes down to the questions of 'how much of the Middle East', 'what is the Middle East', and 'what do you mean by stable'?
It probably should, but it obviously didn't.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 06:44 PM   #482
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It probably should, but it obviously didn't.
Probably a derail and I might just start a thread in History, but I'm curious; is there a time you would consider the Middle East to have been 'stable'?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 06:53 PM   #483
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Probably a derail and I might just start a thread in History, but I'm curious; is there a time you would consider the Middle East to have been 'stable'?
I might be willing to consider the Sassanid period, if someone defined their terms and made a case.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 06:55 PM   #484
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Since when has the Middle East EVER been stable?
It has been relatively stable many times, but in this context I would cite Iraq under Saddam.

ETA: I think the U.S., and yes, Obama, was naive about the Arab Spring.

ETA2: And while I think Israel has a right to exist, it's been a handy boogeyman for riling up Arabs & others. This has served Israel's purposes at times, too. A territorial dispute became a proxy for a much larger, more intractable conflict.

ETA3: A separate thread would be good. I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

Last edited by Minoosh; 28th November 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:31 PM   #485
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I bet not.
For the Ottoman Caliphs, any place that paid sufficient taxes was by definition at peace.
Old 29th November 2018, 04:40 AM   #486
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm no expert but the British wanted them to stay out of Palestine and many were interred in refugee camps after being rescued from labor/death camps (or after camp guards just left). It's the plot of the book "Exodus," which is pretty much propaganda. I don't say that in a bad way, but the author was speaking as an advocate for Zionism or for a Jewish state. The Australian mainland was considered as well as the Australian island of Tasmania, which had been largely cleared of pesky aboriginals.
The point is that the people who are rejecting comparisons to the holocaust are taking positions that would have applied to when there were still options to it happening and would have encouraged it.
Quote:
For a more contemporary example of rejecting refugees, people who escape North Korea aren't really welcomed with open arms anywhere, that I know of.
South Korea I think but it is hard to get there from china which hates them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 11:44 AM   #487
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I might be willing to consider the Sassanid period, if someone defined their terms and made a case.
Thanks.

I was almost asleep last night when I realized that I had said 'Sasanid' when I was thinking of the Achaemenid Empire. It made me feel so stupid that I had to share with the class my mistake.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 11:52 AM   #488
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Thanks.

I was almost asleep last night when I realized that I had said 'Sasanid' when I was thinking of the Achaemenid Empire. It made me feel so stupid that I had to share with the class my mistake.
Instead of feeling stupid I would feel pretty smart if I had any idea of the empire you are talking about.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #489
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Instead of feeling stupid I would feel pretty smart if I had any idea of the empire you are talking about.
Roughly speaking, I cited the second Persian Empire, when I was thinking of the first Persian Empire. I may have also cited the timescale of the Sasanid. In my defense, I had been researching Sasanid swords recently.

If I didn't know the difference, I would not have felt as stupid. That I full well know the difference and said the other one, that made me feel stupid.
Old 29th November 2018, 01:52 PM   #490
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Which would match with the abuses claimed in this article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...n-13418679.php
Old 29th November 2018, 03:59 PM   #491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Roughly speaking, I cited the second Persian Empire, when I was thinking of the first Persian Empire. I may have also cited the timescale of the Sasanid. In my defense, I had been researching Sasanid swords recently.

If I didn't know the difference, I would not have felt as stupid. That I full well know the difference and said the other one, that made me feel stupid.
I should have stated Snce then has the Middle East been stable since 1918?".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 11:54 PM   #492
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 07:47 AM   #493
carlitos
"más divertido"

Baylor is in good company. Look at all of the respectable internet sites that show the image above.

ETA - Stormfront was on the list after I clicked "next," but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg racistimageplaces.JPG (19.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by carlitos; 30th November 2018 at 07:50 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 08:07 AM   #494
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Baylor is in good company. Look at all of the respectable internet sites that show the image above.

ETA - Stormfront was on the list after I clicked "next," but you get the idea.
Interesting how it implies both that oppression is just how White Countries are, while also implying that non-white people seek out oppression. Or is it implying they aren't oppressive, because look who wants in - as if no one sought out the opportunities to succeed in another country despite knowing that there would be a new country they would have to fit into. In either case, it is a blatant attempt to normalize oppression. Then again, consider the source.

Last edited by LSSBB; 30th November 2018 at 10:04 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 08:39 AM   #495
carlitos
"más divertido"

The hook nose on the guide sign is a also a nice touch, helping to remind us that it is The Jew who is orchestrating the emigration. Just in case someone is looking for a community center to shoot up.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:27 AM   #496
Thermal
Philosopher

The hook nose on the guide sign is a also a nice touch, helping to remind us that it is The Jew who is orchestrating the emigration. Just in case someone is looking for a community center to shoot up.
Extra points for the portrayal of the faces of the immigrants. Rarely do you see such blatant racism touted so openly.
Old 30th November 2018, 12:44 PM   #497
Baylor
Philosopher

The point was to show that people do not bypass several countries to enter a country where they and their children are abused. Calling someone racist or anti-semitic does not debunk that argument.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:05 PM   #498
baron
Philosopher

The hook nose on the guide sign is a also a nice touch, helping to remind us that it is The Jew who is orchestrating the emigration.
I thought it was a paper clip.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:11 PM   #499
Baylor
Philosopher

Guess not. I don't believe in the CT that jews are behind mass immigration, I couldn't find a more tasteful image to get the point across.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:16 PM   #500
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The point was to show that people do not bypass several countries to enter a country where they and their children are abused. Calling someone racist or anti-semitic does not debunk that argument.
That is binary thinking. People migrate for many reasons, and with a variety of levels of understanding what conditions they may encounter.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #501
carlitos
"más divertido"

Surely someone posting Nazi cartoons in lieu of an argument wouldn't be engaging in binary thinking.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:31 PM   #502
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if there was any doubt about somebody's bigotry,it has been removed.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th November 2018 at 01:32 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:33 PM   #503
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Surely someone posting Nazi cartoons in lieu of an argument wouldn't be engaging in binary thinking.
What is really intriguing is what does it take to admit they are wrong?

Aside from what the guy in American History X went through...
Old 30th November 2018, 05:38 PM   #504
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

You know, I'm no Trump fan either. But to seriously believe that Trump is gonna have actual concentration camps like Hitler did, is a whole new level of delusional.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 06:59 PM   #505
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
You know, I'm no Trump fan either. But to seriously believe that Trump is gonna have actual concentration camps like Hitler did, is a whole new level of delusional.

I haven't followed all of the conversation. Has anyone implied he'll institute concentration camps like Hitler? I thought the claim was that he would institute concentration camps like Roosevelt.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 07:16 PM   #506
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I haven't followed all of the conversation. Has anyone implied he'll institute concentration camps like Hitler? I thought the claim was that he would institute concentration camps like Roosevelt.
Or the British ones.
Old 30th November 2018, 07:54 PM   #507
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Guess not. I don't believe in the CT that jews are behind mass immigration, I couldn't find a more tasteful image to get the point across.
To a person not estranged from the thought process, the absence of a more tasteful image might be thought indictative of something.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:04 PM   #508
Baylor
Philosopher

Sometimes it takes something shocking to get a point through someone's skull. My country's borders aren't to be breached because some European likes to pretend he suddenly cares about Central American children.
Old 30th November 2018, 09:20 PM   #509
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It sure rhymes.
Lorena and her two children hold out their arms to show the numbers they were given to be on a list of migrants seeking political asylum in the United States. (Photo: Adria Malcolm for Yahoo News)
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:23 PM   #510
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
When fascism comes to America it will be disguised as anti-fascism.
LOL, so the alt right and promoters of ethnic cleansing are not fascist?
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:22 PM   #511
Allen773
Muse

Why would anyone defend Trump at this point - on anything?
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:50 PM   #512
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Why would anyone defend Trump at this point - on anything?
Why would anyone disagree with you at this point - on anything?

It's a mystery, I tell you.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 04:07 PM   #513
smartcooky
Philosopher

<image snipped in disgust>
Disgraceful. It says more about you that anything else.

At least we know for sure now that we are dealing with a racist bigot.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 04:15 PM   #514
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It sure rhymes.
No, it really doesn't. Sorry to ruin the party.
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:22 PM   #515
Civet
Graduate Poster

Gonna point out here that the numbers are being written on migrants by the charitable organization Casa Del Migrantes, not US government employees. They could have handled it better but we're talking about a charity that's trying to provide aid to a lot of people in a hurry so I'm inclined to cut them a little slack.

Info here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/take-numb...210835939.html

Carry on.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:15 PM   #516
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why would anyone disagree with you at this point - on anything?

It's a mystery, I tell you.
Oh I know that a lot of people are disgusting (Exhibit A: Trump and his cultish fan club) so the question was merely rhetorical.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:56 AM   #517
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Which camps and when for hitler? We certainly do have concentration camps by the historic definition dating back the the Boer war. And yes in popular culture the difference between concentration camps and death camps is rather muddied but they still fit the definition.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:57 PM   #518
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the policy stinks on ice, but are you seriously suggesting genocide is in the works?
With Trumpf, who knows.....

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 08:00 AM   #519
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
With Trumpf, who knows.....
Everyone. Everyone knows that genocide isn't in the works. Even the people claiming it don't really believe it. They certainly don't act like they believe it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 01:26 AM   #520
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Everyone. Everyone knows that genocide isn't in the works. Even the people claiming it don't really believe it. They certainly don't act like they believe it.
Correct.
Genocide requires organization, commitment, a thick skin for bad press and an ideology.
Trump has none of these things.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics