ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 12th May 2018, 05:05 PM   #361
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,844
Originally Posted by logger View Post
The left and double standards!
The right and nothing but evil!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:17 PM   #362
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,324
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Can’t imagine why you find those questions interesting. Method terminated? What methods are there and what difference does that make?
And I cannot imagine how those questions could not be seen as highly relevant to the issues at hand.

But I suppose that shows we both have something in common: lack of imagination.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:22 PM   #363
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,000
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That is a actual quote of an actual post “responding” to one of my posts, although I absolutely agree that is not at all a logical argument.

Happy to see some consensus here!
Nor was it intended to be a "logical argument," as you've repeatedly been informed. That's the part you don't seem to get. And your "claim" that "Avenatti is a ass" is neither an actual claim of fact or a logical argument; it's just an ordinary subjective opinion, which makes your hypocrisy relevant in judging its worth.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:39 PM   #364
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nor was it intended to be a "logical argument," as you've repeatedly been informed. That's the part you don't seem to get. And your "claim" that "Avenatti is a ass" is neither an actual claim of fact or a logical argument; it's just an ordinary subjective opinion, which makes your hypocrisy relevant in judging its worth.
I can see why the Big Dog says Avenatti is an ass. I mean Avenatti has been kicking Trump's ass etc all over the schoolyard. Avenatti has be 99 percent correct and Trump and the Big Dog have been 99 percent wrong. I'm so proud of Avenatti for enlightening the American people and beating Trump on TV like a pinata at a ten year olds birthday party.

What I keep hearing from TBD is faux outrage. He's not being a hypocrite. He's desperately trying to divert everyone from the slush fund and the corruption. He doesn't want to talk about whether the facts Avenatti has brought to light are true because he knows that they are and he knows Trump's White House stinks like a cesspool.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:45 PM   #365
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,818
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nor was it intended to be a "logical argument," as you've repeatedly been informed. That's the part you don't seem to get. And your "claim" that "Avenatti is a ass" is neither an actual claim of fact or a logical argument; it's just an ordinary subjective opinion, which makes your hypocrisy relevant in judging its worth.
It was not supposed to be a logical argument? What was it supposed to be then?

My posts are pointing out that Avenatti is acting wildly unprofessionally with specific explanations why, which arguments have been "countered" with accusations of hypocrisy, in other words, not countered at all.
__________________
Very legal and very cool!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:50 PM   #366
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,818
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
And I cannot imagine how those questions could not be seen as highly relevant to the issues at hand.

But I suppose that shows we both have something in common: lack of imagination.
Perhaps it is due to the fact that you have not explained why you believe it is relevant?
__________________
Very legal and very cool!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 05:58 PM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It was not supposed to be a logical argument? What was it supposed to be then?

My posts are pointing out that Avenatti is acting wildly unprofessionally with specific explanations why, which arguments have been "countered" with accusations of hypocrisy, in other words, not countered at all.
Your posts are a diversion from the lies, sleaze and corruption of the Trump cabal. You don't want to discuss the evidence so you are talking about the lawyer who has brought that to light. God forbid you talk about meaningful facts.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:11 PM   #368
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Your posts are a diversion from the lies, sleaze and corruption of the Trump cabal. You don't want to discuss the evidence so you are talking about the lawyer who has brought that to light. God forbid you talk about meaningful facts.
TBD has been clearly arguing the facts from the beginning.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:27 PM   #369
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
TBD has been clearly arguing the facts from the beginning.
No, he hasn't. This is the Stormy Daniels thread. He hasn't been discussing the evidence of that case. All he's been doing is whining about Avenatti as opposed to whether Trump slept with a porn star right after his wife gave birth to his son. He hasn't been discussing how Trump and Cohen are going to collect from Me. Daniels damages and if they can enforce the NDA. He hasn't been discussing the porn star slush fund and whether Cohen and/or Trump broke the law when they paid off Daniels.

I predicted that Cohen and Trump would release Daniels from the NDA by the end of summer.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:38 PM   #370
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,410
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
...
I predicted that Cohen and Trump would release Daniels from the NDA by the end of summer.
Bet right now they are wishing they had renegotiated the terms, or tried to anyway.

Would have been worth at least a couple million to keep Avenatti from opening up the slush fund can of worms. Whoops! Too late now.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:41 PM   #371
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, he hasn't. This is the Stormy Daniels thread. He hasn't been discussing the evidence of that case. All he's been doing is whining about Avenatti as opposed to whether Trump slept with a porn star right after his wife gave birth to his son. He hasn't been discussing how Trump and Cohen are going to collect from Me. Daniels damages and if they can enforce the NDA. He hasn't been discussing the porn star slush fund and whether Cohen and/or Trump broke the law when they paid off Daniels.

I predicted that Cohen and Trump would release Daniels from the NDA by the end of summer.
You obviously haven’t been paying attention.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:51 PM   #372
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,324
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Perhaps it is due to the fact that you have not explained why you believe it is relevant?
Against my better judgment...

...for one thing, with Cohen accepting large sums of money for some sort of services rendered, whether he was also acting as the president’s attorney at any given time is relevant to whether attorney/client privilege can be invoked for any given conversation.

Right now, my working hypothesis is that there was no date certain where Cohen was formally dismissed. As such, Trump and Cohen can retroactively decide on the date most advantageous to them. That’s why it’s a question that should be answered forthwith.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #373
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
You obviously haven’t been paying attention.
I've been paying a great deal of attention. TBD may have discussed that at one time, but his focus has continually shifted to Avenatti and unsubstantiated attacks on him. What we see in this case is sleaze and corruption. Cohen is certain to be indicted and disbarred and the Stormy Daniels case is on life support. And there is nothing but wild whines about Avenatti.

Mark Felt told Woodward and Bernstein to follow the money. Avenatti has provided a sneak peak into Trump's money trail. Can't wait to see more.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:02 PM   #374
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,818
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Against my better judgment...

...for one thing, with Cohen accepting large sums of money for some sort of services rendered, whether he was also acting as the president’s attorney at any given time is relevant to whether attorney/client privilege can be invoked for any given conversation.

Right now, my working hypothesis is that there was no date certain where Cohen was formally dismissed. As such, Trump and Cohen can retroactively decide on the date most advantageous to them. That’s why it’s a question that should be answered forthwith.
That is not the way attorney client privilege works. The privilege is Trump’s and attorney client privilege survives the termination of the relationship in any event.
__________________
Very legal and very cool!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th May 2018 at 07:07 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:04 PM   #375
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 603
In any legal defense there are three options, so I've seen written.

1) When the evidence is on your side, pound the evidence.
2) When the law is on your side, pound the law.
3) When neither is on your side, pound the table.

I see a lot of table pounding by Trump's defenders. They just don't recognize that they're doing it.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:07 PM   #376
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,324
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That is not the way attorney client privilege works. The privilege is Trump’s and arrorney client privilege survives the termination of the relationship in any event.
Yes, but not for conversations after the attorney is dismissed.

Which is the reason it’s important to know exactly when the relationship was terminated.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:09 PM   #377
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
That is not the way attorney client privilege works. The privilege is Trump’s and arrorney client privilege survives the termination of the relationship in any event.
No, it only applies to legal work while Cohen is his attorney. Anything said or done outside that arena or outside that time period is not protected.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th May 2018 at 07:23 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:15 PM   #378
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've been paying a great deal of attention. TBD may have discussed that at one time, but his focus has continually shifted to Avenatti and unsubstantiated attacks on him. What we see in this case is sleaze and corruption. Cohen is certain to be indicted and disbarred and the Stormy Daniels case is on life support. And there is nothing but wild whines about Avenatti.

Mark Felt told Woodward and Bernstein to follow the money. Avenatti has provided a sneak peak into Trump's money trail. Can't wait to see more.
You have an interesting way of trying to push the discussion in exactly to way you’d like it to go. Even when you’ve been proven wrong.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:17 PM   #379
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
In any legal defense there are three options, so I've seen written.

1) When the evidence is on your side, pound the evidence.
2) When the law is on your side, pound the law.
3) When neither is on your side, pound the table.

I see a lot of table pounding by Trump's defenders. They just don't recognize that they're doing it.
You’ve missed all the posts attacking TBD and constantly accusing trump of lies corruption and dishonesty? Isn’t that the table pounding you’re talking about?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:19 PM   #380
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, it only applies to legal work while Avenatti is his attorney. Anything said or done outside that arena or outside that time period is not protected.
That is clearly not true.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #381
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Yes, but not for conversations after the attorney is dismissed.

Which is the reason it’s important to know exactly when the relationship was terminated.
The privilege never ends unless the client says so.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #382
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
That is clearly not true.
I meant Cohen. Not sure if that makes a difference in your reply.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:27 PM   #383
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
The privilege never ends unless the client says so.
Wrong. If Trump discussed anything with Cohen after he terminated Cohen, NONE of that would be protected. Only real legal work is protected.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:32 PM   #384
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,410
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wrong. If Trump discussed anything with Cohen after he terminated Cohen, NONE of that would be protected. Only real legal work is protected.
Not only that but pretty much Cohen and Trump conspiring to shakedown AT&T et al to fund a slush fund exceeds the limits of A-C privilege going into the territory of conspiring to commit criminal acts.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:34 PM   #385
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,818
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Yes, but not for conversations after the attorney is dismissed.

Which is the reason it’s important to know exactly when the relationship was terminated.
That is of course not accurate. The attorney client privilege does not terminate upon the termination of the relationship. Thus if trump and Cohen discuss today something that was privileged in October 2016, the former discussion and the new discussion are of course privileged.
__________________
Very legal and very cool!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:36 PM   #386
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
You have an interesting way of trying to push the discussion in exactly to way you’d like it to go. Even when you’ve been proven wrong.
If only I have been proven wrong in this thread. Oh well, guess we should get back to that NDA that will never be enforced.

Avenatti should send Trump and Cohen a thank you note. They have made Avenatti into a household name. How much money is that worth?

As a side, do you think Trump will pardon Cohen,? Or is he going to flip? Want to bet on whether Cohen will be disbarred?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:36 PM   #387
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wrong. If Trump discussed anything with Cohen after he terminated Cohen, NONE of that would be protected. Only real legal work is protected.
Lordy!

That isn’t what we’re discussing. Trump hasn’t terminated Cohen.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:38 PM   #388
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If only I have been proven wrong in this thread. Oh well, guess we should get back to that NDA that will never be enforced.

Avenatti should send Trump and Cohen a thank you note. They have made Avenatti into a household name. How much money is that worth?

As a side, do you think Trump will pardon Cohen,? Or is he going to flip? Want to bet on whether Cohen will be disbarred?
Avenatti looks like an ambulance chasing fool, who is quickly looking more and more like a partisan hack. Look how he triggers those who agree with him?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:39 PM   #389
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not only that but pretty much Cohen and Trump conspiring to shakedown AT&T et al to fund a slush fund exceeds the limits of A-C privilege going into the territory of conspiring to commit criminal acts.
If one dollar of that can be traced to Trump or the Trump organization, then we are looking at extortion and violation of RICO statutes.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:48 PM   #390
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Avenatti looks like an ambulance chasing fool, who is quickly looking more and more like a partisan hack. Look how he triggers those who agree with him?
Avenatti looks like a genius. He's taken a tiny little case and turned himself into one of the best known attorneys in America. Clients are probably lining up for his representation.

He singlehandedly shut Trump up. No mean feat since Trump is incapable of that.

Avenatti is articulate and the ladies love him. I keep seeing things like Avenatti is a hottie.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 07:59 PM   #391
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Avenatti looks like a genius. He's taken a tiny little case and turned himself into one of the best known attorneys in America. Clients are probably lining up for his representation.

He singlehandedly shut Trump up. No mean feat since Trump is incapable of that.

Avenatti is articulate and the ladies love him. I keep seeing things like Avenatti is a hottie.
It’s all due to the free ride he’s gotten from the media, since they are hopelessly biased left, they have an interest in promoting him. Even you have admitted several times what that free press is worth.

Last edited by logger; 12th May 2018 at 08:00 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:12 PM   #392
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
It’s all due to the free ride he’s gotten from the media, since they are hopelessly biased left, they have an interest in promoting him. Even you have admitted several times what that free press is worth.
What about Trump's free ride during the campaign?

Seems to me that Avenatti had a story to tell that the media instinctively loves. Sex, power, money, corruption, payoffs, slush fund and a young handsome articulate attorney to tell it.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:14 PM   #393
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by logger View Post
It’s all due to the free ride he’s gotten from the media, since they are hopelessly biased left, they have an interest in promoting him. Even you have admitted several times what that free press is worth.
What was the media bias when Trump got what was estimated to be something like a billion (?) dollars of free coverage during the campaign? Perhaps we should just say that the media covers what sells.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:15 PM   #394
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What about Trump's free ride during the campaign?
So what? Has nothing to do with this.
Quote:
Seems to me that Avenatti had a story to tell that the media instinctively loves. Sex, power, money, corruption, payoffs, slush fund and a young handsome articulate attorney to tell it.
Handsome? Lol

Stormy seems to like what she’s getting.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:19 PM   #395
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
What was the media bias when Trump got what was estimated to be something like a billion (?) dollars of free coverage during the campaign? Perhaps we should just say that the media covers what sells.
So what? It was discussed at infinitum how Trump was a master at keeping the media’s attention
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:29 PM   #396
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,000
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It was not supposed to be a logical argument? What was it supposed to be then?
Well, that particular quote was a sarcastic prediction about what would be found in a history search, which is why I sarcastically questioned your understanding of the concept of "argument."

You must be referring to an argument that you think Cain is implicitly making? (See: straw man.)

Quote:
My posts are pointing out that Avenatti is acting wildly unprofessionally with specific explanations why, which arguments have been "countered" with accusations of hypocrisy, in other words, not countered at all.
Again, your subjective opinion about Avenatti is not quite the same thing as a "logical argument" that can be refuted, but even if I take it as such, a tu quoque fallacy would be, "You're a hypocrite, therefore you're wrong: Avenatti is acting professionally." Pointing out that your subjective opinions are heavily biased is not a fallacy, nor is mocking your hypocrisy.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:40 PM   #397
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,410
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If one dollar of that can be traced to Trump or the Trump organization, then we are looking at extortion and violation of RICO statutes.
Think Cohen is going to take the rap for money from AT&T to Stormy for Trump?

Wonder if Cohen actually took out the home equity line of credit to muddy the waters, hard to tell which money went where. Or maybe he never took that line of credit out.

Just when they look like bumbling crooks, it could be they know how to launder money with exquisite expertise.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th May 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:42 PM   #398
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,818
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Well, that particular quote was a sarcastic prediction about what would be found in a history search, which is why I sarcastically questioned your understanding of the concept of "argument."

You must be referring to an argument that you think Cain is implicitly making? (See: straw man.)

Again, your subjective opinion about Avenatti is not quite the same thing as a "logical argument" that can be refuted, but even if I take it as such, a tu quoque fallacy would be, "You're a hypocrite, therefore you're wrong: Avenatti is acting professionally." Pointing out that your subjective opinions are heavily biased is not a fallacy, nor is mocking your hypocrisy.
Claiming that I am biased rather than addressing my argument is the very definition of an ad hominem fallacy.

Although, strangely enough on the hierarchy of argument your defense of these claims as “mocking” is actually on the very lowest level, so thanks:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...sagreement.svg
__________________
Very legal and very cool!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:56 PM   #399
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by logger View Post
So what? Has nothing to do with this.


Handsome? Lol

Stormy seems to like what she’s getting.
Hey, I'm not really the one calling Avenatti handsome. He's been described that way by Women's magazines, Salon, Huffington, Slate,people on MSNBC, CNN, the women on The View were gushing over him.

Stormy has to love him. Avenatti has pretty much freed her from the NDA and she has been making a pretty penny herself.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 09:01 PM   #400
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Think Cohen is going to take the rap for money from AT&T to Stormy for Trump?

Wonder if Cohen actually took out the home equity line of credit to muddy the waters, hard to tell which money went where. Or maybe he never took that line of credit out.

Just when they look like bumbling crooks, it could be they know how to launder money with exquisite expertise.
I think at some point Cohen is going to flip on Trump. Looks like Stormy Daniels previous lawyer Davidson was double dealing and now he has flipped on Cohen and is working with the Feds.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.