ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags domestic violence , Michael Avenatti

Old 12th November 2018, 10:25 AM   #361
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
How do we know who is telling the truth?

Easy, the person who hired ambulance chasing non-attorney in Virginia Michael Avenatti is not.

by the way, they were both members of a country club, and now Avenatti's client is not.

Telling.

#IBelieveHer
Thank you for the candid reply.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:37 AM   #362
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Didn't get the point, did you:
you suggested that being kick out of a Club supports the argument that he was lying.
You Sir, are a Snob.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:52 AM   #363
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Didn't get the point, did you:
you suggested that being kick out of a Club supports the argument that he was lying.
As detailed in the actual link provided the person who called the young woman a "******* ****" and a whore had his membership terminated following an investigation due to his grossly inappropriate conduct.

Shocked that people would actually defend this misogynistic bully, but I should know better than to expect anything less from the Left.
Old 12th November 2018, 11:21 AM   #364
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

i have no beef in this apart from hoping it goes on as long as possible for entertainment purposes..
Old 12th November 2018, 11:24 AM   #365
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

As detailed in the actual link provided the person who called the young woman a "******* ****" and a whore had his membership terminated following an investigation due to his grossly inappropriate conduct.

Shocked that people would actually defend this misogynistic bully, but I should know better than to expect anything less from the Left.
i have no beef in this apart from hoping it goes on as long as possible for entertainment purposes..
no beef with the misogynistic bully

check
Old 12th November 2018, 11:46 AM   #366
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

no beef with the misogynistic bully

check
looks like it's now a legal matter - why would I interfere in that?
Old 12th November 2018, 11:52 AM   #367
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

looks like it's now a legal matter - why would I interfere in that?
No one is asking you to interfere in any way shape or form.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #368
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

By the way? A real problem for the unauthorized practice of law is that serial violators like Avenatti are not familiar with local laws. Here Thirsty claimed that "It likely includes underage drinking in violation of VA law." oops, people who are not yet 21 years old can drink in Virginia when they are with their parents.

Avenatti ain't just a grifter, he is totally incompetent
Old 12th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #369
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

By the way? A real problem for the unauthorized practice of law is that serial violators like Avenatti are not familiar with local laws. Here Thirsty claimed that "It likely includes underage drinking in violation of VA law." oops, people who are not yet 21 years old can drink in Virginia when they are with their parents.

Avenatti ain't just a grifter, he is totally incompetent
Not a lawyer, but being able to drink under the supervision of her parents is not the same as being served at a licensed bar. That's probably still illegal, though the liability may be more on the bar.

My reading of the statute is that parents may provide alcohol to their children under 21 at their private residence. Doesn't seem to be any exemption for drinking in public or any exemption for a licensed bar to allow anyone under 21 to consume.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/4.1-200/

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th November 2018 at 12:12 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 02:09 PM   #370
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The guy denies Carlson's accusations. It says so in the article you cited. And he says there are witnessed who can attest.

I don't know who is telling the truth. How have you ascertained that it's Carlson telling the truth? Are there (non family member) witnesses?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...652570624.html

Quote:
One last point on the Tucker Carlson protest, you don't wanna believe the protestors, why not go with the police version of events?

Cause there is a police report.

I'm gonna say that's a more reliable source than Mr. Carlson.

And it completely contradicts him.

Here goes.
First, the police interacted w/ the protestors as they were leaving & they didn't arrest anyone.

They actually saw the person spray-paint the anarchist symbol on the driveway.

The protestors were walking away slowly. Two walked with canes (yes). No one tried to run.
BTW there were 4 legal observers at this protest. People going to someone's house to break in, don't usually take legal observers.
The police talked to the protestors about not having a problem w/ them exercising their first amendment rights but that spray-painting the driveway was crossing the line. That was the issue.
If the police had received a frantic 911 call from Mrs. Carlson saying she was terrified, had locked herself in her pantry & people were trying to break into her house, there is no way that the police would have let the protestors go. They would have made arrests.
They would have sent so many squad cars to that location if she represented what was happening in that way. Police tend to over-react. They didn't here. That tells me Mrs. Carlson did not call & say she was being terrorized.
In the police report, there is no mention whatsoever of any damage to the front door of Mr. Carlson's residence. Not a scratch. This is consistent w/ protestors' saying they simply knocked on the door and then left a placard resting on it before retreating to the street.
There is no mention in the police report of anyone chanting anything about pipe bombs or chanting any sort of threats against Mr. Carlson.
What the police appeared to be focused on was the spraying of the anarchist symbol on the driveway of the residence by one person. That was the extent of the property damage. That was the extent of the activity that could possibly be construed as unlawful.
Even when it was reported that the incident was being looked at as a hate crime, it appears that this was the focus of the investigation.
(How that could in any way be prosecuted as a hate crime is a subject for another day.)
What is of concern now is that, since there has been such misreporting to which unfortunately people on the left like @StephenAtHome have given credence, there will be political pressure to bring criminal charges for activity that is not criminal.
I hope those people will take the time to reconsider and correct their misstatements.

Oh, hey, let me add, I'm not one to point to the police as a credible source. I am a public defender, people. But they are a more credible source here than Tucker Carlson. I am also trying to beat the MAGA folks at their own game. Like, what, you don't believe law enforcement?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 03:06 PM   #371
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
wrong incident

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th November 2018 at 04:22 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 09:12 AM   #372
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

"Cohen's lawyers argue that federal court should sanction both Michael Avenatti and Stormy Daniels for their defamation claim against him. A court has already tossed a defamation claim against President Trump, for which his lawyers are seeking sanctions."

They also tear him a new one for having the worst ten days a lawyer has had in a long, long time:

Enjoy!
Old 14th November 2018, 09:33 AM   #373
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

err...
as evidence that Cohen has a legitimate claim against Avenatti for defaming him, you bring out the fact that Daniels plus lawyer didn't have a legitimate defamation claim against Trump?

all you are showing is how hard it is to make a defamation suit stick.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:15 AM   #374
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

err...
as evidence that Cohen has a legitimate claim against Avenatti for defaming him, you bring out the fact that Daniels plus lawyer didn't have a legitimate defamation claim against Trump?

all you are showing is how hard it is to make a defamation suit stick.
no one is asserting that Cohen has a claim against Avenatti for defaming him, the claim is that Avenatti is subject to sanctions under the Anti-Slapp law, similar to how the claim against Trump was tossed and the judge told Trump to seek fees against Avenatti/Stormy
Old 14th November 2018, 04:02 PM   #375
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Avenatti Has Been Arrested On Suspicion Of Domestic Violence

Literally breaking right now so the facts are very slim

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...natti-arrested
Old 14th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #376
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

TMZ says he smacked his ex wife around

More details

http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/14/michae...iels-attorney/

"she hit me first"

Oh Mike.....

Last edited by The Big Dog; 14th November 2018 at 04:08 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:24 PM   #377
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Vermont Democratic Party immediately cancels events planned with Michael Avenatti: “We have not heard from his people, but while there is some kind of arrest and investigation to ensue, we’re not going to step into that arena with him."
Old 14th November 2018, 04:25 PM   #378
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Different people have different approaches at different times. Here is mine for the next two and half years: WHEN THEY GO LOW, WE HIT HARDER. #Basta #FightClub

-M. Avenatti
Old 14th November 2018, 04:30 PM   #379
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

With any luck, this spells the end of his preposterous political aspirations.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:31 PM   #380
Doubt
Philosopher

Well that is awkward. Wikipedia says he was divorced in 2017. NBC just said they are estranged.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:32 PM   #381
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully the arrest will end this whole fiasco. It lost whatever entertainment value it had quite a while ago.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:39 PM   #382
Belz...
Fiend God

Literally breaking right now so the facts are very slim
That's never stopped you before.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 04:59 PM   #383
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Having no facts whatsoever, this time around instinct tells me... "set-up".
Old 14th November 2018, 05:01 PM   #384
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to agree with Squeezee a few pages back;that so many here were so quick to defend Avenatti is a sad comment on the whole"I must defend anybody on my side to the end" mentality in US Politics today.
Looks, I enjoyed seeing Avenatti rile up Trump and his lawyers as much as anybody, but was never under the illusion he was anything other then a scumbucket lawyer, the kind that gives the legal profession such a bad name.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 05:03 PM   #385
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Having no facts whatsoever, this time around instinct tells me... "set-up".
Take it to the conspiray section, guy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2018, 05:12 PM   #386
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to agree with Squeezee a few pages back;that so many here were so quick to defend Avenatti is a sad comment on the whole"I must defend anybody on my side to the end" mentality in US Politics today.
Looks, I enjoyed seeing Avenatti rile up Trump and his lawyers as much as anybody, but was never under the illusion he was anything other then a scumbucket lawyer, the kind that gives the legal profession such a bad name.
I haven't watched any of Avenatti's recorded statements or his behavior generally, outside of what's been reported on the news. I support Stormy Daniels; but I have grown increasingly disgusted with the way Avenatti very obviously began to try to leverage his status as Daniels' attorney into some kind of celebrity anti-Trump leadership role. Trying to insert himself into the Kavenaugh business was the final straw for me; I don't care what happens to him.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 05:42 PM   #387
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Michael Avenatti arrested

Michael Avenatti is in jail today on domestic violence charges. https://www.thedailybeast.com/michae...e-tmz?ref=home
Interesting times indead.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 05:53 PM   #388
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Michael Avenatti is in jail today on domestic violence charges. https://www.thedailybeast.com/michae...e-tmz?ref=home
Interesting times indead.
Yeah, gonna call 48-hour rule on this one, especially after reading this in the Buzzfeed article

Quote:
"My client and I have reviewed the TMZ article alleging that my client, Lisa Storie-Avenatti, has been injured and that Michael Avenatti has been arrested as a result of some incident that occurred between them. This article is not true as it pertains to my client," the statement said. "Ms. Storie-Avenatti was not subject to any such incident on Tuesday night. Further, she was not at Mr. Avenatti’s apartment on the date that this alleged incident occurred. My client states that there has never been domestic violence in her relationship with Michael and that she has never known Michael to be physically violent toward anyone."
Old 14th November 2018, 06:01 PM   #389
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I haven't watched any of Avenatti's recorded statements or his behavior generally, outside of what's been reported on the news. I support Stormy Daniels; but I have grown increasingly disgusted with the way Avenatti very obviously began to try to leverage his status as Daniels' attorney into some kind of celebrity anti-Trump leadership role. Trying to insert himself into the Kavenaugh business was the final straw for me; I don't care what happens to him.
He is too much like Trump for my taste; he seems willing to say or do anything to advance himself.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th November 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 14th November 2018, 06:25 PM   #390
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Unless someone hacked the LAPD HQ Twitter account and their internet pages, the arrest report is valid. They say nothing as to who the violence was perpetrated against, though. The denial from the former wife doesn't mean much, other than that she wasn't involved.

Story needs to play out somewhere other than Buzzfeed, Daily Beast and TMZ.

I'll remain agnostic as to the whole thing until there are more details from credible sources. CNN picked the story up about twenty minutes ago but it's a pool rewrite of the stuff on the news wire.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 06:47 PM   #391
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The original report said it was Avenatti's estranged wife who made the complaint, but she has denied it ever happened and that she has not seen Avenatti in months. The report is now that it was "a woman" but does not identify her.

I can't help but be suspicious of the claim. I will hold off judgment until there is a proper investigation. However, you just know there will be protestations from Trump supporters screaming that "the woman" (whoever she is) must be believed or the "libtards" are being hypocrites after the Blasey-Ford/ Kavanaugh story. Of course, the situation is different at this time but that won't stop them.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 14th November 2018 at 07:09 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 06:47 PM   #392
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Updated reports are that it was not his estranged wife.

He certainly got arrested so perhaps a date??
Old 14th November 2018, 06:57 PM   #393
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Avenatti says in a statement released through his law firm that the allegations against him are "completely bogus" and that they are "fabricated and meant to do harm to my reputation." LAPD says the victim had visible injuries and Avenatti is being held on $50K bail.

Guess all that ******** about believing the victim was just smoke.

"She hit me first!"
Old 14th November 2018, 07:08 PM   #394
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

If Anennati was my hero I would feel devestated. But he's not.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 07:14 PM   #395
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Updated reports are that it was not his estranged wife.

He certainly got arrested so perhaps a date??
Slapping a hooker around wouldn’t be out of character.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:11 PM   #396
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Possible swatting, we'll see.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:19 PM   #397
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The LAPD has already obtained an emergency protective order, prohibiting Avenatti from going near the alleged victim.

I said the other day that Avenatti had a bad week, but damn, when it rains, it pours....

Good
Old 14th November 2018, 08:23 PM   #398
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

HEADLINE! Something unfortunate happens to nonentity on other side of planet! Traffic jams ensue.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 08:37 PM   #399
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Meh.
The Avenatti Show was decent entertainment and I had hoped it would run for another Season.
Too bad it got cancelled already.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:39 PM   #400
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Possible swatting, we'll see.
After the whole Mueller accusation debacle, it's certainly within the realm of possibility. Either way, the whole situation is one huge goat rodeo.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics