ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags domestic violence , Michael Avenatti

Old 26th July 2018, 09:05 AM   #201
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You know that "y'all" is plural and I'm just one person, don't you? Are you conferring the "royal we" on me?
No, plural is "all y'all."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 09:19 AM   #202
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The LA Times and other media outlets are pressing for the release of the transcript and tapes of the hearing (which of course should have been done in open court in the first place)

Recall that this whole bankruptcy mess started with a very shady involuntary bankruptcy filing in Florida, that one can be sure thirsty did not at all completely orchestrate.

Lets get these spread wide: #releasetheBKtapes!
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Jesus Christ, can someone change the ******* record? This is the same **** you've posted twice before.
<snip>

TBD could prove definitively all the negative things he says about Avenatti and it wouldn't make Trump his hero, the president, any less sleazy or any less corrupt. It wouldn't make Avenatti's story about Trump any less true or less important.

I concede to The Big Dog that Avenatti is interested in publicity. I concede that part of his motive is promotion. I concede to The Big Dog that Avenatti is trying to expose a public government official and his fixer while at the same time trying to keep potentially embarrassing personal legal issues private. As hypocritical as TBD says that is, it pales in comparison to his own hypocritical evaluation of character and morality.

The rest of us can clearly see his faux outrage and are amused by it. His double standard over Avenatti demonstrate an amazing dearth of intellectual integrity. How does one make post after post about Avenatti and his bankruptcy and ignore Trump's 6 bankruptcies? How does one complain and focus on Avenatti, a private citizen wish for a limited amount of privacy and defend a candidate and government official supported by the Christian Right paying off woman after woman for illicit affairs?

With the Big Dog It's one tu quoque fallacy and false equivalence after another.

<snip>

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 12

Last edited by Loss Leader; 26th July 2018 at 06:42 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 09:38 AM   #203
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

A few hours after barring the media from his bankruptcy, Thirsty was bragging about getting an invite to a Democratic party in Iowa that is widely considered a precursor to a run for President.

I bet the multiple time felon that helped orchestrate the filing of the involuntary bankruptcy, that was also locked down tight as tick with Michael "transparacy" Avenatti's NDA's, is going to be the belle of the ball shortly.

Thirsty is Thirsty to become the democratic candidate for president.

These truly are salad days.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 26th July 2018 at 09:42 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 09:40 AM   #204
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Generally referring to the people who are desperately ignoring the facts I am bringing to this thread and want to talk about anything but the fact that Avenatti is a scumbag.
Well, this is the USA Politics thread. Maybe if you could explain what political significance this has, it would be a lot more interesting. For example, Donald Trump is a scumbag, but it wouldn't matter if he wasn't debasing and disgracing the office of president, intentionally doing a lot of long-term damage to American institutions that are vital to a democracy, and generally ******* up everything he touches. There are a lot of Republican scumbags who would be irrelevant except that they are using their power in Congress to enable and protect him. Get my drift? Why should we care about "the fact that Avenatti is a scumbag?"
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 11:01 AM   #205
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Generally referring to the people who are desperately ignoring the facts I am bringing to this thread and want to talk about anything but the fact that Avenatti is a scumbag.
Ah, then it wasn't actually a reply to the post you quoted. Okay.
Old 26th July 2018, 11:22 AM   #206
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Well, this is the USA Politics thread. Maybe if you could explain what political significance this has, it would be a lot more interesting. For example, Donald Trump is a scumbag, but it wouldn't matter if he wasn't debasing and disgracing the office of president, intentionally doing a lot of long-term damage to American institutions that are vital to a democracy, and generally ******* up everything he touches. There are a lot of Republican scumbags who would be irrelevant except that they are using their power in Congress to enable and protect him. Get my drift? Why should we care about "the fact that Avenatti is a scumbag?"
I thought that same thing when this was started. What the hell does this guy and his personal life have to do with USA politics? In fact, I think I'll report my post and try to have this moved. It makes no sense being in this subforum.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 11:30 AM   #207
Joecool
Master Poster

Quote:
Avenatti himself spoke to federal district Judge Catherine E. Bauer, saying about his former partner, "They want to embarrass my law firm. They want to embarrass me."
Quote:
After more than an hour of answering questions behind closed doors, Avenatti told CNN, "I'm all for freedom of the press and open access. But everything has its limits. My personal financial dealings and that of an old law firm are of no relevance and, you know, we're not going to be leveraged by other people who are trying to get famous and take advantage of the situation."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/polit...irs/index.html

Isn't there a saying that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 12:01 PM   #208
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Not so long ago Thirsty wrote:

"When history is written there will be no doubt as to whether I contributed to and defended 1st Amend values. None."

And for the first time, I fully agree with Michael Avenatti, there is no doubt as to whether he contributed to and defended 1st Amendment values:

Avenatti most certainly did not contribute to or defend First Amendment values.

Consensus!
Old 26th July 2018, 12:09 PM   #209
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/polit...irs/index.html

Isn't there a saying that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones?
Apparently the judge agreed with him. I also have issues with political candidates buying silence.

I'd love there to an exemption to NDAs involving political candidates and or public officials. The moment a person files to run for office or is appointed to political office or takes an oath of office all such NDAs become null and void. Also anyone who agrees to sell a story about a political candidate with the intention of that story being published which is not published in a timely manner may sell it to another publisher. That would eliminate the catch and kill tactics that American Media and others applied.
Old 26th July 2018, 12:13 PM   #210
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

A few hours after barring the media from his bankruptcy, Thirsty was bragging about getting an invite to a Democratic party in Iowa that is widely considered a precursor to a run for President.

I bet the multiple time felon that helped orchestrate the filing of the involuntary bankruptcy, that was also locked down tight as tick with Michael "transparacy" Avenatti's NDA's, is going to be the belle of the ball shortly.

I was unaware of his felony convictions. Color me surprised.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 12:17 PM   #211
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Quote:

Tobin, 48, whose police record in Central Florida includes narcotics and burglary cases, declined to speak with a reporter outside his house in Orlando.

“I’m not disclosing any information to anybody,” he said.

Avenatti later sent The Times a statement from Tobin. Reached by phone, Tobin declined to say whether he’d signed it.

Minutes after The Times told Avenatti that Tobin would not confirm making the statement, Tobin emailed to say that he stood by everything in it.
so sleazy....

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...601-story.html
Old 26th July 2018, 12:24 PM   #212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Me too. I see no felony convictions listed on his Wikipedia page. Aren't there Bar rules preventing felons from practicing law? Hmmmm. Something tells me TBD is deliberately exaggerating (another term for lying) Kind of surprising that a Trump sycophant would engage in deception and disinformation.

Perhaps a retraction is in order?
Old 26th July 2018, 12:35 PM   #213
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, not a felon? And not a multiple time felon?

Avid readers will be shocked, shocked I tell you.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 12:44 PM   #214
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So, not a felon? And not a multiple time felon?

Avid readers will be shocked, shocked I tell you.
cool Rule of So.

Bit bewildering that you seems to be intentionally misrepresenting the article I provided. But thanks for doing so I that may continue to crush the thread with facts and third party objective sources

here's another one:

He's a convicted felon whose rap sheet is 15 pages long and spans four decades, according to court records. He served time in prison in the early 90s and was arrested on domestic violence charges as recently as February. (He pleaded not guilty and the case is awaiting trial).

Seems like a fine upstanding young man... well compared to Avenatti anyway.

dream thread.
Old 26th July 2018, 12:53 PM   #215
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, not Avenetti.

Sorry, I was trying to stick to the topic of your thread.

Old 26th July 2018, 12:57 PM   #216
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So, not Avenetti.

Sorry, I was trying to stick to the topic of your thread.
let me see if I understand this, you thought that Michael Avenatti signed a NDA with himself?

Read this in Count Rugan's voice: I think that's the worst thing I ever read…how marvelous.

salad days!
Old 26th July 2018, 01:07 PM   #217
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

let me see if I understand this, you thought that Michael Avenatti signed a NDA with himself?

Read this in Count Rugan's voice: I think that's the worst thing I ever read…how marvelous.

salad days!
Please, you can't think I read your whole posts. That would ruin half of the fun.

Old 26th July 2018, 03:14 PM   #218
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Oh, so this is just preliminary character assassination, just in case he does? Seems like there should be brighter blips on your radar. I have a feeling that our candidate will be a woman.
Old 26th July 2018, 03:22 PM   #219
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I have a feeling that our candidate will be a woman.
You want to feel a woman candidate, do you? Gonna grab her by the pussy?

Liberal hypocrite.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 04:43 PM   #220
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, so this is just preliminary character assassination, just in case he does? Seems like there should be brighter blips on your radar. I have a feeling that our candidate will be a woman.
He has no character.

This thread is about this blip. Aint no one forcing anyone to post or read here

Of course you may wish to stay and learn something.
Old 26th July 2018, 04:50 PM   #221
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He has no character.

He has damaged the president. That makes him a true patriot. I'm okay if he profits from his patriotism.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 05:13 PM   #222
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

He has no character.

Why are you afraid of Avenatti?
Old 26th July 2018, 05:35 PM   #223
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

He has no character.

“No character” says the Trump cheer squad member.
Old 26th July 2018, 07:40 PM   #224
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Why are you afraid of Avenatti?
Afraid? How exactly does exposing the fact that this clown is a scumbag show that I am afraid of him?

He is a grifter, a scum bag and a total hypocrite

Now that you mention it, I cannot think of a better candidate for the leftists.

Hee hee!
Old 26th July 2018, 07:55 PM   #225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Afraid? How exactly does exposing the fact that this clown is a scumbag show that I am afraid of him?

Hee hee!
You're afraid that this media savvy, intelligent articulate man might expose your hero of his character flaws which dwarf any that Avenatti has. Just imagine Trump and Avenatti debating each other on stage. Avenatti would wipe the floor with the weak pathetic Trump.

That scares you. That keeps Trump supporters up at night. Avenatti all the time taking a big bite out of the sleaziest man in America. Trump loses that election by 25 points.
Old 26th July 2018, 10:18 PM   #226
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hee hee!
Clown, scumbag show, grifter and total hypocrite - none could possibly apply to Dear Leader.
Old 26th July 2018, 11:57 PM   #227
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Hee hee!
It was kind of a trick question. It would be very foolish for trumpers to not be afraid of him. Michael Avenatti Says He’ll Represent Three More Women Allegedly Paid Off by Trump
Old 27th July 2018, 06:08 AM   #228
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It was kind of a trick question. It would be very foolish for trumpers to not be afraid of him. Michael Avenatti Says He’ll Represent Three More Women Allegedly Paid Off by Trump
he made the same claim months ago. Hopefully he can actually do something for them before he gets disbarred, lolz
Old 27th July 2018, 06:59 AM   #229
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

he made the same claim months ago. Hopefully he can actually do something for them before he gets disbarred, lolz
Is that why you're afraid of Avenatti?
Old 27th July 2018, 07:04 AM   #230
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Then the perfect lawyer to go after Trump. We don't need Boy Scouts here; we need experts in sleaze.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 08:12 AM   #231
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Hee hee!

You've made it crystal clear that these are character traits you prize in candidates for your own party.

This does not mean that everyone else would see them as positive attributes for their candidates.

Lots of projection going on there.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 08:19 AM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hee hee!
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You've made it crystal clear that these are character traits you prize in candidates for your own party.

This does not mean that everyone else would see them as positive attributes for their candidates.

Avenatti sounds almost as bad as the average Republican. Still, he pales in comparison to Donald J. Trump.
Old 27th July 2018, 08:22 AM   #233
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

False tu quoques are best ad hominems.

While you also accuse me of "projection" it is notable that you and our other correspondents have not in any way, shape or form contradicted what I have explained in depth in this thread about the subject of this thread. Indeed this is just another "whatabout Trump" nonresponse like all the others.
Old 27th July 2018, 08:58 AM   #234
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

AP: Avenatti announced Thursday on Twitter that he will be speaking at the Iowa Democratic Wing Ding in on Aug. 10 in Clear Lake, Iowa, a state with caucuses that play a pivotal role in winnowing the presidential field. Previous speakers included Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.

This is the greatest news I have ever heard.

Avenatti/Stormy 2020!
Old 27th July 2018, 09:17 AM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

While you also accuse me of "projection" it is notable that you and our other correspondents have not in any way, shape or form contradicted what I have explained in depth in this thread about the subject of this thread. Indeed this is just another "whatabout Trump" nonresponse like all the others.
Not really. It's about massive double standards.

Avenatti's behavior pales in comparison to Donald Trump. We're all out here shaking our heads reading your massive hyperbole and exaggeration toward Avenatti when these same traits you tag Avenatti with also clearly apply towards President Trump and on a far greater scale. We're all going 'huh, can he hear himself'?

Yet you NEVER EVER EVER criticize Trump. This is not an ad hominem or a tu quoque fallacy. It simply is pointing out hypocrisy and blinders. We're all wondering why Avenatti's behavior bothers you so much and Trump's behavior doesn't seem to phase you?

Especially when you consider that Avenatti can barely effect public policy if at all, whereas Trump as President clearly can.
Old 27th July 2018, 10:13 AM   #236
plague311
Great minds think...

You still have no clue at all what those mean. It's fun watching someone who holds themselves in such high regard, continue failing to understand what fallacies he's complaining about after it's been explained to you several times.

While you also accuse me of "projection" it is notable that you and our other correspondents have not in any way, shape or form contradicted what I have explained in depth in this thread about the subject of this thread.
Reading comprehension still an issue? No one is contradicting it because everyone here has accepted it. No one is arguing with you because best case scenario for you everything you've said is correct. Great! Guess what it changes? Nothing. No one is saying that Avenatti is a saint, or that he's a good man, or that he's above reproach. In fact, if Avenatti did all of these things several people in this thread have condemned those actions and said he should face the penalties for it. You won't accept that though. You want the argument, you want someone to contest it so you can post snarky one liners with links followed by random emojis. Neat, it appears most people are over it though.

With all of that being said, what is respected is his ability to Indeed this is just another "whatabout Trump" nonresponse like all the others.
Again, it's not a whataboutism. It's pointing out that you seem to have zero concept of consistent standards. While Avenatti is a terrible person for reasons x, y, and z. You're mysteriously quiet with regards to Trump having done X2, Y2, and Z2. Which is fun.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 10:46 AM   #237
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Avenatti sounds almost as bad as the average Republican. Still, he pales in comparison to Donald J. Trump.
Can you define average republican?

IMO, Avenatti could be Trump.

He doesn't want his personal finances disclosed. He talks big. He seems to enjoy the limelight and publicity. He doesn't like people taking advantage of his situation to capitalize and gain fame and fortune. In those regards, Avenatti is just like Trump.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 05:37 PM   #238
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Can you define average republican?
I'll leave that to your own imagination.
IMO, Avenatti could be Trump.

He doesn't want his personal finances disclosed. He talks big. He seems to enjoy the limelight and publicity. He doesn't like people taking advantage of his situation to capitalize and gain fame and fortune. In those regards, Avenatti is just like Trump.
Granted. They have a few similar traits. But those two traits are shared by a lot of people.

I don't doubt for a second that Avenatti isn't pure and is motivated by personal gain and attention.
Old 27th July 2018, 09:33 PM   #239
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Since the Big Dog didn't post it. Avenatti was in court today and Cohen's lawyer asked Judge Otero to issue a gag order against Avenatti. Otero said he would consider it, but is highly skeptical of the idea and is inclined to refuse their request.

I can't imagine that Otero would grant the request as it is not Judge Otero's job to protect Cohen from possible criminal charges that may or may not happen and if did wouldn't involve this judge.
Old 27th July 2018, 11:42 PM   #240
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

cool Rule of So.

Bit bewildering that you seems to be intentionally misrepresenting the article I provided. But thanks for doing so I that may continue to crush the thread with facts and third party objective sources

here's another one:

He's a convicted felon whose rap sheet is 15 pages long and spans four decades, according to court records. He served time in prison in the early 90s and was arrested on domestic violence charges as recently as February. (He pleaded not guilty and the case is awaiting trial).

Seems like a fine upstanding young man... well compared to Avenatti anyway.

dream thread.

Tobin isn't Avenatti

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics