ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 19th June 2018, 02:16 AM   #81
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/s...95502379077637

Quote:
This just in from @davidbegnaud: Border Patrol has reached out to @cbsthismorning and said they are "very uncomfortable" with the use of the word cages. They say it's not inaccurate and added that they may be cages but people are not being treated like animals.
Old 19th June 2018, 02:19 AM   #82
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...73908554805253

Quote:
Jeff Merkley tells CBS News that several of his Republican colleagues have told him that family separation is "terrible policy" but that they will only "call up and whisper to the admin ... they won't say it publicly."
Old 19th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #83
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just a reminder: “There’s a special place in hell for people who prey on children" - Ivanka Trump
Old 19th June 2018, 04:14 AM   #84
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
It's their fault we're separating them?
Exactly like it was the fault of those dirty jews on the St Louis trying to seek refuge here. We can't have illegal immigrants like that, good thing they wound up in the gas chambers.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 04:16 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"legit asylum" begs the question.
Yep remember sending the jews back to germany was a high point in america after all. Pretending they were "legit asylum" there is no such thing because they have to be an illegal immigrant first after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 04:29 AM   #86
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So let me see, the Republican defences of this policy so far are:
  • It's a law put in place by the Democrats and they are powerless to do things any differently
  • It can only be repealed by an act of Congress and the Democrats are blocking any such move
  • It's the parents' fault, not the administration's
  • They are morally obliged to do things this way because the Bible says so
  • The camps are fine because, even though the children are being put in cages, they're not literally being treated like animals, so the word "cages" shouldn't be used
  • The camps are fine because any children seeming upset are just actors who have been coached and given scripts by Democrats
  • The camps are fine because it's just like being at summer camp
  • There actually is no policy that separates children from their parents

Did I miss any?
Old 19th June 2018, 04:31 AM   #87
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You forgot:
  • they are all MS-13 animals, so where else but in cages are you supposed to keep them?
Old 19th June 2018, 04:35 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
  • It's a law put in place by the Democrats and they are powerless to do things any differently
  • It can only be repealed by an act of Congress and the Democrats are blocking any such move
  • The camps are fine because, even though the children are being put in cages, they're not literally being treated like animals, so the word "cages" shouldn't be used
  • The camps are fine because any children seeming upset are just actors who have been coached and given scripts by Democrats

Did I miss any?
The bible tells us to do this.
Old 19th June 2018, 04:41 AM   #89
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Did I miss any?
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You forgot:
  • they are all MS-13 animals, so where else but in cages are you supposed to keep them?
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

The logger reason: Ha ha because it upsets lol libruls.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 06:26 AM   #90
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
How is this even slightly surprising ?

The Trump Administration has worked hard to portray all Hispanics as dangerous gang-members and drug dealers and so those who are coming across the border (allegedly) illegally must be the most dangerous people in the world. This is necessary to protect the US because the DEMS have refused to allow Donald Trump to build his Mexico-funded wall.......
It wasn't really much in the way of "hard work" - equating nonwhite people with crime and violence is pretty standard US white supremacism. Dolt 45 is roughly the same as electing George Zimmerman - same violent racism, same imagined grievances, same habit of abusing women. And naturally, he surrounded himself with other white suprematists like Sessions, Miller, and Bannon.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:08 AM   #91
Giz
Philosopher

The U.N. official Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein?

The guy who supports a global blasphemy law?
(“global blasphemy ban under human rights law, in the Human Rights Council (known as the U.N. Commission on Human Rights until 2006) and the General Assembly. During both of Ambassador Zeid’s periods as Jordan’s ambassador to the U.N., Jordan voted in favor of these resolutions when they were introduced at the General Assembly. “
http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/26/...bassador-zeid/)

And is from Jordan? Who consider Palestinians born inside Jordan to be merely temporary residents?

And works at the U.N.? (Can’t even begin to list their humanitarian issues).

Yeah, count me as unimpressed by his interjection.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:12 AM   #92
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post

(“global blasphemy ban under human rights law, in the Human Rights Council (known as the U.N. Commission on Human Rights until 2006) and the General Assembly. During both of Ambassador Zeid’s periods as Jordan’s ambassador to the U.N., Jordan voted in favor of these resolutions when they were introduced at the General Assembly. “

And is from Jordan? Who consider Palestinians born inside Jordan to be merely temporary residents?

Perfect ad hominem.

Who would you be impressed by if he or she said rightfully that what the Trump administration is doing on the southern border is abuse?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:16 AM   #93
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Got any actual comment of if this policy is child abuse, I am sure it will be easy to make a same list about the Colleen Kraft head of the american society of pediatrics.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:17 AM   #94
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Got any actual comment of if this policy is child abuse, I am sure it will be easy to make a same list about the Colleen Kraft head of the american society of pediatrics.
Edited by jsfisher:  ...SNIP... Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by jsfisher; 25th June 2018 at 05:27 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:19 AM   #95
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgAatHsWsAA4FkP.jpg

What do people think of Ted Cruz's outlined bill proposal above? How do you feel it compares to the Feinstein bill being proposed?
On the surface, it seems reasonable. I'm not sure whether the fourteen day provision is a good one. It might require more time to evaluate a case fairly.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:26 AM   #96
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
A couple of concerns spring immediately to mind:

Those judges will be appointed by the Trump Administration. The idea that they will be in any way impartial is laughable. It's authoritarianism 101, establish a series of kangaroo courts to apply your will while attempting to maintain a veneer of propriety.

Putting an arbitrary deadline on the processing of asylum claims will almost certainly result in decisions being rushed, particularly in the most critical of cases. Given that half of the judges will be recently appointed Trump Administration lackeys, it's removing the option of asylum altogether.
Most of your issues are not the point that is being pushed back against. Child separation due to current policy is what people want changed. This addresses that point.

I will concede that the 14 day deadline has to be changed to allow exceptions for cases that require it. Possibly extended to something reasonably quick but not overwhelming to the system.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
On the surface, it seems reasonable. I'm not sure whether the fourteen day provision is a good one. It might require more time to evaluate a case fairly.
Yea, I feel the same.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:27 AM   #97
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Who cares about that? It isn't like we grant asylum for anything anymore. We happily send people back to their deaths like they are jews on the MS St Louis.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:33 AM   #98
rdwight
Critical Thinker

[list][*]It's a law put in place by the Democrats and they are powerless to do things any differently[*]It can only be repealed by an act of Congress and the Democrats are blocking any such move
I feel the system really needs a wake up call in regards to law passage and the specifics of what is written. I am tired of laws being written and then having the worst of their intent given discretion to be enforced by whatever administration currently resides in power. Congress does need to do their job, not concede points they don't believe will be enforced and let bad laws sit on the books until someone decides to start using them.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:41 AM   #99
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I feel the system really needs a wake up call in regards to law passage and the specifics of what is written. I am tired of laws being written and then having the worst of their intent given discretion to be enforced by whatever administration currently resides in power. Congress does need to do their job, not concede points they don't believe will be enforced and let bad laws sit on the books until someone decides to start using them.
Sure, but this is still the Trump administration's fault for electing to use cruel laws. Let's never ever forget that.

Old 19th June 2018, 07:41 AM   #100
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

I am also frustrated with the history of half-solutions in regards to the illegal immigration problem over the last few decades, but being deliberately cruel to highlight the dysfunction of the process is still amoral. I don't buy that excuse anyway. Trump is being cruel to immigrants because his base wants cruelty to immigrants.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:43 AM   #101
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
It's their fault we're separating them?
Yes.
Who tried to bring them into the country illegally?
I am not saying it is right policy.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:43 AM   #102
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Yes.
No, you're just defending it.

Old 19th June 2018, 07:44 AM   #103
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yes.
Yep like those illegal immigrants we sent to nazi gas chambers, if only they could have been bothered to go a legal route Ann Frank might still be alive!

But she got what criminals like her have coming!
Old 19th June 2018, 07:44 AM   #104
eeyore1954
Philosopher

That was a ridiculous comment but I suspect it was taken out of context.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:45 AM   #105
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And yet the daughter of a minister said it and the attorney general.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:47 AM   #106
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yes.
That is absolutely mind-numbingly ridiculous. How long have people entered this country, even illegally, and we didn't separate children from their families?

This is not a matter of law or breaking it. This is a matter of policy, bad policy, and those who will defend it.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:48 AM   #107
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
It is not someone else's fault for the actions you choose to take.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:49 AM   #108
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Yep like those illegal immigrants we sent to nazi gas chambers, if only they could have been bothered to go a legal route Ann Frank might still be alive!

But she got what criminals like her have coming!
Am I wrong or do families that come to the border to seek asylum not get separated but those got caught coming across the border do?
Old 19th June 2018, 07:50 AM   #109
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Am I wrong or do families that come to the border to seek asylum not get separated but those got caught coming across the border do?
You are wrong. Asylum seekers are separated.

And that makes it worse, but it was pretty *********** bad to begin with.

Old 19th June 2018, 07:50 AM   #110
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Nice example of Limbaugh Logic, but I think I'll count you as lacking your own moral compass.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:51 AM   #111
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You are wrong. Sessions recently closed down on asylum seekers.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:52 AM   #112
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
That is absolutely mind-numbingly ridiculous. How long have people entered this country, even illegally, and we didn't separate children from their families?

This is not a matter of law or breaking it. This is a matter of policy, bad policy, and those who will defend it.
What have we done in the past? What should happen to someone who comes across the border illegally?
Old 19th June 2018, 07:54 AM   #113
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What have we done in the past? What should happen to someone who comes across the border illegally?
They should be allowed to keep the family together, and if it is decided that they are to be deported, they should be deported as a family.

It's not rocket science. All that's needed is a teensy bit of empathy, which is why it seems like rocket science to conservatives.

Old 19th June 2018, 07:54 AM   #114
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The funny disconnect I've noticed is that posters here seem to be going the route of protesting that there's nothing wrong with this policy and how it's being enacted. The Republicans in power, however, are mostly going the route of saying that they have no choice and it's down to the Democrats that these children are being separated from their parents. This implies to me that the Republicans in power actually know that what they're doing is wrong*. If they truly thought it was laudable in the way that posters here are suggesting, you'd expect them to be proudly owning the policy as their own. But even Donald "execute drug dealers"/"take away their guns without due process"/"Mexicans are rapists" Trump has enough self-awareness to want to distance himself from it.

*Or, at least, that it's considered wrong by a majority of voters
Old 19th June 2018, 07:55 AM   #115
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You are wrong. Sessions recently closed down on asylum seekers.
Did that article prove that people that come to the border and try to seek asylum are separated from their families. At a glance I did not see it. i did read that domestic abuse is not a valid excuse to seek asylum unless certain things can be shown.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:56 AM   #116
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Sure, but this is still the Trump administration's fault for electing to use cruel laws. Let's never ever forget that.
Definitely. There is no passing the buck on who is enforcing bad policy.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I am also frustrated with the history of half-solutions in regards to the illegal immigration problem over the last few decades, but being deliberately cruel to highlight the dysfunction of the process is still amoral. I don't buy that excuse anyway. Trump is being cruel to immigrants because his base wants cruelty to immigrants.
I also agree it is not to highlight bad policy, but you know what? It really should be *********** highlighted already. It is the beyond ridiculous that this happens time and time again where laws enforced as written are inhumane but no effort is made to have them changed until that enforcement is actually highlighted/started.

I will not make this into a blame Obama/Democrats when they had power thread and I don't want to change subjects but these things need to be fixed first in the creation of the law, and then if not by administrations that choose not to enforce them knowing it is bad policy.

Congress represents us. If enough are not willing to change laws of this nature, let alone write them specifically like this in the first place, then Americans are **** people. I know a lot are anyhow. But hopefully not enough for so much bad policy to be kept just to appease them.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:57 AM   #117
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Did that article prove that people that come to the border and try to seek asylum are separated from their families. At a glance I did not see it. i did read that domestic abuse is not a valid excuse to seek asylum unless certain things can be shown.
Oh come off it!

Read the *********** newspapers if you don't believe us. It's not like we need to spoon feed you information. If you think this is a good policy to follow, just have the moral fortitude to come out and say so instead of weaseling around it.

Old 19th June 2018, 07:58 AM   #118
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/a...church-leaders

Quote:
Let me take an aside to discuss concerns raised by our church friends about separating families. Many of the criticisms raised in recent days are not fair or logical and some are contrary to law.

First- illegal entry into the United States is a crime—as it should be. Persons who violate the law of our nation are subject to prosecution. I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order.

Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful.

Our policies that can result in short term separation of families is not unusual or unjustified. American citizens that are jailed do not take their children to jail with them. And non-citizens who cross our borders unlawfully —between our ports of entry—with children are not an exception.

They are the ones who broke the law, they are the ones who endangered their own children on their trek. The United States on the other hand, goes to extraordinary lengths to protect them while the parents go through a short detention period.

Please note, Church friends, that if the adults go to one of our many ports of entry to claim asylum, they are not prosecuted and the family stays intact pending the legal process.

The problem is that it became well known that adults with children were not being prosecuted for unlawful entry and the numbers surged from 15,000 in 2013 to 75,000 four years later. That policy was a declaration of open borders for family units.

Importantly, children are far more at risk attempting entry in remote areas.

I have given the idea of immigration much thought and have considered the arguments of our Church leaders. I do not believe scripture or church history or reason condemns a secular nation state for having reasonable immigration laws. If we have them, then they should be enforced. A mere desire to benefit from entry to the nation does not justify illegal entry. And, there are of course adverse consequences to illegal actions.

Once again, let me state that this nation has perhaps the most generous laws in the world.

My request to these religious leaders who have criticized the carrying out of our laws to also speak up strongly to urge anyone who would come here to apply lawfully, to wait their turn, and not violate the law.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:59 AM   #119
xjx388
Philosopher

Could congress fix this by drafting legislation that specifically forbids the separation of families? Like a line inserted into the law that makes border crossing a crime? If so, I'd like to see the Democrats draft such a bill in response to Trump's BS buck-passing to them.

There is absolutely no reason to separate families. It serves no just purpose. I do agree that the previous system of letting them in the country to wait for legal proceedings is flawed but this policy is exponentially worse. Detain the family together . . . what is so hard about that?
Old 19th June 2018, 08:02 AM   #120
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Could congress fix this by drafting legislation that specifically forbids the separation of families? Like a line inserted into the law that makes border crossing a crime? If so, I'd like to see the Democrats draft such a bill in response to Trump's BS buck-passing to them.
Why should the Democrats be his water carriers ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics