ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 14th July 2018, 08:45 PM   #241
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,237
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Suffering is not a function of income, once your basic needs have been met.
My friend's basic needs included trading in wives after 5-7 years. The rest was food, rent and tickets to concerts/sporting events etc. to prove he lived an enviable life.

There was the element of self-punishment. I don't know if that applies to Trump because I don't know how it feels to be so transparently desperate for attention.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:42 AM   #242
Leftus
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He won because of two things, Russian help we are hearing more and more about, and the ability to convince people he's the magic man. His narcissism has a lot to do with how skilled of a conman he is.
Probably should have been a bit more strict on who was allowed to vote? Perhaps some requirement for ID?

Quote:
Not even close.
Yeah, not sure where I got the idea that you fit everything into your preconceived notions and complete denial that you could possibly be wrong. It can't be anything else, can it? His election is proof of a mental disorder? He can't be a conman without being mentally ill?

Does the converse work as well? All mentally ill people are conmen? Or does this only work when it fits your narrative?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:12 AM   #243
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,000
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
... Were he really suffering from this mental disorder, he wouldn't have ran as a populist. Can't be a populist and a narcissist as well.

Trump is not a populist; he's a pseudo-populist demagogue who wants to be a dictator, and throughout history such scumbags have always been narcissists. Anyway, the real danger with Trump is that his malignant NPD behavior is "comorbid" with paranoid delusions, and I notice that Trumpers don't like to talk about that.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:24 AM   #244
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No one made this straw argument.


Lol you just did in the post I quoted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:35 AM   #245
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 11,396
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
So I guess your response begs an obvious question: why did you want a **** show?
That doesn't seem like the obvious question. Or, well, the answer seems pretty obvious from what he wrote: that **** show was better than the alternative.

I'm not saying I agree, but that seems like a pretty obvious reading of his post.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:37 AM   #246
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Probably should have been a bit more strict on who was allowed to vote? Perhaps some requirement for ID?

Yeah, not sure where I got the idea that you fit everything into your preconceived notions and complete denial that you could possibly be wrong. It can't be anything else, can it? His election is proof of a mental disorder? He can't be a conman without being mentally ill?

Does the converse work as well? All mentally ill people are conmen? Or does this only work when it fits your narrative?
There's nothing here but straw and nonsense.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:39 AM   #247
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Lol you just did in the post I quoted.
If you post a quote maybe I can help you understand the actual arguments.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 09:33 AM   #248
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's a fallacy that because Trump is rich and he won the Presidency that he can't be suffering from a mental disorder.

I have posted a number of examples in the thread where Trump's actions only make sense in light of pathologic self absorption.
It's also a fallacy to say that Trump's actions can ONLY be explained by a "pathologic self absorption."
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No one made this straw argument.
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Lol you just did in the post I quoted.
I'm not seeing that.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 09:44 AM   #249
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That doesn't seem like the obvious question. Or, well, the answer seems pretty obvious from what he wrote: that **** show was better than the alternative.

I'm not saying I agree, but that seems like a pretty obvious reading of his post.
I hope that's not it, because to prefer someone who says things like "much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people" over a conventional politician like Clinton is very very stupid.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 10:32 AM   #250
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Listen to you. Spouting off like you have significant expertise: "the gold-standard since the inception of the profession".
Yup, I’m a pretty smart guy!



Quote:
He won because of two things, Russian help we are hearing more and more about, and the ability to convince people he's the magic man. His narcissism has a lot to do with how skilled of a conman he is.
And a lot to do with the success of most politicians and businesspeople...









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 10:38 AM   #251
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Happy to oblige, SG

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I have posted a number of examples in the thread where Trump's actions only make sense in light of pathologic self absorption.

They “make sense” in other “lights,” not “only . . .pathological self absorption.”




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 11:25 AM   #252
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Happy to oblige, SG

They “make sense” in other “lights,” not “only . . .pathological self absorption.”
I have posted a number of examples in the thread where Trump's actions only make sense in light of pathologic self absorption.

The highlighted part is the part you missed. Do you need me to elaborate on how the examples I posted don't mean all of Trump's actions ever?

Those actions were very specific such as his obsession with the crowd size at his inauguration and his inability to address Russian interference in the election because to him it would mean his 'win' wasn't valid.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 11:55 AM   #253
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
So I guess your response begs an obvious question: why did you want a **** show?
You're begging the question that I want a **** show.

Even when you seem to be trying to talk to me about what I think, you still talk like you already know. You have a stereotype in mind, and you just can't resist trying to force me into it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 12:01 PM   #254
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Pretty *********** disgusting and a contemptible attitude to take.
I feel you were going to feel disgusted and contemptuous no matter what I did. So your expressions of contempt and disgust do nothing to make me reconsider my positions. Do you have any other conversational strategies you want to try?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 12:04 PM   #255
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
And they're absolutely right.
You know this how?

Actually, do you even know how the 25th Amendment works? The Yale group obviously doesn't. Trump could counter their clever stratagem with a simple tweet.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 12:42 PM   #256
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I have posted a number of examples in the thread where Trump's actions only make sense in light of pathologic self absorption.



The highlighted part is the part you missed. Do you need me to elaborate on how the examples I posted don't mean all of Trump's actions ever?



Those actions were very specific such as his obsession with the crowd size at his inauguration and his inability to address Russian interference in the election because to him it would mean his 'win' wasn't valid.

Those particular actions are not “only “ explainable by pathological self-absorption. Garden variety self-absorption will do. So will other non-pathology explanations.

What is labeling his actions pathological contributing to the discussion? The only thing to be gained from that is that you (generally, but the OP Psychs in particular) think it provides a basis to have him removed under the 25th amendment because his pathology makes him dangerous. But, as we have seen, it does not. So what else?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 12:57 PM   #257
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're begging the question that I want a **** show.

Even when you seem to be trying to talk to me about what I think, you still talk like you already know. You have a stereotype in mind, and you just can't resist trying to force me into it.
I'm totally confused. You voted for Trump expecting a **** show. You got your **** show. You admit you don't regret your vote.

So why did you vote for a guy you knew would be a **** show?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 01:15 PM   #258
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Those particular actions are not “only “ explainable by pathological self-absorption. Garden variety self-absorption will do. So will other non-pathology explanations.
Nope. The nature of something like Trump's obsession over inaugural crowd attendance was pathologic in nature.

The fact you can't tell the difference between a pathologically self-absorbed obsession and garden variety self-absorption illustrates the problem. You don't seem to recognize there is a difference.

What is it you think a psychiatrist is doing when they look at the NPD criteria in the DSM to determine when someone has a disorder and when someone is simply on the extreme end of non-pathologic narcissism? You seem to think there is no way to determine pathology from non-pathology.

Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean someone educated and experienced in personality disorders can't.


Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
What is labeling his actions pathological contributing to the discussion? The only thing to be gained from that is that you (generally, but the OP Psychs in particular) think it provides a basis to have him removed under the 25th amendment because his pathology makes him dangerous. But, as we have seen, it does not. So what else?
I've addressed this. A year ago the news media was still discussing Trump becoming presidential. I said it wasn't going to happen because he was incapable. And, it turned out he was incapable.

The sooner people recognize it's pathology and Trump cannot override it, the sooner they will quit expecting him to act differently.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th July 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:16 PM   #259
Leftus
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Trump is not a populist; he's a pseudo-populist demagogue who wants to be a dictator, and throughout history such scumbags have always been narcissists. Anyway, the real danger with Trump is that his malignant NPD behavior is "comorbid" with paranoid delusions, and I notice that Trumpers don't like to talk about that.
I'm not a Trumper, never been a fan. I'm not a fan of people diagnosing mental conditions that also, somehow, coincide with their own personal beliefs. He is different and must be burnt at the stake after all.

When you say he wants to be a dictator, I've not seen it. I've seen someone who has been in the private sector trying to fit that experience into the public sector. He has not tried to abolish the Congress nor the Supreme court. He has not exceeded his authority any more than any of those who came before. Did Obama try to become a dictator when he tried to create laws with "a pen and a phone?"

It's the assume the worst nonsense that is tiresome.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:20 PM   #260
Leftus
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The fact you can't tell the difference between a pathologically self-absorbed obsession and garden variety self-absorption illustrates the problem. You don't seem to recognize there is a difference.
It's only there because you want it to be there. Maybe you even need it to be there. The chance it's not there? Inconceivable.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:29 PM   #261
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,861
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It's only there because you want it to be there. Maybe you even need it to be there. The chance it's not there? Inconceivable.
Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to think Trump's narcissism goes way beyond "garden variety self-absorption"?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:42 PM   #262
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It's only there because you want it to be there. Maybe you even need it to be there. The chance it's not there? Inconceivable.
So only Republicans or pro-Trumpers can draw conclusions about Trump's behavior?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:45 PM   #263
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 11,396
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I hope that's not it, because to prefer someone who says things like "much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people" over a conventional politician like Clinton is very very stupid.
That's a judgement that you are making based on the totality of what you know about both of those people and your own views about various issues, and how those things interact. If your views were different, or the facts of those people were different, you might make a different judgement, even knowing that it would lead to a **** show.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:45 PM   #264
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,137
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So only Republicans or pro-Trumpers can draw conclusions about Trump's behavior?
If there is one thing I have learned from this thread it' that medical professionals are not allowed to. People who can search Wikipedia told me so.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:52 PM   #265
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If there is one thing I have learned from this thread it' that medical professionals are not allowed to. People who can search Wikipedia told me so.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:20 PM   #266
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That's a judgement that you are making based on the totality of what you know about both of those people and your own views about various issues, and how those things interact. If your views were different, or the facts of those people were different, you might make a different judgement, even knowing that it would lead to a **** show.
The facts can't be different. They are the set of beliefs that are true. The facts we know form the basis of the conclusion that preferring Trump over Clinton, knowing his presidency will be a **** show, is as dumb as believing in the Christian Hell or YEC. It's one thing to have voted for Trump out of desperation in denial about what kind of person he reality is- it's quite another to have known what he was all about, and still preferred him over a person like Clinton. There's no excusing that level of idiocy. Oh, and sticking by your vote, knowing everything that has happened so far. I can't fathom the kind of reality denial that would take.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 15th July 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:23 PM   #267
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I'm totally confused.
The concept of the lesser of two evils shouldn't be that confusing.

Quote:
You voted for Trump expecting a **** show. You got your **** show. You admit you don't regret your vote.

So why did you vote for a guy you knew would be a **** show?
1. I consider politics to be a **** show regardless.

2. I didn't want another professional, establishment politician.

3. I had faith that the American institutions of government would survive four years of amateur hour.

4. Supreme Court picks.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:24 PM   #268
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So only Republicans or pro-Trumpers can draw conclusions about Trump's behavior?
Anyone can draw their own conclusions, just as we all did before the Yale group came along. People who wear their white coats to give their opinions a veneer of credibility is where I roll my eyes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:28 PM   #269
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The concept of the lesser of two evils shouldn't be that confusing.



1. I consider politics to be a **** show regardless.

2. I didn't want another professional, establishment politician.

3. I had faith that the American institutions of government would survive four years of amateur hour.

4. Supreme Court picks.
You would gamble with putting a person into power you know is unfit to be president, like Trump, for some SOCTUS picks and to stick to the "establishment"? Really? This is why I'll always regard Trumpkins as deplorables. That kind of thinking is simply deplorable.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:36 PM   #270
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The facts can't be different. They are the set of beliefs that are true. The facts we know form the basis of the conclusion that preferring Trump over Clinton, knowing his presidency will be a **** show, is as dumb as believing in the Christian Hell or YEC. It's one thing to have voted for Trump out of desperation in denial about what kind of person he reality is- it's quite another to have known what he was all about, and still preferred him over a person like Clinton. There's no excusing that level of idiocy. Oh, and sticking by your vote, knowing everything that has happened so far. I can't fathom the kind of reality denial that would take.
Facts = the set of beliefs we know are true? That’s a very weird definition of facts. Christians have a set of beliefs they know are true, for instance. In politics, facts often take a backseat to ideology.

It could be argued that Clinton would have been a bigger **** show than Trump -from a certain point of view. Her and the Dems having the ability to choose two (maybe three) SCOTUS justices for example. That might be worth risking an otherwise **** show presidency.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:42 PM   #271
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,072
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
......

2. I didn't want another professional, establishment politician.
......

You're probably smart enough not to get cut open by an amateur surgeon, or have your teeth fixed by an amateur dentist, or get into an airliner flown by an amateur pilot. You probably wouldn't want an amateur police officer investigating the murder of a loved one. But you think it's okay to turn over the government of a nation of 320 million people to a grossly unfit amateur? Why? Government is a profession. People spend their lives learning to do it well, or at least competently. Thinking like yours has landed us where we are.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:45 PM   #272
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Facts = the set of beliefs we know are true?
That is not what I said.

Quote:
That’s a very weird definition of facts. Christians have a set of beliefs they know are true, for instance. In politics, facts often take a backseat to ideology.
You inserted a crucial word that I didn't use: know.

Quote:
It could be argued that Clinton would have been a bigger **** show than Trump -from a certain point of view.
That point of view is deranged.

Quote:
Her and the Dems having the ability to choose two (maybe three) SCOTUS justices for example. That might be worth risking an otherwise **** show presidency.
No, it wouldn't. Voting for a racist, misogynist, narcissistic moron as leader of the free world isn't excused by ANY fears one may have had about Clinton.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:58 PM   #273
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
You would gamble with putting a person into power you know is unfit to be president, like Trump, for some SOCTUS picks and to stick to the "establishment"? Really? This is why I'll always regard Trumpkins as deplorables. That kind of thinking is simply deplorable.
There's a lot more to it than that, but this isn't the thread to get into it. However, it does illustrate a couple points. One being that you find it very difficult to actually have a conversation with a conservative. We can't even go two exchanges without you struggling with knee-jerk stereotypes and outright name-calling. As a champion of the establishment, you give me very little reason to coddle its ambition.

Also, I think they're all, by and large, unfit to be president. My choices were a professionally political, venal and corrupt progressive; versus an amateur, venal and corrupt opportunist.

Last edited by theprestige; 15th July 2018 at 07:04 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:17 PM   #274
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster
 
Slings and Arrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Voting for a racist, misogynist, narcissistic moron as leader of the free world isn't excused by ANY fears one may have had about Clinton.

You forgot to mention homophobe, xenophobe, and Islamophobe. And in some instances (Maxine Waters for example), he's even a vaginaphobe.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:21 PM   #275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,416
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Anyone can draw their own conclusions, just as we all did before the Yale group came along. People who wear their white coats to give their opinions a veneer of credibility is where I roll my eyes.
Given the complaint was addressed to my politics, do you have evidence the psychiatrists raising the alarm are partisan?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:30 PM   #276
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,000
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I'm not a Trumper, never been a fan. I'm not a fan of people diagnosing mental conditions that also, somehow, coincide with their own personal beliefs.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you think Democrats should also ignore Trump's obvious mental health issues.

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
He is different and must be burnt at the stake after all.

At this point I'd settle for him returning to the set of his original TV show so I wouldn't have to watch any more of this new one, but if he turns out to be one of the witches Mueller is hunting....

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
When you say he wants to be a dictator, I've not seen it. I've seen someone who has been in the private sector trying to fit that experience into the public sector. He has not tried to abolish the Congress nor the Supreme court. He has not exceeded his authority any more than any of those who came before. Did Obama try to become a dictator when he tried to create laws with "a pen and a phone?"

No offense, but if you think Trump is a garden variety narcissist, it would appear that you have not seen a lot that some of us have. However, I can help you with this one: Everything President Trump Has Said That Sounds Like He Longs to be a Dictator (No, Really)

In the case of Donald Trump, it might be more accurate to say that he wants to be the producer, director, script writer, and star of the Trump Show where he plays a dictator. I haven't seen much interest in actually running a government.

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It's the assume the worst nonsense that is tiresome.

Well, I find the attempts to normalize Trump's behavior to be tiresome.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 07:33 PM   #277
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given the complaint was addressed to my politics, do you have evidence the psychiatrists raising the alarm are partisan?
Other evidence besides them breaking with the ethical standards of their profession, you mean? What would you accept as evidence?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 08:16 PM   #278
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
That is not what I said. You inserted a crucial word that I didn't use: know.
Yes, I apologize. But what you did say was equivalent to my paraphrase. You said “set of beliefs that are true.” Still a weird definition of facts. “Beliefs,” is the problem word. Facts are not beliefs. God is a belief; death is a fact.

Quote:
That point of view is deranged.
That’s a belief too.

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. Voting for a racist, misogynist, narcissistic moron as leader of the free world isn't excused by ANY fears one may have had about Clinton.
This too.

This whole thread is an attempt to turn beliefs into facts -to turn run of the mill criticism of Trump into hard facts using medical authority.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 09:11 PM   #279
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Yes, I apologize. But what you did say was equivalent to my paraphrase. You said “set of beliefs that are true.” Still a weird definition of facts. “Beliefs,” is the problem word. Facts are not beliefs. God is a belief; death is a fact.

That’s a belief too.

This too.

This whole thread is an attempt to turn beliefs into facts -to turn run of the mill criticism of Trump into hard facts using medical authority.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course those are beliefs of mine. It's a tautology that to know a fact, one must believe the fact to be true. My beliefs happen to be true. The GOP has devolved into a creepy cult of personality.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 07:32 AM   #280
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Of course those are beliefs of mine. It's a tautology that to know a fact, one must believe the fact to be true. My beliefs happen to be true. The GOP has devolved into a creepy cult of personality.
A fact is something that is true regardless of what you believe. "My beliefs happen to be true," is something you hear from woo peddlers of all stripes. Fundamentally, that's what we have here -something that some believe is true (Trump is dangerously mentally ill) and an attempt to use the statements of the Yale group to turn that belief into a fact.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.