ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Scott Pruitt , Trump appointees , Trump controversies

Old 6th July 2018, 02:32 PM   #1
davefoc
Philosopher

Why isn't there a Scott Pruitt resigned thread?

Didn't anybody notice?

Did he resign in the sense that he made the decision on his own?

Did Fox News play a key role in his removal if he was forced out?

Seth Mayers says he was forced out because he broke Trump's strict 58 strikes and you're out policy. Is there a too many strikes policy for cabinet members that keep their head down and that suck up to Trump sufficiently?

Part of Pruitt's resignation letter:

"...I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence. I believe that same providence brought me into your service. I pray as I have served you that I have blessed you and enabled you to effectively lead the American people. ..."

Did Pruitt think it was God that told him to use the siren so he could get to his party faster?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 6th July 2018 at 02:34 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 02:44 PM   #2
davefoc
Philosopher

What exactly was Pruitt thinking?

His penny ante corruption seems stupid on a risk/reward basis. As a reasonably corrupt individual he was well placed to make a friggin fortune as a fossil fuel lobbyist. He had some reasonable shots at a political career. All of that seems gone now because he couldn't constrain his greed for a few years to set up those kind of careers.

Oh well, at least he got the lead back in shotgun shells so we can start killing the condors again with lead poisoning. Although I guess there's some chance the whacko liberals in California are going to keep the lead out of the shot gun shells used in CA, anyway, but he tried.

Last edited by davefoc; 6th July 2018 at 02:48 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 02:47 PM   #3
davefoc
Philosopher

delete

Old 6th July 2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's kind of toxic now. Republicans were getting tired of him. His post EPA administrator career prospects look pretty bleak.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 03:45 PM   #5
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
His penny ante corruption seems stupid on a risk/reward basis. As a reasonably corrupt individual he was well placed to make a friggin fortune as a fossil fuel lobbyist.
Agree that it's worth a thread, but I can kind of see why no one made one. His resignation had seemed like a forgone conclusion for quite a while, and surfaced in "Trump Presidency" part 3 million or wherever we are.

As far as "reasonably" corrupt: I'm no expert but Pruitt seemed almost mentally ill with his paranoia level etc. His attempts to game the system - getting his wife a Chick-Fil-A franchise, for example - seemed extremely clumsy to me, both grandiose and impractical. (She probably would have done better just working a job, any job). I came to think of him as in over his head, and a little bit nuts, to use a non-clinical term. Had he been reasonably corrupt, he probably would have done fine.

Last edited by Minoosh; 6th July 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 04:12 PM   #6
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Had he been reasonably corrupt, he probably would have done fine.
Trumpists aren't reasonable about anything.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Agree that it's worth a thread, but I can kind of see why no one made one. His resignation had seemed like a forgone conclusion for quite a while, and surfaced in "Trump Presidency" part 3 million or wherever we are.
It thought it might be imminent after Laura Ingraham started blasting him. That must have confused Trump a bit: What? Somebody not named Shepard Smith giving me crap on Fox News?
Quote:

As far as "reasonably" corrupt: I'm no expert but Pruitt seemed almost mentally ill with his paranoia level etc. His attempts to game the system - getting his wife a Chick-Fil-A franchise, for example - seemed extremely clumsy to me, both grandiose and impractical. (She probably would have done better just working a job, any job). I came to think of him as in over his head, and a little bit nuts, to use a non-clinical term. Had he been reasonably corrupt, he probably would have done fine.
So too nuts to be head of the EPA, but maybe if he'd been a bit more nuts he could have a shot at being president.

Old 6th July 2018, 04:21 PM   #8
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He should have been fired long ago. Pruitt is just another example of the kind of person Trump employs and praises. He's on track to having the most corrupt administration in USA history.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here's his resume, as extracted from his Wikipedia page:
Born middle-class in 1968.
Graduated law school 1993, age 25, probably with substantial student loan debt.
Started a law practice upon graduation focusing on defending Christians in religious liberty cases. Doesn't sound particularly lucrative.
Career politician ever since in the Oklahoma legislature and as OK AG.

In short: Unlike many Trump appointees, probably not particularly wealthy and looking to cash in.

ETA:
Quote:
...Vanity Fair lumped him in with a handful of Trump's "poor" nominees, estimating that he has "barely $1 million in investible assets; $5 million at best."
Source. That's poverty level in Trumpland.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 6th July 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 04:27 PM   #10
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He's kind of toxic now. Republicans were getting tired of him. His post EPA administrator career prospects look pretty bleak.

We will probably never know how this went down, but it seems likely that the Republican leadership told Trump this was moving quickly to a situation that was going to be difficult for Republicans and that Pruitt had to go. Democrats would probably have liked to have him hang on until closer to the mid term elections.

Is there any real possibility that this was Pruitt's decision? Maybe they let him think it was his decision? Maybe Pruitt looked at all the upcoming investigations and thought getting out of Dodge was a pretty good idea?

Old 6th July 2018, 04:28 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Trumpists aren't reasonable about anything.
Try me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 04:31 PM   #12
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In short: Unlike many Trump appointees, probably not particularly wealthy and looking to cash in.

maybe I was too quick to discount the idea that corruption and not craziness was his main driver. Still, has the guy got no ability to hold back a little in return for much more lucrative future grifting?

Last edited by davefoc; 6th July 2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 04:35 PM   #13
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Try me.

Scott Pruitt?

Old 6th July 2018, 04:38 PM   #14
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We will probably never know how this went down, but it seems likely that the Republican leadership told Trump this was moving quickly to a situation that was going to be difficult for Republicans and that Pruitt had to go. Democrats would probably have liked to have him hang on until closer to the mid term elections.

Is there any real possibility that this was Pruitt's decision? Maybe they let him think it was his decision? Maybe Pruitt looked at all the upcoming investigations and thought getting out of Dodge was a pretty good idea?
It was probably only a matter of time before one of the ethics investigations turned into a criminal investigation.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 05:10 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

maybe I was too quick to discount the idea that corruption and not craziness was his main driver. Still, has the guy got no ability to hold back a little in return for much more lucrative future grifting?
False dichotomy! Remember, he began his law career by defending insane fundies, then move on to some pretty shady stuff in OK as noted in the Wiki article. Surrounded by actual rich guys, he just had to keep up.
Old 6th July 2018, 06:18 PM   #16
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
... then move on to some pretty shady stuff in OK as noted in the Wiki article. ...

Ah yes, the shady stuff. Apparently, he was already an experienced grifter before he got the job so he really didn't see any reason to discontinue that when he got the job because he had gotten away with it before.

Old 6th July 2018, 06:41 PM   #17
NoahFence
Banned

is that bit about lead back in shotgun shells true?

man. I guess it's only a matter of time until DDT is used again...
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 08:44 PM   #18
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

Yes and no. It was the interior department under Zinke that repealed the ban not Pruitt.

Old 6th July 2018, 09:51 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Zinke, simply by being a tad more subtle than Pruitt, is the more dangerous of the two.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:10 PM   #20
davefoc
Philosopher

We will probably never know how this went down, but it seems likely that the Republican leadership told Trump this was moving quickly to a situation that was going to be difficult for Republicans and that Pruitt had to go. ...

Maybe we will:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Quote:
(Bloomberg) -- Scott Pruitt resigned as EPA chief Thursday after White House Chief of Staff John Kelly delivered a message from the president that it was time for the scandal-plagued administrator to leave, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Pruitt didn’t want to leave his post and was described as being devastated that he had to resign, said the people, who asked not to be named discussing a personnel matter.
President Donald Trump wanted Pruitt to leave, after revelations that the administrator’s public schedule had been altered to shield some meetings from public view, they said. Doctored schedules -- which could be a criminal violation of the Federal Records Act -- were effectively the final straw after a tenure marred by alleged ethical missteps. The administration knew that more damaging reports would emerge soon, one of the people said.
But maybe this story is a lie and Trump told the truth when he said it was Pruitt's decision. “It was very much up to him,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One. “We’ve been talking about it for a little while.”

What does theprestige thnk? Trump lied and he forced Pruitt out as Bloomberg reported or Trump told the truth and Pruitt left under his own steam?

This whole thing should be a safe topic for theprestige. Fox News has actually been pretty tough on Pruitt for awhile, so its not like supporting Pruitt is essential dogma for Trumpers.

Last edited by davefoc; 6th July 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:52 PM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It was probably only a matter of time before one of the ethics investigations turned into a criminal investigation.
Yeah, this came right on the heels of one of his top aides spilling the beans on the duplicate bookkeeping tricks the EPA was doing on their calendars/agendas.

Scottie would be having dinner as Daddy Warbucks' guest but his schedule would say nothing of it or put in something that's actually part of his job remit, like "18:35 to 20:25 - poisoning pigeons in the park".

Since Donnie's team made such a thing of not wanting to share the phone and visitor logs up at the big house, I don't think he wanted hearings going on where that particular topic was front and center.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 08:22 AM   #22
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, this came right on the heels of one of his top aides spilling the beans on the duplicate bookkeeping tricks the EPA was doing on their calendars/agendas.
There was also the report that he was lobbying to be made attorney general, which would actually make a lot of sense in the context of this nightmare administration.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 08:30 AM   #23
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
There was also the report that he was lobbying to be made attorney general, which would actually make a lot of sense in the context of this nightmare administration.
This is off topic!

This thread is about why there isn't a thread on Scott Pruitt. Your post belongs in a separate thread actually about Scott Pruitt.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 08:48 AM   #24
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

The lead shot ban rule that was removed was only in force for a few months (it was put in place literally on the last day of Obama's term). Since the ban had not produced any measurable environmental improvement the rescinding of the ban did not make it to most major news outlets and did not cause a noticeable outrage from the large environmental & wildlife organizations. I personally liked the ban but feel the he US DDT ban is not really analogous because:
  • It was enacted 46 years ago with a stronger scientific justification and majority public support
  • DDT had already become ineffective in most important US applications
  • Better cost effective substitutes are available for all US applications
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 12:07 PM   #25
davefoc
Philosopher

Best summary of twitter comments:

https://www.sciencealert.com/these-a...u-need-to-read

Old 7th July 2018, 12:36 PM   #26
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Maybe it really was that woman in the restraunt that was the final straw that pushed him to this decision?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 12:58 PM   #27
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Maybe it really was that woman in the restaurant that was the final straw that pushed him to this decision?
I doubt that had much to do with it. Mostly she criticized him for stuff about his actions that the fossil fuel industry and by extension the Republicans they control think are great.

I think there are two broad possibilities here. Pruitt resigned under his own steam as Trump claimed and Pruitt was forced out.

This is from the article in Fortune:

"...President Donald Trump wanted Pruitt to leave, after revelations that the administrator’s public schedule had been altered to shield some meetings from public view, they said. ..."
- http://fortune.com/2018/07/06/scott-...resigns-trump/

Basically you either believe the Bloomberg reporting, the Fortune reporting and perhaps other new sources or you believe the president. I think it highly likely the president lied. Many leaders stretch the truth in these kind of situations but it is unusual for a leader to lie as often and as casually as Trump. So given the routine nature of this particular kind of lie and the fact that Trump lies all the time I think it is reasonable to assume Trump lied about this.

It is interesting as to who leaked the facts about the resignation. Could it have been the president or his minions trying to play both sides of the issue? On the one hand he stood behind the great deregulator and populist to his evangelical base, Scott Pruitt, to one target audience and he took strong action against a guy that was abusing his office to another target audience. Seems like a pretty good strategy to me if ethics are ignored and they often are in politics, even with non Trump politics.

Last edited by davefoc; 7th July 2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:29 PM   #28
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Pruitt accepted a billionaire's gift of $50,000 "believed to be in cash" for his legal defense trust without first informing the EPA.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 02:08 PM   #29
Toontown
Philosopher

What exactly was Pruitt thinking?
You asked the highlighted question about a person who thinks God selected Trump to be president. Your question is practically self-answering.

Scott Pruitt is cognitively impaired. He's been that way for a long time. A preacher probably did it to him.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics