ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 17th July 2018, 07:19 PM   #41
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think you trying beat Trump at his own game is probably the most hilariously awesome plan you could have come up with.

Far be it from me to suggest anything other than you doing your best to out-Trump Donald Mother-*********** Trump.

Though I wouldn't mind if you explained a little more about your theory of insults having weight with voters.
Ahhh. I have no idea what actually works with voters. I can guess though however. I find it surprising that anyone voted for what was clearly a despicable dishonest person. How this turd even won a primary is beyond me. I listened to and read his speeches and was convinced he is really a very awful human being. Self centered, dishonest, sexist, racist and void of any personal integrity.

My theory about the nicknames is that it may have made some people see him as strong and dominant. The alpha dog in the pack. But swords are double edge. Tag him with an accurate nickname and another picture is created.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:21 PM   #42
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Let's just call him what he is: "Lying Piece of **** Traitor".
Creating such extreme agitation in a liberal ( to a Trumpster "liberal" is a pretty vaguely defined term ) is something they love.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:21 PM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Let's just call him what he is: "Lying Piece of **** Traitor".
That at least has the ring of an honest sentiment. Much better than Distracted1's strategy of "they're so stupid that if I can find just the right insult, they won't notice how angry I am or how much I hate them".
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:21 PM   #44
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Herr Gropenfuhrer is pretty dang funny.
It is. But I think it is a tad too cerebral.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:23 PM   #45
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Just call him Trump but change the definition of Trump mean a horrible mess up,ie-"Gosh Bob you really Trumped it up now."
In somewhat obsolete British vernacular, the verb "to trump" refers to audible farting, and it does seem appropriate to re-popularize the use of that term.

But otherwise, I think we can leave the childish nicknames and the like to the people like Trump who get a kick out of it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:24 PM   #46
Armitage72
Master Poster

At one point, I referred to him as Bến Tre Trump. "I had to destroy the country in order to save it."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:27 PM   #47
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

After this weekend, I'd go with "Trumpski" or "Donald Badanov"
Old 17th July 2018, 07:29 PM   #48
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I use "The Trumpster". Has appeal to me because it feels like the type of nickname that comes out of the juvenile eighties and has a "frat boy" vibe ,like "the Mooch".
Further, it rhymes nicely with "dumpster" (something that fills with garbage, frequently stinks, and needs to be hauled off).

The Russia summit might rightly then be described as a "Trumpster Fire".

Edit to add, I have never been particularly fond of name-calling. Always looked at it as bad behavior that no one I could respect would engage in. Then 2016.
I like to stick "ster" on the end of a name. (I think it goes back to an old SNL skit where a guy keeps giving people nicknames over and over. "Hey, it's Sting. Stingster, The Sting-meister, Sting-a-reno...) I had a dog named "Pupster", and I call one of my best friends, "Hankster". So I kind of like that too. For Trump, it comes off as Insultingly affectionate.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:32 PM   #49
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I believe I also had my suggestions and preferences in the other thread ("Cheetoh Benito" wins for me). I usually go with The PDJT but I also like

the PAAPOTUS. (Person Acting As...)
Old 17th July 2018, 07:33 PM   #50
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Commander in chief?

Oh wait, in game of thrones she was called breaker of chains.

So, may I humbly suggest breaker of leftists?
MAGA!
Old 17th July 2018, 07:39 PM   #51
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I like to stick "ster" on the end of a name. (I think it goes back to an old SNL skit where a guy keeps giving people nicknames over and over. "Hey, it's Sting. Stingster, The Sting-meister, Sting-a-reno...) I had a dog named "Pupster", and I call one of my best friends, "Hankster". So I kind of like that too. For Trump, it comes off as Insultingly affectionate.
Don't forget the wrestler Hulk Hogans' addresses to " all the little Hulksters out there ".

Last edited by Distracted1; 17th July 2018 at 07:44 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:40 PM   #52
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Commander in chief?

MAGA!
I know you miss your buddy logger, but you don't seriously believe that Trump "breaks" anything.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:40 PM   #53
Distracted1
Master Poster

Commander in chief?

MAGA!
QED
Old 17th July 2018, 07:42 PM   #54
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Rob Schneider. One amusing joke that was beaten to death, and somehow he STILL POPS UP ON NETFLIX.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:43 PM   #55
Distracted1
Master Poster

That at least has the ring of an honest sentiment. Much better than Distracted1's strategy of "they're so stupid that if I can find just the right insult, they won't notice how angry I am or how much I hate them".
"....how much I hate them" ? You are reading a bit too much into the argument. I don't hate a stupid person for being stupid, any more than I hate a short person for being short.

Last edited by Distracted1; 17th July 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:49 PM   #56
portlandatheist
Master Poster

my favorites are
Mother **********
Traitor Trump
Putin's Poodle
Orange Menace
Piece of Dog ****
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:50 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"....how much I hate them" ? You are reading a bit too much into the argument. I don't hate a stupid person for being stupid, any more than I hate a short person for being short.
"... hate a stupid person for being stupid"? You are reading a bit too much into the argument.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:51 PM   #58
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Commander in chief?

MAGA!
Sorry, I think we've heard much better suggestions for our Russian traitor. Trumpski the Traitor or Putin's Poodle sound pretty good to me.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:51 PM   #59
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump is a kakistonomen: his own name, being a representation of him, is already worse than literally anything else you could call him. Reference a bloodthirsty dictator? All of them were smarter than he is. Call him by a bodily fluid? All of those serve useful purposes. Use adjectives to imply insanity, ridiculousness, or childishness? The mentally ill aren't responsible for their actions, ridiculous people can at least be amusing, and children grow up. Every insult you can dream of would be a step up for Trump. Just call him by his own name, it's already an insult.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:56 PM   #60
Distracted1
Master Poster

"... hate a stupid person for being stupid"? You are reading a bit too much into the argument.
That is cryptic enough to simply ignore.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:59 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That is cryptic enough to simply ignore.
Not cryptic at all. But I'll spell it out for you anyway: You don't hate Trumpsters for being stupid. You hate them for other reasons. You don't even believe they're really all that stupid. That's just an epithet you use to express your hate.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:02 PM   #62
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I think you might be missing a certain point WRT name calling as a tactic.
Think of the memes you might be seeing appear frequently on social media, and the Trumpsters that are forwarding them.
Are they (like the ones that I get) almost universally devoid of reasonable thought? The ones I get are.
People who would be swayed by argument are not sending them out, nor are people who would be impressed by logical comparisons between supporting Trump and supporting tyranny during the American Revolution. In fact, making a historical reference only puts one in the "elite" category, and deepens the resolve of the average Trumpster.
Names that are too cerebral, or express too much agitation (proving that their hero is "making liberals heads explode") actually work to keep the Trumpsters firmly behind their demagogue.

The best way to weaken the support of the Trumpsters is to find a way to genuinely laugh at them. They are not deep thinkers, they feel like liberals have been making their stupidity cause them to be marginalized and they enjoy that Trump makes all us "elites" feel the frustration that they feel.
Find a way to make them feel that Trump is actually making us laugh, and his support (such as it is ) disappears. They cannot tolerate embarrassment.
While I understand the 'know your audience' angle, and we know that in the political realm the group that has shown they respond very well to juvenile, mindless, name calling are ardent Trump supporters, I think you're falling just short of the level of 'knowing' needed there.

They don't respond well because it is mindless, nor juvenile, nor mean, nor clever, nor name-calling. They don't respond only because of the way it makes them feel. It isn't the quality of the mockery that factors in at all. Colbert, Meyers, even Kimmel and Bee are orders of magnitude better at it than anyone supporting Trump can be.

They respond that way because of who the name calling is directed at. They do so because it does feel good, to signal your group. Yes, they are 'loyalists' in that proving 'loyalty' to their tribe and virtue signaling is more important that facts, or even for many their own best interests. The more absurd the absurdity they are supporting is, the more it proves their loyalty. You will never make them feel bad about mockery, yours or their own, because the function it serves is almost entirely loyalty based for them. Even if they honestly think most people think them vile, it still isn't even on them personally, because they've rejected any meaningful implementation of the idea of personal responsibility and have abdicated their agency to their master. Good things are credited to the master. Bad things, even their own dark feelings and insecurities, are blamed on the other. They want a god-anointed king.

That is why you'll never have a nickname that does meaningful damage to Trump for the audience we know embraces meanspirited mockery in the political realm. That is why they'll never actually be the audience for such things. The audience I was addressing was those here. And make no mistake, we are engaging in it for some of the same reasons; to signal our unity on opposition to 45. The main difference is the level of importance we put on it, and other aspects like the cleverness.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 08:03 PM   #63
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump is a kakistonomen: his own name, being a representation of him, is already worse than literally anything else you could call him. Reference a bloodthirsty dictator? All of them were smarter than he is. Call him by a bodily fluid? All of those serve useful purposes. Use adjectives to imply insanity, ridiculousness, or childishness? The mentally ill aren't responsible for their actions, ridiculous people can at least be amusing, and children grow up. Every insult you can dream of would be a step up for Trump. Just call him by his own name, it's already an insult.
[ /thread]
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 08:06 PM   #64
Distracted1
Master Poster

Not cryptic at all. But I'll spell it out for you anyway: You don't hate Trumpsters for being stupid. You hate them for other reasons. You don't even believe they're really all that stupid. That's just an epithet you use to express your hate.
Thanks for clarifying. You are wrong, that could be due to frivolous use of the term "hate". But at least you took the time to explain.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:12 PM   #65
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
While I understand the 'know your audience' angle, and we know that in the political realm the group that has shown they respond very well to juvenile, mindless, name calling are ardent Trump supporters, I think you're falling just short of the level of 'knowing' needed there.

They don't respond well because it is mindless, nor juvenile, nor mean, nor clever, nor name-calling. They don't respond only because of the way it makes them feel. It isn't the quality of the mockery that factors in at all. Colbert, Meyers, even Kimmel and Bee are orders of magnitude better at it than anyone supporting Trump can be.

They respond that way because of who the name calling is directed at. They do so because it does feel good, to signal your group. Yes, they are 'loyalists' in that proving 'loyalty' to their tribe and virtue signaling is more important that facts, or even for many their own best interests. The more absurd the absurdity they are supporting is, the more it proves their loyalty. You will never make them feel bad about mockery, yours or their own, because the function it serves is almost entirely loyalty based for them. Even if they honestly think most people think them vile, it still isn't even on them personally, because they've rejected any meaningful implementation of the idea of personal responsibility and have abdicated their agency to their master. Good things are credited to the master. Bad things, even their own dark feelings and insecurities, are blamed on the other. They want a god-anointed king.

That is why you'll never have a nickname that does meaningful damage to Trump for the audience we know embraces meanspirited mockery in the political realm. That is why they'll never actually be the audience for such things. The audience I was addressing was those here. And make no mistake, we are engaging in it for some of the same reasons; to signal our unity on opposition to 45. The main difference is the level of importance we put on it, and other aspects like the cleverness.
Kings that are laughed at lose the support of their subjects.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:13 PM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Kings that are laughed at lose the support of their subjects.
How's that been working out for you?
Old 17th July 2018, 08:24 PM   #67
Distracted1
Master Poster

How's that been working out for you?
I guess some indication will become apparent with the next round of polling. After the most recent debacle some evidence of a drop in Trumps support may become apparent.

For the Trumpsters, the headlines screaming "traitor" will have less impact than the ones featuring "embarrassment" in weakening that support.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:27 PM   #68
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I guess some indication will become apparent with the next round of polling. After the most recent debacle some evidence of a drop in Trumps support may become apparent.

For the Trumpsters, the headlines screaming "traitor" will have less impact than the ones featuring "embarrassment" in weakening that support.
If your support is irrational to begin, why not double down?

I have a conservative aunt. Everything is "fake liberal media" EVEN WHEN SHE SEES IT ON LIVE TELEVISION.

Mango Mussolini has a hardcoe base of people who won't waver. I think, personally, get the kids out to vote for House seats. (By kids, I mean 18-25)

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 17th July 2018 at 08:31 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 09:07 PM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Just call him Trump but change the definition of Trump mean a horrible mess up,ie-"Gosh Bob you really Trumped it up now."

The word is already (I suspect) causing a great deal of angst among millions of bridge players around the world.

Let's not make it worse by making it official. With any luck this whole thing will blow over in twenty years or so.

I hope.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 09:13 PM   #70
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. It's amazing how weak, servile and obsequious Trump was toward Putin. He really proved he was Putin's bitch. Trump is definitely the bottom in that relationship.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:17 PM   #71
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

POSOTUS.
Old 17th July 2018, 10:09 PM   #72
dadbodhisattva
New Blood

It is customary in Russia to add your name, appended with -ovich, as a middle name. Donald Vladimirovich Trumpski. Maybe just Trumpski for short.
dadbodhisattva is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:06 PM   #73
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Lying, little, low energy, crooked, crispy Trump.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:18 PM   #74
Venom
Graduate Poster

Double Negative Trump

Though that's not catchy at all.

Don The Con, as mentioned earlier, is pretty good.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:29 PM   #75
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Commander in chief?

So, may I humbly suggest breaker of leftists winds?

FTFY.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:32 PM   #76
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Commander in chief?

MAGA!
Little Fingers?
Old 17th July 2018, 11:35 PM   #77
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

The President of the United States?
This president of the United States forfeited his capital "P" long ago; he no longer deserves full-size text.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:59 PM   #78
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

King Orangutan and the Trumpanzees - the whole lot of them fling crap around.

Not all that inventive, but the image of a great orange ape is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I see this poor excuse for an anthropoid.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:01 AM   #79
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

If the North Korean president is 'Rocket Man', then he is 'Norma Jean', Putin's drooling bitch.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:30 AM   #80
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

POOTUS ?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics