ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 1st November 2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Trump announces new concentration camps

So, looks like we are full speed ahead with creating concentration camps. Trump just announced a new policy of capturing and then not releasing immigrants. Just keep collecting them. Sooner or later the right will find convenient quarries where they can be killed.
Old 1st November 2018, 01:36 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So, looks like we are full speed ahead with creating concentration camps. Trump just announced a new policy of capturing and then not releasing immigrants. Just keep collecting them. Sooner or later the right will find convenient quarries where they can be killed.

I think the policy stinks on ice, but are you seriously suggesting genocide is in the works?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Tero
Graduate Poster

How does the cost of housing and feeding a person for a week compare to flying them back?Two months?

Last edited by Tero; 1st November 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Donny calls them "tent cities" because he can't even say the words "United States" without slurring badly (false teeth?). So the word "concentration" is likely to be a real verbal barrier. And camp...well, look at that marmalade tan!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Planigale
Master Poster

So just who did you think would build the wall? I thought Trump had a record of not paying for construction work? Of course they are going to have to work for their meals etc.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the policy stinks on ice, but are you seriously suggesting genocide is in the works?
I don't know if it is or isn't, but do you think there's some reason why Trump and the Republicans wouldn't? If they did, do you think their voters would withhold their support, or cheer them on?
Old 1st November 2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Let's spin this the other way: Trump abandons conservative principles, offers free room and board for life to illegal immigrants!
Old 1st November 2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

So the quote that I was able to find was this :

"Big change as of a couple of days ago - we are going to no longer release, we are going to catch but we are not going to release. They [the migrants] are going to stay with us until the hearing takes place. We are not releasing into the community..."

I take that to mean the idea is keep them in the camps pending the hearing. I imagine there would be a lot of nervous tension in such places. We might be well served in teaching the migrants ways of letting off steam or releasing some pressure just to keep things calm. Perhaps instruction in ways that common, every day items such as, I don't know, woodwind instruments could be used as improvised sex toys could help with relaxation.

And thus would be born the Thisonetimeatbandcamp Camps.

Last edited by Joe Random; 1st November 2018 at 05:59 PM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 06:37 PM   #9
sylvan8798
Master Poster

These places are privately run businesses. They make lots of buckos on these "detainees", so the more the better. Just like our prison system. Just keep then indefinitely and rake in the dough.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 09:46 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So, looks like we are full speed ahead with creating concentration camps. Trump just announced a new policy of capturing and then not releasing immigrants. Just keep collecting them. .....
Cite? Because it sounds like they are currently being caught, then released into America, as if on bail. Good idea, stop releasing people known to be fence jumpers.

eta: meantime they can get legal representation in Immigration court. Sounds win-win.

Last edited by casebro; 1st November 2018 at 09:48 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:17 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod Warning Many, many off topic posts moved to AAH, infractions etc. will follow. An occasional funny one liner is of course OK but not pretty much an entire thread. Either post on topic or don't post.
Posted By:Darat
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:18 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think there will be as many people in the camps as some people are expecting. These camps are only for the migrants who haven't been shot and killed.
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:38 AM   #13
baron
Philosopher

What, people can't just walk into a country and be given access to services and benefits? Trump is such a little murderer.
Old 2nd November 2018, 04:41 AM   #14
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump has decided that to 'Make America Great Again' that those illegal immigrants who are not killed by the US military will be sent to tent concentration camps.

Another fine example of his 'Promises Made, Promises Kept'.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ks/1850582002/

Migrant caravan: Trump suggests immigrants could be shot if they throw rocks at military

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said members of the U.S. military sent to the southern border to keep out thousands in a migrant caravan would "fight back" if immigrants throw stones and suggested soldiers might open fire on the group because there's "not much difference" between a rock or gun.

Existing U.S. laws give people entering the country broad authority to make asylum claims. Trump did not make clear whether he would seek changes in the law but he did indicate he would be unveiling an executive order.

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 2nd November 2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:39 AM   #15
baron
Philosopher

Yes, throw rocks at armed soldiers whilst trying to break across a border into a foreign country and expect repercussions. It demonstrates the calibre of some of those trying to enter the US. They can't immediately gain access, they don't want to apply through the proper channels, so immediately they riot. I imagine none of those proposing these immigrants be let in face the risk of living next door to them. I wonder what would happen if I turned up without a passport at a US airport and tried beating security with a rock.
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:45 AM   #16
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I would think a post like this is a disservice to people who suffered in real concentration camps except I think you believe they are similar.
They are not.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:48 AM   #17
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I don't know if it is or isn't, but do you think there's some reason why Trump and the Republicans wouldn't? If they did, do you think their voters would withhold their support, or cheer them on?
Yes I think there are plenty of reasons why Trump and the republicans wouldn't.
Mainly they aren't the evil monsters it seems you think they are.
I find it hard to fathom that you might believe otherwise.

Very ,very, very few people would stand by for genocide.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:50 AM   #18
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I would think a post like this is a disservice to people who suffered in real concentration camps except I think you believe they are similar.
They are not.
Was just about to say this, histrionics, grandstanding, and feigned moral outrage like this thread is massively disrespectful to victims of Nazism. Skeptics like comparing people who were brutally tortured and murdered for their ethno-religion to people apprehended, and eventually released, for illegally entering a country.

Also kind of relevant fact skeptics miss: Jews fled Nazi occupied countries, they didn't flock to it.

Last edited by Baylor; 2nd November 2018 at 05:55 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:02 AM   #19
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Except that these are the same people who say things like "Mexican isn't a race", so it wouldn't be genocide in their minds. To them, it's just executing criminals, which we know Republicans strongly support.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:07 AM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Was just about to say this, histrionics, grandstanding, and feigned moral outrage like this thread is massively disrespectful to victims of Nazism. Skeptics like comparing people who were brutally tortured and murdered for their ethno-religion to people apprehended, and eventually released, for illegally entering a country.

Also kind of relevant fact skeptics miss: Jews fled Nazi occupied countries, they didn't flock to it.
On the other hand, many Lithuanian Catholics fled the Russians- into Germany. Germany put the 'guest workers' to work- in camps. My great Aunt came to America in 1947 with a number tattooed on her arm. Tatts were only used at the Auschwitz chain of camps. So, not all death camps.

So yeah, there is a lot of precedence for putting voluntary workers in camps.

And yeah, rocks are considered a deadly weapon to be defended against. Tear gas will do initially. It wasn't legal at Waco, but would be if the Army is defending our border from an in invasion.

Does being the world's policeman mean we also have to be the world's babysitter? Is it time to draw a line?

Care to look at gang murders in L.A.? Most are done by illegals.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:19 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

History indicates otherwise.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:24 AM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Very, very, very few people would stand by for US citizens being tortured and incarcerated indefinitely without trial. Very, very, very few people would stand for open white supremacists in the White House. Very, very, very few people would stand for a hostile foreign power interfering in US elections with no repercussions and no preventative measures for future elections. Very, very, very few people would stand for officials rigging elections and denying US citizens their right to vote. Very, very, very few people would stand for a president who uses the presidency to line his own pockets. Very, very, very few people would stand for children being put in concentration camps.

I mean, I don't think we're at the point yet where genocide could happen, and nor do I think it possible under Trump. But you'd be surprised what people can accept once it becomes normalised, and we don't yet know how Trump's presidency is going to end, nor do we know who is going to follow him and what they will normalise.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:26 AM   #23
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Yes, throw rocks at armed soldiers whilst trying to break across a border into a foreign country and expect repercussions. It demonstrates the calibre of some of those trying to enter the US. They can't immediately gain access, they don't want to apply through the proper channels, so immediately they riot.
Er... you know you're taking a hypothetical as reality, here, right?

As for calibre, I wouldn't ignore that of the home-grown yokels, either.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:27 AM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes I think there are plenty of reasons why Trump and the republicans wouldn't.
Mainly they aren't the evil monsters it seems you think they are.
I find it hard to fathom that you might believe otherwise.

History tells us differently.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:29 AM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So, we're going to provide security, housing, food, medical care and education for their children but we're not going to let them do menial jobs no one here wants.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:35 AM   #26
Mark F
Graduate Poster

I think we need to bring this whole "migrant caravan" into perspective.

First off, it is not a "migrant caravan". These are not migrants, they are asylum seekers, fleeing conflicts in their homelands that the United States is more than a little responsible for.

Second, who said they are going to just go pouring over the border when they get to the U.S.? This is not the first one of these caravans we have seen, not even the first this year. The MO is they get to the border, stop and fill out asylum paperwork. All this brown invasion BS is just that, election year BS designed to scare white conservatives into the polling booths.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:37 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Yes, throw rocks at armed soldiers whilst trying to break across a border into a foreign country and expect repercussions. It demonstrates the calibre of some of those trying to enter the US. They can't immediately gain access, they don't want to apply through the proper channels, so immediately they riot. I imagine none of those proposing these immigrants be let in face the risk of living next door to them. I wonder what would happen if I turned up without a passport at a US airport and tried beating security with a rock.
I thought they did want to apply through the proper channels but Trump is trying to stop them from doing so?
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:38 AM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

First off, it is not a "migrant caravan". These are not migrants, they are asylum seekers, fleeing conflicts in their homelands that the United States is more than a little responsible for.

Second, who said they are going to just go pouring over the border when they get to the U.S.? This is not the first one of these caravans we have seen, not even the first this year. The MO is they get to the border, stop and fill out asylum paperwork. All this brown invasion BS is just that, election year BS designed to scare white conservatives into the polling booths.
This.

This whole thing is overblown, its a bit larger than most groups but that's about it. A number of these groups dissolve in Mexico, having found work, and few make to the US border as a complete group. It is the perfect boogyman for the simpleminded and evil types.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:41 AM   #29
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

And that's why there have been exactly zero genocides in human history.

*check notes*

Oh wait...
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:43 AM   #30
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Care to look at gang murders in L.A.? Most are done by illegals.
Looks like someone has been drinking the Kool-Aid.

Not a good look if one wishes to be taken seriously.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:47 AM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Sooner or later the right will find convenient quarries where they can be killed.
It must be scary living inside your head.

Come out and join the rest of us in reality. It's much more pleasant.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:50 AM   #32
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Except that these are the same people who say things like "Mexican isn't a race", so it wouldn't be genocide in their minds. To them, it's just executing criminals, which we know Republicans strongly support.
No one I know feels it would just be executing criminals.
No republican I know supports execution for crimes of this nature.
If you believe this you live in a sad scary world.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:52 AM   #33
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

You can believe most are fleeing conflict and seeking asylum. I do believe most are fleeing poverty and are coming here willing to work hard.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:56 AM   #34
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
History tells us differently.
History does not tell what current people living here would "knowingly allow",. It does tell us that in the past humans have been capable of extreme cruelty and we should be aware of this and not think it is completely impossible to happen again.

But I believe we are not anywhere near a situation like that now.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:57 AM   #35
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought they did want to apply through the proper channels but Trump is trying to stop them from doing so?
Then you are obviously very gullible.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:58 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It must be scary living inside your head.
Hell, it's scary from outside.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:59 AM   #37
Baylor
Philosopher

But I believe we are not anywhere near a situation like that now.
So does everyone else. In case you haven't noticed, people like to feign concern to show how morally righteous they are.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:02 AM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Hell, it's scary from outside.
You think there's an incipient genocide out here in the real world?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:03 AM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
So does everyone else. In case you haven't noticed, people like to feign concern to show how morally righteous they are.
I just have no illusions how low a Trump supporter can sink and I don't have faith that most of the rest of the country would resist.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:06 AM   #40
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I just have no illusions how low a Trump supporter can sink and I don't have faith that most of the rest of the country would resist.
I think you have lost your grip on reality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics