ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 2nd November 2018, 07:07 AM   #41
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I just have no illusions how low a Trump supporter can sink
Oh, you most certainly do have illusions about that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:13 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You think there's an incipient genocide out here in the real world?
Ouch, that joke sure didn't land correctly.

No, I meant that what's in his head is already scary from here (outside); I don't want to delve further.

ETA: There was also a double meaning about Travis being ugly, but it was not the original intent.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 2nd November 2018 at 07:20 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:19 AM   #43
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
No one I know feels it would just be executing criminals.

Not yet, no. But take a look at any of the "Xing while Black" threads to see how many Republican types go out of their way to find after-the-fact justifications for killing people. They won't feel it now, but I'd give good odds on a lot of them feeling it then.

Quote:
No republican I know supports execution for crimes of this nature.

And no Republican I know "supports" suppressing legitimate voters. But they end up doing exactly that by convincing themselves that the people being suppressed aren't legitimate voters.

Quote:
If you believe this you live in a sad scary world.

If you don't believe that this is at least possible, you haven't been paying attention. All of the things Squeegee Beckenheim refers to are things that no one would have believed Republicans would have supported, if we'd been speculating about it a few years ago. And yet, here we are.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:25 AM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Really? The scum at those rallies seem pretty excited about Trump's claim that the troops would fire on migrants. It's not a far step.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:27 AM   #45
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought they did want to apply through the proper channels but Trump is trying to stop them from doing so?
I don't think Trump has banned applying to enter the US, or stopped all immigration. At the end of the day if someone applies and their application is denied then they can't get in. At no point is there a mandate to riot.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:29 AM   #46
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Looks like someone has been drinking the Kool-Aid.

Not a good look if one wishes to be taken seriously.
You know your link doesn't negate the claim, right?
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:33 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

Although I don't think actual death camps are on the way, and as usual Travis' interpretation of reality is.... er... detached, I wouldn't say it's ridiculous either. I'm sure a lot of people in Germany and Cambodia didn't think it would happen there, either.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:37 AM   #48
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Ouch, that joke sure didn't land correctly.

No, I meant that what's in his head is already scary from here (outside); I don't want to delve further.
Ah, OK, got it. Say no more.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:39 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Say no more.
But I want to!

Old 2nd November 2018, 07:39 AM   #50
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Really? The scum at those rallies seem pretty excited about Trump's claim that the troops would fire on migrants. It's not a far step.
Defending yourself from an attack is not a far step from killing prisoners en masse? Yeah, no. That is, in fact, a very far step.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:41 AM   #51
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Will somebody hurry up and finally reach the "Planck" level of demonization of your opponent so Travis will stop starting these obvious bait threads?

Or Republicans take one for the team. Somebody agree with Travis that Trump is going to round people up into camps and the Right is all going to be okay with it so Travis can feel satisfied that his rage is justified.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd November 2018 at 07:43 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:42 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

Defending yourself from an attack is not a far step from killing prisoners en masse? Yeah, no. That is, in fact, a very far step.
Hopefully by "attack" you meant throwing large rocks at police officers, not the very act of immigrating to the US.

Old 2nd November 2018, 07:49 AM   #53
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
But I want to!
Nudge, nudge.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:51 AM   #54
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Not yet, no. But take a look at any of the "Xing while Black" threads to see how many Republican types go out of their way to find after-the-fact justifications for killing people. They won't feel it now, but I'd give good odds on a lot of them feeling it then.

And no Republican I know "supports" suppressing legitimate voters. But they end up doing exactly that by convincing themselves that the people being suppressed aren't legitimate voters.

If you don't believe that this is at least possible, you haven't been paying attention. All of the things Squeegee Beckenheim refers to are things that no one would have believed Republicans would have supported, if we'd been speculating about it a few years ago. And yet, here we are.
I don’t believe most of the things Squeegee Beckerheim claims have actually happened.
I also don't think the posts in “while black” threads are about justifications for killing innocent people.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 2nd November 2018 at 08:05 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:52 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

We're really like an old couple, aren't we?

Old 2nd November 2018, 07:52 AM   #56
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Somebody agree with Travis that Trump is going to round people up into camps and the Right is all going to be okay with it so Travis can feel satisfied that his rage is justified.
Addicts don't get satisfied with their addiction. You can never catch the dragon.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:54 AM   #57
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Care to look at gang murders in L.A.? Most are done by illegals.
Will probably need a separate thread if it actually goes into discussion...

Got a cite for that?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:01 AM   #58
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

more trump talk, not as smart as "rock talk"

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So, looks like we are full speed ahead with creating concentration camps. Trump just announced a new policy of capturing and then not releasing immigrants. ...
Yes, the stable genius talks, and don't forget, trump says 'Consider rocks as rifles'.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:11 AM   #59
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Did President Trump say that? I don't think so. He did make a ridiculous statement about rock throwing being considered the same as a rifle.

Are you any less hateful towards those who disagree with you than the "scum" at those Trump rallies?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:13 AM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

Did President Trump say that? I don't think so. He did make a ridiculous statement about rock throwing being considered the same as a rifle.

Are you any less hateful towards those who disagree with you than the "scum" at those Trump rallies?
The implication is that if the migrants throw rocks (presumably because their entry into the US will be blocked; and I'm not sure how legal that is) the officers will shoot back.

Old 2nd November 2018, 08:22 AM   #61
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I don’t believe most of the things Squeegee Beckerheim claims have actually happened.
I also don't think the posts in “while black” threads are about justifications for killing innocent people.

Well, then, you're completely detached from reality. Welcome to the club.
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:24 AM   #62
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Yes, throw rocks at armed soldiers whilst trying to break across a border into a foreign country and expect repercussions. It demonstrates the calibre of some of those trying to enter the US. They can't immediately gain access, they don't want to apply through the proper channels, so immediately they riot. I imagine none of those proposing these immigrants be let in face the risk of living next door to them. I wonder what would happen if I turned up without a passport at a US airport and tried beating security with a rock.

That's not how asylum works and you know it. Everyone knows it. It's repeated over and over in these threads. They ARE going through the proper channels. You have to be here to apply for asylum. You can't do it before you come here.

*edit: quoted the wrong post

Last edited by phunk; 2nd November 2018 at 08:27 AM.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:33 AM   #63
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
That's not how asylum works and you know it. Everyone knows it. It's repeated over and over in these threads. They ARE going through the proper channels. You have to be here to apply for asylum. You can't do it before you come here.

*edit: quoted the wrong post
I don't know much about US asylum law, but the second sentence on Wiki says this

"A specified number of legally defined refugees who either apply for asylum from inside the U.S. or apply for refugee status from outside the U.S., are admitted annually."

And I think you know that once the application is made, wherever that may be, most do not have a hope in hell of satisfying the criteria by which one is deemed a refugee.
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:54 AM   #64
phunk
Illuminator

I don't know much about US asylum law, but the second sentence on Wiki says this

"A specified number of legally defined refugees who either apply for asylum from inside the U.S. or apply for refugee status from outside the U.S., are admitted annually."

And I think you know that once the application is made, wherever that may be, most do not have a hope in hell of satisfying the criteria by which one is deemed a refugee.
There is a difference between refugees and asylum seekers.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:04 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I get this adds a new wrinkle to this clustermuck but if on a moral level if conditions in Country A are so bad that not letting people from Country A into your country to allow them to escape Country A is a moral failing, I'd argue you have an equal moral imperative to try and fix the problems in Country A.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:05 AM   #66
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I would think a post like this is a disservice to people who suffered in real concentration camps except I think you believe they are similar.
They are not.
Can you explain how they are different? BTW you don't need to explain how they are different from a Nazi concentration camp of WWII, but those were not typical. This does sound typical of typical concentration camps.

ETA: Note that wikipedia makes a distinction between concentration/internment camp and Nazi concentration camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camps

Quote:
The American Heritage Dictionary defines the term concentration camp as: "A camp where persons are confined, usually without hearings and typically under harsh conditions, often as a result of their membership in a group the government has identified as dangerous or undesirable."[7]

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 2nd November 2018 at 09:18 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:10 AM   #67
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

You know your link doesn't negate the claim, right?
Sounds like you're volunteering to substantiate the original claim.

I eagerly await you to report back with your findings.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:16 AM   #68
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Except that these are the same people who say things like "Mexican isn't a race", so it wouldn't be genocide in their minds. To them, it's just executing criminals, which we know Republicans strongly support.
I don't personally know any Republican who would support executing a person simply for illegal immigration.

Let's stop exaggerating the evil of our political opponents. At present, Republicans (at least Trump supporters) have enough to answer for.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:16 AM   #69
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Can you explain how they are different? BTW you don't need to explain how they are different from a Nazi concentration camp of WWII, but those were not typical. This does sound typical of typical concentration camps.
The general term concentration camps in my mind now refers to the Nazi type. Travis talking about finding a quarry also implies death camps. There may be nice modern “concentration camps” I am not aware of.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:17 AM   #70
johnny karate

Trump and his supporters are big fans of violent criminal assault.

You don't think people who celebrate violent criminal assault deserve to be called scum?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:18 AM   #71
carlitos
"más divertido"

What might this topic actually be about? I pay pretty close attention to the news, and no one else seems to think that "Trump announced new concentration camps" yesterday. What did I miss?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:19 AM   #72
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
There is a difference between refugees and asylum seekers.
The latter becomes the former (or can do), I understand that. But you said they could not take the legal route of application without entering the US. The cite I quoted states this to be false. So have you any evidence what you said is correct?

Last edited by baron; 2nd November 2018 at 09:20 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:20 AM   #73
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Very, very, very few people would stand by for US citizens being tortured and incarcerated indefinitely without trial.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Quote:
Very, very, very few people would stand for open white supremacists in the White House.
Nor here. There are certainly folk in the White House that I think are racist, but I wouldn't call them "open white supremacist[s]". Who do you have in mind? (Stephen Miller is probably closest to what you mean, and formerly Bannon, far as I'm concerned.)

Quote:
Very, very, very few people would stand for a hostile foreign power interfering in US elections with no repercussions and no preventative measures for future elections.
Absolutely no questions needed for this one!
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:20 AM   #74
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Sounds like you're volunteering to substantiate the original claim...
...or point out that your link does not claim what you say it does. Which I did.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:22 AM   #75
johnny karate

...or point out that your link does not claim what you say it does. Which I did.
What did I say it claimed?
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:25 AM   #76
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What might this topic actually be about? I pay pretty close attention to the news, and no one else seems to think that "Trump announced new concentration camps" yesterday. What did I miss?
You didn't miss anything except a need to feed the outrage machine.

Old 2nd November 2018, 09:27 AM   #77
phunk
Illuminator

The latter becomes the former (or can do), I understand that. But you said they could not take the legal route of application without entering the US. The cite I quoted states this to be false. So have you any evidence what you said is correct?
I said they can't apply for asylum without coming here, I didn't say there weren't other ways to immigrate. The bit you quote doesn't say it's false, it says the same thing I did. Asylum needs to be applied for here, refugee status can be applied for remotely.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:29 AM   #78
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You didn't miss anything except a need to feed the outrage machine.
Where does he find this stuff - more memes perhaps? Sure, CNN is big corporate news, but not even HuffPo had anything on this topic when I looked.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:29 AM   #79
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, are there really threads about "crossing while black"?
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:31 AM   #80
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sorry, are there really threads about "crossing while black"?
Well, there's a thread about being home while black, and all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics