ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 2nd November 2018, 09:31 AM   #81
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
What did I say it claimed?
When you said he was drinking the kool-aid and provided a link it appeared that is what you were doing.

Don’t know if the claim can be substantiated but here is one recent arrest inLong Island.
Of course there are other gangs that are not full of illegal immigrants.

Out where I work 10 of 13 MIS members recently arrested were “undocumented “.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...415209143.html

Last edited by eeyore1954; 2nd November 2018 at 09:34 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:33 AM   #82
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I said they can't apply for asylum without coming here, I didn't say there weren't other ways to immigrate. The bit you quote doesn't say it's false, it says the same thing I did. Asylum needs to be applied for here, refugee status can be applied for remotely.
So what is it you're claiming? That the people in this 'caravan' have been granted refugee status and Trump won't let them in? Or that Trump won't even let them apply for refugee status?

What did I say it claimed?
This reminds me of a sketch on TV. Two very old people in room. One turns round slowly, so slowly, and looks out of the window. Then he turns back again, slow, slow, slow. When he's eventually facing front the other one asks, "So what's the weather like?" The first looks puzzled, then replies, "I've forgotten."
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:35 AM   #83
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Where does he find this stuff - more memes perhaps? Sure, CNN is big corporate news, but not even HuffPo had anything on this topic when I looked.
While I used it as the launching point for a lame pun, this was indeed a quote from Trump : "Big change as of a couple of days ago - we are going to no longer release, we are going to catch but we are not going to release. They [the migrants] are going to stay with us until the hearing takes place. We are not releasing into the community..."

Premise being that we'll (supposedly) be setting up tent cities to detain would-be migrants pending their hearings/whatever. At least that idea, filtered through some hyperbolic lenses, is what I assumed prompted the OP.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:36 AM   #84
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Will somebody hurry up and finally reach the "Planck" level of demonization of your opponent so Travis will stop starting these obvious bait threads?

Or Republicans take one for the team. Somebody agree with Travis that Trump is going to round people up into camps and the Right is all going to be okay with it so Travis can feel satisfied that his rage is justified.
I'm with you, brother.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:43 AM   #85
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
While I used it as the launching point for a lame pun, this was indeed a quote from Trump : "Big change as of a couple of days ago - we are going to no longer release, we are going to catch but we are not going to release. They [the migrants] are going to stay with us until the hearing takes place. We are not releasing into the community..."

Premise being that we'll (supposedly) be setting up tent cities to detain would-be migrants pending their hearings/whatever. At least that idea, filtered through some hyperbolic lenses, is what I assumed prompted the OP.
Thanks. Travis sometimes seems to think that this place works like his Twitter feed, where we are all attuned to the outrage du jour, not requiring context, a clear explanation or even a link.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:44 AM   #86
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Defending yourself from an attack is not a far step from killing prisoners en masse? Yeah, no. That is, in fact, a very far step.
Get a grip, we're talking about Trump supporters here. Look at them at their rallies. Do you think anyone of their kind values the lives of the people in that caravan? Sure, you'd have to select a certain few to do the deed but the rest wouldn't care if it were properly sanitized.

The Germans were well educated people surrounded by the art and culture of a great civilization and look what they did. Do you really think the treasonous scum at those rallies would push back when an intelligent, cultured and sophisticated people didn't?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:47 AM   #87
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, there's a thread about being home while black, and all.
I'd think that a Canadian would get the joke, because I'd think that you have quite similar road signs. Nonetheless, let me kill what little humor was in my joke by explaining it.

The phrase used by Horatius was "Xing while black". On road signs, "Xing" means "crossing". Obviously, Horatius meant to use X as a variable.

There, kind sir, I have ruined what little humor was to be found in that delightful jape, just to satisfy you. Hope you're happy.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:48 AM   #88
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The phrase used by Horatius was "Xing while black". On road signs, "Xing" means "crossing". Obviously, Horatius meant to use X as a variable.
Oh. We don't have signs like that here. Sorry.

I should've gotten the reference, though. It's hard to spot sarcasm, sometimes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:49 AM   #89
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Get a grip, we're talking about Trump supporters here. Look at them at their rallies. Do you think anyone of their kind values the lives of the people in that caravan? Sure, you'd have to select a certain few to do the deed but the rest wouldn't care if it were properly sanitized.

The Germans were well educated people surrounded by the art and culture of a great civilization and look what they did. Do you really think the treasonous scum at those rallies would push back when an intelligent, cultured and sophisticated people didn't?
What's it like living in a country where half the population are 'treasonous scum' intent on genocide?
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:57 AM   #90
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
What's it like living in a country where half the population are 'treasonous scum' intent on genocide?
At the moment not fun. We'll see in a week. Hopefully, real loyal Americans will bring the rest to heel.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:57 AM   #91
Tero
Graduate Poster

Will there be enough fire pits for the child aliens to toast Smores in the camps?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%27more

Last edited by Tero; 2nd November 2018 at 10:00 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:00 AM   #92
carlitos
"más divertido"

The same as it's like living in a country where 60 / 350 = half.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:01 AM   #93
Belz...
Fiend God

Who said half? Trump barely got 25% of the country to vote for him, and few of those would ever be intent on genocide. How many, and how many are willing to sit by while this happens, remains to be seen. Hopefully we won't have to see.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:07 AM   #94
baron
Philosopher

What's that like?
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:11 AM   #95
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Get a grip, we're talking about Trump supporters here. Look at them at their rallies. Do you think anyone of their kind values the lives of the people in that caravan?
The complete lack of self-awareness in this post is something remarkable to behold.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:14 AM   #96
carlitos
"más divertido"

What's that like?
I wouldn't know, obviously, since the country you described doesn't exist.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:15 AM   #97
Belz...
Fiend God

What's that like?
Well, you came up with it. You tell us.

Old 2nd November 2018, 10:16 AM   #98
baron
Philosopher

I wouldn't know, obviously, since the country you described doesn't exist.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:28 AM   #99
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
When you said he was drinking the kool-aid and provided a link it appeared that is what you were doing.
If someone makes a claim related to the moon landing conspiracy theory and I link to a website about the moon landing conspiracy theory to mock them for their silly claim, the website doesn’t need to refute their specific claim. Nor does this shift the burden to me to disprove the original claim.

Not only are you and baron terrible at the playing “Gotcha!”, but you’ve both beclowned yourself in the process by looking like you’re defending racist memes.

Quote:
Don’t know if the claim can be substantiated but here is one recent arrest in Long Island.
Of course there are other gangs that are not full of illegal immigrants.

Out where I work 10 of 13 MIS members recently arrested were “undocumented “.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...415209143.html
Thanks for that link that doesn’t address the original claim. Maybe next time post a recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:29 AM   #100
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

In Baron's defense, Trump's recent approval ratings are roughly 40-45%. That's close to half.

I don't know that "approval" means "supports", but it's a reasonable interpretation.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:30 AM   #101
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The complete lack of self-awareness in this post is something remarkable to behold.
I'm completely self aware on this point. I just don't care about the consequences.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:35 AM   #102
johnny karate

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
In Baron's defense, Trump's recent approval ratings are roughly 40-45%. That's close to half.

I don't know that "approval" means "supports", but it's a reasonable interpretation.
But I don't think that 40-45% represents the deranged sociopaths who cheer for violent criminal assault. I feel like most of them are just ignorant dupes.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:48 AM   #103
phunk
Illuminator

So what is it you're claiming? That the people in this 'caravan' have been granted refugee status and Trump won't let them in? Or that Trump won't even let them apply for refugee status?
Asylum. They are seeking asylum, not applying for refugee status from where they were. They are fleeing poverty and violence. They decided that staying where they were and applying for refugee status and probably getting denied was more dangerous than leaving.

Many of them won't even come as far as the US. Many will find new homes and jobs along the way in Mexico. This happens every year, it's nothing new. Trump is just making a big deal out of it for political reasons.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:52 AM   #104
eeyore1954
Philosopher

If someone makes a claim related to the moon landing conspiracy theory and I link to a website about the moon landing conspiracy theory to mock them for their silly claim, the website doesn’t need to refute their specific claim. Nor does this shift the burden to me to disprove the original claim.

Not only are you and baron terrible at the playing “Gotcha!”, but you’ve both beclowned yourself in the process by looking like you’re defending racist memes.

Thanks for that link that doesn’t address the original claim. Maybe next time post a recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
Ok sure you didn’t intend that link to refute Barons claim.

I was showing that it isn’t unlikely that 50% of gang murders in my neighborhood is from illegal aliens. In Los Angeles who knows but I do believe there is a higher percentage of illegal aliens there than in Suffolk County NY.
I didn’t defend any racist memes.
I do have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies by the way.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:02 AM   #105
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Trump has decided that to 'Make America Great Again' that those illegal immigrants who are not killed by the US military will be sent to tent concentration camps.

Another fine example of his 'Promises Made, Promises Kept'.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ks/1850582002/

Migrant caravan: Trump suggests immigrants could be shot if they throw rocks at military

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said members of the U.S. military sent to the southern border to keep out thousands in a migrant caravan would "fight back" if immigrants throw stones and suggested soldiers might open fire on the group because there's "not much difference" between a rock or gun.

Existing U.S. laws give people entering the country broad authority to make asylum claims. Trump did not make clear whether he would seek changes in the law but he did indicate he would be unveiling an executive order.
Trump talks big but nothing happens. Some Federal judge will throw out any executive order he issues or the MSM will bombard us with photos of crying children at the border until Trump rescinds any executive order. Trump's problem is he's too soft hearted. He doesn't have the resolve to treat thousands of men carrying the flags of foreign nations crossing our borders without our permission as what they are. At least his talk about shooting people armed with rocks shows us that he's thinking about the Israeli model for border security.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:05 AM   #106
baron
Philosopher

Asylum. They are seeking asylum, not applying for refugee status from where they were. They are fleeing poverty and violence. They decided that staying where they were and applying for refugee status and probably getting denied was more dangerous than leaving.
Fleeing poverty and violence are not in themselves grounds for asylum. As I say, I doubt many in this group would fulfil the requirements, especially those from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India and other Asian regions who actually pay up to $50K* to come over and be trafficked into the US.

* Monetary figure was in Sky's televised feature.

Trump is just making a big deal out of it for political reasons.
I don't dispute that.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:07 AM   #107
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Trump's problem is he's too soft hearted.
It's really hard to tell which posters here are parody accounts and which ones are genuine.

Quote:
He doesn't have the resolve to treat thousands of men carrying the flags of foreign nations crossing our borders without our permission as what they are.
As what? Asylum seekers?

Did you give that any thought, I wonder? They won't cross your borders without your permission. They're coming, in full view, in order to get permission to cross!

Old 2nd November 2018, 11:07 AM   #108
baron
Philosopher

Actually it was someone else's claim, I was just demonstrating that the link johnny karate put up did nothing to dispute it.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:08 AM   #109
johnny karate

I'm not sure that you wanted to say that.
Cut him some slack. He's currently struggling to understand the difference between asylum seekers and refugees, and is understandably a little distracted.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:10 AM   #110
carlitos
"más divertido"

At least his talk about shooting people armed with rocks shows us that he's thinking about the Israeli model for border security.
Building tent cities is like the Israeli model too. Perhaps we can look forward to a Lebanon-like experience on the Mexican border.

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd November 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:12 AM   #111
Belz...
Fiend God

I really don't understand the reaction to this. We're only talking about a couple of thousand people, at most.

Old 2nd November 2018, 11:18 AM   #112
johnny karate

For the record, it was casebro’s claim.

And I honestly can't believe that some people expect me to refute that claim.

As opposed to, you know, expecting casebro to provide substantiation for it.

Quote:
I was showing that it isn’t unlikely that 50% of gang murders in my neighborhood is from illegal aliens.
No, you didn’t.

Quote:
In Los Angeles who knows but I do believe there is a higher percentage of illegal aliens there than in Suffolk County NY.
You’re implying that a higher illegal immigrant population indicates a higher rate of gang murders committed by illegal immigrants.

I would love to see you connect those dots.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:19 AM   #113
johnny karate

Actually it was someone else's claim, I was just demonstrating that the link johnny karate put up did nothing to dispute it.
While failing to notice that johnny karate didn't claim to be.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:22 AM   #114
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't understand the reaction to this. We're only talking about a couple of thousand people, at most.
Trump is a failure. His biggest accomplishment is a tax cut that turned out not to be very popular. Wage growth is stagnant. Coal show no signs of coming back to life. He needs to rally his supporters around fear because he has no success to run on. It's not important to him that the "caravan" is not a threat, he's just sacrificing the men, women and children in the name of political expediency.
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:00 PM   #115
baron
Philosopher

While failing to notice that johnny karate didn't claim to be.
Sure you didn't.
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:07 PM   #116
smartcooky
Philosopher

Thanks for that link that doesn’t address the original claim. Maybe next time post a recipe for chocolate chip cookies.....
...but, don't put your name and "Cherokee" next to it... you can get in trouble for doing that!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:11 PM   #117
CaptainHowdy
Muse

If they think they are likely to be denied refugee status if they apply for it their home country, why do they think their claim will be acceptable once they are physically in the United States and are asking for asylum?

Quote:
Many of them won't even come as far as the US. Many will find new homes and jobs along the way in Mexico.
That's what they should all do. If they were legit in danger in Honduras, they can apply for asylum when they reach the safety of Guatemala or Mexico. If they are traveling further north it's not because they are in danger.

Quote:
This happens every year, it's nothing new. Trump is just making a big deal out of it for political reasons.
Are you saying these caravans happen all the time? How many are there every year? How many years has this been happening? This sounds like it might be a bigger problem than I imagined.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:25 PM   #118
baron
Philosopher

Are you saying these caravans happen all the time? How many are there every year? How many years has this been happening? This sounds like it might be a bigger problem than I imagined.
I read there have been people queuing on the bridge for years (not necessarily the same ones). If Trump allowed them all through, however, you can only imagine the numbers that would turn up, just like how the immigrant traffic across the Med rose by orders of magnitude when Europe opened its borders.
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:28 PM   #119
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's what they should all do. If they were legit in danger in Honduras, they can apply for asylum when they reach the safety of Guatemala or Mexico. If they are traveling further north it's not because they are in danger.
I believe Mexico has also offered many of them asylum, and they've mostly refused.

This isn't about being in danger in their home country.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:44 PM   #120
baron
Philosopher

This isn't about being in danger in their home country.
Very little immigration is. If it were, we'd see a whole lot more women and children as opposed to fit young men in their 20s & 30s, who comprise the vast majority of almost every immigrating population. That's why I was in favour of the UK government actually going to Syria to bring refugees into the UK; then, the most needy people can get the help, not the fit young men who bully their way to the front.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics