ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 4th November 2018, 01:43 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,859
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It almost sounds like you're opposed to increasing wages for workers.
Not at all. What I'm pointing out is that there are consequences to not only the farmers, but to the general public as well, when there aren't enough migrant farm workers to bring in the harvest. Most migrant farm workers are undocumented. Higher wages and benefits equal higher food prices. Higher food prices help offset wage increases. It's a matter of fact, not a criticism of higher wages.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 01:44 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,859
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
So you have a problem with immigrant farm workers earning more money and having health insurance? Got it.
No. Read my post above.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 01:52 PM   #203
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,859
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
We should let these companies continue to profit off of illegal labor? Or do you think they pass those savings on to us consumers? How do companies in areas with less access to illegals, or that refuse to break the law by hiring them compete?

How about they join the rest of the country and do things legally instead? What's so special about big agriculture?

Oh wait, agriculture is but a small part of the work illegals do. Should we also allow building contractors to hire illegals so that they can out-bid companies who do not? They do now.

When should the "illegal" bit actually be illegal and when should it not? Oh wait - they're undocumented, not illegal! Ah I see how this works!

Intentionally breaking laws seems like a really stupid way of fixing any problem.

Why is allowing illegals in this country so important to you? I know why it's important to the Dems and the Repubs and big business, but why you or anyone else on this board? Surely you can come up with a better reason than "We need to exploit them for cheaper things". That's just evil.

The government and big business tell you it's about compassion so you will go along with it but it's really about money and political influence. You are being conned.


Just thought I'd stop by. Man this place is getting ugly.
You're correct. It is getting ugly...as is your rant above. Read my previous reply.

I have no problem with farm workers making more money or getting health benefits. I think the way they have been treated is atrocious. I merely pointed out the consequences of not having enough people to bring in the harvests. Now, I suggest you calm down and cut the 'evil' name calling crap because of a misunderstanding on your part of what I think.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 02:17 PM   #204
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You're correct. It is getting ugly...as is your rant above. Read my previous reply.

I have no problem with farm workers making more money or getting health benefits. I think the way they have been treated is atrocious. I merely pointed out the consequences of not having enough people to bring in the harvests. Now, I suggest you calm down and cut the 'evil' name calling crap because of a misunderstanding on your part of what I think.
Was there ever a country that left its crops rotting in the fields for want of illegal immigrants?
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 02:38 PM   #205
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,859
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Was there ever a country that left its crops rotting in the fields for want of illegal immigrants?

This one.
Quote:
Alabama immigration: crops rot as workers vanish to avoid crackdown
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-law-workers

Quote:
"California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker Shortage"
http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigr...rotting-crops/

Quote:
The apple trees were heavy with fruit, and the rows and rows of tomatoes, squash, and hot peppers were ripe for picking. But in the end, Gary and Patty Bartley, prizewinning farmers in western Michigan, had to leave $200,000 to $300,000 worth of their crops to rot in their fields last year.

They couldn’t find enough people to pick everything.

That was not for lack of trying. They had urged their domestic migrant workers to return, but only 12 did – about a third of the crew size they needed. The Bartleys placed ads in papers out of state and advertised all season with the Michigan state workforce development agency. Not a single person applied.
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...turn-to-Mexico

Quote:
But some of the fruit is rotting in the orchards because there aren't enough workers to pick them.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...f-more-workers
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 02:53 PM   #206
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
What's your obsession with White people? Black people are too good for those jobs and refuse to do them as well. I know you hate black people and don't care how immigration affects them. But you can't simply brush them aside.
Wait, what? You think I hate black people?

Where in earth did you ever get that idea?
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 02:56 PM   #207
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 23,819
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Careful, Stacyhs ... baron carefully put 'illegal' into his question. Probably in order to elicit a response that refers to seasonal immigrant pickers rather than *illegal* immigrant pickers.

It's a 'preemptive gotcha' tactic. Cunning. Or he could just be plain wrong ... dunno.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut

Last edited by GlennB; 4th November 2018 at 02:58 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:00 PM   #208
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well cited, but I should have stressed the word 'illegal'. The first story is about illegal workers who essentially vanished overnight on account of their status. The other stories are about the difficulties getting native workers and the need to apply for access to foreign workers. Apparently the process is slow - one farmer complains, but that's only because he left it too late - and hiring illegal workers is certainly quicker, but has there every been a case of farmers being unable to harvest their crops in the absence of illegal workers?
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"

Last edited by baron; 4th November 2018 at 03:01 PM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:02 PM   #209
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Careful, Stacyhs ... baron carefully put 'illegal' into his question. Probably in order to elicit a response that refers to seasonal immigrant pickers rather than *illegal* immigrant pickers.

It's a 'preemptive gotcha' tactic. Cunning. Or he could just be plain wrong ... dunno.
I think he'll do just fine answering the question without your help.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:40 PM   #210
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Was there ever a country that left its crops rotting in the fields for want of illegal immigrants?
This one, the one YOU live in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6-ogO9fS4

...and the issue is not "for want of illegal immigrants". The issue is "for want of workers", because if immigrants (illegal or not, undocumented or not) are not around to do these jobs, and you think that urban living people of ANY colour or creed are going to leave their comfortable lives in the city and rush off en-masse to rural America to pick crops, you are living in Delusionsville.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:48 PM   #211
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This one, the one YOU live in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6-ogO9fS4

...and the issue is not "for want of illegal immigrants". The issue is "for want of workers", because if immigrants (illegal or not, undocumented or not) are not around to do these jobs, and you think that urban living people of ANY colour or creed are going to leave their comfortable lives in the city and rush off en-masse to rural America to pick crops, you are living in Delusionsville.
I was very clear in my question. I went on to explain it again as I suspected the poster who replied had simply skipped over the relevant word. Now I've done both these things, tell me, what's your excuse?
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 04:17 PM   #212
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,898
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Wait, what? You think I hate black people?

Where in earth did you ever get that idea?
He doesn't have that idea at all. It's just a sad attempt at disparaging one's opponent.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 04:34 PM   #213
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,516
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Well cited, but I should have stressed the word 'illegal'. The first story is about illegal workers who essentially vanished overnight on account of their status. The other stories are about the difficulties getting native workers and the need to apply for access to foreign workers. Apparently the process is slow - one farmer complains, but that's only because he left it too late - and hiring illegal workers is certainly quicker, but has there every been a case of farmers being unable to harvest their crops in the absence of illegal workers?
You agree that the first cite answers your question, then proceed to pretend the question was not answered and ask it again?

Last edited by wareyin; 4th November 2018 at 04:36 PM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 04:39 PM   #214
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I was very clear in my question. I went on to explain it again as I suspected the poster who replied had simply skipped over the relevant word. Now I've done both these things, tell me, what's your excuse?
I have no excuse, except to play you at your own game.

You are attempting to narrow the scope of the debate to fit the argument YOU want to make, when the real issue is much wider than the limitations you are attempting to place on in it.

Nobody, BUT NOBODY here is arguing that illegal immigrants ought to be allowed to flood into the country unhindered. The argument is that Der Trumpenfuhrer, his Stormtroopers and the rest of the idiots that make up his political base, want White America; they want NO IMMIGRANTS WHATSOEVER that have a skin colour other than white.

If this caravan was white Canadians approaching the 49th parallel from the North, do you think Der Trumpenfuhrer would be sending 15,000 combat troops to the border?
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 06:23 PM   #215
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,859
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Well cited, but I should have stressed the word 'illegal'. The first story is about illegal workers who essentially vanished overnight on account of their status. The other stories are about the difficulties getting native workers and the need to apply for access to foreign workers. Apparently the process is slow - one farmer complains, but that's only because he left it too late - and hiring illegal workers is certainly quicker, but has there every been a case of farmers being unable to harvest their crops in the absence of illegal workers?
Here ya go.

Quote:
Since agriculture is the industry that's most reliant on undocumented workers.
.

Quote:
...the Department of Agriculture estimates that about half of the nation's farmworkers are unauthorized, while 15 percent of those in construction lack papers – more than the share of legal immigrants in either industry.
The dairy farmers are also hurt by the lack of undocumented workers:

Quote:
Increasingly, dairy farms such as those in New York rely on workers from Mexico and Guatemala, many of whom are believed to be undocumented. Currently, there is no visa program for year-round workers on dairy farms, so the precarious status of these workers poses serious concerns for the economic viability of the dairy industry.

In recent research conducted by the Cornell Farmworker Program, 30 New York dairy farmers told us they turned to undocumented workers because they were unable to find and keep reliable U.S. citizens to do the jobs. That's in part because farm work can be physically demanding, dirty and socially denigrated work. More importantly, it is one the most dangerous occupations in the U.S.

A study commissioned by the dairy industry suggested that if federal labor and immigration policies reduced the number of foreign-born workers by 50 percent, more than 3,500 dairy farms would close, leading to a big drop in milk production and a spike in prices of about 30 percent. Total elimination of immigrant labor would increase milk prices by 90 percent.
Quote:
The U.S. fruit, vegetable and meat industries are similarly at risk, and without the help of unauthorized workers, production would drop and consumers would likely see higher prices.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal...workers-taxes/
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 06:33 PM   #216
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 41,362
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not at all. What I'm pointing out is that there are consequences to not only the farmers, but to the general public as well
Of course. Any time a business is forced to increase wages for its workers because of a tighter labor market, that is likely to increase the price of the products or services that business provides to consumers. That's econ 101. There's nothing special about farming in that regard.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 08:28 PM   #217
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course. Any time a business is forced to increase wages for its workers because of a tighter labor market, that is likely to increase the price of the products or services that business provides to consumers. That's econ 101. There's nothing special about farming in that regard.
You are entirely missing the point. Its not whether they have to pay higher wages, its whether they can even get workers at all.

Urban dwellers would rather remain in their urban environments, on social security, looking for a job that suits them, than up-sticks and travel hundreds, in some cases, thousand of miles to to do dangerous, manual work in what can amount to terrible conditions.

NO ONE WANTS TO DO THIS WORK!
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 08:49 AM   #218
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,706
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
That is exactly how it works.
Wait, you seriously think that the Earth's population is somehow a factor in determining the odds of an event occurring?

Wow...
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 08:52 AM   #219
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You agree that the first cite answers your question, then proceed to pretend the question was not answered and ask it again?
That is one ridiculous argument. His workers essentially disappeared over night. That's what cause him the problem. If his workers had all been 5'8" tall, could we then conclude that it is impossible for him to harvest his crops with workers who are shorter or taller?
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 08:57 AM   #220
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have no excuse, except to play you at your own game.

You are attempting to narrow the scope of the debate to fit the argument YOU want to make,
Well do excuse me for making the argument I want to make as opposed to the one you find easy to dismiss. Sorry if my outrageous behaviour caused you consternation.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
when the real issue is much wider than the limitations you are attempting to place on in it.

Nobody, BUT NOBODY here is arguing that illegal immigrants ought to be allowed to flood into the country unhindered. The argument is that Der Trumpenfuhrer, his Stormtroopers and the rest of the idiots that make up his political base
Der Trumpenfuhrer and his Stormtroopers? Jesus wept.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
, want White America; they want NO IMMIGRANTS WHATSOEVER that have a skin colour other than white.

If this caravan was white Canadians approaching the 49th parallel from the North, do you think Der Trumpenfuhrer would be sending 15,000 combat troops to the border?
I neither know nor care.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 09:01 AM   #221
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,811
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wait, you seriously think that the Earth's population is somehow a factor in determining the odds of an event occurring?

Wow...
Thank you for illustrating this error more succinctly than I could have done.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 09:04 AM   #222
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,898
Originally Posted by baron View Post



I neither know nor care.
You don't care whether Trump thinks skin color is relevant regarding the caravan?

I could think of many reasonable answers to that question, but "I don't care if the President is motivated by prejudice" surprises me. Perhaps you didn't mean it like that?
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:11 AM   #223
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,727
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This one, the one YOU live in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6-ogO9fS4

...and the issue is not "for want of illegal immigrants". The issue is "for want of workers", because if immigrants (illegal or not, undocumented or not) are not around to do these jobs, and you think that urban living people of ANY colour or creed are going to leave their comfortable lives in the city and rush off en-masse to rural America to pick crops, you are living in Delusionsville.
I see a marketing potential, rent out the prisoners in the concentration camps. That is the perfect republican solution.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:14 AM   #224
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,727
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course. Any time a business is forced to increase wages for its workers because of a tighter labor market, that is likely to increase the price of the products or services that business provides to consumers. That's econ 101. There's nothing special about farming in that regard.
Yet for some reason all those former coal miners are not leaving appalachia and becoming itinerant fruit pickers. Trump really should have been encouraging that. GIve up those outdated american ideals of things reserved for the moneyed classes like home ownership and live a proper life again.

I mean think of how crazy it is that the middle class can not even afford 1 live in servant anymore? How is that middle class? We have totally lost what it means to be middle class.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:16 AM   #225
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 41,362
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You are entirely missing the point. Its not whether they have to pay higher wages, its whether they can even get workers at all.

Urban dwellers would rather remain in their urban environments, on social security, looking for a job that suits them, than up-sticks and travel hundreds, in some cases, thousand of miles to to do dangerous, manual work in what can amount to terrible conditions.

NO ONE WANTS TO DO THIS WORK!
No. Nobody wants to do that work at wages that illegal immigrants are willing to do that work. You can always find workers, if you're willing to pay them enough.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:27 AM   #226
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 41,362
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wait, you seriously think that the Earth's population is somehow a factor in determining the odds of an event occurring?

Wow...
You seem to have confused the probability of a specific outcome for one sample with the total number of those outcomes across the entire population. The former may be population-independent, but if it is, then the latter cannot be.

We know that more than two people have been killed by refugees. So either this statistic is simply wrong, or it doesn't apply globally. And if it doesn't apply globally, then what sub-population does it apply to? And how was this probability determined? The three-digit precision suggests to me very strongly that this is a bull **** number someone pulled out of their ass, and not an actual statistically valid probability.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:29 AM   #227
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,727
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. Nobody wants to do that work at wages that illegal immigrants are willing to do that work. You can always find workers, if you're willing to pay them enough.
Well stagnant pay is a broad problem with america right now as well, but conservatives are generally for that.

But the point is that in some areas you really can't find people.

See

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/65789...igertown-texas

But around the country finding workers is a major problem and has been for a long time, especially in manufacturing. Now of course maybe wages should be going up, but with the way the tariffs have screwed manufacturers they are not exactly swimming in excess capital.

There are simply jobs that lots of people just don't want to do, and a lot of them are in the food packing industry. And raising the cost of food is not exactly an easy thing to do either given how much we spend to keep food prices low and stable.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:40 AM   #228
SuburbanTurkey
Muse
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 852
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well stagnant pay is a broad problem with america right now as well, but conservatives are generally for that.

But the point is that in some areas you really can't find people.

See

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/65789...igertown-texas

But around the country finding workers is a major problem and has been for a long time, especially in manufacturing. Now of course maybe wages should be going up, but with the way the tariffs have screwed manufacturers they are not exactly swimming in excess capital.

There are simply jobs that lots of people just don't want to do, and a lot of them are in the food packing industry. And raising the cost of food is not exactly an easy thing to do either given how much we spend to keep food prices low and stable.


A sudden, widespread change in the labor market, like ICE raiding a large employer and sending half it's workforce away, may take time to adjust. There could certainly be short term shortages. These employers can cry me a river while their business grinds to a halt because their supply of desperate, cheap, illegal labor suddenly dries up.

As far as the welder example, skilled labor doesn't show up overnight. It's unreasonable to think people will invest time training for skills that don't pay well. A shortage of workers means that employers will have to respond to rectify the problem. They could increase their pay. They could start a recruiting process to relocate qualified help. They could train apprentices or coordinate with technical colleges. Or they can sit on their hands, crying about their lost illegal laborers that don't report workplace injuries and don't demand overtime pay.

American citizens will do any job, no matter how dirty or dangerous, if the compensation is right. Maybe the business isn't viable without artificially depressed wages, in which case the business will fail. Such is life.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th November 2018 at 10:47 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:41 AM   #229
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 19,761
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You are entirely missing the point. Its not whether they have to pay higher wages, its whether they can even get workers at all.

Urban dwellers would rather remain in their urban environments, on social security, looking for a job that suits them, than up-sticks and travel hundreds, in some cases, thousand of miles to to do dangerous, manual work in what can amount to terrible conditions.

NO ONE WANTS TO DO THIS WORK!
People have a habit of following the money.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:42 AM   #230
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,480
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course. Any time a business is forced to increase wages for its workers because of a tighter labor market, that is likely to increase the price of the products or services that business provides to consumers. That's econ 101. There's nothing special about farming in that regard.
As a small, potentially relevant point to the idea that, labour prices may simply be going up because the number of available workers is down. Essentially, the urban jobless or under-employed may quite simply be unable to get to these wonderful high-paying rural opportunities.

People need to be able to get to work - and that either requires:

a. personal transportation;
b. public transportation;
c. transportation provided by the employer; and
d. a mix of the above.

The urban poor are not likely to own a vehicle and aren't therefore going to get to those farming jobs even 10-15 km from the edge of the city where they live, let alone to areas where the need for such labour is greatest..
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:00 AM   #231
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. Nobody wants to do that work at wages that illegal immigrants are willing to do that work. You can always find workers, if you're willing to pay them enough.
Of course, but can you do that with a pay rate that doesn't make the whole thing unprofitable.

If I were living a nice, comfortable life in the east in a modest job paying, say $25/hr, I would not be prepared to up-sticks to Iowa to work on a farm for less than $100/hr. That would be the value I place on turning my life upside down for profit. I'm pretty much sure most people would feel that way.

People say that "agriculture" is just another industry not different from any other. This is wrong. Agriculture is a PRIMARY industry, a country cannot survive and prosper without it.

This argument always reminds me of the joke about the human body parts arguing over who should be boss.

"I should be in charge", said the brain, because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen".

"I should be in charge", said the blood, "because I circulate oxygen all over, so without me you'd all waste away".

"I should be in charge", said the stomach, "because I process food and give all of you energy".

"I should be in charge" said the legs, "because without me, you would have no mobility"

"I should be in charge" said the arms, "because without me, you would not be able to perform tasks"

"I should be in charge", said the rectum, "because I'm responsible for waste removal".

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight. Within a few days, the brain went fuzzy, the stomach was bloated, and the blood was toxic, the legs became shaky and the arms became weak. Eventually the other body parts gave in. They all agreed that the rectum should be the boss.

Well, I see agriculture as the rectum from this story. Without it in fully functioning condition, the country doesn't eat - its that simple.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:09 AM   #232
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
There is an enormous difference between working in the oilfields and working on a farm. The oil industry's ability to pay big wages is legendary thanks to the backing of massive corporations.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:28 AM   #233
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,456
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Of course, but can you do that with a pay rate that doesn't make the whole thing unprofitable.

If I were living a nice, comfortable life in the east in a modest job paying, say $25/hr, I would not be prepared to up-sticks to Iowa to work on a farm for less than $100/hr. That would be the value I place on turning my life upside down for profit. I'm pretty much sure most people would feel that way.

People say that "agriculture" is just another industry not different from any other. This is wrong. Agriculture is a PRIMARY industry, a country cannot survive and prosper without it.

This argument always reminds me of the joke about the human body parts arguing over who should be boss.

"I should be in charge", said the brain, because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen".

"I should be in charge", said the blood, "because I circulate oxygen all over, so without me you'd all waste away".

"I should be in charge", said the stomach, "because I process food and give all of you energy".

"I should be in charge" said the legs, "because without me, you would have no mobility"

"I should be in charge" said the arms, "because without me, you would not be able to perform tasks"

"I should be in charge", said the rectum, "because I'm responsible for waste removal".

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight. Within a few days, the brain went fuzzy, the stomach was bloated, and the blood was toxic, the legs became shaky and the arms became weak. Eventually the other body parts gave in. They all agreed that the rectum should be the boss.

Well, I see agriculture as the rectum from this story. Without it in fully functioning condition, the country doesn't eat - its that simple.
You eat through the rectum?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:56 AM   #234
CaptainHowdy
Muse
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 900
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Wait, what? You think I hate black people?

Where in earth did you ever get that idea?
Here you're going off on White people who won't do the type of work that people of your ilk believe Hispanics are uniquely qualified to do. It's a variation of "We need Mexicans to do the jobs Americans wont't do" canard. Well, the US population isn't only White. We have a large part of our population that are descended from slaves brought here from Africa. In fact, considering the huge wave of immigration from Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century--long after the slave trade and slavery itself had been abolished--most black people in this country have deeper roots than a large percentage, maybe even a majority, of white people here.

Black Americans are a subset of the Americans who refuse do the dangerous, back breaking menial labor for barely subsistence wages that you believe are fantastic employment opportunities for the women and children in the caravan.

Pretending that African Americans (and Asian Americans and native Americans and every other type of American) don't even exist is racist, probably even genocidal. Racism and genocide are usually considered to be rooted in hate.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:58 AM   #235
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,793
I don't understand why Trump is building new camps. Aren't the FEMA death camps left over from the Clintons still in good enough shape?

I demand my dystopian deathcult oppression be run economically.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:15 PM   #236
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 19,016
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't understand why Trump is building new camps. Aren't the FEMA death camps left over from the Clintons still in good enough shape?

I demand my dystopian deathcult oppression be run economically.
And all those Walmarts in Texas where they were going to be locking people up during Jade Helm!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:19 PM   #237
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 19,761
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There is an enormous difference between working in the oilfields and working on a farm. The oil industry's ability to pay big wages is legendary thanks to the backing of massive corporations.
It illustrates people will travel for pay. Does it not?
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:22 PM   #238
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,898
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Here you're going off on White people who won't do the type of work that people of your ilk believe Hispanics are uniquely qualified to do. It's a variation of "We need Mexicans to do the jobs Americans wont't do" canard. Well, the US population isn't only White. We have a large part of our population that are descended from slaves brought here from Africa. In fact, considering the huge wave of immigration from Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century--long after the slave trade and slavery itself had been abolished--most black people in this country have deeper roots than a large percentage, maybe even a majority, of white people here.

Black Americans are a subset of the Americans who refuse do the dangerous, back breaking menial labor for barely subsistence wages that you believe are fantastic employment opportunities for the women and children in the caravan.

Pretending that African Americans (and Asian Americans and native Americans and every other type of American) don't even exist is racist, probably even genocidal. Racism and genocide are usually considered to be rooted in hate.
You should be ashamed of this scurrilous, baseless attack.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:28 PM   #239
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,727
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And all those Walmarts in Texas where they were going to be locking people up during Jade Helm!
Those are all full of concentration camps for kids now though. They needed larger centralized concentration camps to move them from the walmarts.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:47 PM   #240
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You should be ashamed of this scurrilous, baseless attack.
No worries. I'm immune to his bigotry.

You see, I know I'm dealing with a Holocaust Denier. What could be more scurrilous than that?
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.