ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 17th November 2018, 10:30 PM   #361
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

nm
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 17th November 2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: wrong thread
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 11:55 PM   #362
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Check out the way Putin reined in the Russian oligarchs.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's similar.

Oh, I don't know. I get the impression that with Putin, there is a strong possibility of real punitive measures being exacted (by the hidden death squad in the other room ), whereas Trump has Twitter and tantrums to do his dirty work.
Old 18th November 2018, 06:33 AM   #363
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Kirsten Fontenrose, the woman responsible for the US's policy towards Saudi Arabia who has been pushing for harsh sanctions in response to Khashoggi's murder, has resigned
Old 18th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #364
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
If Trump has chosen Whitaker to act through he's screwed. Legions of lawyers and judges stand ready to pounce.
The other theory is that Whitaker is only intended to be Ts eyes and ears, feeding him info about the progress of the investigation.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 11:01 AM   #365
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Old 18th November 2018, 11:10 AM   #366
fagin
Philosopher

You'd think he has people who know things and could advise him....
Old 18th November 2018, 11:13 AM   #367
Tero
Graduate Poster

Finns about raking leaves:
We don’t rake leaves
https://www.is.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000005903733.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/R...0%2Fframe.html
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 11:17 AM   #368
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
If I hadn't seen this on his actual Twitter feed I would not have believed it. I still don't.
Old 18th November 2018, 11:21 AM   #369
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If I hadn't seen this on his actual Twitter feed I would not have believed it. I still don't.
Why not? Trump doesn't need to believe it, just throw more accusations, and his base will pick them up.

I like* Joe Morgue's "Human Gish Gallop" analogy, even though it's more like a standard one here

*OK maybe the wrong word. It's giving me nightmares, but it is pithy and accurate.

ETA: Here it is

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I said it before but you almost have to be impressed. Trump is doing a Gish Gallop... in real life. That shouldn't be possible but damn if he isn't pulling it off.

He's a child who when you catch his hand in the cookie jar he poops on the floor and when you start to yell to at him for pooping on the floor he rapes the dog.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 18th November 2018 at 11:23 AM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 11:28 AM   #370
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Holy Schitt!
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 11:29 AM   #371
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

@Paul2
Quote:
The other theory is that Whitaker is only intended to be Ts eyes and ears, feeding him info about the progress of the investigation.
If so, I seriously doubt Trump's ability to make good use of the information.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 11:47 AM   #372
smartcooky
Philosopher

Poor old Dolt 45, he doesn't even understand the Laws of the country of which he is President.

The appointment of Attorney General requires Senate approval.

The appointment of a Special Counsel does not.

Special Counsel's are appointed by the DoJ under 28 CFR 600. Congress grants the DoJ that power under 28 USC 510, so in effect, Congress has already pre-approved the appointment.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 12:06 PM   #373
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

That sounds pretty desperate.
Old 18th November 2018, 12:09 PM   #374
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Bwahahaha.... Rake America Great Again!

RAGA!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 12:33 PM   #375
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Claims that it was just a typo in 3... 2... 1...
Old 18th November 2018, 12:38 PM   #376
fagin
Philosopher

Schiff's response.

Old 18th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #377
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
If so, I seriously doubt Trump's ability to make good use of the information.
Hopefully Mueller is smart enough not to release most of it to Whitaker.
Old 18th November 2018, 01:33 PM   #378
Stacyhs
Philosopher

As if we needed any more evidence that Trump has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. That tweet was just pathetic.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 01:42 PM   #379
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hopefully Mueller is smart enough not to release most of it to Whitaker.
Hopefully, Mueller is smart enough to not take any direction at all from Whitaker until his legal authority to act as AG is confirmed by a court.
Old 18th November 2018, 01:44 PM   #380
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Why not? Trump doesn't need to believe it, just throw more accusations, and his base will pick them up.
Doesn't that make him look ineffectual, though? Will the base wonder, as some here have, why Trump, with a GOP Senate, has an unconfirmed acting attorney general?

I don't understand that myself.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 01:46 PM   #381
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Poor old Dolt 45, he doesn't even understand the Laws of the country of which he is President.

Special Counsel's are appointed by the DoJ under 28 CFR 600. Congress grants the DoJ that power under 28 USC 510, so in effect, Congress has already pre-approved the appointment.
I forget the vote - extending the term of FBI director? - but the Senate voted 100-0 to OK Mueller at one point.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 01:56 PM   #382
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The thin-skinned narcissist in chief again showing disrespect for the military as well as one of their best,
In the interview, Trump engaged in a tense exchange with Fox News' Chris Wallace when the host brought up McRaven, a vocal Trump critic who led the operation in 2011 during former President Barack Obama's administration.
"Bill McRaven, retired admiral, Navy Seal, 37 years, former head of US Special Operations..." Wallace started.
"Hillary Clinton fan," Trump said, cutting off Wallace.
"Special Operations ..." Wallace continued.
"Excuse me, Hillary Clinton fan," Trump said.
"Who led the operations," Wallace added, "commanded the operations that took down Saddam Hussein and that killed Osama bin Laden, says that your sentiment is the greatest threat to democracy in his lifetime," a reference to McRaven's criticisms of Trump's attacks on the media.
"OK, he's a Hilary Clinton backer and an Obama-backer, and frankly ... wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that? Wouldn't it have been nice? You know, living -- think of this -- living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan."
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/p...ven/index.html

How often can this president piss on the core values of his base without drawing criticism from them?
Old 18th November 2018, 02:12 PM   #383
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The thin-skinned narcissist in chief again showing disrespect for the military as well as one of their best,
In the interview, Trump engaged in a tense exchange with Fox News' Chris Wallace when the host brought up McRaven, a vocal Trump critic who led the operation in 2011 during former President Barack Obama's administration.
"Bill McRaven, retired admiral, Navy Seal, 37 years, former head of US Special Operations..." Wallace started.
"Who led the operations," Wallace added, "commanded the operations that took down Saddam Hussein and that killed Osama bin Laden, says that your sentiment is the greatest threat to democracy in his lifetime," a reference to McRaven's criticisms of Trump's attacks on the media.
"OK, he's a Hilary Clinton backer and an Obama-backer, and frankly ... wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that? Wouldn't it have been nice? You know, living -- think of this -- living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan."

How often can this president piss on the core values of his base without drawing criticism from them?
Apparently, indefinitely.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 02:13 PM   #384
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Easy, McRaven is a Hilary Clinton fan, Trump told us. How can he be pissing on the core values of his base when he is talking about a Hilary fan who should have got Bin Laden a lot sooner and got him alive?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 02:14 PM   #385
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

McRaven replied to trumps comments

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else. I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times. I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime. When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 02:19 PM   #386
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
McRaven replied to trumps comments

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else. I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times. I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime. When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."
And Trump will do something outrageous like RakeAGA so as to drown out that reasonable criticism.

Then when the rake jokes offend him, he'll poop on the WH floor.
Old 18th November 2018, 02:34 PM   #387
Minoosh
Philosopher

What I wonder is, how much evidence does Fox News need that Trump is bat-**** crazy?
Old 18th November 2018, 03:06 PM   #388
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Catch and Release is an obsolete term. It is now Catch and Detain. Illegal Immigrants trying to come into the U.S.A., often proudly flying the flag of their nation as they ask for U.S. Asylum, will be detained or turned away. Dems must approve Border Security & Wall NOW!"
Old 18th November 2018, 03:33 PM   #389
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, and Turkey has given the US Government a recording of the murder, but Mr Trump said he would not listen to it "because it's a suffering tape, it's a terrible tape".

"I don't want to hear the tape, no reason for me to hear the tape," Mr Trump said in an interview with Fox News Sunday.

Mr Trump also said he wants to maintain a close alliance with Saudi Arabia despite Khashoggi's death and questioned the alleged role of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is known as MbS and is the kingdom's de facto ruler.

"He told me that he had nothing to do with it," Mr Trump said, adding that "many people" also said the Crown Prince had no knowledge of the killing.

The interview was taped on Friday, hours before government sources said the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had briefed the Trump administration on the murder and its belief that the Crown Prince ordered it.

Mr Trump said on Saturday that the CIA assessment was "very premature" and in the interview that aired on Sunday he said it may never be possible to know who ordered Khashoggi's murder.
Linky.
Old 18th November 2018, 03:42 PM   #390
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Retired Adm. William McRaven on Sunday stood by his previous statement that President Donald Trump's attacks on the news media represent "the greatest threat to democracy" after the President dismissed him as a "Hillary Clinton backer" in an interview that aired on Fox News.

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven, who oversaw the operation that killed Osama bin Laden, told CNN. "I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times."

"I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime," McRaven said, referencing remarks he made about Trump last year. "When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."

"Bill McRaven, retired admiral, Navy SEAL, 37 years, former head of US Special Operations..." Wallace started.

"Who led the operations," Wallace added, "commanded the operations that took down Saddam Hussein and that killed Osama bin Laden, says that your sentiment is the greatest threat to democracy in his lifetime."

Linky.
Old 18th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #391
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

More from FOX interview:

Quote:
"I did not know that," Trump said, when asked if he was aware prior to appointing him that Whitaker had argued Mueller was coming close to exceeding his authority. "I did not know he took views on the Mueller investigation as such."
Linky.
Old 18th November 2018, 03:55 PM   #392
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump taking the side of a dictator over that of his own intelligence agencies? That's a surprise. It's not like he's ever done that before.
Old 18th November 2018, 05:06 PM   #393
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
More from FOX interview:

Quote:
"I did not know that," Trump said, when asked if he was aware prior to appointing him that Whitaker had argued Mueller was coming close to exceeding his authority. "I did not know he took views on the Mueller investigation as such."
Linky.
The Liar in Chief earns his title once again. Whitaker has been on Fox criticizing the M. investigation. We all know Trump watches Fox religiously. Anyone who thinks Trump doesn't lie at almost every turn is an idiot.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 05:12 PM   #394
Apathia
Illuminator

As long as these "core values" are merely words used for the sake of social bonding. They will piss on them themselves if the new verbiage takes their place or their common cult leader pisses on them.

Remember how far right media blowhards pissed on "empathy?"

"See! I'm one of the good folk! I'm pissing on myself!"

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 05:35 PM   #395
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I’m choosing to respond to your post, though there have been countless others like it over the years along the lines of ”I can’t believe Trump doesn’t understand that yadda, yadda...” My guess is that he likely does comprehend many details of these matters, but his overall goal in demonstrating what to many might appear to be comical levels of ignorance is to plant & sow the seeds of doubt among the base (and maybe even independents). PR is the name of his game, and I don’t mean Puerto Rico.

But he could also be dense as an anvil, the two possibilities not mutually exclusive.
Old 18th November 2018, 05:45 PM   #396
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/R...0%2Fframe.html

Bwahahaha.... Rake America Great Again!

RAGA!
That Twitter thread is comedy gold.
Old 18th November 2018, 07:43 PM   #397
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Will the base wonder, as some here have, why Trump, with a GOP Senate, has an unconfirmed acting attorney general?
His base doesn't have the capacity to wonder about things like this. They lack the capacity for any amount of critical thinking, they just follow and obey anything as long as it pleases Trump and makes "libruls" upset.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2018, 08:09 PM   #398
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
You'd think he has people who know things and could advise him....
You are assuming he is advisable.
When one thinks other countries are afraid of one because one has a big brain, when one thinks one is the smartest person in the room, when one is suffer8ng from malignant Narcissitic Personality Disorder, then one doesnt listen to advisers.
Old 18th November 2018, 08:31 PM   #399
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Isn't Trump supposed to be the guy who was "Too rich to be bought "?
Old 18th November 2018, 08:37 PM   #400
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
That Twitter thread is comedy gold.
Yeah, it's pretty good. This one was my favorite:

"Tune in next week when Trump explains how we can prevent earthquakes with gigantic u-bolts..."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics