ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th December 2018, 06:57 PM   #2041
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why in the hell would Trump salute a NK general? Under no circumstances is that appropriate. What a doofus.
Remember that you are dealing not with a part-way competent adult but a wilful and ignorant five-year-old. Someone saluted him, so no cognitive processing, he just salutes back.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:21 PM   #2042
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I remember during the primary that HRC ran into Carly Fiorini's (or whatever her last name is) husband at a voting prexinct. They exchanged pleasantries, and when she left, she said, "Say hi to Carly for me."

So she can be perfectly pleasant, even with people ahe disagrres with vehemently.
HRC was well liked by Republican lawmakers that she worked with. Many who would turn around and bash her on right wing radio. Both Hillary and Bill compartmentalized personal and political. She had lots of friends on both sides of the aisle.

Trump though is on another planet when it comes to civility, so I don't believe she will be anything but curt towards him.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:30 PM   #2043
Bob001
Philosopher

So she can be perfectly pleasant, even with people ahe disagrres with vehemently.
Most professional politicians are perfectly capable of functioning as decent human beings. They can disagree with each other, and still believe (or at least pretend to) that everybody wants what's best for America, that they just have different opinions of how to get there, and the established political/legal process is the best way to find a path forward. Only Trump sees the world like a toddler: Everything is about him, and it's all personal.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 10:20 PM   #2044
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why in the hell would Trump salute a NK general? Under no circumstances is that appropriate. What a doofus.
The general saluted him and as soon as Trump’s arm started to move, the General put his hand forward as if to shake hands. Trump, who bragged that he didn’t need to prepare for the trip, then saluted the general. There is a video of the event. Of course, over in NK, they just used this single frame as propaganda that the US acknowledges NK’s superiority.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:27 PM   #2045
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Most professional politicians are perfectly capable of functioning as decent human beings. They can disagree with each other, and still believe (or at least pretend to) that everybody wants what's best for America, that they just have different opinions of how to get there, and the established political/legal process is the best way to find a path forward. Only Trump sees the world like a toddler: Everything is about him, and it's all personal.
Exactly, another example of this perspective is that within each party, there is an expectation that if you are loyal to the party, then the party will be loyal to you (barring scandals, indictments, and such). But for President Trump, it is always a one-way street - everyone is expected to be loyal to him, but he offers no loyalty in return. And once he decides to cut you loose, then it is almost certainly followed up with slurs against your character. You are not allowed to simply walk away; you have to be discredited and maligned.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:03 PM   #2046
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Hmm, despite my earlier words, and while thinking about it, I think that's probably appropriate for the sitting President. While not military, he is the commander-in-chief; but then again, civilian control of the military is supposed to be one of our principals. So I dunno, could see it either way. Couldn't say with any authority, though, with regard to what official protocol should be there.

And really, there's more than enough valid criticisms of our current President that we can skip the small stuff
I agree with your last statement. It's been said here a number of times, including by me.

I didn't post it as a criticism. I did notice that some people were critical of the issue, but I was curious about how veterans viewed it and your observation is enlightening, so thanks.
Old 7th December 2018, 03:17 AM   #2047
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Arizona, together with our Military and Border Patrol, is bracing for a massive surge at a NON-WALLED area. WE WILL NOT LET THEM THROUGH. Big danger. Nancy and Chuck must approve Boarder Security and the Wall!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 7th December 2018 at 03:18 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 03:18 AM   #2048
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Half an hour before the bomb threat to CNN Trump Tweeted

FAKE NEWS - THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:22 AM   #2049
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...47384438087680

Quote:
Andrew McCabe, who was targeted by Trump relentlessly until Sessions fired him earlier this year just days before he was set to retire/eligible to receive a pension, opened an obstruction of justice investigation into Trump after Comey's firing, per @CNN.
Old 7th December 2018, 05:44 AM   #2050
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

In what should not be a surprise for anyone, anywhere, it appears that Trump has been using undocumented workers at his property

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/u...d-workers.html

The problem with using undocumented workers is that they tend to get pissed off when you constantly insult them, and then come forward, even knowing they will be deported.

Didn't one of Clinton's AG nominees get zorched because it was discovered that she had not paid taxes for a housekeeper, or something like that?
Interesting story, although, as you say, not very surprising.

I especially liked this tidbit;
Quote:
That same year, she said, Mr. Trump had an outburst over some orange stains on the collar of his white golf shirt, which Ms. Diaz described as stubborn remnants of his makeup, which she had difficulty removing.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 05:46 AM   #2051
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Arizona, together with our Military and Border Patrol, is bracing for a massive surge at a NON-WALLED area. WE WILL NOT LET THEM THROUGH. Big danger. Nancy and Chuck must approve Boarder Security and the Wall!
Apparently, we are facing a surge of lies as well. I cannot decide what children’s story best describes DJT: The President Who Cried Wolf or The President’s New Clothes.
Old 7th December 2018, 05:53 AM   #2052
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I was thinking about the differences between GHWB and DJT and I suddenly remembered That old, old cartoon Goofus and Gallant.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:12 AM   #2053
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Trump Tweets

Massive surge? Danger?
Old 7th December 2018, 06:13 AM   #2054
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Breaking: White House chief of staff John Kelly expected to resign soon

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:14 AM   #2055
Belz...
Fiend God

BREAKING: Trump will send more Twitter nonsense soon.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:15 AM   #2056
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

What's he have against legal immigration? Too brown for him?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:23 AM   #2057
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What's he have against legal immigration? Too brown for him?
They might sneak in and vote Democrat.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:54 AM   #2058
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I was going to say that, but isn't it possible in the US military for a salute without a cover?
Yes. If you're in uniform (cover or not), the salute should be the standard military salute. If you're in civilian dress, it should be the hand over heart salute.

Whether you have a cover or not is immaterial.

Back on the main subject that started this, though, snopes posted an article:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...al-hand-heart/

Long story short: Rated as Mostly False. The picture was selective.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:55 AM   #2059
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I agree with your last statement. It's been said here a number of times, including by me.

I didn't post it as a criticism. I did notice that some people were critical of the issue, but I was curious about how veterans viewed it and your observation is enlightening, so thanks.
No worries, my final comment was more a general aside to the thread, not intended as specific to you. I just quoted your post as a start point for my soapboxing
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:09 AM   #2060
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Obama coffee-cup-salute got about 3 weeks of constant outrage, while Bush hold-dog-salute got crickets.
What a pant-load. The Deep Media at Fox has been trying to undermine Trump since Day One. A recent example...

Old 7th December 2018, 07:12 AM   #2061
3point14
Pi

Basically, Bob wants rich people to be able to buy elections, just as he wants rich people to be able to buy absolutely every damn thing on the planet.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:14 AM   #2062
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Basically, Bob wants rich people to be able to buy elections, just as he wants rich people to be able to buy absolutely every damn thing on the planet.
Bob doesn't like laws, regardless of consequences.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:18 AM   #2063
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
What does this have to do with Trump?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:23 AM   #2064
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
They might sneak in and vote Democrat.
twice.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:23 AM   #2065
fagin
Philosopher

Trump doesn't like laws neither, it would appear.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:33 AM   #2066
fagin
Philosopher

Heather Nauert cited D-Day as the height of U.S.-German relations. Now she’s headed to the U.N.

“When you talk about Germany, we have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert, the State Department’s spokeswoman, said in June. She added: “Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.cb7e76146374
Old 7th December 2018, 07:43 AM   #2067
Armitage72
Master Poster

Trump is expected to name Heather Nauert as the next UN ambassador. People may recall that she's the former Fox News host (surprise!) who cited D-Day during a discussion of the strong relationship between the US and Germany.

Quote:
“When you talk about Germany, we have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert, the State Department’s spokeswoman, said in June. She added: “Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government.”

Ninja'd while digging up the articles. Darn.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:53 AM   #2068
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
twice.
You underestimate them.

They go into their clown car, come out with a mustache or hat, and they can vote over and over. After all, anyone can vote in US elections, right?

Old 7th December 2018, 08:12 AM   #2069
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The number of active controversies is utterly overwhelming. In the age of Trump, it's impossible to give proper attention. In normal / semi-normal times...

The election fraud in NC would be seismic.
The power grab in WI would be seismic.
Rudy tossing Trump under the bus would be seismic.
Nominating a bimbo for UN Ambassador would be seismic.
Trump's non-secure cell phone would be seismic.
Declaring trade deals that don't exist (FAKE DEALS!) would be seismic.
"Falling in love" with Dear Leader would be seismic.
Declaring there is no longer a nuclear threat from NK would be seismic.
Russia steamrolling Ukraine would be seismic.
Pipe bombs sent to ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE would be seismic.
Suggesting that political opponents be locked up would be seismic.

I could go on at astounding length.

Last edited by varwoche; 7th December 2018 at 08:18 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 08:36 AM   #2070
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

twice.
On the plus side, all the disguises they’ll be buying will have to stimulate the economy.
Old 7th December 2018, 09:16 AM   #2071
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, we are facing a surge of lies as well. I cannot decide what children’s story best describes DJT: The President Who Cried Wolf or The President’s New Clothes.
It's like trying to figure out if what he's saying is not true because he's a compulsive liar or because he's an idiot with verbal diarrhea. Just accept the best answer is both and move on.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 09:26 AM   #2072
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Heather Nauert cited D-Day as the height of U.S.-German relations. Now she’s headed to the U.N.
Well, you can't deny that without Germany, D-Day would not have happened.

I wonder how the senate republicans will react. Will they actually approve her? Will they try to force it through with the current senate seating (risky, when you have Flake making noises about Saudi Arabia) or wait until after January when they have a larger senate majority to work with?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 09:32 AM   #2073
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

All hands to repel boarders!
Old 7th December 2018, 09:45 AM   #2074
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce that Heather Nauert, Spokeswoman for the United States Department of State, will be nominated to serve as United Nations Ambassador. I want to congratulate Heather, and thank Ambassador Nikki Haley for her great service to our Country!

I am pleased to announce that I will be nominating The Honorable William P. Barr for the position of Attorney General of the United States. As the former AG for George H.W. Bush....

....and one of the most highly respected lawyers and legal minds in the Country, he will be a great addition to our team. I look forward to having him join our very successful Administration!
Old 7th December 2018, 09:52 AM   #2075
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So there's a CNN article that says insiders are saying watching the state funeral for Bush has made Trump "introspective" about how his own presidency will be looked back on.

Which would, no snark, be something I would welcome if I had even the tiniest bit of hope that Trump was capable of any level of honest self reflection or self improvement.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 11:04 AM   #2076
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So there's a CNN article that says insiders are saying watching the state funeral for Bush has made Trump "introspective" about how his own presidency will be looked back on.

Which would, no snark, be something I would welcome if I had even the tiniest bit of hope that Trump was capable of any level of honest self reflection or self improvement.
Well, lets see... after the funeral and the moment of "introspective" he has:
- Nominated a former Fox news person as UN Ambassador
- Nominated someone for AG who actually things the Uranium 1 "scandal" is more worthy of investigation than Trump/Russian
- Repeated his 'enemy of the people'

Maybe he's worried that people looking back at his presidency will think that he wasn't enough of an idiot and wanted to make sure everyone knew how horrible he was

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 11:10 AM   #2077
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe he's worried that people looking back at his presidency will think that he wasn't enough of an idiot and wanted to make sure everyone knew how horrible he was
Donald Trump the "Biggest Scandal Yet? Hold my beer...." of Presidents.

Old 7th December 2018, 11:13 AM   #2078
3point14
Pi

I would hazard a guess that he has never been introspective in his whole life and that he doesn't know what it means.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:09 PM   #2079
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.cb7e76146374
I bet she also thinks the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 12:11 PM   #2080
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He's not.
Just tead Rex Tillerson's comments on Trump; he hates reading and cannot focus. The man is a ignoramus,and worst of all, thinks he is a genius.
There is no cure for stupidity.
His choice of a TV Personality as UN ambassador shows the shallowness of his mind. It's all a TV Show for him.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th December 2018 at 12:13 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics