ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

In this thread Trump critics compliment the president

Well, Trump...

He...

hrm.

Oh! Trump has managed to get white supremacists to publicly expose themselves.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I thought the way he was able to laugh at the situation when he found himself being laughed at during that UN speech was endearing. The room warmed to him.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Venom
Graduate Poster

He's right about NATO allies.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

I think a suit that fit him properly would complement him well.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:04 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

1. I don't totally hate that he's gotten other major NATO countries to put a little more money toward NATO's shared defense (in other words the entire point of NATO existing) concept. Now this is hardly a big deal or the kind of thing he should really be focusing on but, in and off itself... it's a net positive.

2. He promoted the US Cyber Command to full combatant command. This is the one movie I will actually say I fully "Like." The government has been far too long in seeing our nation's cyber defense structure as a valid, integrated part of national defense and getting rid of the US Cyber Command's weird half structure dual hat setup that made doing anything impossible because you had two completely separate chains of command is a huge step in fixing that.

3. The lifetime ban on White House employees lobbying for foreign powers was... I won't lie like a sort of "Holy crap you mean they could do that before?" thing for me.

4. It's silly and stupid... but I don't hate the way he decorated the White House for Christmas. I've said before that The White House being perpetually stuck in a limbo state of never changing "Quaint Americana on top of Classic Greco-Roman" look that's never allowed to evolve beyond "What if Norman Rockwell threw up on chiseled marble" never set well for me. I won't say I personally liked it on an aesthetic level but seeing a weird, sorta post-modern, almost avante garde look... I didn't hate it.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th November 2018 at 02:11 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Even if I hate the rhetoric he's used to do it, he has been very effective in getting people to vote for him even if it's against their best interests, to believe what he wants them to believe, and to defend him.
Old 16th November 2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Imhotep
Muse

He's potentially forced a positive change in the media, and in how many people are interested in politics, maybe even increased voter turnout going forward. He was sort of like a third party candidate, so maybe we'll start seeing more viable alternatives to Dems and Repubs.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:12 PM   #8
rdaneel
Illuminator

I've said this before, but Donald Trump will probably solve global warming...

with nuclear winter.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
He's potentially forced a positive change in the media, and in how many people are interested in politics, maybe even increased voter turnout going forward.
Along similar lines, Trump has also brought out more conversations about what consent means and what constitutions sexual predatory behavior.
Old 16th November 2018, 02:17 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As I said way back when get got elected I think that it was time for an outsider in politics. I still make no excuses for my opinion that the two tribes getting locked into a perfect stagnant wizards duel with each other was doing (and still is) long term damage to the country.

In the abstract I welcome a outsider with no real allegiance to any of the Washington politics. I just sorely wish it had been pretty much literally anybody but Donald Trump.

It's nice to have a politician without a filter who actually says things that aren't carefully constructed, focus grouped speeches. Shame this particular filter was holding back nothing but a firehouse of stupidity and hatred but...

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:20 PM   #11
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
I think a suit that fit him properly would complement him well.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:38 PM   #12
calebprime
moleman

Mr. Trump shares my taste in steak: overdone and with ketchup. Can't be all bad.
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:39 PM   #13
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As I said way back when get got elected I think that it was time for an outsider in politics. I still make no excuses for my opinion that the two tribes getting locked into a perfect stagnant wizards duel with each other was doing (and still is) long term damage to the country.

In the abstract I welcome a outsider with no real allegiance to any of the Washington politics. I just sorely wish it had been pretty much literally anybody but Donald Trump.

It's nice to have a politician without a filter who actually says things that aren't carefully constructed, focus grouped speeches. Shame this particular filter was holding back nothing but a firehouse of stupidity and hatred but...
Well said I always enjoy your posts, Joe.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:44 PM   #14
eeyore1954
Philosopher

The tax reform has made for more work for accountants.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:07 PM   #15
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

He should be known as the "education president".

Before Trump, I thought nazis were bad people. But now, thanks to trump, I know they are fine people. See? That's knowledge I didn't have before.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:07 PM   #16
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

He did approve some positive steps in sentencing reform recently.
Old 16th November 2018, 03:11 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He's an amateur politician with no real ideology.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #18
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Marvelous trolling skills.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:25 PM   #19
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

You probably won't believe this, but I really tried to think of something.
Old 16th November 2018, 03:49 PM   #20
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump is rather good at fooling some of the people all of the time.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:56 PM   #21
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

From what I've seen so far I'm in favor of the changes to Title IX enforcement. There could be details which change that for me, and even if not that small gain is no where remotely close to making Trump 'worth it' in the grand scheme of things. But to go with the title of the thread I'd say that was a positive change.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't sweat much for a fat bloke.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:37 PM   #23
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

While I despise his relationship with Putin and Kim Jong-un,but that means my biggest fear is greatly lessened, no huge destructive possible nuclear war during his term. Mostly just Iran left as a possibility. So, we haven't launched "ze missiles" yet, which is good, I guess.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 16th November 2018 at 04:41 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 07:52 PM   #24
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I have a legitimate compliment for Trump, but first I'm waiting for a legitimate criticism in the other thread. Maybe ahhell's comment could count, but he says he's not a Trump supporter and I'm definitely a Trump critic, so I'll wait for one of the faithful to stop praising him with faint damnation.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 08:05 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump is a fabulous example of how not to do politics. He is the "extreme Tiger Team" for doing real-life drill on stress-testing the US constitution, law and government services at all levels. He is also a great example for having mental health services ramped up again.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 08:51 PM   #26
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

He's been great for the spray tanning business.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:08 PM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I believe he can be credited with the increase in voter turnout in the recent elections.
Old 16th November 2018, 11:43 PM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He is unleashing untold amounts of creativity in his critics, and will continue providing material for possibly hundreds of books and thousands of research papers.
Old 17th November 2018, 02:13 AM   #29
Stacyhs
Philosopher

He has increased people's interest in politics. People who never paid much attention to politics can't take their eyes off what's happening in DC since the 2016 campaign.

Trump has increased the demand for, and secured the jobs of, psychologists and counselors since his election.

Trump has succeeded in uniting other world leaders and gaining sympathy for the American people unlike anything we've seen since 9/11.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 03:04 AM   #30
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

For those saying they agree with Trump's Title IX changes, can you explain what you like? All the references to changes I can find are that he's made it so that colleges can be more lax when it comes to sexual assault, and to remove protection from transgender people.
Old 17th November 2018, 03:11 AM   #31
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. I don't totally hate that he's gotten other major NATO countries to put a little more money toward NATO's shared defense (in other words the entire point of NATO existing) concept. Now this is hardly a big deal or the kind of thing he should really be focusing on but, in and off itself... it's a net positive.
He didn't, though. He just claimed he did.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:05 AM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I think that he has managed to unite Democrats more than any leader of the Democratic Party has done so previously.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 04:29 AM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a carbon-based life form.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 06:36 AM   #34
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Most politicians keep their ugly, socially unacceptable thoughts to themselves. Trump is transparent with his misogyny, bigotry, his desire to have sex with his daughter, his love of brutal dictators, and his hostility to democratic institutions.
Old 17th November 2018, 07:56 AM   #35
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump is a carbon-based life form.
Silicon-based life forms need some respect too.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
While I despise his relationship with Putin and Kim Jong-un,but that means my biggest fear is greatly lessened, no huge destructive possible nuclear war during his term. Mostly just Iran left as a possibility. So, we haven't launched "ze missiles" yet, which is good, I guess.

I like the fact that he realizes we need to start working to normalize relations with North Korea. Of course, this is offset by the fact that he's gone about that in just about the worst way possible, and has also, at the same time, taken an axe to all the work Obama did to start normalizing relations with Iran.

But seriously, we need to start realizing that the "sanctions and hectoring" plan just doesn't work in most cases. Even with countries where we were on fairly good terms (like South Africa) it took decades for sanctions to finally have an effect. I'm not entirely sure what we should be doing instead, but what we are doing clearly isn't working.
Old 17th November 2018, 09:04 AM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Probably the best comb-over in history.
Old 17th November 2018, 09:45 AM   #38
Flanh Flah
Scholar

An excellent example of the fact that money cannot buy class.
Flanh Flah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 09:57 AM   #39
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I just realized we were supposed to complement him, not compliment him. I'll have to think about how to do that.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:00 AM   #40
Civet
Graduate Poster

He appointed Scott Gottlieb as head of the FDA who stepped up regulations on homeopathic drugs and has been generally much better at his role than I would have expected for a Trump appointee. As far as I can tell, Trump hasn't tried to micromanage him and has allowed a capable man to do his job.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics