ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 27th November 2018, 08:51 PM   #1
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Bewildered

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/polit...gut/index.html

Quote:
"They're making a mistake because I have a gut and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else's brain can ever tell me."
I believe President Trump just said something that is true. I truly agree that his brain might not be influenced by other brains. It may be solely influenced by a purveyor of ****.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 09:57 PM   #2
Minoosh
Philosopher

Well he's right - he does have a gut, a fairly substantial one.

I'm surprised he isn't pinning this on Democrats, but maybe that will come.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 12:04 AM   #3
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Well, besides his gut which is smarter than anyone else's brain, he has a "very high level of intelligence" which tells him climate change is just a Chinese hoax. After all, it was very cold on the East Coast this Thanksgiving
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Imhotep
Muse

“I’m a gut player,”

GWB
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:57 AM   #5
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

There's probably more collective sentience from his intestinal bacteria than there is from his entire brain.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 09:45 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
There's probably more collective sentience from his intestinal bacteria than there is from his entire brain.
Since the individual in question utilizes his cranium the same way as he does his colon, there are likely just as many digestive flora in the skull as there are in the guts. Therefore the reasoning power is equal in both places, and he can boast of having twice as much guts as everyone else. Actually four or five times as much, considering the vastness of his equatorial circumference. This is the compliment thread, isn't it? I don't want to say anything unkind.
Old 28th November 2018, 10:22 AM   #7
CORed
Philosopher

The trouble is, his gut feelings are usually just gas or ****.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:23 AM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Since the individual in question utilizes his cranium the same way as he does his colon, there are likely just as many digestive flora in the skull as there are in the guts. Therefore the reasoning power is equal in both places, and he can boast of having twice as much guts as everyone else. Actually four or five times as much, considering the vastness of his equatorial circumference. This is the compliment thread, isn't it? I don't want to say anything unkind.
I think the vast majority of the time, his cranium is inside his colon.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Why?

Why, by this point, is anyone still bewildered or surprised by what he says?

He's the same person (persona, maybe?) as during the campaign. He's no more circumspect or temperate now that he's president.

It's sad that some of his supporters actually applaud this behaviour! Gotta poke a finger in the eye of some lieberals, don'tcha know..

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I donít mean this in a bad way, but is there a stupider person alive?
Old 28th November 2018, 10:48 AM   #11
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Several, upthread
Old 28th November 2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Except that... he's not stupid. Again, I'm not sure why people are surprised. He has a certain cunning used when dealing wih people, getting what he wants, etc.

He continuously makes ignorant statements, but not all of them are attributable to actual ignorance (I'm sure some are, but it's sometimes hard to suss out which are which).

Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 12:11 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
Except that... he's not stupid. Again, I'm not sure why people are surprised. He has a certain cunning used when dealing wih people, getting what he wants, etc.

He continuously makes ignorant statements, but not all of them are attributable to actual ignorance (I'm sure some are, but it's sometimes hard to suss out which are which).
What Jimbo said. I've said here many times that I don't think he's necessarily stupid, but he is the most profoundly ignorant person I've ever heard of. And you can't tell where the ignorance ends and the dishonesty begins. I don't think he can, either.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:16 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Let's make all decision based on our gut feelings rather then evidence and facts. That always works out well.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 12:17 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What Jimbo said. I've said here many times that I don't think he's necessarily stupid, but he is the most profoundly ignorant person I've ever heard of. And you can't tell where the ignorance ends and the dishonesty begins. I don't think he can, either.
Trump is a huckster, pure and simple.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 12:28 PM   #16
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Since the individual in question utilizes his cranium the same way as he does his colon, .

They may do the similar things, but his cranium spews crap in much greater volume then his colon.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:36 PM   #17
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Stupid and cunning aren't complete opposites.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:50 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Well he's right - he does have a gut, a fairly substantial one.

I'm surprised he isn't pinning this on Democrats, but maybe that will come.
You OBVIOUSLY haven't seen the glowing reviews that all of his doctors have given him.

He doesn't have a gut, he's the most in shape POTUS we've ever had.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 01:53 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am no good at parodies, but somebody could do a great parody of the Rodgers and Hart classic song "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" about the Trump regme.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:56 PM   #20
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Stupid and cunning aren't complete opposites.
Fine. Do you prefer capable over cunning? Who's smarter, the skeptic, or the snakeoil salesman winning over the crowd? Who's more capable?

Beware of branding others as stupid. If nothing else, it can blunt perception of danger. Further, it makes one just as guilty of ignorant gross generalizations!

Old 28th November 2018, 01:58 PM   #21
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You OBVIOUSLY haven't seen the glowing reviews that all of his doctors have given him.

He doesn't have a gut, he's the most in shape POTUS we've ever had.
His medical tests are all way POSITIVE!
Old 28th November 2018, 02:19 PM   #22
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Fine. Do you prefer capable over cunning? Who's smarter, the skeptic, or the snakeoil salesman winning over the crowd? Who's more capable?

Beware of branding others as stupid. If nothing else, it can blunt perception of danger. Further, it makes one just as guilty of ignorant gross generalizations!
Stupid can be dangerous too.
Old 28th November 2018, 02:25 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Typical, predictable, pathologic, narcissistic symptoms: blame someone else for anything negative.

And this:
Stupid can be dangerous too.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th November 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 02:44 PM   #24
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that Trump is stupid at all, he is ignorant about a lot of topics, and because of his narcissism he refuses to learn from anyone else, and so he remains ignorant about a lot of topics. Then when he speaks on those topics he just makes up rubbish that "feels right" to him, and because his supporters eat it up, he just keeps on going with it because he knows it works.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 02:53 PM   #25
Imhotep
Muse

Kind of like some middle managers in the IT industry...
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I don't think that Trump is stupid at all, he is ignorant about a lot of topics, and because of his narcissism he refuses to learn from anyone else, and so he remains ignorant about a lot of topics. Then when he speaks on those topics he just makes up rubbish that "feels right" to him, and because his supporters eat it up, he just keeps on going with it because he knows it works.
Sometimes his vocabulary is that of a not very bright person.
Old 28th November 2018, 03:17 PM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Well it makes sense since he obviously doesn't use his brain much and it's no secret that his gut has been doing the talking all along.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 03:19 PM   #28
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Intentionally stupid is worse than unintentionally stupid.
Old 28th November 2018, 03:35 PM   #29
The Shrike
Illuminator

He's the same person (persona, maybe?) as during the campaign.
And as during the preceding 30 years or so of his public life. I have no memory of a time that I've known of this jackwad when I wasn't disgusted by his boorish, crass, tacky, ignorant, manipulative, slimy persona. Anyone who wasn't familiar with him before the campaign certainly saw that on display routinely.

They voted for him anyway because something something emails.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #30
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
ďIím a gut player,Ē

GWB
But you know what? Despite the many things he did which we might disagree with, say the Iraq war, he wasn't nearly so impetuous as the current President.

I thought that W was a terrible president. He had his moments, to be sure. Immediately after 9/11 he was honestly stellar. He worked hard to not make it us against Islam, and for that I respect him.

But he also made serious mistakes, including the whole Iraq war. I didn't understand that at all.

Still, I pine for the days of W. Because I think that he was somewhat thoughtful, somewhat reasonable. I think he made bad mistakes on occasion, but they weren't utterly random or transparently self-interested. He actually had a thought or two.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 03:54 PM   #31
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
But you know what? Despite the many things he did which we might disagree with, say the Iraq war, he wasn't nearly so impetuous as the current President.

I thought that W was a terrible president. He had his moments, to be sure. Immediately after 9/11 he was honestly stellar. He worked hard to not make it us against Islam, and for that I respect him.

But he also made serious mistakes, including the whole Iraq war. I didn't understand that at all.

Still, I pine for the days of W. Because I think that he was somewhat thoughtful, somewhat reasonable. I think he made bad mistakes on occasion, but they weren't utterly random or transparently self-interested. He actually had a thought or two.
I said at the time that GWB's greatest strength was that he was willing to listen to people who were smarter and knew more than he did (although I normally didn't agree with them of course).

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 04:02 PM   #32
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So... smart comes down to a vocabulary test? I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced Trump is stupid, either.

He's done and said things in public which seem:
- Ignorant
- Dishonest
- Inflammatory
- Incoherent (due to being)
- Extemporaneous...

... and I'm sure you can think of many more, but I don't think he's stupid (at least, in the ability to solve puzzles, etc.).

Old 28th November 2018, 04:14 PM   #33
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

So... smart comes down to a vocabulary test? I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced Trump is stupid, either.

He's done and said things in public which seem:
- Ignorant
- Dishonest
- Inflammatory
- Incoherent (due to being)
- Extemporaneous...

... and I'm sure you can think of many more, but I don't think he's stupid (at least, in the ability to solve puzzles, etc.).
Have we any evidence of him solving a puzzle?
Old 28th November 2018, 04:21 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I think Trump is of average intelligence but too narcissistic to recognize it. His extreme narcissism is the root of his "stupid" behavior.
Saying that, his limited vocabulary, broken sentences, need to repeat things, and frequent wandering of topic give rise to great concern regarding declining mental fitness.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 04:33 PM   #35
Jimbo07
Illuminator

You've got me there!

He could very well actually be stupid, and I have no evidence of him solving puzzles, but he managed to get himself elected to the highest office in the land, so no doubt, has some competencies.

Old 28th November 2018, 04:46 PM   #36
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

You've got me there!

He could very well actually be stupid, and I have no evidence of him solving puzzles, but he managed to get himself elected to the highest office in the land, so no doubt, has some competencies.
His competency is saying things that a substantial number of people agree with, and appearing wealthy and successful.

ETA: ...and, oh yes, his other competency was not being Hillary.

Last edited by LSSBB; 28th November 2018 at 05:00 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 05:55 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

His competency is saying things that a substantial number of ignorant and/or stupid people agree with, and appearing wealthy and successful.

ETA: ...and, oh yes, his other competency was not being Hillary.
FTFY
Old 28th November 2018, 08:49 PM   #38
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Puzzles? He's still working on "Umbrellas. How do they work?"

But he did a pretty good job on last weekend's Sunday Times puzzle.... "How to ignore the Global Warming report and spin it so Sarah's daddy's bible-thumping followers still vote for me?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 11:02 PM   #39
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bright people tend to have better vocabs because they tend to read a lot. Trump isn't known for his interest in reading other people's opinions and work, unless they relate directly to him.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 11:16 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

He's not stupid. Stupidity implies a brain that is either functioning improperly or is simply very low quality. Trump has no brain, ergo he cannot be stupid. So his "gut instinct" is probably right. That's the only functioning cognitive piece of him that demonstrably remains.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 28th November 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics