ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags George H.W. Bush , obituaries

Old 30th November 2018, 09:56 PM   #1
smartcooky
Philosopher

George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Breaking News on MSNBC

Huffpost link

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b080eddf568e59

The last WW2 serviceman to serve as POTUS
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th November 2018 at 09:59 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

The last WW2 serviceman to serve as POTUS
That says a lot.

I wonder if they'll invite Trump to the funeral.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

George W Bush Goonnee

Bit of a shame

Used to think he was an idiot, but he grew on me since they Orange One arrived and Bush's reactions to him

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/42355...ush-dies-at-94

Edit: Could a kindly mod please change the title to Bush Snr?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 30th November 2018 at 10:18 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:09 PM   #4
fromdownunder
Philosopher

... and hope it doesn't rain.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:12 PM   #5
deadrose
Master Poster

Sorry, Cullen, it's W's daddy, George Herbert Walker Bush that just died.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:16 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The last Republican president to be a gentleman. Not as in "most recent", but actually last, I fear.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:17 PM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Sorry, Cullen, it's W's daddy, George Herbert Walker Bush that just died.
I always get the initials mixed up

Should have put Bush Snr
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:18 PM   #8
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The last Republican president to be a gentleman. Not as in "most recent", but actually last, I fear.
THIS!

This man was the epitome of what it means to give an actual lifetime of service to your country.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th November 2018 at 10:20 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:23 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And then there is the spelling of Gone. This thread title is a full trainwreck.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:24 PM   #10
Myles
Scholar

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Bit of a shame
Been happening to lots of us lately so it seems.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:25 PM   #11
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Four words: Lee Atwater, Willie Horton. He may have been a gentleman, but the 1988 campaign was one of the dirtiest ever fought and set the tone for future campaigns to come.

I could, however, easily get behind his war on broccoli.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:26 PM   #12
Cain
Straussian

He cheated in his marriage like a gentleman. He grabbed ass like a gentleman. He was a war criminal gentleman.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:29 PM   #13
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
He cheated in his marriage like a gentleman. He grabbed ass like a gentleman. He was a war criminal gentleman.

Oh cain
You've done it again!
Old 30th November 2018, 10:30 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Peasants. I was referring to social class, not pleasant behavior.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:31 PM   #15
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

While I didn't always agree with his policies, GHWB was a decent President, and probably would have been a 8-year termer if the Reagan Economy hadn't tipped over and left him holding the bag. He did have a lot of hard decisions that he had to make throughout his 4 years, and I think he got most of them right, though I also think he should have pushed harder with the UN to finish what they started in Iraq instead of letting it drag on into another war 12 years later.

Sad to see him go.

Now just 4 living past Presidents.

I do wonder if Trump will get an invite this time.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:32 PM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Also it's in the wrong section, and there's already a thread (correctly titled) in the correct section.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:33 PM   #17
kellyb
Philosopher

Peasants. I was referring to social class, not pleasant behavior.
I figured there was a catch.

Also, I'm (seriously) with Cain on that dude.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:36 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It is a rough written translation of "died" which comes from an ancient, nearly forgotten form of an Aramaic language called Trafikruqui.

I would respectively ask you to not make fun of my ancestral heritage just because we spell different

Old 30th November 2018, 10:36 PM   #19
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That says a lot.

I wonder if they'll invite Trump to the funeral.
I doubt it. The guy hates dogs. He doesn't laugh when things are funny or cry when things are sad. He isn't just heartless, he is soulless. He couldn't say something heartfelt if his life depended on it. The last person on Earth anyone would want to speak at their funeral.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:38 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Also it's in the wrong section, and there's already a thread (correctly titled) in the correct section.
Apologies. Didn't see it.

Though I would argue it deserves social and current.

But merge away

Old 30th November 2018, 10:38 PM   #21
Lambchops
Muse

One less US Repugnican? Good riddance.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:49 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
One less US Repugnican? Good riddance.
By today's standards, Bush was definitely a RHINO, probably an evil Leftist, especially because of his denouncing of Trump.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:51 PM   #23
carlitos
"más divertido"

Stay classy, USA Politics posters. It's late in the US so here's hoping that most of you are drunk right now.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:55 PM   #24
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
By today's standards, Bush was definitely a RHINO, probably an evil Leftist, especially because of his denouncing of Trump.
The man was literally Karl Marx.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:57 PM   #25
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Stay classy, USA Politics posters. It's late in the US so here's hoping that most of you are drunk right now.
Meh. I prefer war heroes who don't die.

Last edited by Lambchops; 30th November 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 11:37 PM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

There are several women who can testify to the gentlemanly way he groped them. Maybe you are speaking relatively.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 12:18 AM   #27
Cain
Straussian

Too late to edit: He barfed in the Prime Minister's lap like a gentleman.
Old 1st December 2018, 01:27 AM   #28
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Bit of a shame

Used to think he was an idiot, but he grew on me since they Orange One arrived and Bush's reactions to him

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/42355...ush-dies-at-94

Edit: Could a kindly mod please change the title to Bush Snr?
I ninja'd ya by 12 minutes

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post12520007
Old 1st December 2018, 05:19 AM   #29
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sh-pkg-vpx.cnn

A good watch. He stands in stark contrast to what we have now.

Last edited by Craig4; 1st December 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:34 AM   #30
Tero
Graduate Poster

Not sending Trump to the funeral. Would not be prudent.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:36 AM   #31
Tero
Graduate Poster

List of the one term presidents of recent times:
Ford
Carter
Bush
Trump

Note: only one Democrat
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:42 AM   #32
Parsman
Muse

I disagreed with almost all the policies of HW Bush and his son, but he was a human being who has died and as my old mum used to say you don't speak ill of the dead. So lets leave it to historians in the future to decide on the good or the bad of his life and presidency and for now show respect to a family who have lost a loved one.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:58 AM   #33
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

I wonder what El Presidente will do to attract attention back to himself?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 05:59 AM   #34
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
I disagreed with almost all the policies of HW Bush and his son, but he was a human being who has died and as my old mum used to say you don't speak ill of the dead. So lets leave it to historians in the future to decide on the good or the bad of his life and presidency and for now show respect to a family who have lost a loved one.
Your mom was wrong. Historians today can decide on the good and bad of his life.

ETA: heck, I'm excited to dance on Trump's grave.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st December 2018 at 06:29 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 06:10 AM   #35
Tero
Graduate Poster

I think a lot of the Reagan Gorbachev talks in Helsinki was Bush working out the details. He had a good working role with Gorbachev and the Finnish host Koivisto.

later, he and Gorbachev sign a nuclear arms treaty
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...31-1991-743837
Old 1st December 2018, 09:17 AM   #36
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A helping Nixon attempt to obstruct justice gentleman.

Quote:
This didn’t ever stick to George HW Bush... maybe because these audio tapes have just been collecting dust for the last four decades. But George Bush was brought in to a potentially criminal effort organized and directed by the then-President of the United States Richard Nixon to obstruct an ongoing investigation into his Vice President.

And George Bush did it.

U.S. Attorney George Beall ended up donating his papers to Frostburg State University in Maryland. And if you go to those archives, you can now see an official “memo-to-file” that U.S. Attorney George Beall wrote that Summer of 1973. In that memo to file, it is made quite clear that after the White House came up with this plan, George H.W. Bush did, in fact, contact U.S. Senator Glenn Beall and he tried to have Senator Glenn Beall get word to his little brother the U.S. Attorney about this investigation.

This is what he wrote in the file: “With respect to conversations with my brother Glenn, the discussions were most superficial and very guarded. He occasionally mentioned to me the names of persons who had been to see him or who had called him with respect to [this] investigation. Names of persons that I remember him telling me about included Vice President Agnew ... and George Bush.”

Now, there are a few amazing things here.

First, of course, is that a future U.S. President participated in what was likely a criminal scheme to obstruct justice.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 09:21 AM   #37
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

He compared favorably to Trump in a similar way to how Mussolini compared favorably to Hitler. It wasn't that he was good, he just wasn't that bad.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 09:27 AM   #38
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

“Read my lips, no new taxes.”
Old 1st December 2018, 09:33 AM   #39
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

May the heavens forgive me but... Bush II impressed me as ignorant, in over his head, fact-challenged, and as a person who made one of the biggest mistakes in modern history, one that will echo across time. At the same time he impressed me as a "gentleman" and a decent human being.
Old 1st December 2018, 11:26 AM   #40
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

He started tweeting from hell: https://twitter.com/georgeisinhell/s...39961531322368
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics