ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 2nd December 2018, 08:31 PM   #161
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm a bit jealous of people who, rather that admit Dear Leader did something wrong, can twist and contort themselves in their efforts to excuse his rancid behaviour, so that they more resemble a pretzel than a person. Adorable! Fantastic even!

Hooboy!
A 20-page attention whoring fest under the guise of an argument about "perjury traps" and people pleading guilty to not-crimes is an oddity the first time.

I grew disenchanted with it about the dozenth time, something like 8 or 9 months ago.

YMMV :9
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:49 PM   #162
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Link is a year and a half old.
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:58 PM   #163
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Trump is in trouble because of his vanity, greed, dishonesty, and lack of regard for anything other than himself.

He’s in more trouble because he’s been able to get away with stuff up to now, enthusiastically aided and abetted by a cynical coalition of criminals, kleptocrats, crackpots, con men, Klansmen, wife-beaters, assorted nincompoops, trolls, and traitors. But he’s never had to deal with a team of smart, disciplined, incorruptible prosecutors and investigators like Mueller’s. These aren’t cheaply-bought mooks like Bondi and Paxton. They’re not interested in owning Twitter for the day, or cable ratings or book deals. They’re all about getting to the bottom of it. Trump thinks he can out-Fox them. That’s precious.
Agreed.

Please pardon the ignorance of this question, but doesnt one issue related to legal activities by the president have to do with whether or not he reported all these activities and all these contacts accurately in federal election disclosure forms?
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:21 PM   #164
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Link is a year and a half old.
Mmm. Thanks for that. Still, I'm wondering if that will be included in a final report as part of the attempts to make quid pro quo happen.
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:40 AM   #165
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You mean on the show that I posted about here
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...36029032710145

Quote:
It took two years, and required surviving a gauntlet of major-media hitpieces, but this feed's money-for-sanctions relief "theory of the case," developed in early '17 and since then retweeted half million times across scores of lengthy threads, is now becoming conventional wisdom
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:55 AM   #166
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Barb McQuade
‏Verified account @BarbMcQuade

Hey, Mueller, look over here. @Maddow has found the collusion. Follow the sanctions. If this whole cable news show thing doesn’t work out for you, Rachel, you have a real future in the FBI
High praise indeed. This is why Trump sycophants and the alt-right hate her so much... she is way, way smarter than any of them.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:58 AM   #167
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread on the *other* Trump Tower Moscow deal
Old 3rd December 2018, 04:03 AM   #168
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Barb McQuade
‏Verified account @BarbMcQuade

Hey, Mueller, look over here. @Maddow has found the collusion. Follow the sanctions. If this whole cable news show thing doesn’t work out for you, Rachel, you have a real future in the FBI
High praise indeed. This is why Trump sycophants and the alt-right hate her so much... she is way, way smarter than any of them.
The point of the tweet is that this isn't actually new, it's what Abramson has been saying for 2 years now, which is only just now starting to be taken seriously by the mainstream media.

Not to take away from Maddow - I've never watched her stuff so don't know a lot about her - but to note that people praising her and other media pundits for connecting the dots are ignoring that the same dots have actually been connected for quite a long while.
Old 3rd December 2018, 04:05 AM   #169
smartcooky
Philosopher

And here's a nice, well explained timeline that puts the key "water cooler" moments together so plainly that even a child could understand it.

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/...ine/index.html
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 04:16 AM   #170
smartcooky
Philosopher

The point of the tweet is that this isn't actually new, it's what Abramson has been saying for 2 years now, which is only just now starting to be taken seriously by the mainstream media.

Not to take away from Maddow - I've never watched her stuff so don't know a lot about her - but to note that people praising her and other media pundits for connecting the dots are ignoring that the same dots have actually been connected for quite a long while.
Well, I do watch her show and have done so for at least the last two years - Ari Melber's as well since late last year.

Maddow has been on this Trump/Russia thing since before he was elected; I don't think there is any TV News host who knows this stuff better than she does. She had Dmitry Peskov nailed as a key figure back in 2016, and about that time, she interviewed a linguist (can't remember his name) who worked out that Guccifer 2.0 wasn't Romanian as he claimed, but Russian.

In any case, I think she needs to get Abramson on her show ASAP.

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd December 2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 3rd December 2018, 05:46 AM   #171
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

That would be counter-productive. It would let the Trumpists write them both off in one stroke of conspiracy theorizing.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:31 AM   #172
The Shrike
Illuminator

And here's a nice, well explained timeline that puts the key "water cooler" moments together so plainly that even a child could understand it.

A child yes, but a disingenuous grifting Trumpster? Time will tell.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:10 AM   #173
fagin
Philosopher

How about a Little Puppy?
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:59 AM   #174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Michael Cohen asks judge for no Prison Time.” You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term? He makes up stories to get a GREAT & ALREADY reduced deal for himself, and get.....

....his wife and father-in-law (who has the money?) off Scott Free. He lied for this outcome and should, in my opinion, serve a full and complete sentence.

“I will never testify against Trump.” This statement was recently made by Roger Stone, essentially stating that he will not be forced by a rogue and out of control prosecutor to make up lies and stories about “President Trump.” Nice to know that some people still have “guts!”

Bob Mueller (who is a much different man than people think) and his out of control band of Angry Democrats, don’t want the truth, they only want lies. The truth is very bad for their mission!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:01 AM   #175
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
That actually sounds extremely unfair when you put it that way. It is targeting a disability.
Good God, Bob, I really try not to respond to you, because I think you're not really an honest arguer, but rather the worst extreme of devil's advocates.

But this takes the cake. Lying with impunity isn't a disability, it is a character flaw. I say that as a congenital liar (which, to be fair, means that perhaps you should doubt my word).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:07 AM   #176
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term?
"Taxis"?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:12 AM   #177
fagin
Philosopher

Taxis are for plebs. Important people have limos.

(Cohen ran a fleet of taxis.)
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:23 AM   #178
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Michael Cohen asks judge for no Prison Time.” You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term? He makes up stories to get a GREAT & ALREADY reduced deal for himself, and get.....

....his wife and father-in-law (who has the money?) off Scott Free. He lied for this outcome and should, in my opinion, serve a full and complete sentence.

“I will never testify against Trump.” This statement was recently made by Roger Stone, essentially stating that he will not be forced by a rogue and out of control prosecutor to make up lies and stories about “President Trump.” Nice to know that some people still have “guts!”

Bob Mueller (who is a much different man than people think) and his out of control band of Angry Democrats, don’t want the truth, they only want lies. The truth is very bad for their mission!
He's really scared, isn't he?

As for Stone, we'll see. Cohen said he'd take a bullet for Trump, and now here we are.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:25 AM   #179
Belz...
Fiend God

Terrified, as evidenced by his thought-stream on Twitter. Too many skeletons in too many closets.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:35 AM   #180
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Taxis are for plebs. Important people have limos.

(Cohen ran a fleet of taxis.)
Oh!
I assume there's a question mark over something to do with that.

Just seemed a bit random...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:37 AM   #181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

If Muller has the goods on Trump, then he doesn't have any need to trap him because the evidence will speak for itself already, In asking questions he's giving Trump the opportunity to tell his side and come clean about the matters. If he doesn't, and Muller has the goods, then it's not going to be a case of perjury landing on Trump, it's going to be all the evidence of every crime he's committed and every conspiracy he's been a part of.
That says it all. All the lying shows that they are hiding something much more serious. This is why the lying is a crime in of itself. An investigator's job is to get to the bottom of what happened. It's not to hang a scalp on the wall. Mueller, Comey and Rosenstein are ALL lifetime Republicans. So why would they be interested in getting Trump and his administration? The answer is they are not. But those three are all lifetime law enforcement professionals who know and understand when something stinks in Denmark.

I think it's quite interesting to compare the Trump investigation with the Hillary email investigation. The email investigation was politically motivated pushed by Republican politicians that the law enforcement professionals didn't think very highly of because they knew it was a nothinburger almost from day one. The law professionals were still going to do their jobs though. In contrast, the politicians in power wanted nothing to do with investigating Trump and his cabal, but all the cops could see that it was a **** show of crimes and illegal actions.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:38 AM   #182
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I think someone's lawyers gave him some bad news.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:44 AM   #183
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...19316319035392

Quote:
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/statu...22944152911872

Quote:
File under “18 U.S.C. §§ 1503, 1512”
https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/stat...26379484975106

Quote:
George is right. This is genuinely looking like witness tampering. DOJ (at least with a nonfake AG) prosecutes cases like these all the time. The fact it's done out in the open is no defense. Trump is genuinely melting down, and no good lawyer can represent him under these circs
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...22708013596672

Quote:
I’ve never heard a public official speak this way before Trump. This sounds like something the criminals I used to prosecute would say.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:06 AM   #184
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/sta...18019497996288

Quote:
NEW: Trump asked to appeal negative rulings in DC/MD emoluments suit. Judge said no. DOJ now plans to appeal anyway.
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:06 AM   #185
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I do watch her show and have done so for at least the last two years - Ari Melber's as well since late last year.

Maddow has been on this Trump/Russia thing since before he was elected; I don't think there is any TV News host who knows this stuff better than she does. She had Dmitry Peskov nailed as a key figure back in 2016, and about that time, she interviewed a linguist (can't remember his name) who worked out that Guccifer 2.0 wasn't Romanian as he claimed, but Russian.

I don't think that Maddow is necessarily more in the know than all the other journalists, but like smartcooky, I too have been a regular viewer of Maddow. What sets her apart from her colleagues is that in show after show she goes into all the minutiae and why each dot is important and how it connects to the others. It takes patience to watch her show because often she goes over and over and over certain points and you can get bored by it. But that is also the beauty of her show. You end up seeing clearly the picture all those pixels make.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:08 AM   #186
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/jerome_corsi/sta...34372062580738

Quote:
Corsi files the criminal complaint against Mueller, alleges bid to seek false testimony https://fxn.ws/2EaMciS #FoxNews The complaint my attorneys filed today w DOJ asking for replacement & investigation of politically-motivated & criminally-driven Mueller investigation
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:10 AM   #187
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1069635489542488065

Quote:
Jerome Corsi’s defense strategy is essentially that of an eight-year-old: “I’m not charged with a federal crime! YOU’RE charged with a federal crime.”

This is a terrible federal criminal defense strategy, or, in the context of Trump associates, a slightly above average one.
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1069637200373985280

Quote:
Seems like a good moment to rerun this series on whether “I filed a federal criminal complaint” means anything [no]
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:17 AM   #188
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Well, Trump should know about witness tampering since he's the first president to engage in it since Nixon (and Nixon's case wasn't for his own benefit).

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:21 AM   #189
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Quote:
You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term?
“Taxis"?

I’m now picturing Trump hailing a cab and Cohen jumping into it and being driven away, leaving Donnie standing on his own like an Argentinian president.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:08 AM   #190
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As for Stone, we'll see. Cohen said he'd take a bullet for Trump, and now here we are.
He obviously meant that he would accept ammunition donations to shoot Trump in the back, given the opportunity.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:22 AM   #191
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He obviously meant that he would accept ammunition donations to shoot Trump in the back, given the opportunity.
I don't think he's shooting Trump in the back. No, Trump can see the bullets coming as he peers down the barrel.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:29 AM   #192
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump Tweets

....his wife and father-in-law (who has the money?) off Scott Free.
Who is Scott Free, and why are Cohen's inlaws on him?
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:54 AM   #193
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is a fair point: https://twitter.com/normative/status...52211033100288

Quote:
Trump is demanding an outcome in a specific case from a judge, who he has the power to reward with appointment to higher office. The outcome he is demanding would, of course, have the effect of deterring other witnesses’ cooperation with Mueller.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:55 AM   #194
smartcooky
Philosopher

It seems beyond stupid for Trump to allege that Cohen is just 'making stuff up to get a lighter sentence'. He surely has to know that Mueller would not just take Cohen's word and gone ahead with the case against him without documentary evidence to back up what he has claimed.... (remember all those hundreds of recordings that Cohen made?)

Trumps tweeting is directed solely at his base; and they lap up Dear Leader's proclamations uncritically like a puppy laps up milk. They are the only ones stupid enough to believe any of the crap he spouts.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:56 AM   #195
Belz...
Fiend God

It seems beyond stupid for Trump to allege that Cohen is just 'making stuff up to get a lighter sentence'.
Yeah but Trump IS beyond stupid. I mean, he has his own category of idiocy.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:57 AM   #196
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/tschneiderlaw/st...52595042541568

Quote:
I've had multiple clients charged with witness intimidation for a hell of a lot less than what we're seeing from the Charlatan-in-Chief.
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:06 PM   #197
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I enjoy how this thread has degenerated into basically trolling twitter for tweets that people like and reposting them without comment.

www.twitter.com

Quote:
Trump Bad!
Solid jackson.
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:22 PM   #198
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It seems beyond stupid for Trump to allege that Cohen is just 'making stuff up to get a lighter sentence'. He surely has to know that Mueller would not just take Cohen's word and gone ahead with the case against him without documentary evidence to back up what he has claimed.... (remember all those hundreds of recordings that Cohen made?)

Trumps tweeting is directed solely at his base; and they lap up Dear Leader's proclamations uncritically like a puppy laps up milk. They are the only ones stupid enough to believe any of the crap he spouts.
Evidence for the last paragraph?

Oh, post #197
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:27 PM   #199
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I enjoy how this thread has degenerated into basically trolling twitter for tweets that people like and reposting them without comment.
I like that your posts to this thread are either absurd or dishonest.

Your President was constantly lying about his dealings with Russia while campaigning to become President. That he was selling the democratic sovereign nation of Ukraine to Putin's criminal dictatorship for financing from Russia. That he was willing to kickback to Putin a 50 million dollar penthouse.

Are you saying that this was neither criminal nor nefarious? Seriously? Or do believe that it is Cohen that is lying and not Trump? And out of curiosity, don't you think Trump has been engaged almost from day one of obstructing justice?

How is it that can continue to support this traitor?
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:27 PM   #200
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Evidence for the last paragraph?

Oh, post #197
My post that folks are lapping up Dear Leftists' proclamations uncritically like a puppy laps up milk and reposting tweets with zero comment is evidence that Trump's fans are doing likewise?

Hilarious!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics