ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 02:04 PM   #321
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Then I misunderstood.

I'm not sure what there is to compromise about with voters though.
Priorities, objectives, goals as a nation. All the things that play in to who ultimately gets elected as politicians. If you quit alienating the middle-ground voters, you're likely to win more seats in political positions, and accomplish more in the long run.

As it is, the Democratic side has a tendency toward insulting, mocking, and dismissing citizens. Citizens who otherwise might have landed just left of middle instead of just right of middle.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:05 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
At the moment, yes. One side is behaving quite a bit worse. That would be the side that refuses to listen and repeatedly and willfully casts their opponent as bigoted ignorant deplorables... and then insists that such commentary shouldn't be insulting because it's "reality".
You do see what the right elected, right?

So, did they know what they were electing and not care? Did they fool themselves and believe he was someone other than himself? Did they miss the blatant personality disorder that was on full display for more than a year leading up to the election? Would you say that was denial and wishful thinking?

Did they really think Clinton was a bad choice? To that I say, you bought the lie, hook line and sinker because there is no evidence she is all the negative things that she's been made out to be. But even if you believed all that, the choice was still between a seriously pathologic narcissist and a standard politician.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #323
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Yes, that's it, good job!
You're welcome.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:08 PM   #324
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

As it is, the Democratic side has a tendency toward insulting, mocking, and dismissing citizens. Citizens who otherwise might have landed just left of middle instead of just right of middle.
And the alt-right that dominates the GOP at the moment are so reasonable? Have you ever read Breitbart's site?

Read or listened to Ann Coulter or her up and coming protege, Milo Yiannopoulos? How about Rush Limbaugh?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:14 PM   #325
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
This compromise is a very interesting concept. Does it mean we agree to all just be a little bit racist, just violate a few human rights and only start every second war that is suggested?
Hmm, It's hard to see how moderate conservatives could be at all offended by such a thoughtless and derisive remark.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:18 PM   #326
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Careful what you wish for.

Since you have no idea what the left stands for or what liberalism is, you might find yourself in a regime you not only dislike, but one that specifically makes your life a lot less pleasant.
I still think Trump would have won massive support if he had put Bernie Sanders in charge of DHHS.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:20 PM   #327
Emily's Cat

You make these comments like you just landed on this planet. Would you like to try and list the issues I disagree with this administration on?

You have this need for me to define the left for you, it is just more hiding on your part because you refuse to be honest and admit what you are.

Once you respond, we can waste everyone's time discussing ridiculous things you should already know, including my take that Trump is much better IMO than Hills.
I'm pretty sure that your definition of a leftist is "anyone who disagrees with logger about anything".

Other than that, in my personal opinion, your view of liberals is at least as caricatured of most of the descriptions of conservatives that are bandied about on ISF.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:20 PM   #328
Marcus
Master Poster

And you can tell me what I am as much as you like, but the fact is that:

There you go. That's my results. It's hard to anyone to claim from that that I'm somehow on the far left. I'm barely left of center.

Now when you're done flaunting your ignorance and lying about other posters, the conversation might get more interesting.
I'm perhaps 2 or 3 squares directly to your right. Naturally logger thinks I'm a leftist, or at least he would if I posted more.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:20 PM   #329
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump said that every time the Mexican government says they won't pay for the wall, it would get 10 feet higher.

By now, it should be something like 240ft.
By the end of the year NASA will have to boost the orbit of the International Space Station.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:24 PM   #330
Emily's Cat

You really cannot figure this out can you? These top notch "workers" quit because obviously they don't agree or like Trump. You can decide why they quit?

Do you think republicans would do this?
One would hope that a fair number of republicans would do exactly that if they believed that he was unethical and expected to behave in ways that jeopardize national security and the well-being of the citizens of the country.

You know, if you look at the principles of the republican party and their historical position on things like the military, ethics, individual freedom, etc.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:25 PM   #331
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
By the end of the year NASA will have to boost the orbit of the International Space Station.
Heck, after 4 years, we'll put a man on the moon again! They'll just have to climb the wall!

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:26 PM   #332
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
This statement seems rather odd. Of course a border wall will have a net effect on illegal migration.
No it won't. If my reading is correct, the net migration now is negative. Putting up a wall won't keep the Mexicans here.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:30 PM   #333
Emily's Cat

Your premise isn't true, so your logic above is invalid. I don't "mostly" agree with leftists. It's just that YOU, logger, are so far to the right that I almost always disagree with YOU.
Hell, I'm moderate-right for the most part, and Argumemnon and I agree on FAR more than I agree with logger about!

That's a special end of the right tail.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:31 PM   #334
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He's bragging about the claque he brought to the CIA. Also, Peyton Manning never addressed the CIA. He either thinks he got bigger standing ovation in a CIA briefing room than Manning did in a football stadium or Manning spoke to the CIA. Neither of those thoughts are sane. This man should be in an asylum not the White House.
The article I read said that CIA staff don't sit down unless the President tells them to. Since Trump never told them to have a seat, they stood for his whole speech. So even if only one dufus in the back of the room did a slow clap, Trump would claim he got a standing ovation.

The guy is such a clueless goober.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:32 PM   #335
Emily's Cat

And you can tell me what I am as much as you like, but the fact is that:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...a3c4037614.png

There you go. That's my results. It's hard to anyone to claim from that that I'm somehow on the far left. I'm barely left of center.

Now when you're done flaunting your ignorance and lying about other posters, the conversation might get more interesting.
I believe my last run through put me about one square further south than you, and just half a square on the right.

Yay for middle ground!
Old 26th January 2017, 02:35 PM   #336
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Re the "Don't Come" tweet:

People are pointing out, with glee, that in his "Art of the Deal" Donald says that insulting an alienating someone you are negotiating with is a terrible tactic. He needs to take his own advice.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:39 PM   #337
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Hmm, It's hard to see how moderate conservatives could be at all offended by such a thoughtless and derisive remark.
Noted, but the question needs to be answered. The GOP's strategy for the past decade or so has been to issue fair demands for reasonable compromise, and then pull back the veil on some new frothing insanity that is to be "compromised" with, while offering nothing in return. Where was their compromise when they blocked *any* Obama-appointee for the Supreme Court? When they voted to repeal the ACA some sixty times?

Moderate conservatives should be ashamed of their own party's behavior. It's proven successful for accomplishing many of their policy goals, but at the cost of burning down all pretensions to civility and reasonable discourse.

They chose to crap in the bed, they can't bitch about the smell.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:41 PM   #338
Emily's Cat

No? I suppose I can refuse to take your test. I'd rather go on what people say, you might have not been quite honest in your answers.
Wow. That's some mighty fine tapdancing.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:44 PM   #339
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The interesting thing about that quote is that she didn't do that. The full "deplorables" quote went on for about two paragraphs, and said almost the opposite of how the out of context sound bite sounded.

Sometimes I feel sorry for politicians.
I've read the whole thing. I can in fer what her intent was, but she still in the end said that half of Trump's supporters are deplorables. She was referencing the Reuters/Ipsos survey. I find it particularly offensive because she used it as a rallying cry for the Democratic platform while conveniently failing to mention that one-third of her supporters are in that same basket.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:45 PM   #340
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is confusing trying to convince everyone he has a big dick with convincing everyone he is a big dick. Because he's quite convincing on the latter.
I'm not overly impressed with his apparent intellect. He may have a tough time with verbs.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:46 PM   #341
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The highlighted is a demonstrably false statement. She referred to half of HIS supporters as deplorable.
Alright then, approximate a quarter of the country.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:46 PM   #342
Stacko
Philosopher

Well played Lindsey Graham.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:49 PM   #343
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I'm confused as to when you believe this thread became about you ?
I am a right-leaning moderate. When generalized insults and derision are made castigating all people on the right (regardless of their actual opinions) as being bigots, I tend to feel obligated to point out that this sort of exaggerated derision is counter-productive.

If uke2se actually believes that there are no right-middle folks out there, and that anyone who's even a little bit on the right fits into that deplorable basket... then that means that he is also placing *me* into that basket. The intent is to point out the irrationality of his approach.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:51 PM   #344
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You do see what the right elected, right?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And the alt-right that dominates the GOP at the moment are so reasonable...
I might pay real factual money to put you and logger in a room together.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:52 PM   #345
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
If it's non political, why do you think they are "leftists"? You really should provide your unusual definition so that we know what you mean.
He's just trying to show that Argumemnon's point is spot on. Trying reading his posts for the humor he provides.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:54 PM   #346
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Moderate conservatives should be ashamed of their own party's behavior.
Moderate conservatives, like most moderate liberals, tend to be independent voters. We tend to NOT play party politics.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:55 PM   #347
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Given that the report is that they've worked away for years under various regimes and it doesn't seem that a one of them has ever made headlines before, this would not appear to be a political decision.
You can't draw that conclusion from the information now available to the public. I'm anxious to read an interview of one of the departees.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:58 PM   #348
phiwum
Philosopher

I am a right-leaning moderate. When generalized insults and derision are made castigating all people on the right (regardless of their actual opinions) as being bigots, I tend to feel obligated to point out that this sort of exaggerated derision is counter-productive.
Let me agree with Emily's Cat here.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 02:59 PM   #349
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Moderate conservatives, like most moderate liberals, tend to be independent voters. We tend to NOT play party politics.
Then when you hear the term "conservative," just assume it's referring to "party conservatives" or "GOP," instead of the moderate conservatives who are really independent voters that don't like to play party politics.

Everyone leaning even slightly left has had to put up with "you libruls" for years. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 26th January 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 03:02 PM   #350
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Old 26th January 2017, 03:07 PM   #351
SezMe
post-pre-born

I'm no further to the right than any conservative or even republican, it is you who is on the left and just can't bring yourself to admit it!
Problem is, that is pretty close to the truth. More's the pity.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:07 PM   #352
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I might pay real factual money to put you and logger in a room together.
I pay no attention to people whose discussions never move forward.

Getting back to my post, were you dodging or just don't feel like addressing the specifics I asked about?

Perhaps you might answer my questions, assuming the people who elected Trump were for the most part, on right side of the aisle:

So, did Trump voters know what they were electing and not care?
Did they fool themselves and believe he was someone other than himself?
Did they miss the blatant personality disorder that was on full display for more than a year leading up to the election?
Would you say that was denial and wishful thinking?

Do you think the alt-right that dominates the GOP at the moment are so reasonable?
Have you ever read Breitbart's site?
Read or listened to Ann Coulter or her up and coming protege, Milo Yiannopoulos?
How about Rush Limbaugh?
Old 26th January 2017, 03:08 PM   #353
Bob001
Illuminator

In this case what I mean is that Hillary said one thing, but it's nearly universally believed that she said something else, and it probably cost her the presidency. Oh well.
Quote:
On some level, you have to be able to manage your own message, and she didn't.
C'est la vie.
Much of her campaign seemed to be directed at people who already supported her. She didn't give undecided voters, let alone Trump voters, a concrete message about how they would be better off with her in the White House. It turns my stomach to say so, but Kellyanne Crazyway summed it up well when she said "Clinton's message was just 'I'm not Trump'. That wasn't enough." And now here we are.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 03:08 PM   #354
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Let me agree with Emily's Cat here.
Yes but there is also the elephant that was elected POTUS in the room.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:08 PM   #355
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

In which case, you and Hillary agree. Really. That's exactly what she said in her "deplorables" quote. That was the message. Her message was that there were some (she said half) of Trump supporters that were racist, sexist, etc....but there were others that were great Americans, and we have to reach those.

That's why I feel sorry for politicians. She is saying the same thing you are, and you are putting her down for saying it.

Ok, maybe she overestimated the deplorable content of America. Maybe it should have been less than half, but her point was that not all right wingers were racist, sexist homophobes.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:14 PM   #356
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The article I read said that CIA staff don't sit down unless the President tells them to. Since Trump never told them to have a seat, they stood for his whole speech. So even if only one dufus in the back of the room did a slow clap, Trump would claim he got a standing ovation.

The guy is such a clueless goober.
I thought it was not just the CIA but government protocol says when the President enters a room everyone stands until the President tells them or gestures them to sit. Trump might have forgotten about that part and just thought it was great everyone was standing for him.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 03:15 PM   #357
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

In which case, you and Hillary agree. Really. That's exactly what she said in her "deplorables" quote. That was the message. Her message was that there were some (she said half) of Trump supporters that were racist, sexist, etc....but there were others that were great Americans, and we have to reach those.

That's why I feel sorry for politicians. She is saying the same thing you are, and you are putting her down for saying it.

Ok, maybe she overestimated the deplorable content of America. Maybe it should have been less than half, but her point was that not all right wingers were racist, sexist homophobes.
To be fair, Hillary should have been an experienced enough politician to realize the sentence could be taken out of context.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:15 PM   #358
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I thought it was not just the CIA but government protocol says when the President enters a room everyone stands until the President tells them or gestures them to sit. Trump might have forgotten about that part and just thought it was great everyone was standing for him.
Standard US military courtesy:When the Commanding Officer enters a room for a formal meeting, everybody stands.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th January 2017 at 03:17 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 03:18 PM   #359
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If only Clinton had dumbed down her message, she could have picked up more of the idiot vote.
Old 26th January 2017, 03:19 PM   #360
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

In other news, according to these folks, the time to nuclear holocaust is now down to 2 1/2 minutes.

As one who lived through a few fevered days during the Cuban Missile Crisis hiding in the Appalachias with some freaked out DC-area mothers and their kids, frequent air raid drills with testing of emergency broadcast signals around the country, required stock of foodstuffs at my elementary school for emergencies, and neighbors who built bomb shelters... it worries me that nukes have become so nonchalant a topic for people like Trump. All that stuff back then may have been useless and panicky, but another thing is altogether would be to set a few of these nukes, especially H-bombs, off. Since it would be the yuugest orange conflagration ever in history, maybe the Pres will realize that might overshadow his amazing and funny-colored hair. This kind of thinking evidently carries weight with him; let's get the idea to go viral on Twitter so he'll know it's a people-are-saying-so-true-ism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atomic.clock.jpg (27.6 KB, 5 views)
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics