ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2017, 09:13 AM   #241
The_Animus
Master Poster

"by a 51/23 margin Trump voters say that the Bowling Green Massacre shows why Trump's immigration policy is needed."

Polling by PPP but the link I saw disappeared and I don't have any time left ATM so maybe someone can link it.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 09:16 AM   #242
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
"by a 51/23 margin Trump voters say that the Bowling Green Massacre shows why Trump's immigration policy is needed."

Polling by PPP but the link I saw disappeared and I don't have any time left ATM so maybe someone can link it.
Link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.market...B-46BCFEE06D29
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 09:42 AM   #243
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

See the alternate facts win again.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 10:48 AM   #244
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Look, leftist here put these polls up to offer their proof on how dumb Trump supporters are. Then someone puts a poll up to show how dumb the Dems are. The fact is, your side has the poor, they are by nature going to be dumber then the average middle to upper middle class person, we have most of them.

So what is the point of putting this stuff up?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 10:53 AM   #245
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Look, leftist here put these polls up to offer their proof on how dumb Trump supporters are. Then someone puts a poll up to show how dumb the Dems are. The fact is, your side has the poor, they are by nature going to be dumber then the average middle to upper middle class person, we have most of them.

Can you point to that poll of which you speak?
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 11:05 AM   #246
Argumemnon
World Maker

I suppose you're part of the group of people who agree that there was no such massacre?
Old 10th February 2017, 11:56 AM   #247
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Can you point to that poll of which you speak?
Yes

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/20...ts-are-stupid/
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 11:59 AM   #248
Argumemnon
World Maker

People are stupid. News at 11.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:59 AM   #249
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I suppose you're part of the group of people who agree that there was no such massacre?
A true moderate would say, the polling firm PPP is solidly left. Yes, nothing to do with what you asked, guess why?
Old 10th February 2017, 12:00 PM   #250
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, a poll by a right wing website saying liberals are stupid. There is convincing evidence..

Does this guy have ANY idea of how to make an argument?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:01 PM   #251
logger
Suspended

People are stupid. News at 11.
Tell that to your side, who tries to continue this narrative of their brilliance, when their politics mostly centers around EMOTION!
Old 10th February 2017, 12:02 PM   #252
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wow, a poll by a right wing website saying liberals are stupid. There is convincing evidence..

Does this guy have ANY idea of how to make an argument?
What do you think PPP is, and they've done this before.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:03 PM   #253
C_Felix
Master Poster

There's a difference between dumb and willful ignorance.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:10 PM   #254
Argumemnon
World Maker

A true moderate would say, the polling firm PPP is solidly left. Yes, nothing to do with what you asked, guess why?
If I had to guess, I'd venture that you'd rather not tell us what you think on the matter, lest you end up looking the fool.

Quote:
Tell that to your side, who tries to continue this narrative of their brilliance, when their politics mostly centers around EMOTION!
They're not "my side". That is a fantasy of your own making.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:20 PM   #255
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I don't think your poverty stats hold up. Most poor people do not live in cities but in the Republican environment of suburbs and rural areas.

Also, income not as predictive.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ote-for-trump/
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:34 PM   #256
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If I had to guess, I'd venture that you'd rather not tell us what you think on the matter, lest you end up looking the fool.

Logger just accused somebody of using nothing but emotion????????

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:39 PM   #257
The_Animus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Thanks for posting the link!

People in general often base their beliefs on emotion rather than reason and facts. Often there is a mix of both. As such it's bound to occur with both democrats and republicans.

For instance, many democrats might feel compassion for refugees and so want to accept them from wherever. They likely don't know every country or city name and just assumed it was a real place.

Or, many republicans might feel anger and fear for refugees and so don't want them coming here. They likely don't know every terrorist attack, or the odds of one affecting them, so they just assume it's a real attack and a real threat.

Of course the difference being that one was made up in a polling question and the other was said by a Trump surrogate on TV. Oh and one is being used as justification for stupid policy that negatively impacts people both in the US and across the globe.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:46 PM   #258
Spindrift

No. Poorly worded survey designed to get results it wants. Where is the option for them to say Agrabah is not a real country?
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 01:11 PM   #259
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

You're talking to a person who erroneously claims that 'the left' is all about emotion, while he himself preaches the right from a position of emotional mockery and outright hatred.

As well, recall that 'the left' is anyone who doesn't think or believe exactly as he does in his bubble.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 01:19 PM   #260
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
You're talking to a person who erroneously claims that 'the left' is all about emotion, while he himself preaches the right from a position of emotional mockery and outright hatred.

As well, recall that 'the left' is anyone who doesn't think or believe exactly as he does in his bubble.
And we have president snowflake himself as an example of how well the right deals with criticism.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 01:23 PM   #261
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think that the courts will probably end up upholding parts of the Trump order while modifying others...the Green Card fiasco in particular.
Anyway, what has happened is certainly a huge shot across Trump's bow.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:02 PM   #262
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I think that the courts will probably end up upholding parts of the Trump order while modifying others...the Green Card fiasco in particular.
The whole thing is mind boggling.

If the EO has merely stated that no new refugees were going to be permitted in for 60-90 days as better vetting was put in place, and that existing visas and green cards would not be affected, this whole thing would barely warrant a a page 3 headline.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 02:13 PM   #263
Spindrift

If the EO has merely stated that no new refugees were going to be permitted in for 60-90 days as better vetting was put in place, and that existing visas and green cards would not be affected, this whole thing would barely warrant a a page 3 headline.
It's not that mind-boggling. The Trump administration, in its few weeks of existence, has shown very little regard for details.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:15 PM   #264
Aber
Muse

It's not that mind-boggling. The Trump administration, in its few weeks of existence, has shown very little regard for details.
Or spelling...
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 02:19 PM   #265
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I know! It's like they're staffed by morons! *I* could write a better EO than Trump to do what they wanted, and I'm not even a fracking American!

Old 10th February 2017, 02:21 PM   #266
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Trump is emphasizing he has secret knowledge as POTUS. No doubt that has a double benefit: Convince your followers they don't know as much as Trump so anything King Trump does can't be challenged, and that's the same legal argument used when asserting national security allows the POTUS to act without being challenged.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 02:21 PM   #267
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And that wouldn't have given them what they wanted. They ran on a muslim ban and they needed to be seen to ban muslims.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:23 PM   #268
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And that wouldn't have given them what they wanted. They ran on a muslim ban and they needed to be seen to ban muslims.
While at the same time claiming it's not a Muslim ban! Is the administration running on fear and hate?

Old 10th February 2017, 02:42 PM   #269
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump is emphasizing he has secret knowledge as POTUS.
The most implausible lie Trump could possibly tell is claiming to know something, anything, related to doing the job of a president.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:48 PM   #270
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I think the three things that shifted this EO from 'bold' to 'gong show' were:
  • the inclusion of existing visas and green cards - this lays lie to the claim that "We're only interested in illegal immigrants" story
  • Trump reassuring everybody that Christians would receive special treatment
  • Bloomberg reporting that Trump wanted to find a loophole to create a de facto unconstitutional Muslim Ban but with some sort of pretense that made it arguably legal - this lays lie to the claim that "We're only interested in protecting Americans from terrorists" story

ETA:
Oh, four actually. I would add:
  • The lack of advance warning. This resulted in genuine human tragedy stories with people handcuffed in airports, when they obviously had done nothing wrong. The Administration's stunning indifference to the treatment of innocent people who had planned a trip to the USA in good faith is a news story in and of itself.

Last edited by blutoski; 10th February 2017 at 03:04 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 04:30 PM   #271
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Trump wants to wait longer before appealing to the Supreme Court. Are we just going to sit on this until his man gets confirmed - and then vote on it? I mean, what's the point in waiting?
Old 10th February 2017, 04:39 PM   #272
phiwum
Philosopher

Right, but in the meantime, all those terrorists who have been vetted before would flood in.

Or, of course, no.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 05:34 PM   #273
logger
Suspended

Logger just accused somebody of using nothing but emotion????????
Not "somebody" your side in general. Your sides political ideology isn't based in fact, it is based on emotion.
Old 10th February 2017, 05:36 PM   #274
logger
Suspended

No. Poorly worded survey designed to get results it wants. Where is the option for them to say Agrabah is not a real country?
Point is, this happens on both sides.
Old 10th February 2017, 05:38 PM   #275
logger
Suspended

I think you're clearly the one who preaches from the side of hate. You're also the one who continues to call me a fascist, lots of hate there it seems.
Old 10th February 2017, 05:40 PM   #276
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And we have president snowflake himself as an example of how well the right deals with criticism.
No, the term snowflake was coined to explain the loser lib college "children" who needed their safe space. Trump is just giving it back to the losers who go after him.
Old 10th February 2017, 05:41 PM   #277
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't matter to me. If I'm pro-whale, I'm going to react badly to Cpt. Ahab chasing Moby Dick.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 05:43 PM   #278
logger
Suspended

A shot across his bow?
The courts have decided to take on national security, deciding who should be allowed in or out, something the president has sole discretion on.

This is just liberals legislating from the bench. Another reason why they cannot be compromised with, they have to be defeated.
Old 10th February 2017, 06:28 PM   #279
logger
Suspended

I wonder if these judges are thinking about what they've just done?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com
Old 10th February 2017, 06:41 PM   #280
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I think the three things that shifted this EO from 'bold' to 'gong show' were:
  • the inclusion of existing visas and green cards - this lays lie to the claim that "We're only interested in illegal immigrants" story
  • Trump reassuring everybody that Christians would receive special treatment
  • Bloomberg reporting that Trump wanted to find a loophole to create a de facto unconstitutional Muslim Ban but with some sort of pretense that made it arguably legal - this lays lie to the claim that "We're only interested in protecting Americans from terrorists" story

ETA:
Oh, four actually. I would add:
  • The lack of advance warning. This resulted in genuine human tragedy stories with people handcuffed in airports, when they obviously had done nothing wrong. The Administration's stunning indifference to the treatment of innocent people who had planned a trip to the USA in good faith is a news story in and of itself.

I agree with this, but I would add one thing. It would be appropriate to give Christians special treatment. The Chaldean and Assyrian communities are being destroyed. "Christian" in this case is not just a religious choice, it's an ethnicity. The Mandaeans have more or less ceased to exist. The Yazidis have fled.

It's ok to give preferential treatment to persecuted minorities. They really are persecuted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics