ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ICE incidents , ICE issues , immigration incidents , immigration issues

Old 17th February 2017, 06:22 AM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

ICE uses church hypothermia shelter as a suspect trap

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...413889013.html

What's next? ERs? Soup kitchens/food banks? I'm for imigration control but this breaks the rules of human decency.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:03 AM   #2
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...413889013.html
breaks the rules of human decency.
Why? I don't understand what rule this is breaking.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:10 AM   #3
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

You don't do things like this outside critical emergency services locations because it discourages people from using them. In this case, a "warming center" or hypothermia shelter. Word gets out that ICE is using them as essentially "bait" and people stay away. Sooner or later, someone winds of dying because they were too scared to go.

And before anyone starts yammering about "only the illegals need fear", note that legal citizens and green card holders were also harassed by this.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:18 AM   #4
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

You don't do things like this outside critical emergency services locations because it discourages people from using them. In this case, a "warming center" or hypothermia shelter. Word gets out that ICE is using them as essentially "bait" and people stay away. Sooner or later, someone winds of dying because they were too scared to go.

And before anyone starts yammering about "only the illegals need fear", note that legal citizens and green card holders were also harassed by this.
No surprise, I fear!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

It's similar to when the CIA was running fake vaccination programs in Pakistan to collect DNA as part of their spying efforts. Once it was exposed, locals stopped using legitimate vaccination services, which has led to an increase in polio and other diseases.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Reheat
Illuminator

Poor widdle snowflakes. Perhaps the illegal criminals will go to where it's warmer instead saving the American Taxpayer the $$ necessary to deport them.

I'd had to show my Photo ID the other day to purchase a six pack of beer. Yea, it was a terrible inconvenience to me, but I got over it rather quickly realizing that I needed to prove I was old enough to purchase alcohol.

I've also had to show an ID to get back in the US from Canada and Mexico. Yea, terrible inconvenience. SNORT*
Old 17th February 2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Reheat View Post
Poor widdle snowflakes. Perhaps the illegal criminals will go to where it's warmer instead saving the American Taxpayer the $$ necessary to deport them.

....snip...
I think Melania often goes to Florida, so she's one that is taking your advice.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:55 AM   #8
phiwum
Philosopher

I'd had to show my Photo ID the other day to purchase a six pack of beer. Yea, it was a terrible inconvenience to me, but I got over it rather quickly realizing that I needed to prove I was old enough to purchase alcohol.

I've also had to show an ID to get back in the US from Canada and Mexico. Yea, terrible inconvenience. SNORT*
Most of us don't carry proof of citizenship on our persons. Do you expect the homeless citizens needing to use this shelter keep their birth certificates with them?

I wonder what happened to and Mexican-Americans who tried to use this shelter. I'm only guessing, but it seems to me that detainment is likely. That's a little worse than having to show a license to buy beer or go without.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:03 AM   #9
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Most of us don't carry proof of citizenship on our persons. Do you expect the homeless citizens needing to use this shelter keep their birth certificates with them?
I don't carry my birth certificate with me either, but I'm pretty sure ICE would accept any form of ID that would show you're in the US legally. Things such as a driver license would likely suffice. In addition, many states will issue an ID for a nominal fee or in some cases for free. That would suffice, as well. BTW, you don't need to be a US Citizen to get either of those. Only that you are a legal resident.

You can't get a bank account without an ID and a Social Security number. There really is no valid excuse for someone legally in the US.

Last edited by Reheat; 17th February 2017 at 08:05 AM.
Reheat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:03 AM   #10
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yes because being asked for ID for buying alcohol or crossing the border is the same as walking down the street minding your own business or staying in a shelter to protect against hypothermia. Such obvious probable cause things those. Or perhaps it was just because they knew a bunch of people that all looked Mexican were there.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:05 AM   #11
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't carry my birth certificate with me either, but I'm pretty sure ICE would accept any form of ID that would show you're in the US legally. Things such as a driver license would likely suffice. In addition, many states will issue an ID for a nominal fee or in some cases for free. That would suffice, as well. BTW, you don't need to be a US Citizen to get either of those. Only that you are a legal resident.
A driver's licence isn't proof of being legal, and besides, how many homeless people have them, or any state issued ID?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:08 AM   #12
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

"I had to show ID to buy beer, so other people should have to show ID to not freeze to death!" is one of the most sickeningly heartless arguments I've ever seen.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:09 AM   #13
phiwum
Philosopher

You can't get a bank account without an ID and a Social Security number. There really is no valid excuse for someone legally in the US.
First, I was under the impression that driver's license do not serve to show that you're in the country legally.

Second, the set of people without ID and the set of people needing a shelter in cold weather just might have some overlap, don't you think? Many homeless suffer from mental illness, addiction, etc. One can't expect them to have considered the possibility of needing an ID just to use a shelter.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:11 AM   #14
3point14
Pi

Homeless people carry ID?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:12 AM   #15
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
A driver's licence isn't proof of being legal,
Yes, it is if from a Real ID state. I don't know about NZ, but in the US it is. Of course, there's always the possibility of a counterfeit one. ICE agents are trained to spot the counterfeit ones.

and besides, how many homeless people have them, or any state issued ID?
They will have another warm place to go while they're being questioned.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:13 AM   #16
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

What you seem to be suggesting is that the need to deport a few illegals outstrips the need to keep people from freezing to death. Do you really think that being an illegal immigrant should be penalized by freezing to death? That is not to mention that, if you thought about it, the homeless people who are likely to use hypothermia shelters also include a rather high percentage of people who, legal or not, do not get along well with authority. Some are mentally ill, some scared of authority for other reasons. If, as is suggested, the roundup included the harassment of people who were not illegal, and if, as is possible, the result is that those people will not avail themselves of such shelters, then your tiresome "widdle snowflake" cliché translates into a very cruel and heartlessly elitist attitude toward the discomfort and possible death of people. To compare it to the inconvenience of buying beer suggests a serious lack of thought.

You know, not every stupid and cruel idea can be justified by calling its opponents snowflakes. Not everything one tries to do to keep one's fellow man from dying in the cold is unamerican.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Quote:
An ICE spokeswoman said the agency's "sensitive location" policy was followed. The policy requires agents to avoid arresting people at places of worship, schools and medical facilities. The spokeswoman emphasized the arrests took place across the street from the church and not on church property.
Talk about splitting hairs. "We didn't go into the church or stand right outside the church, the church was simply the target."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:16 AM   #18
Reheat
Illuminator

First, I was under the impression that driver's license do not serve to show that you're in the country legally.
Your impression is wrong. You have to show proof of birth to obtain a Driver's License. There's more than one way to do that.

Second, the set of people without ID and the set of people needing a shelter in cold weather just might have some overlap, don't you think? Many homeless suffer from mental illness, addiction, etc. One can't expect them to have considered the possibility of needing an ID just to use a shelter.
As I said below, they'll have a warm place to stay while they're being questioned.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:18 AM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They will have another warm place to go while they're being questioned.
So you are good with locking up US Citizens and Residents who don't carry ID on them but look foreign? Good to know that.

My Apollo Page.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:18 AM   #20
Reheat
Illuminator

A driver's licence isn't proof of being legal, and besides, how many homeless people have them, or any state issued ID?
Yes, it is proof. You're jumping to conclusions without justification.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:19 AM   #21
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

If you want to catch fish, you have to go where the fish are. We pay these people to catch fish.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:20 AM   #22
3point14
Pi

Yes, it is proof. You're jumping to conclusions without justification.

You'd be happy for any LEO to demand your ID at any point?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:20 AM   #23
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
"I had to show ID to buy beer, so other people should have to show ID to not freeze to death!" is one of the most sickeningly heartless arguments I've ever seen.
Yes, if you jump to poor widdle snowflake conclusions it is...
Old 17th February 2017, 08:23 AM   #24
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Yes, if you jump to poor widdle snowflake conclusions it is...
Oh, I'm sorry. It must have been some other Reheat that came into a thread about ICE using a hypothermia shelter as a trap and posted this:

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:24 AM   #25
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If you want to catch fish, you have to go where the fish are. We pay these people to catch fish.
You got a mouse in your pocket? *I* don't pay anyone to harass people based on their skin color or other perceived physical features of race.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:24 AM   #26
Reheat
Illuminator

So you are good with locking up US Citizens and Residents who don't carry ID on them but look foreign? Good to know that.
Your critical thinking skills have disappeared? It's best if you don't assume things not in evidence.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:26 AM   #27
phiwum
Philosopher

Yes, it is if from a Real ID state. I don't know about NZ, but in the US it is. Of course, there's always the possibility of a counterfeit one. ICE agents are trained to spot the counterfeit ones.
How many states have those?

Does Virginia?

And, again, aren't the homeless more likely to not have ID?
Old 17th February 2017, 08:27 AM   #28
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You got a mouse in your pocket? *I* don't pay anyone to harass people based on their skin color or other perceived physical features of race.
How in the hell do you know they just didn't say hello and waited for a response in English?
Old 17th February 2017, 08:29 AM   #29
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Your impression is wrong. You have to show proof of birth to obtain a Driver's License. There's more than one way to do that.
Most states currently require this. Many people from my state (including me) currently have driver's license that did not require any sort of proof of residency or citizenship.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:29 AM   #30
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

No, no mouse in my pocket. But I take your point - it isn't the results of the raid that are a problem, just the methodology of selecting out "foreign-looking" as probable cause.

What criteria should they use? (I'd go with, "seems to like soccer" for a start.)
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:32 AM   #31
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure just being alive is "proof of birth."
Old 17th February 2017, 08:32 AM   #32
Babbylonian
Philosopher

How in the hell do you know they just didn't say hello and waited for a response in English?
Because I read the *********** article.
Quote:
Oscar Ramirez said he had just left the hypothermia shelter at Rising Hope Mission Church on Russell Road in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County, Virginia, when about a dozen ICE agents surround him and other Latino men.

"'Stop right there. Stop right there. Stop right there. Stay by the wall, where we can see your hands,'" the agents said, according to Ramirez.
They were harassed either for appearing Latino or for walking out of a church. Which option do you want to defend?
Old 17th February 2017, 08:33 AM   #33
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Most states currently require this. Many people from my state (including me) currently have driver's license that did not require any sort of proof of residency or citizenship.
So, they just took your word for your birth date? Surely, you must be from California. I guess that's why even TSA won't accept a driver license from the States without Real ID. Are you sure the law hasn't changed since you got yours?
Old 17th February 2017, 08:35 AM   #34
Babbylonian
Philosopher

No, no mouse in my pocket. But I take your point - it isn't the results of the raid that are a problem, just the methodology of selecting out "foreign-looking" as probable cause.

What criteria should they use? (I'd go with, "seems to like soccer" for a start.)
Perhaps we could start with "was caught crossing a border illegally or without proper documentation." Then, maybe, just maybe, "was reported to be staying in the country illegally."
Old 17th February 2017, 08:36 AM   #35
Reheat
Illuminator

Because I read the *********** article.

They were harassed either for appearing Latino or for walking out of a church. Which option do you want to defend?
I'll defend getting people out who are in the US illegally. BTW, you only have one side of the story.

ETA: Serious criminals go first.

Last edited by Reheat; 17th February 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Reheat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:38 AM   #36
Babbylonian
Philosopher

I'll defend getting people out who are in the US illegally.
"By any means necessary," apparently.
Quote:
BTW, you only have one side of the story.
ICE commentary was included, as noted in the article and above.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:40 AM   #37
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

You can't have it both ways. If they were stopped for appearing Latino, then they appeared Latino, which is the target group ICE was looking for. If their appearance shouldn't matter and doesn't identify them as Latino, then we can't say ICE is harassing them for being Latino.

If we wanted to be scientific about it to cut through the nonsense, we could ask how many undocumented folks were rounded up with the method and compare that to other methods.

If, on the other hand, we simply don't want these people to be "rounded up" at all, then no method will do - ICE can retire and enjoy their collective pensions, sunning themselves in Miami.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:42 AM   #38
Babbylonian
Philosopher

You can't have it both ways. If they were stopped for appearing Latino, then they appeared Latino, which is the target group ICE was looking for. If their appearance shouldn't matter and doesn't identify them as Latino, then we can't say ICE is harassing them for being Latino.
I don't want it either way. ICE agents should be required to have at least "reasonable suspicion" before harassing people on the street, just like any other law enforcement agency; skin color does not qualify. If they're not required to have such, that's a serious problem with the law.

ETA: As for the rest of your post, I've got no problem with the idea of downsizing ICE.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 17th February 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:43 AM   #39
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps we could start with "was caught crossing a border illegally or without proper documentation." Then, maybe, just maybe, "was reported to be staying in the country illegally."
Sounds reasonable. So ICE gets a call...
"Hello, ICE?"
"We prefer Customs and Immigration, thank you."
"Well, I thought you should know there's a bunch of illegals hanging out at the warming shelter."
"Oh, really. How do you know this?"
"I know. They keep asking for us to turn up the temperature because they come from South America."
"That's pretty thin."
"Yeah, well they all look Latino too."
"Oh, OK. We'll be right over."
Old 17th February 2017, 08:45 AM   #40
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want it either way. ICE agents should be required to have at least "reasonable suspicion" before harassing people on the street, just like any other law enforcement agency; skin color does not qualify. If they're not required to have such, that's a serious problem with the law.
Good enough. As I mentioned, we should look at the results. If they are catching the people we ask them to catch, then their suspicions are reasonable. At least reasonable in the sense those suspicions accomplish the task at hand. If not, not.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics