ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mediums , spiritualism

Old 9th August 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Talking to the dead TV show-UK

On Channel 4 UK now so later on +1 and maybe 4 on demand.

"Unprecedented access to a London spiritualist church to discover how belief in the afterlife has transformed people's lives."
Old 9th August 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

I watched the programme, it was spoiled by the uncritical presenter who seemed to take everything he was told at face-value. A publican friend of one of the spiritualists was the only person who questioned their beliefs, he obviously thought it was complete twaddle and found it especially difficult to accept that his children had chosen him as their father.

Leon
Old 9th August 2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Emerson Street
Thinker

The doctor on this show made me upset when he described proscribing anti-depressants to a patient and then proceeding to tell her he had seen her father who had died, as a GP he should know better.
Old 9th August 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Yes the presenter was impressed by the Doctor who merely said he saw sheet music this was enough to convince him that he was in contact with his deceased Father. Of course the doc supposedly gave more details but these weren't shown.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Kiosk
He Thinks He's People

The presenter was also wowed by the doctor's uncanny suggestion that his musical grandfather "was slightly disappointed that he hadn't quite achieved all he wanted to". Well, assuming the presenter's granddad didn't conduct the London Philharmonic, that's a fairly safe bet, surely?

It wasn't a completely dreadful programme, in that it didn't swallow the woo whole, but it was certainly leaning that way. The angle seemed to be "well, there might be something in it or there might not, but if it makes these people happy then who cares?" Makes you wonder why they bothered making the programme in the first place.

My favourite bit was the guy with the Polaroid picture of his aura. "It's taken with a special camera."
Many of the medical profession are sceptical about my work. They point to my record of treatment of athlete's foot sufferers - 84 dead, 65 severely wounded, and 12 missing believed cured. But then, people laughed at Bob Hope. People laughed at my wife when she wrapped herself up in greaseproof paper and hopped into the Social Security office - but that doesn't mean that Pasteur was wrong.
Kiosk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

I didn't see the programme but this (see below) promises to be a right ol cosy wankfest as more bald men get a prime time opportunity to fight reverentially about an imagined comb.

Quote:
Revelations: How Do You Know God Exists?
Quote:

Sunday 16 August
7:00pm - 8:00pm
Channel 4
8/8

The leading figures of the five principal faiths in the UK - Anglican, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu - discuss the continued relevance of religion in their lives in 21st century Britain. Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols, Muslim theologian Tariq Ramadan, Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks and Swami Pramtattvadas talk about their beliefs and answer questions on their respective faiths.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2009, 04:44 AM   #7
eccles
Critical Thinker

Were they talking to the Honorable Members of the House of Lords?

Rev. Robert Tobin (Minister, First Church of Atheism)

Thank 'god' I am Atheist
eccles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal