ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2019, 11:29 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tech companies getting a tad intrusive?

I have to admit I have never owned anything Apple.

My only reason given their obvious usability pluses is it is all closed source, which frankly annoys me, but this seems to me a tad dodgy

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/11/t...ing/index.html
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 11:49 PM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

My only reason given their obvious usability pluses is it is all closed source, which frankly annoys me, but this seems to me a tad dodgy

How this was a surprise to anyone who has setup one of these devices is beyond me, it isn't one of those things hidden in page 672 of your terms and conditions, both Amazon and Google make it clear that for the benefit of development they may use your "recordings". Not setup an Alexa device for a while but I know it's a setting in Google Home so you can easily change your mind at anytime. I presume it is also a setting in Alexa?
Old 13th April 2019, 12:04 AM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How this was a surprise to anyone who has setup one of these devices is beyond me, it isn't one of those things hidden in page 672 of your terms and conditions, both Amazon and Google make it clear that for the benefit of development they may use your "recordings". Not setup an Alexa device for a while but I know it's a setting in Google Home so you can easily change your mind at anytime. I presume it is also a setting in Alexa?
True

I find it funny that people have facebook accounts and use google and then moan about people using their info

I have a bloke who sits next to me at work who uses it all the time. Watch someone purposefully over enunciating instructions loudly into their phones can get on peoples tits a tad when the workmate knows they could do it with their fingers and it would take about 1 second longer.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:50 AM   #4
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I have one of these google hubs in my house. If anybody wants to listen to our boring mundane conversations then let them.

Of course, if I was doing a drug deal or planning a terrorist attack then the first thing that I would do was turn off all of the electronic devices in my house that had a microphone on them.
Old 13th April 2019, 01:19 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I have one of these google hubs in my house. If anybody wants to listen to our boring mundane conversations then let them.

Of course, if I was doing a drug deal or planning a terrorist attack then the first thing that I would do was turn off all of the electronic devices in my house that had a microphone on them.
Mine will be 50% of

OK Google, play oh blast what is it called the one with the in...

...I'm sorry I don't understand that yet..

Followed by:

OK Google switch on the living room lights...

..I'm sorry but I couldn't find a living room...

ME: stupid bloody Google, I spent an hour setting it up and you can't find it, useless piece of crap. ...sounds of typing... a quiet "oh"

OK Google, switch on the lounge lights

...switching on 4 lights....
Old 13th April 2019, 05:32 AM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Mine will be 50% of

Followed by:

ME: stupid bloody Google, I spent an hour setting it up and you can't find it, useless piece of crap. ...sounds of typing... a quiet "oh"

Lol Or gets **** off couch for two seconds and moves finger two inches to turn lights on.

Old 13th April 2019, 06:14 AM   #7
elgarak
Illuminator

Uhhhh...

You know the story is about Amazon, not Apple?
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I pity whoever listens in on my mom's house. You people think I'm random in my conversation? My mother sounds like she's playing Mad Libs and that's just when she's speaking aloud to herself. When she gets into conversation with her five-year-old grandkids it moves to a whole new level of incomprehensibly weird. She has a habit of interrupting her own remarks to interject other remarks, then interrupting those remarks except she only says half the thought aloud, because she believes the person she's talking to can read her mind to pick up the unspoken half of every remark. If you transcribed her speech you'd have to use a SQL editor to sort out all the nested parentheses. And if she can't think of a word she wants to use she substitutes another one linked by a mental association only she would make. You pretty much have to have known her for at least thirty years to understand a lot of what she says. Alexa spends a lot of time silent with the blue light circling, trying to figure out what the heck it's supposed to be doing.
Old 13th April 2019, 07:00 AM   #9
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I used to be one of the transcriptionists working as an independent contractor in Amazon Mechanical Turk. It's currently not nefarious, but it's about the be where there will be an AI-powered written record of everything we say. Creepy as hell.
Old 13th April 2019, 07:23 AM   #10
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
The audio clips they listen to were described as "mundane" and even sometimes "possibly criminal," including listening to a potential sexual assault.

"Alexa, play Baby, It's Cold Outside!"
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Lol Or gets **** off couch for two seconds and moves finger two inches to turn lights on.
Move off the coach? What are you a throw back to the hippies of the 60s!

It is the height of laziness and wanton waste of huge amounts of irreplaceable resources so I can switch 4 lights on with my voice... but it is very cool, especially being able to dim and brighten and change the colour and white temperatures of the lights as a group.

Have to admit I only use a fraction of the features they offer, and they are still nowhere near "natural voice" understanding especially not a Northern English accent!
Old 13th April 2019, 08:38 AM   #12
Thermal
Philosopher

"Yo, Alex, turn on the lights, I can't find the tequila bottle"

"Oh, right. Alexa, turn on the livin room ******** lights"

*wife, from upstairs" "We don't have an Echo you stupid drunk"
Old 13th April 2019, 09:30 AM   #13
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I pity whoever listens in on my mom's house. You people think I'm random in my conversation? My mother sounds like she's playing Mad Libs and that's just when she's speaking aloud to herself. When she gets into conversation with her five-year-old grandkids it moves to a whole new level of incomprehensibly weird. She has a habit of interrupting her own remarks to interject other remarks, then interrupting those remarks except she only says half the thought aloud, because she believes the person she's talking to can read her mind to pick up the unspoken half of every remark. If you transcribed her speech you'd have to use a SQL editor to sort out all the nested parentheses. And if she can't think of a word she wants to use she substitutes another one linked by a mental association only she would make. You pretty much have to have known her for at least thirty years to understand a lot of what she says. Alexa spends a lot of time silent with the blue light circling, trying to figure out what the heck it's supposed to be doing.
TIL TragicMonkey is actually my brother. No way two mothers like this in the same solar system.
Old 13th April 2019, 09:36 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I for one welcome our company overlords.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 09:36 AM   #15
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Mine will be 50% of

Followed by:

I taught my Google mini to accept, "Hey Google," instead of OK Google; saves me a syllable. My commands are pretty banal as well--Hey Google, what's the temperature, Hey Google, what's the time, Hey Google, set an alarm for 20 minutes from now.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Thermal
Philosopher

If you type in only "oo ah ah ah ah" into Google the first hit is Disturbed's Down With the Sickness". Tis a smart little search engine. Massive search engine. Whatever.
Our Echo Dot (I think it's called that) just describes in detail what it refuses to do, or does what it would rather do. One of my kids says it links to her phone and gets screwy when her device is around. I think its personal

Last edited by Thermal; 13th April 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 03:56 PM   #17
Hungry81
Master Poster

As much as I hate Apple, like any reasonable, sane person should. This is Amazon, not Apple.

I dont have these "assistant" devices and nor do I want them.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:58 AM   #18
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
"Yo, Alex, turn on the lights, I can't find the tequila bottle"

"Oh, right. Alexa, turn on the livin room ******** lights"

*wife, from upstairs" "We don't have an Echo you stupid drunk"
So your wife is called Alex?

(Note to self do not call daughter Alex / Alexa / Alexandra)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events