ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:31 PM   #321
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
You live in a society with many rules and obligations required for its smooth functioning, even in America that land of the free. Voting in Australia, as has been well described here, is a minor imposition for even the grumpiest curmudgeon.
Speaking as a grumpy curmudgeon, and an old one at that, we tend to be the ones demanding our right to cast a vote with no gainsaying. NOW!, you young whippersnapper!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #322
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I do object to that. I regularly come out against democracy here
On the grounds that voting is compelled speech?

If so, why have you been acting as though there is something distinct about compulsory voting?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 06:32 PM   #323
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
On the grounds that voting is compelled speech?

If so, why have you been acting as though there is something distinct about compulsory voting?
I object on several grounds.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 07:18 PM   #324
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hey now, here's a thing that never happens in Australian elections:

US midterm elections: Dead brothel owner Dennis Hof wins Nevada race for Republicans

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:25 PM   #325
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is too much distance between our positions to be justified in the common length of a forum post.
The cultural differences in approaches to civic duty, individual freedom, and goverment involvement are sufficient explanation for the difference in your preference to ours. There is no foundational argument that you could make to show that our system is objectively wrong and you know it.

It is also a fact that the American electoral system is disfunctioning while ours is highly functional.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:53 PM   #326
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What does it express? Your disgust or disdain with the range and/or policies of candidates? Your laziness? Missed the bus? Forgot? How does not voting carry that expression you wish to convey to the government?
It is literally none of your business what I intend to express. I don't owe you an explanation. You are not entitled to only allow expressions that meet your idea usefulness.

Not only that, but freedom of expression is a lie if it doesn't also allow the freedom to not express.

There is no freedom to vote without the freedom to not vote.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:58 PM   #327
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It is literally none of your business what I intend to express. I don't owe you an explanation. You are not entitled to only allow expressions that meet your idea usefulness.

Not only that, but freedom of expression is a lie if it doesn't also allow the freedom to not express.

Australia gives you the freedom not to vote. You can submit an informal ballot. You are free to do that if that is what you wish. Personally, I feel that it's a pretty ****** thing to do, but you are free to do that.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 09:05 PM   #328
Kid Eager
Philosopher

There is no freedom in a democracy if there are no accompanying responsibilities.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:09 PM   #329
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The key seems to be phrasing everything in such a way that you negate all other possible meanings/interpretations of every word that you use except the idea(s) you are trying to communicate. This is of course an inherent problem with all human communication but it is normally a game played with the mutual engagement of interlocutors.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 09:35 PM   #330
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Australia gives you the freedom not to vote. You can submit an informal ballot. You are free to do that if that is what you wish. Personally, I feel that it's a pretty ****** thing to do, but you are free to do that.
If I were truly free to not vote, I wouldn't have to submit any ballot at all.

I mean, kudos to Australia for only forcing me to go through the motions, and not checking to make sure I actually filled out my ballot with real candidates etc. But don't let the power brokers trick you into thinking they've given me real freedom.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 09:52 PM   #331
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's the price of living in a democratic society. If you want to not vote, go live in a dictatorship. You don't get to enjoy the benefits of democracy and not contribute to the costs.

I mean, kudos to Australia for only forcing me to go through the motions, and not checking to make sure I actually filled out my ballot with real candidates etc. But don't let the power brokers trick you into thinking they've given me real freedom.
"Freedom" is a myth, and the biggest con ever perpetrated on the American people. You have only the "freedom" that those in power allow you to have, and no more.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th November 2018, 10:05 PM   #332
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

You can always go full freemen-on-the-land on the Electoral Commission if they jackbootedly ask why you didn’t vote. Would make for a variation on the border crossing and traffic stop videos on YouTube.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:17 PM   #333
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Hey now, here's a thing that never happens in Australian elections:

US midterm elections: Dead brothel owner Dennis Hof wins Nevada race for Republicans
How do you know that pimps never get elected in Australia?

Section 44 of the constitution doesn't even mention death or disability as disqualifications to being elected. Even if he were arrested and charged as a pimp, he could still run for parliament. It's only if he gets convicted that section 44 kicks in.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:19 PM   #334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
You can always go full freemen-on-the-land on the Electoral Commission if they jackbootedly ask why you didn’t vote. Would make for a variation on the border crossing and traffic stop videos on YouTube.
I don't think there's a lot border crosssers in Australia. Just refugees on boats, damned to a hell hole in the south pacific, courtesy of the glorious democratic vote of the people of Australia. Who believe whatever those in power want them to believe.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:24 PM   #335
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't think there's a lot border crosssers in Australia. Just refugees on boats, damned to a hell hole in the south pacific, courtesy of the glorious democratic vote of the people of Australia. Who believe whatever those in power want them to believe.
Agree. A massive shame for all Australians that we have allowed our politicians to do this for so long. However most of us don’t go into full knee-jerk patriot mode when criticised so give this type of baiting attempt a miss.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:43 PM   #336
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Wait! Didn't Trump get elected on the promise to build a Mexican wall?

You might argue that Trump shouldn't have been elected based on the number of votes cast but that is acknowledging that the will of the people in Australia is not as easily thwarted as it is in the US.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:37 PM   #337
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

That's a nice turn of phrase, but if you think about it for a moment it's simply not true.

What does "freedom to vote" mean? Obviously it means the ability to choose between the various candidates for public office and submit a vote that will be counted in that decision.

Not having the freedom not to vote doesn't stop one from having this freedom. Nor does having the freedom not to vote guarantee this freedom. In fact, I don't see how it affects it at all.

Can you explain how you think the freedom not to vote impacts on the freedom to vote?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:12 AM   #338
3point14
Pi

Wow. Reagan really sold you on the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" ******** designed to enhance the power of the corporation, didn't he?

Can I just check what the definition of "real freedom" is? Would that be Somalia?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:32 AM   #339
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
What is this "Democracy Sausage" of which they speak?

I have never heard this phrase used in 50 years of voting, Federal, State and local. I am certainly familiar with Sausage Sizzles, which are everywhere on a Saturday including outside supermarkets and shopping complexes, on beaches, in backyards (I was eating sausages in Bread over 60 years ago), and on election days as local community fundraisers.

But Democracy Sausage? It was, is and always will be a Sausage Sizzle, and is not even close to defining snags eaten outside a Polling Booth on election days. Some people vote early, and don't have breakfast just thinking they will grab a sausage and a Coffee at the Community Hall/School, RSL etc. That is the tradition.

Norm
Yeah, it’s hard to even imagine an Aussie saying this. The flamin gallahs at the NYT must have had too many tinnies at the bottlo.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:48 AM   #340
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningSeveral posts have been sent to AAH for being off topic or talking about other members as opposed to their posts.

Please keep on topic for the thread.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:09 AM   #341
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here's another factor.

Australia, to my knowledge, doesn't have anything equivalent to the electoral college.

You also don't have a President, you have two heads of state which as near as I can figure out from reading your Wikipedia somehow appoint each other or something.

No seriously how does that work? The Governor-General appoints the Prime Minister and the Governor-General is appointed by the Queen?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:52 AM   #342
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No seriously how does that work? The Governor-General appoints the Prime Minister and the Governor-General is appointed by the Queen?
The keyword is "convention".

The GG almost never exercises his power other than at the advice of the prime minister and the Queen always rubber stamps any recommendation (including the selection of GG) made by the PM.

The person selected as GG is one who is most likely to not interfere with the parliamentary process (ie rubber stamps parliament/PM). Military people are popular choices for GG for this reason.

1975 is the only time in federal history where this arrangement broke down. The PM was sacked by the GG and although the House immediately passed a vote of no confidence in the new PM, the Queen refused to take notice of this vote.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:11 AM   #343
Mr Salk
Thinker

All decent upstanding US citizens will at least pretend to not support voter-suppression.
But you'd have to be some kind of rabid-constitutionalist to encourage or reward voting in populations that are diametrically opposed to your world-view.

Last edited by Mr Salk; 8th November 2018 at 11:24 AM.
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 11:15 AM   #344
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
There is no freedom in a democracy if there are no accompanying responsibilities.
Sure. But it does not follow from this that compelling a particular responsibility is justified.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:38 PM   #345
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Sure. But it does not follow from this that compelling a particular responsibility is justified.
I don’t see how that *doesn’t* follow. Responsibilities absent enforcement and consequences? Good luck with that for anything that matters.
Old 8th November 2018, 02:55 PM   #346
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's another factor.

Australia, to my knowledge, doesn't have anything equivalent to the electoral college.

You also don't have a President, you have two heads of state which as near as I can figure out from reading your Wikipedia somehow appoint each other or something.

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The keyword is "convention".

The GG almost never exercises his power other than at the advice of the prime minister and the Queen always rubber stamps any recommendation (including the selection of GG) made by the PM.

The person selected as GG is one who is most likely to not interfere with the parliamentary process (ie rubber stamps parliament/PM). Military people are popular choices for GG for this reason.

1975 is the only time in federal history where this arrangement broke down. The PM was sacked by the GG and although the House immediately passed a vote of no confidence in the new PM, the Queen refused to take notice of this vote.
Just to add to the above. The GG is appointed for fixed terms. A new one is then appointed (ie the Queen is asked by the PM to appoint the GG which she does) by the PM. The GG does not resign on a change of PM. It is rare for a former politician to be appointed GG. It is also rare for a GG to be sacked or resign before their term has expired.

The prime minister is appointed by the GG because he (or in one case she) is the leader of the party that can form government after an election. If the leader of the party changes then the old PM resigns to the GG and the new leader is appointed by the GG. Life then carries on as normal.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:14 AM   #347
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It is rare for a former politician to be appointed GG.
One notable exception was Bill Hayden, former ALP leader who resigned in 1983 so that Bob Hawke could take a run at the prime ministership (which he succeeded in doing).

Hayden was appointed GG in 1989 in spite of his previous strong republican views (which he more or less had to recant). This was seen as the ultimate in "jobs for the boys". Hayden served as GG until 1996 - 2 years longer than usual but this was agreed by the Keating Labor government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_H...9%E2%80%931996)
Old 11th November 2018, 06:43 PM   #348
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
How do you know that pimps never get elected in Australia?

Section 44 of the constitution doesn't even mention death or disability as disqualifications to being elected. Even if he were arrested and charged as a pimp, he could still run for parliament. It's only if he gets convicted that section 44 kicks in.
https://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/can...s/overview.htm

Quote:
What if a House of Representative candidate dies between declaration of nominations and polling day?

The election for that seat or electoral division does not proceed. A new writ is issued for a supplementary election to be held. The supplementary election is conducted using the electoral roll prepared for the original election.
Doesn't say anything about Senate candidates. I can't find what happens if a Senate candidate dies between declaration of nomination and polling day.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2018, 06:48 PM   #349
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

BTW: Thanks, mods, for cleaning up the thread. It was much-needed.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2018, 07:25 PM   #350
Wildy
Adelaidean

https://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/can...s/overview.htm

Doesn't say anything about Senate candidates. I can't find what happens if a Senate candidate dies between declaration of nomination and polling day.
Most likely those votes would go to the second person on the candidate list the party gives to the AEC.
Old 4th March 2019, 07:51 PM   #351
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A history of compulsory voting in Australia (and why we are so good at elections)

Makes interesting reading.
Old 7th March 2019, 06:46 PM   #352
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Another article about the book that the above article is an extract from.

How Australia's compulsory voting saved it from Trumpism
Old 7th March 2019, 06:48 PM   #353
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Another article about the book that the above article is an extract from.

How Australia's compulsory voting saved it from Trumpism
Australia's refugee camps hardly seem like an escape from Trumpism. Are you sure compulsory voting is working out for you?
Old 7th March 2019, 07:10 PM   #354
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Australia's refugee camps hardly seem like an escape from Trumpism. Are you sure compulsory voting is working out for you?
So refugee camps are the result of compulsory voting? Is that your argument?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 07:14 PM   #355
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Australia is a representative democracy with compulsory voting. It's hard to imagine how those camps could be the result of anything other than the votes compelled by law in Australia.

But whatever they're the result of, it's obvious that compulsory voting hasn't saved you from them.
Old 7th March 2019, 07:36 PM   #356
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This thread is not about offshore processing of refugees.
Old 7th March 2019, 07:42 PM   #357
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, let's follow this argument a little way. If offshore processing is the result of compulsory voting, then so is universal healthcare. So are worker protection laws. So is equal marriage.

You can't argue that compulsory voting is responsible for bad policy without acknowledging that it is also responsible for good policy.
Old 7th March 2019, 07:50 PM   #358
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is not about offshore processing of refugees.
It is, however, about the ways in which compulsory voting is superior to voluntary voting. And most recently, it is about how compulsory voting leads to better outcomes than voluntary voting.

But as we can see from the example of "offshore processing of refugees", this isn't always the case.

Wouldn't it be nice for you, though, if we could have a thread about how awesome Australia is in the abstract, without being allowed to examine actual implementations in reality?
Old 7th March 2019, 08:28 PM   #359
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Oh I see the problem, you're confusing representative democracy with participatory democracy.

We don't get to vote for everything line by line, we vote for representatives who, hopefully, do what they promised.

If they turn out to be turds, we flush them at the next election.
Old 7th March 2019, 08:29 PM   #360
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Oh I see the problem, you're confusing representative democracy with participatory democracy.

We don't get to vote for everything line by line, we vote for representatives who, hopefully, do what they promised.

If they turn out to be turds, we flush them at the next election.
Just like in America, mutatis mutandi. How many election cycles has it been in Australia, since "offshore processing of refugees" first became policy?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events