ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2019, 07:24 PM   #41
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Would have been handy before the NSW election where the Shooters Party won three seats. Might have embarrassed the Labour Party into not doing preference deals with them.
Yeah, it would have been good. They were probably still running it past the lawyers though.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 04:48 PM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Australian gun lobby as big and cashed-up as NRA, report finds

Quote:
The Australian gun lobby is as large and spends as much on political donations and campaigns, per capita, as America's powerful NRA, a new report has found.

Australia's pro-gun groups were also mimicking the NRA's political strategies in a "concerted and secretive" effort to undermine Australia's strict gun laws, according to the report by progressive think tank, The Australia Institute.

Pro-gun groups donated $1.7 million to political parties since 2011, according to Point Blank: The covert lobbying of Australia's gun lobby.

The gun lobby spends even more on funding election campaigns, it said.

The report, obtained exclusively by the ABC, calls for a ban on political donations from the gun lobby.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 04:53 PM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haters gonna hate.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:16 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We don't want an NRA-style gun lobby in this country. Most of us don't want our gun laws watered down. We don't want senior members of our political parties trying to solicit large donations from the NRA and Koch Industries (that's why we passed laws against it).

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th March 2019, 07:08 PM   #45
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Haters gonna hate.
Something we agree on. One Nation is indeed a party full of hate directed at immigrants, indigenous people and anyone to the left of Genghis Khan.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 07:45 PM   #46
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Would have been handy before the NSW election where the Shooters Party won three seats. Might have embarrassed the Labour Party into not doing preference deals with them.
I don't think this has a lot to do with the Shooters, really. They seem to be, on the face of it, legitimately standing up for their followers' interests - huntin', shootin', fishin' (they want unlimited duck and pig hunting seasons, basically). They may play well with a certain sector of the electorate, but I don't think they are immigration-driven in the main.

No, this is another absolute ****-up by One Nation all on their own. It follows in the style of Pauline's ridiculous burka act in parliament, which earned her a stinging national rebuke by the leading conservative legal member, plus a public paddy-whacking. I can only presume they do this for the publicity. Because if this is what they are trying to implement as actual policy, they have just taken their final flaming dive into the ground. Home-grown burka stunts are one thing; courting US militia nuts and conspiracy weirdos (apparently while totally pissed!) is in a whole new league of ****-wittery.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2019, 06:56 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

More silencers for the ACT as gun numbers rise nationally

Quote:
Canberra's gun laws had small but subtle changes just over a year ago, with collectors required to have more secure storage and restrictions eased on silencers.

As of February 18, 2018, partially in response to the need to make kangaroo culling more efficient, silencers were authorised in the ACT for "killing fauna" on public land and land under rural lease.

Vets and conservation officers can apply to use silencers to "alleviate the suffering of an animal", CSIRO employees can silence their rifles while on expeditions to "collect specimens", and gun dealers can use them when maintaining and testing firearms.

It's part of what a recent NSW report describes as "an established pattern [by the gun lobby] of pushing the boundaries" and "compliance slippage", identifying how a low-profile but effective approach to political lobbying by the pro-gun lobby has steadily won concessions for gun owners.
Having had my mind changed on this very forum some years ago, I actually agree with easing restrictions on silencers. But the slow steady chipping away at gun control laws, and the noncompliance that states currently have with the National Firearms Agreement is worrying.

Quote:
With the ACT having similar firearm regulations as neighbouring NSW, the report reveals how gun ownership is steadily rising, and claims NSW is in breach of the national firearms agreement introduced in 1996 after the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.

Four years ago, the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) estimated there were 2.89 million legally registered firearms across Australia, an increase of 9.3 per cent since 2011.

It also conservatively estimated there were around 260,000 illicit firearms nationally, "based on intelligence and information from several sources".

Illcit handguns are a particularly significant threat in criminal hands, with the commission noting that a "substantial number of handguns entered the illicit firearms pool through regulatory loopholes in the legislation around deactivated firearms".

"It is estimated more than 5000 handguns have entered the illicit market in this way," the commission noted.

It rated the threat posed by the 3D printing of firearms as low but likely to rise "as technology improves".

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th April 2019, 07:13 AM   #48
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Having had my mind changed on this very forum some years ago, I actually agree with easing restrictions on silencers. But the slow steady chipping away at gun control laws, and the noncompliance that states currently have with the National Firearms Agreement is worrying.
In a parallel universe, I could easily see pro-gun folks complaining about laws making suppressor use mandatory. It's strange that a device that would greatly reduce noise pollution and hearing damage is either prohibited or discouraged by law.
Old 8th April 2019, 11:08 AM   #49
Ranb
Philosopher

From what I've heard, including silencers in the National Firearms Act was an anti-poaching measure. I've only seen anecdotal claims though.

I suspect that if integral silencers were the norm, then almost everyone would expect to see them on their firearms except those who wanted something very compact.
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 04:47 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
From what I've heard, including silencers in the National Firearms Act was an anti-poaching measure. I've only seen anecdotal claims though.
I don't know for sure, but that sounds plausible.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th April 2019, 01:17 AM   #51
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

For those that do not know anything about firearms silencers do not eliminate noise, they only reduce it.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:46 PM   #52
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

However, from my own experience...

A decent silencer, with 22 short, subsonic rounds, means you can lie downwind of a field full of rabbits, and shoot them all.

Since I was being paid to "shoot them all" that was considered a good outcome back then.

Bear in mind, I'm talking Australia, and rabbits were/are a serious problem here.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events