ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 13th April 2019, 12:43 PM   #3601
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Not dismissed, nor disposed of, they were "deferred". Not "demurred", maybe some posters are confused?
I think you are wrong on the deferred part. Plus, isn't a guilty plea required for a case to be deferred?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:55 PM   #3602
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
I think you are wrong on the deferred part. Plus, isn't a guilty plea required for a case to be deferred?
I think you're confusing what's supposed to happen with what Foxx's office actually did.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 04:18 PM   #3603
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think you're confusing what's supposed to happen with what Foxx's office actually did.
Maybe, but all I can find are news reports that it wasn't deferred, and nothing to say it was.

jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #3604
xjx388
Philosopher

At this point, Foxx’s Office isn’t going to reopen the case even if he admitted hoaxing. I think her office was convinced that the way they handled it would make it go away faster. If he is found liable in court for the civil damages and pays whatever fine the judge decides, I think everyone involved would be happy to let this fade away.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:09 PM   #3605
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports now saying that Foxx has publicly released thousands of emails and texts about Smollett from within her department.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:22 PM   #3606
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Various headlines are saying that Foxx remained involved even weeks after she said she recused herself. In her texts she says that Smollett is a washed up actor who lied to police, and she also says that 16 charges is excessive.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:31 PM   #3607
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Foxx sent a text to Magats. She says a pedophile with 4 victims received 10 charges, while a "washed up celeb who lied to cops" gets 16 charges.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:45 PM   #3608
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Assuming those reports are accurate as reported I have some sympathy for dropping the charges. It still rubs me the wrong way that he can publicly claim to be the victim. Hope the "washed up celeb" thing sticks.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:15 AM   #3609
Ernie M
Muse

The 16 charges were delivered by a grand jury indictment

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Foxx sent a text to Magats. She says a pedophile with 4 victims received 10 charges, while a "washed up celeb who lied to cops" gets 16 charges.

I see the comparison of the R. Kelly indictment, against the Jussie Smollet indictment, as a diversionary tactic.

A grand jury heard evidence from the prosecution, and delivered a 16 felony count "true bill" indictment, in the Smollett case.

Kim Foxx texted, "Sooo... I am recused, but when people accuse us of overcharging cases... 16 counts on a class 4 [felony] becomes exhibit A." (Highlights are mine, for emphasis).

Two issues with State's Attorney Foxx's quote:

First issue: Foxx she said she recused herself, but she did not. "When an elected State’s Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor. See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15). Typically, the special prosecutor is a neighboring State’s Attorney, the Attorney General, or the State Appellate Prosecutor. Here, the State’s Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law." That's a quote from the Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association. 1

Second issue: A grand jury delivered a 16 felony count, "true bill" indictment, in the Smollet case, not the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, or the State's Attorney Kim Foxx, or the Chicago Police.

Source:
1. "IPBA Statement on Jussie Smollett Case Dismissal." ilpba.org, 28 Mar 2019. Accessed from URL www. ilpba.org/announcements/7249825 17 April 2019.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 17th April 2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Deleted some words.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 01:41 PM   #3610
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Two officials from Foxx's office have just resigned. They aren't publicly claiming any connection between the resignations and the Smollett case, but it's hard to avoid the suspicion that they are.
https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/19/p...fice-smollett/
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 02:58 PM   #3611
Whip
Graduate Poster

I already solved the case after learning that smollett was allegedly going to costar with zachary quinto for a play.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/jussie-...ng-1202597374/

sylar wanted top billing and tried to steal the super powers that made smollett the gay tupac.

Last edited by Whip; 19th April 2019 at 02:59 PM.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 03:23 PM   #3612
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
I already solved the case after learning that smollett was allegedly going to costar with zachary quinto for a play.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/jussie-...ng-1202597374/

sylar wanted top billing and tried to steal the super powers that made smollett the gay tupac.
Huh. I guess Mumbles was right all along. This really is about racist whitey taking down a strong black man.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:14 AM   #3613
Mumbles
Philosopher

Huh. I guess Mumbles was right all along. This really is about racist whitey taking down a strong black man.
Of course, I criticized the a wildly corrupt mayor and multiracial police department, and like nearly every other black person in America, don't use the word "whitey", except when making fun of racist white people who incorrectly think that they (we) use that word.

So are you confused by the idea of a black police officer, or just flat out lying about what I said? I'd ask if you had any capability to actually listen to a black person and respond to what s/he said, but you really let the mask slip with that one word didn't you?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 05:18 AM   #3614
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
Run real fast into something hard and post like at chest height.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 12:50 PM   #3615
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Of course, I criticized the a wildly corrupt mayor and multiracial police department, and like nearly every other black person in America, don't use the word "whitey", except when making fun of racist white people who incorrectly think that they (we) use that word.

So are you confused by the idea of a black police officer, or just flat out lying about what I said? I'd ask if you had any capability to actually listen to a black person and respond to what s/he said, but you really let the mask slip with that one word didn't you?
Wow. Seems like this word has way more stereotypes for you than it does for me.
Old 21st April 2019, 01:20 PM   #3616
sadhatter
Philosopher

Wow. Seems like this word has way more stereotypes for you than it does for me.
If that poster is going to open that can of worms, I'm leveling a similar accusation again right back at them.

It seems they are incapable of listening to the opinion of any white person, projection is a wonderful thing.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 07:59 PM   #3617
Mumbles
Philosopher

So, now that both sadhatter and theprestige have clearly implied that they consider objections to sitting on video of unjustified shootings in order to help a mayor's reelection campaign, beating and tazing a school child without cause and lying about it, and attaching car batteries to peoples' genitals to force false confessions out of them to be blaming "racist whitey" when a black person states them, I think we can ignore their racist claptrap and move on.

Incoming mayor Lori Lightfoot seems to be wavering a bit on the issue - while she has previously said that Smollett should pay a price, she has also said that she doesn't consider this to be "a matter of any importance" recently, and considers it to be something Emanuel did. I personally wonder whether or not she'll continue with the suit based on this...

(Smollett's brother also had some recent comments supporting Jussie - I don't consider these to be all that important, due to obvious bias.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:38 PM   #3618
Myles
Thinker

(Smollett's brother also had some recent comments supporting Jussie - I don't consider these to be all that important, due to obvious bias.)
Yeah, I read that article where he asked “what if Jussie is telling the truth” and it really got me to thinking.

https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news...o-smollet.html

What if O.J. is telling the truth?

What if Scott Peterson is telling the truth?

What if Casey Anthony is telling the truth?

What if a frog had wings? (from McCabe and Mrs. Miller)

Article just got me to thinking.😁
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #3619
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"Nigerian brothers" sue Smollett attorneys for defamation

Originally Posted by CWB Chicago
Two Lakeview Chicago men who police and prosecutors said helped TV star Jussie Smollett stage a bogus hate crime on Jan. 29th have filed a defamation suit against the actor’s Hollywood-based attorneys.

The complaint filed this morning in Chicago’s federal courthouse seeks more than $75,000 each for Olabinjo “Ola” Osundairo and Abimbola “Bola” Osundairo from attorneys Mark Geragos and Tina Glandian as well as the Geragos & Geragos Law Firm.

Geragos and Glandian are accused of making defamatory public statements against the brothers that were published by local media outlets. Throughout the 16-page filing, lawyers for the Osundairos allege that the comments made by Geragos and Glandian went beyond legal representation as the criminal case against Smollett had been resolved when the actor's attorneys made the allegedly defamatory claims.

The suit focuses on statements made by Smollett’s legal team after criminal charges were wrapped up in a secretive and controversial emergency court hearing on March 26th.

“Faced with an outraged public,” the suit claims, Geragos and Glandian “doubled down” by accusing the Osundairos of leading “a criminally homophobic, racist and violent attack” against Smollett.

Geragos and Glandian “made these comments knowing they were untrue to distract from Mr. Smollett’s farce and to promote themselves and the Geragos & Geragos Law Firm,” the suit alleges...
http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/ni...-smollett.html

Link to the lawsuit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqw...2uS8_Wl-3/view
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #3620
Drewbot
Philosopher

Is the 'more than 75,000' mean that they are asking for $75,500.00?

Or is that a level of lawsuit? Meaning any amount over $75,000 falls into the level of lawsuit.

In other words would a lawsuit seeking 3,000,000.00 fall into the category of the court of over $75,000?

Small claims court for example is anything under $X,XXX , is over 75k a specific category?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #3621
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So, now that both sadhatter and theprestige have clearly implied that they consider objections to sitting on video of unjustified shootings in order to help a mayor's reelection campaign, beating and tazing a school child without cause and lying about it, and attaching car batteries to peoples' genitals to force false confessions out of them to be blaming "racist whitey" when a black person states them, I think we can ignore their racist claptrap and move on.
That's a lot of waffle, just to say: sadhatter and theprestige are racist whiteys
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #3622
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
"Nigerian brothers" sue Smollett attorneys for defamation

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/04/ni...-smollett.html

Link to the lawsuit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqw...2uS8_Wl-3/view
Geragos and Glandian are both white. And they defamed black men. Coincidence?
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #3623
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Is the 'more than 75,000' mean that they are asking for $75,500.00?

Or is that a level of lawsuit? Meaning any amount over $75,000 falls into the level of lawsuit.

In other words would a lawsuit seeking 3,000,000.00 fall into the category of the court of over $75,000?

Small claims court for example is anything under $X,XXX , is over 75k a specific category?
$75,000 is a lower bound needed to get into federal court. Perhaps moving it to the federal level was the reason.

Last edited by jsfisher; Yesterday at 11:02 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events