ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th March 2019, 10:14 PM   #121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils has released a statement, but it doesn't appear to be on their website at this time. It's reproduced on the Guardian live blog, to which I have linked several times.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:14 PM   #122
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, if you have hate crime laws already, it seems like that should include white supremacy.
We also have free speech. Simply being a White Supremacist isn't enough to be a crime. Acting on it is crime though.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:14 PM   #123
Baylor
Philosopher

A brave man tried to tackle the shooter but was shot just before he was able to grab ahold. Someone could've ran away while he distracted the gunman. Man died a hero.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:15 PM   #124
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Bill Shorten: “Do not watch the footage, that is what the bad people want us to do. This is not normal, do not make this violence normal. We must do everything we can to unite and prevent this happening again.”
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:15 PM   #125
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Fox News is reporting that someone did return fire.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/multiple-...ealand-mosques

Ranb
cullennz posted that a civilian managed to take a rifle from the shooter and fired at him as he fled.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:18 PM   #126
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The terrorist threats on this forum I am referring to are from anti-Trump, anti-white, pro-immigration extremists. Not an "illegal immigrant."
Except this was a Pro-Trump, white supremacist, anti-immigration extremist, the exact opposite of what you were going on about.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:20 PM   #127
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Appears the gunman live-streamed his action with a chest-mounted go-pro. I'm not going to look it up. Sicko.
I hope it's already been taken down.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:22 PM   #128
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
We also have free speech. Simply being a White Supremacist isn't enough to be a crime. Acting on it is crime though.
More and more though we have what is termed "hate speech", which some countries do not protect.

NZ has a very wide interpretation of free speech, though.

I expect re-examinations of free speech laws.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:23 PM   #129
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
More and more though we have what is termed "hate speech", which some countries do not protect.

NZ has a very wide interpretation of free speech, though.

I expect re-examinations of free speech laws.
I doubt it. Using harsh language is one thing, using bullets is something else.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:24 PM   #130
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of our news reporters are having trouble holding it together...

Old 14th March 2019, 10:25 PM   #131
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Real classy guy.

Maybe some people here should think about where this kind of bigotry..even the "non violent" kind..inevitably leads to.
In another thread here not long ago about the Baltimore synagogue terror attack, I took a poster on this forum to task for his (non-violent!) rhetoric about "white genocide" - which the synagogue attacker also believed in - explaining how true belief in such a concept must almost inevitably lead a believer to resort to armed resistance against the perceived perpetrators.

Now here again. The same BS about "intruders" and "our lands".

I no longer consider this rhetoric non-violent, by definition.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:25 PM   #132
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt it. Using harsh language is one thing, using bullets is something else.
The hate (that is escalating) leads to violence, imo.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:29 PM   #133
Baylor
Philosopher

Except this was a Pro-Trump, white supremacist, anti-immigration extremist, the exact opposite of what you were going on about.
The only thing I was "going on" about was terrorist threats, which I take very seriously regardless of "ideaology." It's frightening you and the rest ISF don't

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post12377521
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:30 PM   #134
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In another thread here not long ago about the Baltimore synagogue terror attack, I took a poster on this forum to task for his (non-violent!) rhetoric about "white genocide" - which the synagogue attacker also believed in - explaining how true belief in such a concept must almost inevitably lead a believer to resort to armed resistance against the perceived perpetrators.

It has never been "non violent". It's violent by definition, and it should not be covered by so called "free speech". This **** should be beaten down and silenced.

Fascism and white supremacy did not die in 1945. It's still here, and we need to take it seriously.

Last edited by Lambchops; 14th March 2019 at 10:34 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:31 PM   #135
Baylor
Philosopher

Neither the hi-lited nor the "taking to task" ever happened.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:32 PM   #136
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The only thing I was "going on" about was terrorist threats, which I take very seriously regardless of "ideaology." It's frightening you and the rest ISF don't

Well until an idiot right wing, racist, white supremacist came here and shot up a bunch of people who were peacefully going about their business, we had no reason to worry about it.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:34 PM   #137
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently there just happened to be a massive AOS (Police Armed Offenders Squad) training excersize happening in ChCh, which is why there was such a huge response city wide.

Probably bad to describe this as "a good thing", but kind of handy
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:35 PM   #138
Baylor
Philosopher

Well until an idiot right wing, racist, white supremacist came here and shot up a bunch of people who were peacefully going about their business, we had no reason to worry about it.
I'm not sure how you think this is a relevant reply to the discussion were having.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:37 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There is no such thing as non violent bigotry. Just flimsily disguised violent bigotry.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:37 PM   #140
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I'm not sure how you think this is a relevant reply to the discussion were having.
Then what is relevant? Spell it out for us so we don't have to guess.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:39 PM   #141
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Al Noor is the mosque shown in the video.

My guess is that he then drove to another mosque and did more killing.

No need for any accomplices. He was a one man killing machine.
That's where I am on it. I'm guessing the accomplices were supposed to drive the cars with petrol cans and blow them up but chickened out, thankfully.

Made completely ironic by the fact it ain't his land at all. He's an Australian.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:39 PM   #142
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Apparently there just happened to be a massive AOS (Police Armed Offenders Squad) training excersize happening in ChCh, which is why there was such a huge response city wide.

Probably bad to describe this as "a good thing", but kind of handy
And the Conspiracy kooks will go crazy over this.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #143
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Then what is relevant? Spell it out for us so we don't have to guess.
All terrorist threats should be taken seriously regardless of "ideaology."

Exactly what I said here

Old 14th March 2019, 10:41 PM   #144
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Armed Police have closed a street and are searching residences in Dunedin

Old 14th March 2019, 10:43 PM   #145
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Authorities are holding off on giving us any fatality numbers. This can't be good.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:46 PM   #146
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Authorities are holding off on giving us any fatality numbers. This can't be good.
They haven't removed the lock down and allowed many people in yet, just forensics people and other police officers. The PM is telling us that the death toll will be "significant."

Old 14th March 2019, 10:50 PM   #147
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

This the top story on CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and FOX News websites!

When we make a splash Internationally.....

Aussie PM is speaking on it and says that Australian Authorities will help however they can.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:52 PM   #148
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

NZ Herald is reporting at least 30 killed now.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:53 PM   #149
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This the top story on CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and FOX News websites!

When we make a splash Internationally.....

Aussie PM is speaking on it and says that Australian Authorities will help however they can.
Hate to say it, but NZ had not gotten this much attention since the LOTR films.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:53 PM   #150
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Australian citizenship confirmed by ScoMo. Looks like we're officially involved, folks.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:54 PM   #151
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They cancelled all domestic flights out of Chch because there is no baggage screening.

Guessing they will probably add that now at all airports, which will be annoying
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:57 PM   #152
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

They cancelled all domestic flights out of Chch because there is no baggage screening.

Guessing they will probably add that now at all airports, which will be annoying
Oh well.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:58 PM   #153
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Neither the hi-lited nor the "taking to task" ever happened.
You are right; the terror attack was in Pittsburgh.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:58 PM   #154
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

All terrorist threats should be taken seriously regardless of "ideaology."

Exactly what I said here

Sure. I clicked the link, and all I see is you cheering for children being locked in cages.

Nothing about actual terrorism, except for the whole innocent kids being treated like animals. But whatever.

Last edited by Lambchops; 14th March 2019 at 11:06 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:03 PM   #155
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Australian citizenship confirmed by ScoMo. Looks like we're officially involved, folks.
Media is now naming the shooter, confirming he is Brenton Tarrant, 28 years old from NSW, Australia.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:05 PM   #156
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Something tells me we won't be sending this bloke back

Unless you have harsher penalties, or nastier jails, then you can have him

Old 14th March 2019, 11:10 PM   #157
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Something tells me we won't be sending this bloke back

Unless you have harsher penalties, or nastier jails, then you can have him
Only the ones we put refugees in, unfortunately.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:14 PM   #158
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Only the ones we put refugees in, unfortunately.
That might work.....

Old 14th March 2019, 11:15 PM   #159
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That might work.....
While I'd be all for it, it's not going to happen.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:22 PM   #160
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

40 confirmed dead.

Officially been called an act of Terrorism now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events