ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th April 2019, 10:44 AM   #241
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I don't know about leggings in church, but space pants certainly have their place in fine dining establishments!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:24 PM   #242
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You might live living in the UK. When we did, I mostly embraced their quiet reserved nature, but occasionally I would randomly greet people to freak them out. It seems like the exact opposite of the American South, where friendly greetings are more of a staple.

carlitos - "HI!"
British dude - [looks up from feet, nods awkwardly]
I found the opposite. I am from an area where you greet pretty much everyone you pass walking on the street. Friends from other areas said they were weirded out when they visited me because it is unheard of where they live. However, they always smiled and returned the greeting. When I visited them I would greet people on the street and not once did I get an awkward response, invariably I got a broad smile and a cheerful response.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:33 PM   #243
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I'd say that very nearly 100% of leggings are worn (here and now) for being comfortable, nearly 0% to show off body parts
Exactly this . . . except opposite.

You want to believe that this one generation suddenly threw off millions of years of evolution to become these self aware robots living amongst us. I see it exactly opposite, they are the epitome of those millions of years of evolution and are completely unaware of what evolution has made them.

Sure $500 Lulu Lemon leggings are comfortable . . . but then you go home and change into lounge (sweat) pants that cost $20 to relax because they are more comfortable, so I really think you are full of ****.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 05:52 PM   #244
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say that very nearly 100% of leggings are worn (here and now) for being comfortable, nearly 0% to show off body parts
I can't see how you can speak to their motives. Some of them are showing off body parts. (Not all of them. The Muslim women who wear them under a dress are presumably seeking an extra layer of concealment.) Are they doing it because they want to show off body parts? Or despite the fact that they are showing off body parts? Or did they not give it any thought at all?

I'm guessing that most of them are at least aware that they are showing off body parts. For some of them, I would guess that this aspect, and the resultant attention, is something they don't want, but they put up with it for the sake of comfort. For some of them, it's an added bonus. Comfortable and sexy!

I suspect that for most of them, it varies depending on how much of a hurry they are in at the time, and who is providing the attention.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #245
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
My bad.

In the name of your father issues,
And of your shame,
And of your anything-goes-but-intercourse attitude,
So how you doin?
Pretty well, thanks for asking.

Lots of young women wearing tights at the gym today. None of the older women were. None of the men were. It was a good day.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:08 AM   #246
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I found the opposite. I am from an area where you greet pretty much everyone you pass walking on the street. Friends from other areas said they were weirded out when they visited me because it is unheard of where they live. However, they always smiled and returned the greeting. When I visited them I would greet people on the street and not once did I get an awkward response, invariably I got a broad smile and a cheerful response.
I live in Vermont, where it is common practice, for example, to wave at anyone driving past. Some people seem to be surprised, and owing to the speed of passing don't have a response, but few if any seem to be offended. It's just what one does, like saying hi to people you meet, or holding doors open.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:40 AM   #247
Steve
Illuminator

Today it's mostly sunny and mild here in Germany, after a longer spell with umcomfortable (not really cold, but far from warm) temperatures, I am off from work early, and have been doing an informal survey of what pants women wear to greet spring. First in the main shopping street of the blue collar city where I work (a significantly elevated proportion of people with migrant roots, often Turkish), and now in a street cafe in my more conservative little home town.

I see VERY few leggins! Young ladies mostly sport skin-tight pants, usually blue jeans, but also other colors and fabrics. The middle agers and the rest of the young ones wear more relaxed cuts. I see the occasional leggings on three types of women:
Middle aged women who otherwise wear other comfortable clothes
Muslimas who wear them under dresses, skirts or hijabs
People working out on their bicycles, skates or jogging shoes.

Just did my own informal survey walking from my office to my car in downtown Vancouver. 10 of 24 women were wearing leggings. None of them were engaged in any type of exercise, just walking along the street. 7 were wearing super tight jeans that might as well have been leggings, and 7 were wearing loose pants of various styles. None wore skirts/dresses.

I conclude that styles that show the shapes of legs and butts are predominant here. I assume that those so dressed are fully aware of that feature. I also assume that those so dressed are comfortable with being viewed by others and are not expecting anyone to avert their gaze. I cannot say if they are comfortable for the wearers.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:47 AM   #248
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

In all seriousness, the whole "women who dress like that are too provocative for men to resist the temptation to have sex with them" is perhaps the sleaziest most despicable argument anyone can make. Like.... how about grow up? You know how many hot chicks I find when walking around New York? (especially in summer) I would never go and grab their ass and then be like "Hey, what can I tell you? You were asking for it with that outfit".

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 12:49 PM   #249
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I think you missed the point. You are assuming a particular message from a MAGA hat, which may be different from the message intended by it's wearer. Similarly someone might assume a particular message from the wearer of leggings, which might be different from the message intended by it's wearer.

This. Certain people on this forum, like dann, assume that wearing a MAGA hat is always provocative regardless of the intentions of the wearer. This is the same kind of thinking involved in assuming that hawt clothes are always a provocation regardless of the intentions of the wearer.

Itís that kind of thinking that is wrong, not what people choose to wear.
Old 10th April 2019, 12:56 PM   #250
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
In all seriousness, the whole "women who dress like that are too provocative for men to resist the temptation to have sex with them" is perhaps the sleaziest most despicable argument anyone can make. Like.... how about grow up? You know how many hot chicks I find when walking around New York? (especially in summer) I would never go and grab their ass and then be like "Hey, what can I tell you? You were asking for it with that outfit".
It also makes men look really bad, as just mindless sex fiends who are gonna salivate at an exposed piece of skin like wolves at red meat.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 01:01 PM   #251
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Exactly this . . . except opposite.

You want to believe that this one generation suddenly threw off millions of years of evolution to become these self aware robots living amongst us. I see it exactly opposite, they are the epitome of those millions of years of evolution and are completely unaware of what evolution has made them.

Sure $500 Lulu Lemon leggings are comfortable . . . but then you go home and change into lounge (sweat) pants that cost $20 to relax because they are more comfortable, so I really think you are full of ****.
I reported what I had observed live in the streets I walked the previous 2 hours or so. I don't think I saw any $500 Lulu Lemon leggings (as if I could identify them ). I literally did not see a single woman of ANY generation that wore leggins to show off legs, arse, or anything.

Not
a
single
one.

ALL of them - no exception! - looked a lot like being COMFORTABLE or practical was their main consideration when selecting the wardrobe for the day.

Okay?

It may be different in other countries or places, or at other times. Sure.

But don't tell me I am full of asteriscs when I tell you of freshly observed facts!
Old 10th April 2019, 01:09 PM   #252
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I can't see how you can speak to their motives....
I can make inferences by their OTHER clothes - are they generally flashy, fashionable, expensive, etc., or are they generally comfortable, cheap, practical?

The thing is: I did not see any women who wore leggins AND actually showed off any body parts.
They just did not.
Butts were generally covered by other garments, for example. Or there isn't much to be shown off. Or the effect of showing of legs is counteracted by sloppy, flat shoes.

Like I said, there were far more who wore skin-tight blue jeans, and not few of them looked like they were showing off, or made their other clothes match that impression by leaving the butt (clad in tight denim) exposed, or by having the denim "destroyed", i.e. peek holes. Or by wearing elevated heals. Or by having butt pockets bling. Or by sporting big hair, noticable make-up. Etc

WHat I am saying is that all of those who wore leggins DIFFERED from the rest by appearing LESS showy.
Old 10th April 2019, 01:24 PM   #253
Steve
Illuminator

I can make inferences by their OTHER clothes - are they generally flashy, fashionable, expensive, etc., or are they generally comfortable, cheap, practical?

The thing is: I did not see any women who wore leggins AND actually showed off any body parts.
They just did not.
Butts were generally covered by other garments, for example. Or there isn't much to be shown off. Or the effect of showing of legs is counteracted by sloppy, flat shoes.

Like I said, there were far more who wore skin-tight blue jeans, and not few of them looked like they were showing off, or made their other clothes match that impression by leaving the butt (clad in tight denim) exposed, or by having the denim "destroyed", i.e. peek holes. Or by wearing elevated heals. Or by having butt pockets bling. Or by sporting big hair, noticable make-up. Etc

WHat I am saying is that all of those who wore leggins DIFFERED from the rest by appearing LESS showy.
Different locations, different observations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events