ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Man slashed by MAGA-hatted assailant shouting homophobic slurs

It happened outside a roller-skating rink in San Francisco on Sunday night, where the victim said he was approached by another man wearing a red MAGA cap who engaged him in a heated argument.

During the argument the victim reached for the hat, whereupon the MAGAttacker drew a sword and slashed at him before taking off running. The victim started giving chase but quickly stopped when he realized he was bleeding profusely. Bystanders called 911 and performed first aid until paramedics arrived.

According to police a witness at the scene but not of the attack itself reported having seen a man in the immediate area shortly before the incident, wearing a MAGA cap with a (what the witness presumed at the time was fake) sword tucked into the back of his jacket, who had been shouting homophobic slurs.

The incident is mildly reminiscent of the Jussie Smollett incident, in Chicago - but with some key differences. In this case the victim was found at the location of the incident immediately afterwards and received medical attention for what by all accounts were genuine injuries - photos of the bloody scene were later shared on social media. The MAGA hat, knocked off the attacker's head during the attack, was also photographed at the scene but otherwise left there untouched by bystanders until police arrived. And a secondary witness, not the victim, who saw the assailant shortly prior to the attack attributed homophobic remarks to him.

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st April 2019 at 10:35 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher

This is the second sighting of MAGAninjas this year. However the police asked if anyone had seen someone dressed as a pirate (not kidding, it's in the article). These have got to be the world's laziest cops.
Old 1st April 2019, 11:25 PM   #3
Hungry81
Master Poster

I hope they put an immediate APB out on anything matching the description of a hot sauce bottle.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Venom
Master Poster

The stupidity of every joke by MAGA ****s on social media referencing Jussie Smollett...

They will forever live in the Jussie story. It's the only thing they've got in the face of 99% of the MAGA related incidents that occur.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 11:46 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The stupidity of every joke by MAGA ****s on social media referencing Jussie Smollett...

They will forever live in the Jussie story. It's the only thing they've got in the face of 99% of the MAGA related incidents that occur.
But it is a pretty good one though.

And has the added value of being extremely funny
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:11 AM   #6
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Kino Jimenez to the rescue!!!!
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:13 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
This is the second sighting of MAGAninjas this year. However the police asked if anyone had seen someone dressed as a pirate (not kidding, it's in the article). These have got to be the world's laziest cops.
Don't sully the good name of ninjas, please.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:15 AM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Gay people will clearly go to great lengths to hurt Trumps reputation.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:37 AM   #9
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It happened outside a roller-skating rink in San Francisco on Sunday night, where the victim said he was approached by another man wearing a red MAGA cap who engaged him in a heated argument.

During the argument the victim reached for the hat, whereupon the MAGAttacker drew a sword and slashed at him before taking off running. The victim started giving chase but quickly stopped when he realized he was bleeding profusely. Bystanders called 911 and performed first aid until paramedics arrived.

According to police a witness at the scene but not of the attack itself reported having seen a man in the immediate area shortly before the incident, wearing a MAGA cap with a (what the witness presumed at the time was fake) sword tucked into the back of his jacket, who had been shouting homophobic slurs.

The incident is mildly reminiscent of the Jussie Smollett incident, in Chicago - but with some key differences. In this case the victim was found at the location of the incident immediately afterwards and received medical attention for what by all accounts were genuine injuries - photos of the bloody scene were later shared on social media. The MAGA hat, knocked off the attacker's head during the attack, was also photographed at the scene but otherwise left there untouched by bystanders until police arrived. And a secondary witness, not the victim, who saw the assailant shortly prior to the attack attributed homophobic remarks to him.
"You touch my hat and I'll cut you." Seriously though, why is it Trump haters are always reaching for the hat? It seems to happen with astonishing regularity... "I hate Trump, give me your offensive headgear!!!" When did that sort of thing become acceptable?

Last edited by Mike!; 2nd April 2019 at 05:39 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:43 AM   #10
dann
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:48 AM   #11
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like self defense. Reaching for another person's head during an argument could look like the start of battery.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:50 AM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
"You touch my hat and I'll cut you." Seriously though, why is it Trump haters are always reaching for the hat? It seems to happen with astonishing regularity... "I hate Trump, give me your offensive headgear!!!" When did that sort of thing become acceptable?
Not to defend this attacker, but supposedly forcibly pulling someone's hijab off of their head would constitute an assault and a hate crime. (There have been a number of such incidents reported, some of which have turned out to be false reports, but it is usually described as an assault and a hate crime.)

So, if forcibly removing a person's head covering is an assault and potentially a hate crime, then the same is true if you remove someone's hat.

Again, I say this not to defend the assailant, but to point out the double standard.
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:51 AM   #13
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I recall reading a published transcript of the trial of “Stacker” Lee for the murder of Billy Lyon...An incident that has been the subject of literally hundreds of versions of the same song.

Apparently the dispute started when Lyon “dissed” Lee’s fancy Stetson hat... Which was a insult in that community equivalent to the glove-slap preceding a formal duel in European society.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:52 AM   #14
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Not to defend this attacker, but supposedly forcibly pulling someone's hijab off of their head would constitute an assault and a hate crime. (There have been a number of such incidents reported, some of which have turned out to be false reports, but it is usually described as an assault and a hate crime.)

So, if forcibly removing a person's head covering is an assault and potentially a hate crime, then the same is true if you remove someone's hat.

Again, I say this not to defend the assailant, but to point out the double standard.
The hijab is a religious symbol. The MAGA-hat is a symbol of hate. No equivalence.

With that said, don't go pulling people's hats off unless you're ready for a confrontation. In this case, the MAGA-moron apparently started the confrontation, so it doesn't really apply here.

ETA: Just so we don't get our usual suspects running too far with this narrative: This incident didn't start with someone trying to grab the MAGA-boi's hat.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 2nd April 2019 at 06:53 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:55 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The hijab is a religious symbol. The MAGA-hat is a symbol of hate.
Not at all wearing a MAGA-hat is a religious requirement for all MAGAists. See this lawsuit.

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/17/mag...happiest-hour/

Like all worshipers of the godking Individual One how else should they express their devotion?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:55 AM   #16
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Does anyone here honestly think that stealing someone's hat is sufficient threat to utilize lethal force? not to mention that our MAGA hero was out trolling for a fight by seeking out gay people to taunt while armed with a sword. Somehow I think a jury would be less than sympathetic to such a self-defense claim.
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:57 AM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Does anyone here honestly think that stealing someone's hat is sufficient threat to utilize lethal force? not to mention that our MAGA hero was out trolling for a fight by seeking out gay people to taunt while armed with a sword. Somehow I think a jury would be less than sympathetic to such a self-defense claim.
It does seem fairly common for stand your ground issues. I mean how else was he supposed to stand his ground?
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:02 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It does seem fairly common for stand your ground issues. I mean how else was he supposed to stand his ground?
You've convinced me. I hope our poor victim pops into a police station so he can report this horrible battery that was inflicted on his person.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:09 AM   #19
Thermal
Philosopher

So the victims hand was 'partially severed', according to dann's video? I feel comfortable ruling out a hoax for the time being. Jussie certainly didn't have that kind of commitment.

Some thoughts, and I guess I should put that in scare quotes:

What kind of ninja wears a bright red hat? Do these guys not get 'the art of invisibility'?

Speaking of criticizing hats, the people interviewed might want to do a little self-reflection. One had on a white sequin-studded top hat, and the other a black leather cowboy hat.

And to call out the ninja elephant in the room: the MAGAninja was claimed to have his sword in his back under his coat. There has been much online discussion elsewhere about how it is impossible to draw a sword strapped to your back unless you are quadruple-jointed and with telescoping arms, unless the sword is very short and the handle sticking out over your own head. Drawing it from under a coat would likely get caught up and cut you up pretty good before getting it out, assuming you had the requisite telescoping arms.

If the victim knocked off the MAGAninjahat, could the assailant claim self-defense? Seems so, although the sword requires some 'splainin, Lucy.

Have the Osundario Brother's whereabouts been accounted for?

**** keeps me up at night.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:11 AM   #20
Thermal
Philosopher

Combination of a trophy, and application of knocking the chip off someone's shoulder.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:15 AM   #21
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
So the victims hand was 'partially severed', according to dann's video? I feel comfortable ruling out a hoax for the time being. Jussie certainly didn't have that kind of commitment.

Some thoughts, and I guess I should put that in scare quotes:

What kind of ninja wears a bright red hat? Do these guys not get 'the art of invisibility'?

Speaking of criticizing hats, the people interviewed might want to do a little self-reflection. One had on a white sequin-studded top hat, and the other a black leather cowboy hat.

And to call out the ninja elephant in the room: the MAGAninja was claimed to have his sword in his back under his coat. There has been much online discussion elsewhere about how it is impossible to draw a sword strapped to your back unless you are quadruple-jointed and with telescoping arms, unless the sword is very short and the handle sticking out over your own head. Drawing it from under a coat would likely get caught up and cut you up pretty good before getting it out, assuming you had the requisite telescoping arms.

If the victim knocked off the MAGAninjahat, could the assailant claim self-defense? Seems so, although the sword requires some 'splainin, Lucy.

Have the Osundario Brother's whereabouts been accounted for?

**** keeps me up at night.
I completely agree. There is no way the sword could have been drawn, thus no attack could have happened. FAKE!

Or alternately...

I completely agree. All those videos and articles claiming swords strapped to backs cannot be drawn easily or quickly are wrong. FAKE!
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:15 AM   #22
ahhell
Master Poster

The story as told seem likely true but, San Francisco, more likely a crazy homeless person than a crazy conservative but we shall see. I doubt they ever find the guy.

Also, sword/big knife whatever.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:15 AM   #23
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Can you explain what this means? I don't get it
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:17 AM   #24
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I completely agree. There is no way the sword could have been drawn, thus no attack could have happened. FAKE!

Or alternately...

I completely agree. All those videos and articles claiming swords strapped to backs cannot be drawn easily or quickly are wrong. FAKE!
Kidding aside, I am assuming the weapon will turn out to be something shorter, like one of those elaborate fantasy knives, that witnesses mistook for a sword.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:19 AM   #25
pharphis
Graduate Poster

The hijab is a religious symbol. The MAGA-hat is a symbol of hate. No equivalence.

With that said, don't go pulling people's hats off unless you're ready for a confrontation. In this case, the MAGA-moron apparently started the confrontation, so it doesn't really apply here.

ETA: Just so we don't get our usual suspects running too far with this narrative: This incident didn't start with someone trying to grab the MAGA-boi's hat.
uh oh.

Of course it's absurd to pretend that one's political apparel is somehow worse than one's religious apparel (this goes for more than Islamic clothes, btw). Supporting a presidency does not automatically mean you are hateful. I know, Trump is hitler and all that but again people have different reasons and priorities for their beliefs. I don't assume all Muslims HATE gay people, for example, even though almost all of them believe it is a sin and a large proportion of the world's muslim population believes it should be punishable by death.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:22 AM   #26
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Anyway, self-defense makes (some) sense BUT obviously if a sharp weapon was used then way too much force was used in retaliation, imo.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:24 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Kidding aside, I am assuming the weapon will turn out to be something shorter, like one of those elaborate fantasy knives, that witnesses mistook for a sword.
My money is on a common machete. Cheap, widely available, effective at maiming strangers, and often come with some sort of cheapy sheath
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:26 AM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

My money is on a common machete. Cheap, widely available, effective at maiming strangers, and often come with some sort of cheapy sheath
Agreed, good bet
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:28 AM   #29
Thermal
Philosopher

Query to 'Friscans: y'all have CCW n this area? If th MAGAninja had a legit CCW, would a bladed weapon fall into the category of concealed dangerous weapon, although we usually think of a gun in those terms?
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:29 AM   #30
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

To quote The Dude, that's just, like, your opinion, man. Not an objective fact. Some people see the hijab as a symbol of oppression (opinion of a Muslim woman). A tool for the subjugation of women. In many countries women are required to wear a hijab, niqab, or burka and can be punished severely if they don't. The religious/secular distinction is irrelevant.

Quote:

Supposedly the MAGA-moron started the "verbal" confrontation, but the alleged victim started the physical one by reaching for the hat. Since the hat ended up on the ground he must have actually pulled it off. I think the MAGA-moron was trying to provoke a fight though, so that he could cut someone with a sword and claim self-defense.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:31 AM   #31
Thermal
Philosopher

Wait, where did you see that? The assailant was reported by others to be walking around in circles using slurs. Supremely dickish, but legal. The first physical exchange I read was of the hat being knocked off by the victim. You read otherwise?
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:43 AM   #32
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Considering the date around which this was reported, I think I'll refrain from commenting further.

Hans
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:21 AM   #33
Thermal
Philosopher

More good stuff:

The pirate thing: police say a man dressed as a pirate with MAGA hat had been harassing people with slurs around there for a while.

The guy with the white sequin studded top hat (rink owner Miles, or Sk8father) says the sword was about two feet long. Sounds machete sized, but based on the pirate getup, maybe a functional cutlass? Might explain why people claim to have seen the sword before the attack, but didn't think it was real.

The victim chased the MAGAninja (do we have to switch to a pirate theme now?) for a while, not realizing how bad he was cut. Captain RedHat was evidently flipped off by the victim, which was why the hand was cut so badly.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...507902231.html
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:30 AM   #34
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

More good stuff:

The pirate thing: police say a man dressed as a pirate with MAGA hat had been harassing people with slurs around there for a while.

The guy with the white sequin studded top hat (rink owner Miles, or Sk8father) says the sword was about two feet long. Sounds machete sized, but based on the pirate getup, maybe a functional cutlass? Might explain why people claim to have seen the sword before the attack, but didn't think it was real.

The victim chased the MAGAninja (do we have to switch to a pirate theme now?) for a while, not realizing how bad he was cut. Captain RedHat was evidently flipped off by the victim, which was why the hand was cut so badly.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...507902231.html
That story differs from the other one, in that it doesn't mention that the alleged victim reached for the assailant's hat first, while the other one doesn't mention the flipping off. I wouldn't put too much stock in either version yet.
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:32 AM   #35
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone here honestly think that stealing someone's hat is sufficient threat to utilize lethal force?
Deadly force, not lethal force. And no, I don't think anyone here thinks that, because no one here expressed that opinion.

Quote:
not to mention that our MAGA hero was out trolling for a fight by seeking out gay people to taunt while armed with a sword.
Which suggests some mental instability.

So what kind of moron, when presented with a sword-wielding lunatic, decides it's a good idea to try to steal their hat? And to make it obvious, I'm not saying the sword attack was an appropriate or even legally justifiable response, but still: who is that stupid?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:40 AM   #36
sadhatter
Philosopher

Want there a synagogue fire that was false as well?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:42 AM   #37
sadhatter
Philosopher

Was sword carrying legal in his area? If so that is going to have an impact.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:43 AM   #38
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Deadly force, not lethal force. And no, I don't think anyone here thinks that, because no one here expressed that opinion.
Such a thing is implied if self-defense is mentioned, at least if we are presuming any modicum of lawful self defense. Given the absurdly disproportionate levels of force, any such claim of self-defense is absurd.

Quote:
Which suggests some mental instability.

So what kind of moron, when presented with a sword-wielding lunatic, decides it's a good idea to try to steal their hat? And to make it obvious, I'm not saying the sword attack was an appropriate or even legally justifiable response, but still: who is that stupid?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 2nd April 2019 at 08:48 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:43 AM   #39
sadhatter
Philosopher

I was guessing sharp but decorative or stage ready. If you are just looking to slash someone and don't need durability a wall hanger could work.
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:44 AM   #40
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Something is definitely not right here. There are insane people in the world, so anything is possible, but pirate homophobic maga hat wearers really makes me think something is odd about this story. Unfortunately, I'm at work so I can't look it up.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events