ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:19 AM   #81
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
A move that any reasonable person would respond to with lethal force.
Absolutely; as we've seen from the Florida theater shooting, even a handful of popcorn when thrown at your face is a potentially deadly attack. A man needs to be able to defend himself first, and worry about actually assessing the situation later.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:53 AM   #82
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No, it's not absurd. A hate symbol isn't comparable with a religious head-apparell.
Both groups have a minority that want to chuck gays off buildings,I see 6 of one a half dozen of the other. You want to support scummy organizations, I have no time you, not if the reason is you like a white guy in power or you don't want to give up your fantasy.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:56 AM   #83
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...209868614.html

The judge didn't accept Magaism as a real religion but it really is only a matter of time.
You lied to prove a point again. And missed the in joke the idiot was making.

Search " worship of the god emperor ".
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:21 AM   #84
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
March 31st, 2019?
Yeah, well.. I suppose it just sounded so bizarre....

Hans
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:46 AM   #85
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I can buy almost everything about this story but one: Somebody was walking around in the Western Addition of San Francisco wearing a MAGA hat?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:50 AM   #86
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You lied to prove a point again. And missed the in joke the idiot was making.

Search " worship of the god emperor ".
What point that wearing a red hat makes him immune to harrasing the waitstaff? He wasn't actually kicked out for wearing a maga hat, he was kicked out for being an obnoxious jerk to the people there. But it was simply quicker and easier to point out that he had no legal case even if everything he claimed was true happened. That was the quickest and hence cheapest way for the bar to deal with the lawsuit.

I know red hats really should put one above any and all dictates of civil society as his joke was all about.

"The bar denied Piatek's claim that he was refused service, and produced receipts, obtained by Gothamist, that showed Piatek actually left a $36 tip on his $182 tab. His layer told the site Piatek has "such a good heart that he’s going to tip no matter."

On Wednesday, a judge called the complaint "petty" and threw it out. After peppering Liggieri with questions about what exactly his MAGA-hat related creed entailed, Justice David Cohen said Piatek "does not state any faith-based principle to which the hat relates," according to the New York Post.
"At the Happiest Hour we firmly support womens’ rights, marriage equality, gun control, the environment, and regard for the truth- we don’t discriminate," he wrote. "What's gotten lost in this story is that the guest wasn't kicked out because he was wearing a Trump hat- he was asked to leave after being verbally abusive to our staff, which is something we don't tolerate regardless of who you are""

A red hat totally entitles you to be rude to the staff, that is what his joke was all about I guess.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:52 AM   #87
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I can buy almost everything about this story but one: Somebody was walking around in the Western Addition of San Francisco wearing a MAGA hat?
Had to bounce from Chicago yo
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:54 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Both groups have a minority that want to chuck gays off buildings,I see 6 of one a half dozen of the other. You want to support scummy organizations, I have no time you, not if the reason is you like a white guy in power or you don't want to give up your fantasy.
Except that there is a big difference here. One has a clear leader who regularly advocates racist policies, war crimes and promotes hatred and violence. The other is a large group of ethnicity with no definitive leader and hence lacks that unifying voice that Trump gives the maga hat wearers.

I mean sure you are right like with white supremacists I am sure there are fine people who wear trump hats like the fine people who go to white supremacist rally's and protests.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:58 AM   #89
pharphis
Master Poster

No, it's not absurd. A hate symbol isn't comparable with a religious head-apparell.
1) A political hat isn't a hate symbol just because you say it is. I know you strongly feel that it is one but the people who wear it (and many who don't) don't feel that it is a hate symbol. To boil Trump et al. down to just "hate" is frankly juvenile.

2) The exact same reasoning applies to religious clothing. The people who wear it don't think it is hateful. They wear it for a mix of reasons - some being threat of isolation (for not being a "good Muslim"), some being religious fervor and some just being straight-forward devotion to thinking it is the right thing to do. Yet, some people do perceive it as a "hate symbol".

You've made no actual distinction for why one is a "hate symbol" and the other is not.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:01 AM   #90
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
1) A political hat isn't a hate symbol just because you say it is. I know you strongly feel that it is one but the people who wear it (and many who don't) don't feel that it is a hate symbol. To boil Trump et al. down to just "hate" is frankly juvenile.
Just like flying confederate flags. You get to ignore what the actual confederates said and make seem like it is about what ever you want it to be, and of course everyone knows what it is really about.

This would be like claiming all members of the KKK are bad when as we know there are many fine people in such groups.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:02 AM   #91
pharphis
Master Poster

Except that there is a big difference here. One has a clear leader who regularly advocates racist policies, war crimes and promotes hatred and violence. The other is a large group of ethnicity with no definitive leader and hence lacks that unifying voice that Trump gives the maga hat wearers.

I mean sure you are right like with white supremacists I am sure there are fine people who wear trump hats like the fine people who go to white supremacist rally's and protests.
Well there is a unifying holy book. They just disagree over all the details (like every religion and every political movement). The biggest commonality is general support for Islam, however that varies in definition. For trump supporters, the biggest commonality is general support for Trump's presidency or politics, however ill-defined most of this is.
I think you'll find Trump supporters will disagree over virtually everything as well (ex: was Trump lying about this? misquoted? actually wrong? trolling? etc etc.)
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:04 AM   #92
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. It's San Francisco, so the roller rink, the sequins, the pirate, the sword, and the ranting are all pretty believable.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:08 AM   #93
pharphis
Master Poster

Just like flying confederate flags. You get to ignore what the actual confederates said and make seem like it is about what ever you want it to be, and of course everyone knows what it is really about.

This would be like claiming all members of the KKK are bad when as we know there are many fine people in such groups.
Right, just like those claiming religious symbols are not hate symbols because you can just ignore what the "actual Muslims" say.

https://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/...-about-sharia/

Sharia IS political, according to actual Muslims, but I would maintain my position that politics and religious ideologies don't get separate, special treatment whether they overlap or not.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:14 AM   #94
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well there is a unifying holy book. They just disagree over all the details (like every religion and every political movement). The biggest commonality is general support for Islam, however that varies in definition. For trump supporters, the biggest commonality is general support for Trump's presidency or politics, however ill-defined most of this is.
I think you'll find Trump supporters will disagree over virtually everything as well (ex: was Trump lying about this? misquoted? actually wrong? trolling? etc etc.)
They are expressing their love of a man who's most constant policy has been based on racism and lies to support the racism. It seems like when people showed up at the charlotsville protest and realized they were surrounded by the KKK and Nazi's on their own side and said "Well hey we are not all nazis, just because so many of us fly white supremacist flags and are at a march organized by white supremacists". Then people get all mad when you refuse to accept that there were many fine people on both sides and you can't call everyone marching in a march organized by white supremacists and alongside white supremacists, white supremacists.

Yes I really do get all that. And when you openly show how much you support racism and white supremacy by wearing such a hat I know a lot about you.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:18 AM   #95
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Right, just like those claiming religious symbols are not hate symbols because you can just ignore what the "actual Muslims" say.

https://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/...-about-sharia/

Sharia IS political, according to actual Muslims, but I would maintain my position that politics and religious ideologies don't get separate, special treatment whether they overlap or not.
Yea and of course sharia law is like saying christian law, something republicans are really so much in favor of. There really isn't any kind of uniformity and certainly not a codified list of sharia law. So you can't even get Muslim scholars to agree what really is sharia law.

I mean we see lots of people arguing in the republican party for christian based laws(really the same thing as sharia law just a different religion) yet none of them seem to be favoring a traditional christian law of putting anyone who translates or publishes a translation of the bible in the vulgar to death. That is one of the most traditional christian beliefs in that law right there and it gains no traction by all those people trying to put christian principles into law.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:13 PM   #96
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well the hat and the bloody sidewalk are the two things about this case that the public has photographic documentary evidence of, so you kind of have to believe that part of it...
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:04 PM   #97
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well the hat and the bloody sidewalk are the two things about this case that the public has photographic documentary evidence of, so you kind of have to believe that part of it...
Given the documentary evidence, I'm in the "unbelievable but true" camp on this one.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:42 PM   #98
The Big Dog

******* tries to swipe a hat off another guy's head, almost loses his hand.

Instant karma.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:46 PM   #99
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It happened outside a roller-skating rink in San Francisco on Sunday night, where the victim said he was approached by another man wearing a red MAGA cap who engaged him in a heated argument.

During the argument the victim reached for the hat, whereupon the MAGAttacker drew a sword and slashed at him before taking off running. The victim started giving chase but quickly stopped when he realized he was bleeding profusely. Bystanders called 911 and performed first aid until paramedics arrived.

According to police a witness at the scene but not of the attack itself reported having seen a man in the immediate area shortly before the incident, wearing a MAGA cap with a (what the witness presumed at the time was fake) sword tucked into the back of his jacket, who had been shouting homophobic slurs.

The incident is mildly reminiscent of the Jussie Smollett incident, in Chicago - but with some key differences. In this case the victim was found at the location of the incident immediately afterwards and received medical attention for what by all accounts were genuine injuries - photos of the bloody scene were later shared on social media. The MAGA hat, knocked off the attacker's head during the attack, was also photographed at the scene but otherwise left there untouched by bystanders until police arrived. And a secondary witness, not the victim, who saw the assailant shortly prior to the attack attributed homophobic remarks to him.
He may have been wearing a MAGA hat but this was done without permission homophobia is not part of the Trump supporting people.
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:09 PM   #100
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Weird things that may have rational explanations:

There are no reports with any description of the attacker. Nothing about age, height, weight, hair, race or other appearance, etc.

The attacker didn't take his hat when he fled.

It's reported that the victim chased after the fleeing attacker until he realized how badly he was injured (hand said to be nearly severed). Photos show a large blood puddle next to the hat and also medical scissors. This is on the corner almost directly at the skating rink entrance door. Is this where the attack initially occurred with the hat falling to the ground? Did the victim chase the attacker and then return back to the location of the attack where he stayed and then did most of the bleeding?

The police have still not collected the hat by the time the victim and paramedics have left. Bystanders photographed the hat next to the big pool of blood which is already drying out and the scissors are there. No cops in sight. Did the police ever collect the hat for DNA or fingerprints?
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:12 PM   #101
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Metro Weekly
Posting on Twitter, Scott Sweeney said that he and his girlfriend passed the man as they were walking into the roller rink.

“Tonight, a #MAGA chud targeted a queer friendly roller skating event in San Francisco. We had seen him earlier as we were going in, he called us faggots,” he wrote. “He followed us up to the event with a sword, we made it in okay, but he attacked someone outside. **** white supremacy.”

Sweeney expanded on the incident in follow-up tweets.

“My girlfriend and I had to get cash for the roller skating event from a convenience store across the street,” he wrote. “We went there, got cash and a beer, and walked out. Leaning against the wall 15ft away from the convenience store was a man with a MAGA hat, we walked by him.

“He glared at us, we noticed the hat and the glare and flipped him off. He started yelling homophobic slurs at us. We walked across the street back to the roller skating event and drank the beer next to the entrance. He was staring at us the whole time.”

Sweeney continued: “We finished the beer, walked up to the entrance and waited in line to pay for tickets just outside the doors to get in. We then saw him walk up the stairs (hat now turned backwards), and poke his head in the door then walk back. He walked by us and under his breath said ‘not my scene’ to me and my girlfriend before turning his back to his. As he turned his back to us, we noticed a large item tucked in the back of his jacket with what looked like a sword handle poking out the top.”

Sweeney and his girlfriend were sufficiently “weirded out” by the man that they “shuffled quickly into the lobby” of the roller rink.

Speaking to the Chronicle, Sweeney said that they only realized the sword was real when they saw the victim’s blood on the sidewalk.

“In my mind I didn’t think it was a real sword until we came out later and police were on the scene and there was blood and the hat on ground,” he said...
https://www.metroweekly.com/2019/04/...-san-francisco

He says all of that and yet still no description of the guy.
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:20 PM   #102
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Weird things that may have rational explanations:

There are no reports with any description of the attacker. Nothing about age, height, weight, hair, race or other appearance, etc.
I assume that the police asked about all of those things, but the news media that reports the information didn't think it was newsworthy. In my opinion, the hat isn't very newsworthy, but obviously the people who deliver news do not agree.

Quote:
The attacker didn't take his hat when he fled.
That part is, in my opinion, not weird in the least. The attacker wanted to get the heck out of there. He can always get another hat.

Quote:
It's reported that the victim chased after the fleeing attacker until he realized how badly he was injured (hand said to be nearly severed). Photos show a large blood puddle next to the hat and also medical scissors. This is on the corner almost directly at the skating rink entrance door. Is this where the attack initially occurred with the hat falling to the ground? Did the victim chase the attacker and then return back to the location of the attack where he stayed and then did most of the bleeding?

Yeah. Kind of odd, that. And, if he was chasing the attacker, who was the actual attacker here? Of course one possible explanation is that the "chase" was really only a step or two. "I started to chase him, but then realized I was bleeding pretty badly."

Quote:
The police have still not collected the hat by the time the victim and paramedics have left. Bystanders photographed the hat next to the big pool of blood which is already drying out and the scissors are there. No cops in sight. Did the police ever collect the hat for DNA or fingerprints?
Did they treat it like a crime scene at all? Were they intending to do an investigation? And, generally, would they even leave a puddle of blood like that? At work, our safety training includes instructions on how to clean up blood, which is treated as a biohazard. In this day and age, wouldn't police stick around until it's cleaned up? I'm wondering if the chosen camera shot just doesn't show the cops, who were still on the scene.

I'm still leaning toward weird guy muttering to himself with occasional outbursts, followed by aggressive approach by people who decide to knock of the MAGA hat and threaten the wearer, followed by overreaction that includes drawing and wielding some sort of long, sharp, sword-like, weapon.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:07 PM   #103
pharphis
Master Poster

They are expressing their love of a man who's most constant policy has been based on racism and lies to support the racism. It seems like when people showed up at the charlotsville protest and realized they were surrounded by the KKK and Nazi's on their own side and said "Well hey we are not all nazis, just because so many of us fly white supremacist flags and are at a march organized by white supremacists". Then people get all mad when you refuse to accept that there were many fine people on both sides and you can't call everyone marching in a march organized by white supremacists and alongside white supremacists, white supremacists.

Yes I really do get all that. And when you openly show how much you support racism and white supremacy by wearing such a hat I know a lot about you.
I doubt your opponents will agree with this assessment. I don't have issue calling white supremacists white supremacists, and I believe the charlottesville incident contains many of them. However, it's silly to keep insisting they represent a majority of a large group of people (trump supporters/republicans/etc. ie what, at least 25% of the USA?).
Let's not forget that there are single-issue voters, after all, as well as those who just vote along party lines (ie most people)

Yea and of course sharia law is like saying christian law, something republicans are really so much in favor of. There really isn't any kind of uniformity and certainly not a codified list of sharia law. So you can't even get Muslim scholars to agree what really is sharia law.

I mean we see lots of people arguing in the republican party for christian based laws(really the same thing as sharia law just a different religion) yet none of them seem to be favoring a traditional christian law of putting anyone who translates or publishes a translation of the bible in the vulgar to death. That is one of the most traditional christian beliefs in that law right there and it gains no traction by all those people trying to put christian principles into law.
I'm mostly in agreement except the highlighted.

Are their "trump scholars" ? The point is what the majority of people within a group believe and support. I don't know how much you looked at the pew page I posted but there is a whole lot of "50%+ Muslims believe X" (X being a pretty terrible thing)
Old 4th April 2019, 12:03 AM   #104
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quote:
“My girlfriend and I had to get cash for the roller skating event from a convenience store across the street,” he wrote. “We went there, got cash and a beer, and walked out. Leaning against the wall 15ft away from the convenience store was a man with a MAGA hat, we walked by him.

“He glared at us, we noticed the hat and the glare and flipped him off. He started yelling homophobic slurs at us.

Well gee that changes the story a little bit at least. They provoked this man and he followed them across the street where the incident later occurred. Is that how it went down? Flipping the bird to random angry looking strangers is pretty stupid.
Old 4th April 2019, 12:56 AM   #105
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just me saying so tho, is it? A considerable amount of people view it as a hate symbol, including many who wear it. They wear it because it "triggers the libs" despite knowing that the MAGA-hat stands for racism, sexism and homophobia.

2) The exact same reasoning applies to religious clothing. The people who wear it don't think it is hateful. They wear it for a mix of reasons - some being threat of isolation (for not being a "good Muslim"), some being religious fervor and some just being straight-forward devotion to thinking it is the right thing to do. Yet, some people do perceive it as a "hate symbol".

You've made no actual distinction for why one is a "hate symbol" and the other is not.
A swastika is a hate symbol, a star of David is a religious symbol. Do I really need to explain what the difference between the two are?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 12:59 AM   #106
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Well gee that changes the story a little bit at least. They provoked this man and he followed them across the street where the incident later occurred. Is that how it went down? Flipping the bird to random angry looking strangers is pretty stupid.
No, it doesn't change the story at all, however much you want it to.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 01:48 AM   #107
dann
Philosopher

Yes, it does change the story. mgidm86's story is different.
It doesn't change reality, of course, but it's obvious what kind of spin mgidm86 wants to add to the story.
Do you remember Baylor's story about daft, naïve European girls?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 02:08 AM   #108
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Yes, it does change the story. mgidm86's story is different.
It doesn't change reality, of course, but it's obvious what kind of spin mgidm86 wants to add to the story.
Do you remember Baylor's story about daft, naïve European girls?
True.

Old 4th April 2019, 02:53 AM   #109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He may have been wearing a MAGA hat but this was done without permission homophobia is not part of the Trump supporting people.
Sure, hence why Pence is the VP and they refuse to say anything about the stone the gays policies of Burnei or the Chenchyan gay concentration camps. And of course trying to write gays out of all antidiscrimination laws and get gay marriage overturned.

Nothing homophobic about any of that clearly.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:01 AM   #110
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I doubt your opponents will agree with this assessment. I don't have issue calling white supremacists white supremacists, and I believe the charlottesville incident contains many of them. However, it's silly to keep insisting they represent a majority of a large group of people (trump supporters/republicans/etc. ie what, at least 25% of the USA?).
Let's not forget that there are single-issue voters, after all, as well as those who just vote along party lines (ie most people)
Yes we have the massive sudden emergencies of the darkies coming over the border(of course mostly at crossings and entering the country legally and overstaying) and this sudden massive problem is of course much lower than it was in the past.

Trump is clear about his being a white supremacist and like all those "good people" at charlottesville they they all feel fine rallying around a white supremacist. Why shouldn't their support of white supremacy be shown for what it is? Up next we will be talking about all the non anti semitic nazis, because surely not all members of the nazi party were anti semitic.

Quote:
Are their "trump scholars" ? The point is what the majority of people within a group believe and support. I don't know how much you looked at the pew page I posted but there is a whole lot of "50%+ Muslims believe X" (X being a pretty terrible thing)
And of course catholics know that it is better to let a woman die than give her an abortion for her ectopic pregnancy, and that is the policy of 30% of hospitals in the US. Better the slut die than to sully a doctors soul with an abortion.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:12 AM   #111
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The hijab is a religious symbol. The MAGA-hat is a symbol of hate. No equivalence.
Political persuasion is usually among the list of things protected by anti-discrimination laws.

And this ignores it is also simple assault.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 03:33 AM   #112
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Political persuasion is usually among the list of things protected by anti-discrimination laws.
Cite, please.

Because that's not the case where I live (Sweden), nor is it the case in the US.

Old 4th April 2019, 03:47 AM   #113
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
But.....but...….HAT!!!!!!!
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 03:52 AM   #114
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Hat means hate apparently

That is US POLITICS for you
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 04:36 AM   #115
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Yep it means you understand that tracking girls period is more important than bothering to keep records of which kids belong to which parents. That is the epitome of family values after all.
Old 4th April 2019, 06:04 AM   #116
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

What if the hat said "Hitler did nothing wrong" or was covered in swastikas? Would that make you feel the same way?

Old 4th April 2019, 06:14 AM   #117
The Big Dog

It's not just me saying so tho, is it? A considerable amount of people view it as a hate symbol, including many who wear it. They wear it because it "triggers the libs" despite knowing that the MAGA-hat stands for racism, sexism and homophobia.

A swastika is a hate symbol, a star of David is a religious symbol. Do I really need to explain what the difference between the two are?
That you think "libs" as you call them think that the Star of David is merely a religious symbol and does not "trigger the libs" is telling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40407057

This is just another example of "libs" trying to ban or limit political speech by declaring their opponents' beliefs various and sundry "isms"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 08:11 AM   #118
pharphis
Master Poster

It's not just me saying so tho, is it? A considerable amount of people view it as a hate symbol, including many who wear it. They wear it because it "triggers the libs" despite knowing that {some people believe} the MAGA-hat stands for racism, sexism and homophobia.

FTFY.

re: swastika, it is nearly universally associated with a genocide these days (at least in the western world, I don't know about elsewhere - its origin isn't simply with the nazis), and I do consider it almost always within that context.

@ponderturtle,
As usual, I don't feel like you are engaging with me honestly, inserting lots of unrelated things and inferences ("darkies" ??? abortion?) instead of addressing the facts of mainstream Islamic beliefs and how they might qualify as hateful, and therefore the religion as hateful, and therefore SYMBOLS of said religion as hateful.

I don't disagree that catholics (all religions) hold goofy and often harmful views, and that this impacts policy. That's partly why I am an anti-theist and that was precisely my point about Islam since the Hijab was of discussion (though I think stoning is a tad more serious than refusing to do certain surgeries or whatever the policy is you're referring to - I don't know the details of this and think it's a derail)
Old 4th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #119
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
In case it hasn't been said, the hat may not have anything to do with the story.

One version has the pirate shouting slurs and the victim flipping him off, hence the hand as a target. The hat and it's landing on the ground may be completely incidental and irrelevant to the events.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 08:39 AM   #120
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
In case it hasn't been said, the hat may not have anything to do with the story.

One version has the pirate shouting slurs and the victim flipping him off, hence the hand as a target.
No. A guy and his girlfriend saw the Sword Guy glaring at them while wearing a MAGA hat. They flipped off (middle finger) the Sword Guy. Then Sword Guy yelled homophobic slurs at the heterosexual couple. Then the couple went inside the rink to skate.

Quote:
The hat and it's landing on the ground may be completely incidental and irrelevant to the events.
Well, police are saying that a person knocked the hat off of Sword Guy and then Sword Guy drew his sword and slashed the person's hand or arm.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events