IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Reply
Old 9th August 2022, 10:11 AM   #2321
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,169
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Cracker Barrel added Vegan sausage to the menu and people are boycotting in protest.
Seems like a silly protest, but at least they ain't tryna get anyone sacked or shunned.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 10:39 AM   #2322
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,939
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Seems like a silly protest, but at least they ain't tryna get anyone sacked or shunned.
Ah, yes, the well known tactic of attempting to cause economic hardship to a business until they accede to demands, it clearly never results in sacking or shunning of workers.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 11:42 AM   #2323
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,169
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Ah, yes, the well known tactic of attempting to cause economic hardship to a business until they accede to demands, it clearly never results in sacking or shunning of workers.
It almost sounds like you're making an argument against boycotts generally, because sometimes they succeed in harming the targeted businesses. I can get behind this in most cases, but not all.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 12:12 PM   #2324
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,939
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
It almost sounds like you're making an argument against boycotts generally, because sometimes they succeed in harming the targeted businesses. I can get behind this in most cases, but not all.
Nope, I'm pointing out the flaw in your argument. That's why the rolleyes smiley was used.

I hope this basic explanation of human interactions helps you.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 02:15 PM   #2325
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,169
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Nope, I'm pointing out the flaw in your argument.
Not very well; there is still an obvious difference between targeting individuals and targeting corporations.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #2326
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,939
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Not very well; there is still an obvious difference between targeting individuals and targeting corporations.
There is an obvious disconnect in claiming that one can financially harm a corporation without the workers of that corporation being affected. When your argument that a tactic doesn't do "x" requires ignoring the predictable and proven results of that tactic always doing "x", you have a bad argument.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.