ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Reply
Old 17th June 2020, 11:39 PM   #2641
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sunny South Australia
Posts: 2,808
The Democrats had this nailed from day one.

You can join any branch you like but you don't get to vote for x years. (3 maybe?)

And you have to pay fees to be a member.

The branches of all political parties have to campaign to get their candidate elected. This includes door-knocking, leafleting, fund raisers, hanging electoral posters etc. etc. etc.

It is particularly galling to a branch when the party parachutes in some poisonous hack from the back rooms...
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 11:46 PM   #2642
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,282
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh wow. I didn’t know this. I take back my statement that the ALP made branch stacking an art form. This action of the Libs is far, far worse than ethnic branch stacking. Morrison has had blood on his hands for a long time.

Well Scomo would recognise it as Stigmata if he found blood on his hands and go all God struck about it.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:08 AM   #2643
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,103
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh wow. I didn’t know this. I take back my statement that the ALP made branch stacking an art form. This action of the Libs is far, far worse than ethnic branch stacking. Morrison has had blood on his hands for a long time.
That is the problem - most people don't know how Morrison got his preselection.

Somyurek was deservedly kicked out - but Morrison went from strength to strength.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:48 PM   #2644
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,876
Australia in the midst of a nationwide cyber attack, targetting government, education and essential services.

Morrison says it's state-sponsored, due to the scale of the attack.

Anyone know of any countries a little pissed off at Australia right now?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300...scott-morrison

(You knew they were going to slip China into that article somehow...)
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:58 AM   #2645
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 37,449
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Australia in the midst of a nationwide cyber attack, targetting government, education and essential services.

Morrison says it's state-sponsored, due to the scale of the attack.

Anyone know of any countries a little pissed off at Australia right now?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300...scott-morrison

(You knew they were going to slip China into that article somehow...)
"A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman says he believes the claims of hacking originate from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, which he says is funded by US arms companies and is making fictitious claims about China."

Sounds more likely.

Also likely to be just some IT guys downloading COVID-19 stats that some Australian guys didn't know was going to happen, and then you've got IT reporters playing spy-reporting games (it ***** me this pretence about "state actors").

The older people who remember the cold war or what their parents told them don't know much about current China/global travel, business, IT, development, and disclosure.
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 03:22 AM   #2646
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 23,502
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That is the problem - most people don't know how Morrison got his preselection.

Somyurek was deservedly kicked out - but Morrison went from strength to strength.
Live by the sword...

Scumo will get his when another power hungry ******** knifes him.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 11:01 PM   #2647
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Live by the sword...

Scumo will get his when another power hungry ******** knifes him.
Nah, he's been playing this game of thrones for so long that he'll knife them before they know he's even onto them.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 11:06 PM   #2648
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 23,502
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nah, he's been playing this game of thrones for so long that he'll knife them before they know he's even onto them.
Probably what they all thought.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 11:13 PM   #2649
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Probably what they all thought.
You really think Turnbull thought that?
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:07 AM   #2650
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Former high court justice Dyson Heydon sexually harassed staff, inquiry finds

Quote:
High court issues a statement saying it is ‘ashamed’ of the findings of harassment of six staff, which Heydon denies


The former high court justice Dyson Heydon sexually harassed six junior court staff, an independent investigation has found.

The high court issued a statement late on Monday afternoon saying it had become aware of allegations against Heydon last year and immediately begun an inquiry, led by the former inspector-general of intelligence and security Dr Vivienne Thom.

The investigation found that six former judges’ associates were harassed by Heydon.

Heydon has categorically denied the allegations.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:56 AM   #2651
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 16,393
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
His job is safe.

Unlike politicians, High Court judges are pretty much above the law. Under section 72(ii) of the constitution, High Court judges can only be removed after both houses of Parliament vote for it "on the ground of proved misbehaviour or incapacity".
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:45 AM   #2652
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,833
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
His job is safe.

Unlike politicians, High Court judges are pretty much above the law. Under section 72(ii) of the constitution, High Court judges can only be removed after both houses of Parliament vote for it "on the ground of proved misbehaviour or incapacity".
I think you missed the word "former" in the link. Just to make this clear I add this quote from the link

Quote:
He served on the high court for a decade, from 2003 to 2013, after being appointed by the Howard government.

He retired at the mandatory age of 70 and later headed the Abbott government’s royal commission into trade union governance and corruption.
Edit. But otherwise you are right. His job is safe. That is of retirement.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 04:01 AM   #2653
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 16,393
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think you missed the word "former" in the link.
My bad. I also missed that it was the High Court itself that did the inquiry.

That side steps the question of what would have happened if Heydon was tried, found guilty and appealed that verdict all the way to the High Court.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 05:57 PM   #2654
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Kezia Purick has resigned as the Speaker of the NT legislative assembly, after a finding of corrupt conduct was made against her.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 04:17 PM   #2655
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
The government's entire arts funding package is two thirds of the budget of the latest Christopher Nolan film.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 05:49 PM   #2656
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Meanwhile...

NSW MP's Sydney home raided as ASIO probes China links

Quote:
Counter-espionage agency ASIO is conducting a sweeping investigation into allegations Chinese government agents have infiltrated the office of a NSW Labor politician to influence Australian politics.

Multiple sources aware of the foreign interference investigation said it was scrutinising the office of NSW Labor MP Shaoquett Moselmane as part of one of the most significant inquiries in recent ASIO history.

As part of the inquiry, the federal police raided properties linked to Mr Moselmane on Friday morning, searching for evidence to support allegations of a Chinese government plot unfolding on Australian soil.

The sources said if sufficient evidence was found, the inquiry could ultimately result in an Australian and world first: a prosecution for foreign interference offences arising from an alleged covert Chinese Communist Party plot to influence a serving politician.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 04:29 AM   #2657
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,833
Due to the virus Victoria is in deep trouble. The number of cases there is doubling every week. Has been since about 24 May. There have been 308 cases in the last two weeks. It is also slowly increasing in New South Wales, though this may be due to returning travelers. The rest of Australia is OK. They already have imposed more restrictions in Victoria. I only hope this contains it there. Otherwise Australia is in deep trouble.

I suggest if you are going on holiday go now. Suggest stay out of Victoria and do not leave Melbourne. In August the lockdown may be reimposed in Australia.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:08 PM   #2658
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,876
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Due to the virus Victoria is in deep trouble. The number of cases there is doubling every week. Has been since about 24 May. There have been 308 cases in the last two weeks. It is also slowly increasing in New South Wales, though this may be due to returning travelers. The rest of Australia is OK. They already have imposed more restrictions in Victoria. I only hope this contains it there. Otherwise Australia is in deep trouble.

I suggest if you are going on holiday go now. Suggest stay out of Victoria and do not leave Melbourne. In August the lockdown may be reimposed in Australia.
All the state tourism boards might want to re-think their spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertising in NZ, too.

We're happy to take your money, but since it's all or nothing as far as Aussie goes, it's going to be a long while before we open the bridge.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 05:06 PM   #2659
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,760
Scott Morrison slags of Qld's Labor premier for keeping border closed to Victoria as a political stunt.

The only person politicising this is Scumo, as Anastassia points out that the Liberal premiers of SA and Tasmania have taken the same approach to Vicotoria's border - but Scumo has no criticism of them.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:04 PM   #2660
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Anyone care about this?

Australia to acquire long-range missiles as PM warns of dangerous post-Covid-19 world

Quote:
Scott Morrison will outline a more muscular defence posture in an increasingly contested Indo-Pacific region


Australia’s defence force is set to acquire long-range missiles and research hypersonic weapons systems, as Scott Morrison warns the country to prepare for a more dangerous post-Covid-19 world and an increasingly contested Indo-Pacific region.

The Australian prime minister will use a speech on Wednesday to outline a more muscular defence posture, arguing the ADF needs “stronger deterrence capabilities” as the Indo-Pacific becomes “the focus of the dominant global contest of our age” amid tensions between China and the United States.

Morrison will reveal a pledge to spend $270bn on new and upgraded defence capabilities over the next decade – a substantial increase from the $195bn committed in the 10 years from 2016 when the last defence white paper was released, although it covers a later time period.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:23 PM   #2661
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,319
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Who does he think they will be fired at? The Balinese? Timor L'este?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:51 PM   #2662
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,876
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Anyone care about this?
Let me think...

Australia embroiled in contretemps with China, at the behest of the gun-totin', missile-slinging, trespassing (in Chinese eyes), nuke-loaded, Trump-led Seppos, suddenly decides to buy American missiles that will never be used, but could threaten ships within several thousand km of Australia's costs.

I have a tiny suspicion China will have noticed and care, just a bit.

Next up: Australia gets ICBMs.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 07:33 PM   #2663
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Who does he think they will be fired at? The Balinese? Timor L'este?
As The Atheist suggests, clearly China.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:43 PM   #2664
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,103
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As The Atheist suggests, clearly China.
I like how Morrison says "We must face reality"

As far as I can see, the reality is that we would lose a shooting war with China in a little over 10 minutes.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:16 PM   #2665
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 45,714
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Due to the virus Victoria is in deep trouble. The number of cases there is doubling every week. Has been since about 24 May. There have been 308 cases in the last two weeks. It is also slowly increasing in New South Wales, though this may be due to returning travelers. The rest of Australia is OK. They already have imposed more restrictions in Victoria. I only hope this contains it there. Otherwise Australia is in deep trouble.

I suggest if you are going on holiday go now. Suggest stay out of Victoria and do not leave Melbourne. In August the lockdown may be reimposed in Australia.
I'm quite amused by the (early) crowing of other states that they have beaten the virus. New cases in WA and SA and 14 cases in NSW today. Yes, from people who arrived from overseas - just as with every other state when the virus first hit.

The Victorian government made a stupid mistake in allowing private security to manage hotel isolation (NSW used the army). It was easily foreseen that private security, on low wages and mainly from the sub-continent in general have neither the training, assertiveness nor even the physical capacity to control people intent on not following the rules. It is also clear that they are incapable of following simple hygiene rules and were major sources of infection.

As I have said countless times, the virus is no respecter of borders. Victorian new cases will reduce with these new lockdowns. My bet is that other states, particularly NSW, will see increases, and those smug premiers will announce more restrictions. After trying to blame Victoria for causing the increase, of course....

The fact remains that, compared to the vast majority of the world, where thousands of new cases are appearing daily, Australia has done an amazing job. Yes, there is a spike in Victoria, but how many end up in hospital? Almost none. How many in intensive care? Zero. How many dying? Again, almost none.

It won't stop the crowing of course, but I'll be reminding people of it as time passes.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:08 AM   #2666
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,833
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As The Atheist suggests, clearly China.
China is one of our major trading partners. The only reason Australia will go to war with them is to keep USA on side. Are we an independent country or a state within the USA? Looks like the latter.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 04:40 PM   #2667
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
China is one of our major trading partners. The only reason Australia will go to war with them is to keep USA on side. Are we an independent country or a state within the USA? Looks like the latter.
Where have you been since the Howard government? Of course we're a vassal state of the USA. America says jump, we don't stop to ask how high.

In other news, the Telegraph has just lost its appeal against the Geoffrey Rush defamation verdict.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 04:57 PM   #2668
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Credit where it's due:

FACT CHECK:
Scott Morrison says the colony of New South Wales was founded on the basis there would be no slavery. Is he correct?

tl;dr:

Quote:
Mr Morrison's claim checks out.

His claim goes to the question of whether there was slavery when NSW was founded as a colony.

As harsh as the new settlement undoubtedly was, the preconditions for slavery — including the treatment of individuals as property — were not met, at least not in the early years of NSW.
Worth reading the whole thing.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:02 PM   #2669
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,340
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Where have you been since the Howard government? Of course we're a vassal state of the USA. America says jump, we don't stop to ask how high.
Further to this, the defence strategy spells it out explicitly:

Quote:
It's not just the threat of a miscalculation which is keeping military planners and top bureaucrats in Canberra awake at night.

China's extraordinary rise has disrupted the status quo in Asia and fuels much of the anxiety which seeps into almost every word in this document.

The new strategy is coy about this uncomfortable fact. China is mentioned only nine times, and mostly in combination with the resident great power, the United States.

There are two mentions of Beijing's "more active pursuit of greater influence in the Indo-Pacific" but no detailed discussion of why Australia is so worried about its astonishingly rapid military build-up.

But when the strategy warns that "coercion, competition and grey-zone activities directly or indirectly targeting Australian interests are occurring now", there are no prizes for guessing which country is front of mind.
And...

Quote:
The defence strategy puts it baldly: "Only the nuclear and conventional capabilities of the United States can offer effective deterrence against the possibility of nuclear threats against Australia."

But the shifts in power and unpredictability of the Trump administration have convinced the Federal Government that Australia must be able to do more by itself.

"It is the Government's intent that Australia take greater responsibility for our own security," is how the strategy puts it.

"It is therefore essential that the ADF grow its self-reliant ability to deliver deterrent effects."
Source. This is also worth reading in full.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:12 PM   #2670
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm quite amused by the (early) crowing of other states that they have beaten the virus. New cases in WA and SA and 14 cases in NSW today. Yes, from people who arrived from overseas - just as with every other state when the virus first hit.

The Victorian government made a stupid mistake in allowing private security to manage hotel isolation (NSW used the army). It was easily foreseen that private security, on low wages and mainly from the sub-continent in general have neither the training, assertiveness nor even the physical capacity to control people intent on not following the rules. It is also clear that they are incapable of following simple hygiene rules and were major sources of infection.
Wow. . . . bloody dumb, timid Asians, coming over here and not being capable to do the jobs they've stolen from us.
Really? Why was it necessary to bring in ethnicity to the topic.
Quote:
As I have said countless times, the virus is no respecter of borders. Victorian new cases will reduce with these new lockdowns. My bet is that other states, particularly NSW, will see increases, and those smug premiers will announce more restrictions. After trying to blame Victoria for causing the increase, of course....

The fact remains that, compared to the vast majority of the world, where thousands of new cases are appearing daily, Australia has done an amazing job. Yes, there is a spike in Victoria, but how many end up in hospital? Almost none. How many in intensive care? Zero. How many dying? Again, almost none.

It won't stop the crowing of course, but I'll be reminding people of it as time passes.
Yes, the residents of Melbourne have certainly advertised their true colours and community spirit in adversary.
Hotspot residents caught out trying to change addresses.
"Residents from Melbourne's 10 coronavirus hotspots have attempted to change the address on their driver’s licence to get around restrictions as they enter strict lockdown conditions for a second time.

VicRoads has moved to stop a significant surge in licence amendments as people rushed to change their addresses in the hopes of getting through police checkpoints."
Disgusting.
(please feel free to point out how many of these residents are non-white, just for a proper perspective)
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 1st July 2020 at 07:16 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:20 PM   #2671
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 45,714
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Wow. . . . bloody dumb, timid Asians, coming over here and not being capable to do the jobs they've stolen from us.
Really? Why was it necessary to bring in ethnicity to the topic.
Yes, the residents of Melbourne have certainly advertised their true colours and community spirit in adversary.
Hotspot residents caught out trying to change addresses.
"Residents from Melbourne's 10 coronavirus hotspots have attempted to change the address on their driver’s licence to get around restrictions as they enter strict lockdown conditions for a second time.

VicRoads has moved to stop a significant surge in licence amendments as people rushed to change their addresses in the hopes of getting through police checkpoints."
Disgusting.
(please feel free to point out how many of these residents are non-white, just for a proper perspective)
Do you expect me to defend idiots who try to change addresses? I won't. Just as I don't defend idiot security guards who can't do their jobs.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 07:28 PM   #2672
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Do you expect me to defend idiots who try to change addresses? I won't. Just as I don't defend idiot security guards who can't do their jobs.
I was wondering what your defence for why you felt the need to point out their ethnicity.
Your post certainly read as though that was the root cause of your bile towards the security team.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:37 PM   #2673
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,319
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Originally Posted by Me
Who does he think they will be fired at? The Balinese? Timor L'este?
As The Atheist suggests, clearly China.
What, both of our brand new missiles?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:11 PM   #2674
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 45,714
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I was wondering what your defence for why you felt the need to point out their ethnicity.
Your post certainly read as though that was the root cause of your bile towards the security team.
Firstly, "bile". Let's look at what I'm talking about. Sydney and Melbourne have almost identical population, population density, demographics, climate, government and health systems. They were both hit by covid at the same time, peaked at the same time (Sydney at a higher rate mainly due to the Ruby Princess), implemented similar restrictions and reduced infections at roughly the same rate until both hit single figure daily infections.

The only significant difference was how hotel quarantine was managed. This without doubt was a key component of the whole covid control process.

Sydney used the military. Well trained, disciplined, determined to do a good job, very conscious of hygiene requirements and no tolerance of bad behaviour. Melbourne used private security guards. Poorly paid, poorly trained (20 hours is all that's required) and poorly motivated (a direct consequence of poor pay and training). One group did the job. With the other, not only did they let people in isolation get away with murder (there are reports of people being allowed to go from room to room for sex), but they took the virus back to their families and communities to create our hot spots and put the whole control effort back by months.

So, yes bile is a good summary of my reaction. Probably understated even.

Now you take me to task for mentioning ethnicity of guards. What if we were talking about Australian High School results and I pointed out that students of Asian descent dominated high marks? Would you say "what does ethnicity have do with it"? I hope not, because ethnicity has everything to do with it. Or can one only raise ethnicity when it leads to positive outcomes?

I raised ethnicity of guards because I think it relevant. Indian culture, unlike most around the world, has politeness, reluctance to say no and aversion to physical contact front and centre. Hey, this is not just my view, but that of the SBS as well:

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/ind...-communication

I am not saying that these are negative traits. In fact they are admirable. What I am saying is that they tend not to be good traits for security guards trying to control angry, aggressive and possibly drunk Australians anywhere, let alone in isolation against their will.

My comments were rooted in the reality of the situation. I'm sorry you don't approve of them (really) but I stand by them. My observation that people from the subcontinent do not usually make good security guards is reasonable.

My bile, however, is not directed at the guards, but at the people who decided to use them.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 1st July 2020 at 10:20 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:01 PM   #2675
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Firstly, "bile". Let's look at what I'm talking about. Sydney and Melbourne have almost identical population, population density, demographics, climate, government and health systems. They were both hit by covid at the same time, peaked at the same time (Sydney at a higher rate mainly due to the Ruby Princess), implemented similar restrictions and reduced infections at roughly the same rate until both hit single figure daily infections.

The only significant difference was how hotel quarantine was managed. This without doubt was a key component of the whole covid control process.

Sydney used the military. Well trained, disciplined, determined to do a good job, very conscious of hygiene requirements and no tolerance of bad behaviour. Melbourne used private security guards. Poorly paid, poorly trained (20 hours is all that's required) and poorly motivated (a direct consequence of poor pay and training). One group did the job. With the other, not only did they let people in isolation get away with murder (there are reports of people being allowed to go from room to room for sex), but they took the virus back to their families and communities to create our hot spots and put the whole control effort back by months.

So, yes bile is a good summary of my reaction. Probably understated even.

Now you take me to task for mentioning ethnicity of guards. What if we were talking about Australian High School results and I pointed out that students of Asian descent dominated high marks? Would you say "what does ethnicity have do with it"? I hope not, because ethnicity has everything to do with it. Or can one only raise ethnicity when it leads to positive outcomes?

I raised ethnicity of guards because I think it relevant. Indian culture, unlike most around the world, has politeness, reluctance to say no and aversion to physical contact front and centre. Hey, this is not just my view, but that of the SBS as well:

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/ind...-communication
This appeal to authority to justify you bigotry towards Asian people is depressing.
Quote:
I am not saying that these are negative traits. In fact they are admirable. What I am saying is that they tend not to be good traits for security guards trying to control angry, aggressive and possibly drunk Australians anywhere, let alone in isolation against their will.

My comments were rooted in the reality of the situation. I'm sorry you don't approve of them (really) but I stand by them. My observation that people from the subcontinent do not usually make good security guards is reasonable.
Yeah, it is not as though Pakistan, Inda and Bangladesh have police or military forces at all. Way too timid.
Quote:
My bile, however, is not directed at the guards, but at the people who decided to use them.
Riiiiiiiggghhhhhtttttt. That is why you made a point of underlining the ethnicity of the staff they hired . . .
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:17 PM   #2676
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 45,714
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
This appeal to authority to justify you bigotry towards Asian people is depressing.Yeah, it is not as though Pakistan, Inda and Bangladesh have police or military forces at all. Way too timid.
Riiiiiiiggghhhhhtttttt. That is why you made a point of underlining the ethnicity of the staff they hired . . .
As expected, you ignored most of what I posted.

Is it okay to say that Asian students are in general better than Caucasian students in Australia? Is this not playing the ethnic card, despite the fact it is objectively true?

And you do realise that comments about cultures are always generalisations?

By the way for those not aware SBS is not Australia’s Stormfront, but an exceedingly ethnic-friendly broadcasting service. A pretty decent authority I would think.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:31 PM   #2677
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,833
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Further to this, the defence strategy spells it out explicitly:

And...



Source. This is also worth reading in full.
Australia will be hit hard if China stops trading with Australia for any reason. Yet we are spending $big to fight China? What a waste.

Quote:
Today, China is Australia's largest trading partner in terms of both imports and exports. Australia is China's sixth largest trading partner; it is China's fifth biggest supplier of imports and its tenth biggest customer for exports. Twenty-five per cent of Australia's manufactured imports come from China; 13% of its exports are thermal coal to China.
https://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliam...gbook44p/china
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 11:43 PM   #2678
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As expected, you ignored most of what I posted.

Is it okay to say that Asian students are in general better than Caucasian students in Australia? Is this not playing the ethnic card, despite the fact it is objectively true?

And you do realise that comments about cultures are always generalisations?
You were pretty specific about the shortcomings of the security guards based solely on your opinion of Asian men.
By the way, when I use the term Asian, I am referring to South Asia. Having lived and worked in Britain and Pakistan I’m actually aware the the term “subcontinent” to describe South Asians is offensive to them.
Shades of British imperialism. Your stereotyping of them as studious and deferential is another giveaway.

Quote:
By the way for those not aware SBS is not Australia’s Stormfront, but an exceedingly ethnic-friendly broadcasting service. A pretty decent authority I would think.
You’re doing a fair job at obfuscation here, I’ll grant you that.

But none of it detracts (or distracts) from you unnecessarily raising the ethnicity of the security guards as a contributing factor to them not being able to perform their job.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 1st July 2020 at 11:52 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:50 AM   #2679
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,319
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
You were pretty specific about the shortcomings of the security guards based solely on your opinion of Asian men.
By the way, when I use the term Asian, I am referring to South Asia. Having lived and worked in Britain and Pakistan I’m actually aware the the term “subcontinent” to describe South Asians is offensive to them.
Shades of British imperialism. Your stereotyping of them as studious and deferential is another giveaway.

You’re doing a fair job at obfuscation here, I’ll grant you that.

But none of it detracts (or distracts) from you unnecessarily raising the ethnicity of the security guards as a contributing factor to them not being able to perform their job.
Without arguing for or against Lionking, I think what he meant rather than "ethnicity" would be "culture". He was actually describing some cultural issues related to the situation. And indeed there are some cultures where there is clear stratification of authority versus those being subject to that authority. Unlike Australian culture generally, resisting authority does not come "naturally" nor is it accepted with equanimity. Nor does imposing authority when one is not used to doing so. So expecting someone from a usually subjugated strata to effectively impose authority might be a mistake.

Perhaps the outcome would have been different if the jobs had been given to ex-policemen or even ex-school-teachers.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:38 AM   #2680
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,876
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Australia will be hit hard if China stops trading with Australia for any reason. Yet we are spending $big to fight China? What a waste.
I made that same comment yesterday - biting the hand that feeds you at a time of deep recession doesn't look that smart.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.