ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Hellstorm" , war crimes , World War II history

Old 11th May 2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Mondial
Critical Thinker

Hellstorm - WW2 Crimes of the "Good Guys"

During World War 2 both sides committed war crimes and atrocities. The propaganda that the Allies were the "good guys" and the Axis were the "bad guys" belongs in a comic book. Everything is not so black and white. The new documentary Hellstorm shows the crimes of the victors - saturation bombing designed to level German cities and kill the maximum number of civilians, mass rape, the largest ethnic cleansing in European history when over 10 million Germans were forcibly expelled from eastern Europe, looting of artwork and monuments etc - www.hellstormdocumentary.com
Mondial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Mondial View Post
During World War 2 both sides committed war crimes and atrocities. The propaganda that the Allies were the "good guys" and the Axis were the "bad guys" belongs in a comic book. Everything is not so black and white. The new documentary Hellstorm shows the crimes of the victors - saturation bombing designed to level German cities and kill the maximum number of civilians, mass rape, the largest ethnic cleansing in European history when over 10 million Germans were forcibly expelled from eastern Europe, looting of artwork and monuments etc - www.hellstormdocumentary.com
Ummmm, ...

Have you just found out that war is not moral?

Maybe that is news to you, but I can assure you that I (and many, many, many other people) have known for quite some time that war is not moral.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 12:36 PM   #3
NoahFence
Banned

Hitler was Axis, right?

So yea, they were the bad guys.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 12:42 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's a reasonable debate to be had about the legitimacy of the Allied bombing campaign(s), but it won't be had in this thread.

Much of the rest can be laid pretty squarely at the feet of Stalin's Soviet Union. Who were never really "the good guys", even if they got lumped in with the rest of the Allies due to the vicissitudes of historical necessity.

The looting of art and monuments I don't really care much about.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. This is from your link.
I’m going to assume that most, if not all, the people reading this know that the Holocaust is a made up Jewish lie, but let’s suspend reality for a moment and say that it actually did happen as they claim. Although that would have been horrific, it would still be nothing compared to what the Germans suffered after the war.

Last edited by Craig B; 11th May 2016 at 12:56 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

saturation bombing designed to level German cities

Saturation bombing was sort of a necessity of the technology. Bombs just couldn't be aimed well enough to just drop a couple. Nations had to blanket the area and hope something hit the military target.

As to whether our choice of targets was completely aimed at the military, it was not. Civilian factories believed to be aiding the war effort were considered valid targets. I'm sure some lines were crossed. Dresden was definitely oversaturated. And I think we nuked a hundred thousand Japanese civilians.

Wholesale revisionism, however, doesn't seem to be called for.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, Crossbow, Prestige, Loss Leader! First take a look at what is in the posts you are disagreeing with. No need to attempt to justify carpet boming in the face of anyone who states that the Holocaust is a fraud, but even if true, the Germans suffered worse at Allied hands. Do you even want to argue this point?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 01:43 PM   #8
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Hey, Crossbow, Prestige, Loss Leader! First take a look at what is in the posts you are disagreeing with. No need to attempt to justify carpet boming in the face of anyone who states that the Holocaust is a fraud, but even if true, the Germans suffered worse at Allied hands. Do you even want to argue this point?
Look at this selection of threads started by the OP.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...archid=3481735

The nine most recent ones in in descending order are:
  1. Hellstorm - WW2 Crimes of the "Good Guys"
  2. Denying History By Michael Shermer and Alex Grobman - A Critique
  3. Michael Shermer Tries To Ban Book
  4. Britain's Use Of Starvation As A Weapon
  5. Jewish Holocaust Skeptic Resurfaces After 15 Years
  6. Roosevelt's Rotten Record:Communism, Treachery, Betrayal
  7. Operation Barbarossa Was A Preventive Attack
  8. Mass Rape of German Women By Soviet Red Army
  9. When the US Government Worked With the Mafia

Hmm...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The title of the above youtube should be "are we the baddies?"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 11th May 2016 at 01:44 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

... saturation bombing designed to level German cities and kill the maximum number of civilians ...

You asserting the above does not make it fact. Rather, it just makes readily apparent your lack of knowledge on the subject.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Loss Leader

My favorite WWII crime is when the retreating Germans on the eastern front left all the alcohol untouched in the hope that Russian soldiers would drink it and get too drunk to continue pressing the advance. This misfired badly as the Russians drank and still kept coming, so uninhibited that they stopped caring whether the killed military or civilians, and leading to so many rapes that the numbers defy logic.

Anyway, what was being said about the Americans?

ETA: Yes! My memory is correct.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 04:44 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Mondial is known to me.

I do kinda want to argue the point that the horrors visited upon the Germans by the Russians should be collectively attributed to all the Allies. In his effort to rehabilitate the Nazis, Mondial take the position that the Allies behaved no better. But when you look at the record, in fact it was mainly Russia that behaved no better. What happened in Eastern Europe was not the fault of the US or the UK. There's reason that Germans kept trying to escape to West Germany, not from West Germany.

If Mondial's argument were that the Soviets were no better than the Nazis, and that it's a shame they didn't get the same treatment, I would agree. I just don't agree with the argument that therefore the British and the Americans were no better than the Nazis.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But when you look at the record, in fact it was mainly Russia that behaved no better. What happened in Eastern Europe was not the fault of the US or the UK. There's reason that Germans kept trying to escape to West Germany, not from West Germany.

I think perhaps some of that can be attributed to 'you reap what you sow'. That is, if your enemy fights in a merciless way, you'll tend to fight that way in response. The Germans were certainly willing to fight the Russians with little quarter given, so it ought not to be too surprising if the Russians responded by fighting back and giving little quarter in reply.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 06:15 PM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Couple of holocaust deniers made a whiny movie about how their Nazi heroes got curb stomped? Yeah, there is a line from Archer that I should share here.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:30 PM   #14
gypsyjackson
Critical Thinker

Mitchell and Webb for those who haven't seen their take on the ethics of WW2:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 11th May 2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Sorting link.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Loss Leader

If Mondial's argument were that the Soviets were no better than the Nazis, and that it's a shame they didn't get the same treatment, I would agree. I just don't agree with the argument that therefore the British and the Americans were no better than the Nazis.

I'm not sure that the best case against America even lies in the European theater. It was in the pacific where we did our morally worst. Of course, Japan wasn't slouching when it came to war crimes, either.

L. Leader
Old 11th May 2016, 09:26 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I'm not sure that the best case against America even lies in the European theater. It was in the pacific where we did our morally worst. Of course, Japan wasn't slouching when it came to war crimes, either.
Good point. The Bataan Death March will forever stain American honor.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:12 PM   #17
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I tried watching this documentary. I even started a thread on it. It is pretty laughable seeing as how its premise is that Germany was just standing around whistling when all the thugs teamed up on it.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:10 AM   #18
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't watched the documentary, but, did you have a point?

Sometimes these things get into a bunch of "who was worse" debates, but can you even compare that sort of thing? I mean, who was worse? Adolf Hitler, Winston Churchill, Jodi Arias? All were responsible for killing of innocent people, so how exactly do we figure out who was worse?

I think motive plays a role in a lot of people's assessment of guilt in such situations. Adolf Hitler was trying to conquer territory and enslave or kill the current inhabitants, eventually freeing that land to become German Lebensraum. It doesn't seem too noble. Churchill was trying to overthrow the guy who was trying to enslave the Poles and exterminate the Jews, and to do so with the smallest possible number of deaths of his own people, even if that meant killing people whose only crime was supporting the German military, or living next to a lot of people who did. It doesn't make Dresden into a humanitarian act, but somehow it seems less despicable than building an extermination camp.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 01:04 AM   #19
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I haven't watched the documentary, but, did you have a point?
The point appears to be holocaust denial and pro Nazi publicity. A sympathetic viewer of the film writes
... As well done as the film is, it is certainly not for the faint-hearted, but nonetheless it is still imperative for every person of European descent to see this for it gives us a glimpse of what could happen if the Jews have their way and do successfully implement their New World Order.
The "point" is Hitler's point. This is antisemitic Nazi propaganda. It has nothing to do with the iniquities of Allied area bombing or Soviet misdeeds on German soil. It is about "persons of European descent" averting the supposed "Jewish" New World Order.
Old 12th May 2016, 04:01 AM   #20
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
I think perhaps some of that can be attributed to 'you reap what you sow'. That is, if your enemy fights in a merciless way, you'll tend to fight that way in response. The Germans were certainly willing to fight the Russians with little quarter given, so it ought not to be too surprising if the Russians responded by fighting back and giving little quarter in reply.
Most defintitely. There is nothing comparable to the "Commissar Order" for the forces fighting the Western powers, and the deliberate mistreatment of Soviet PWs from Barbarossa on did nothing but create hatred for the Germans by the Soviets. Combine this with the "tit for tat" way the Soviets then waged war against the Germans and their Allies, its hard to see how the behaviour of all the armies in the East could have been anything but bad.
Old 12th May 2016, 04:13 AM   #21
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

If Holocaust denial appears, how far behind are the claims such as Himmler was a harmless librarian and Hitler was a vegetarian dog-fancier, and the Wermacht was really on a humanitarian mission to liberate Europe and Russia from great fleets of rogue killer rabbis.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 04:13 AM   #22
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The point appears to be holocaust denial and pro Nazi publicity.
I was just wondering if Mondial would weigh in, or is he a "post and run" sort?

I mean, the OP says that bad things were done by both sides in the war. Of course that's true. When the entire force of the industrial world is applied to killing each other, some pretty awful stuff is going to happen.

And.....?

Perhaps he can explain.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 08:06 AM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If Holocaust denial appears, how far behind are the claims such as Himmler was a harmless librarian and Hitler was a vegetarian dog-fancier, and the Wermacht was really on a humanitarian mission to liberate Europe and Russia from great fleets of rogue killer rabbis.
No. No. No. You are so wrong -- Hitler was a cat-fancier!
Old 12th May 2016, 10:39 AM   #24
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

As a non-history guy, I will say that my impressions of why WW2 Germany is evil is not because of their war tactics or actions, but because of the Holocaust. Notice that Japan doesn't get the same stigma as Germany from WW2, despite the fact that they were ruthless warriors as well.

I can understand and even overlook a lot of what happens in war, and will judge it through those eyes. But the Holocaust is a wholenother level of evil.

Of course, if the goal is Holocaust denial, then you try to create a false equivalency.
Old 12th May 2016, 10:52 AM   #25
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

To the OP, I'm reminded of Asimov's classic quote:
Quote:
When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 10:55 AM   #26
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I was just wondering if Mondial would weigh in, or is he a "post and run" sort?

I mean, the OP says that bad things were done by both sides in the war. Of course that's true. When the entire force of the industrial world is applied to killing each other, some pretty awful stuff is going to happen.

And.....?

Perhaps he can explain.
I think the following might give an idea of that...

Mondail just wants their threads to have Lebensraum

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Look at this selection of threads started by the OP.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...archid=3481735

The nine most recent ones in in descending order are:
  1. Hellstorm - WW2 Crimes of the "Good Guys"
  2. Denying History By Michael Shermer and Alex Grobman - A Critique
  3. Michael Shermer Tries To Ban Book
  4. Britain's Use Of Starvation As A Weapon
  5. Jewish Holocaust Skeptic Resurfaces After 15 Years
  6. Roosevelt's Rotten Record:Communism, Treachery, Betrayal
  7. Operation Barbarossa Was A Preventive Attack
  8. Mass Rape of German Women By Soviet Red Army
  9. When the US Government Worked With the Mafia

Hmm...

I AGREE

The title of the above youtube should be "are we the baddies?"
Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Mitchell and Webb for those who haven't seen their take on the ethics of WW2:

I AGREE
Great minds think alike, gypsyjackson...

BTW your link should be:

{yt}ToKcmnrE5oY{/yt} but with square brackets i.e. just the bit after the youtube domain address...

I AGREE
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 12th May 2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: fixing code section
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 11:09 AM   #27
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
As a non-history guy, I will say that my impressions of why WW2 Germany is evil is not because of their war tactics or actions, but because of the Holocaust. Notice that Japan doesn't get the same stigma as Germany from WW2, despite the fact that they were ruthless warriors as well.

I can understand and even overlook a lot of what happens in war, and will judge it through those eyes. But the Holocaust is a wholenother level of evil.

Of course, if the goal is Holocaust denial, then you try to create a false equivalency.
I would say that Imperial Japan was pretty much as bad as NAZI Germany,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731 (Harrowing reading even in wikipedia)

At the time of the dropping of the Atom Bombs, the Japanese Empire was killing about 200,000 civilians a month (mostly in China).

I also wonder what the two regimes thought would happen if they had won. You can't have both Germans and Japanese being racially superior to each other. They both had a racist philosophy.
Old 12th May 2016, 11:14 AM   #28
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Eh, Hitler and his cronies single-handedly started an infinitely destructive war that killed over fifty million people. Awareness of the Holocaust grew gradually during and after the war, and of coursed moved the Nazis into another dimension of evil. But even without it Hitler would still have been a Timur Lang or Dschingis Khan - a ruthless warmongering monster.
Old 12th May 2016, 11:26 AM   #29
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The democratic Allies were the good guys. They ended up on the same team as one of the bad guys when the alliance between the two main bad guys broke down and they went to war.

During the war all sides behaved despicably at times, some more than others.
I have no problem when a good guy fights dirty against a dirty opposition. As has been said, you reap what you sow.
Old 12th May 2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Hitler was Axis, right?

So yea, they were the bad guys.
Lets not forget Mussolini who was a REAL nice guy and that Tojo fellow was a real crowd pleaser in China. ...I won't even mention the lesser ones

Last edited by Hans; 12th May 2016 at 02:53 PM.
Hans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 04:53 PM   #31
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not entirely sure that that can be used to excuse the USSR. The fact is, the Red Army behaved quite badly long before the German invasion. The Baltic countries, Bessarabia, Poland, etc, happend long before Barbarossa. The Katyn massacre for example happened in March 1940, while the USSR was ALLIED with Germany, so it wasn't in response to anyone fighting mercilessly against the USSR.

They had also used mustard gas in their 1934 invasion of Xinjang, some 9 years after they were banned at the Geneva Protocol in 1925. (Although technically it only entered into force in 1928, so, eh, only 6 years after that.)

And even after 1941, a lot of the repression was directed at people in Soviet-controlled territory, who weren't fighting against the USSR at all. E.g., Estonia was more depopulated than the Nazis managed to do in Poland, just because it became apparent that the USSR can't hold it after Barbarossa. So, you know, let's kill and deport as many as possible before the Germans take over.

But it wasn't just Estonia. A big problem were the "destruction battallions" which implemented a rather... unique version of scorched earth policy, by also murdering civilians who resisted relocation.

Brutal repression also was quite routinely singling out ethnic groups like Tartars, Chechens, etc, just because Stalin thought they might end up cooperating with the Germans. Mind you, not because they actually did any fighting against the USSR, much less merciless fighting, but just because they MIGHT.

Etc.

So, yeah, the USSR was bad. Mind you, I'm not saying that the USA or UK necessarily share the blame. Just that what the USSR did can't be justified by just having an enemy that fights mercilessly. They were quite merciless before having any such enemy. Is all I'm saying.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 12th May 2016 at 04:54 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 06:23 PM   #32
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
I'm not entirely sure that that can be used to excuse the USSR. The fact is, the Red Army behaved quite badly long before the German invasion. The Baltic countries, Bessarabia, Poland, etc, happend long before Barbarossa. The Katyn massacre for example happened in March 1940, while the USSR was ALLIED with Germany, so it wasn't in response to anyone fighting mercilessly against the USSR.

They had also used mustard gas in their 1934 invasion of Xinjang, some 9 years after they were banned at the Geneva Protocol in 1925. (Although technically it only entered into force in 1928, so, eh, only 6 years after that.)

And even after 1941, a lot of the repression was directed at people in Soviet-controlled territory, who weren't fighting against the USSR at all. E.g., Estonia was more depopulated than the Nazis managed to do in Poland, just because it became apparent that the USSR can't hold it after Barbarossa. So, you know, let's kill and deport as many as possible before the Germans take over.

But it wasn't just Estonia. A big problem were the "destruction battallions" which implemented a rather... unique version of scorched earth policy, by also murdering civilians who resisted relocation.

Brutal repression also was quite routinely singling out ethnic groups like Tartars, Chechens, etc, just because Stalin thought they might end up cooperating with the Germans. Mind you, not because they actually did any fighting against the USSR, much less merciless fighting, but just because they MIGHT.

Etc.

So, yeah, the USSR was bad. Mind you, I'm not saying that the USA or UK necessarily share the blame. Just that what the USSR did can't be justified by just having an enemy that fights mercilessly. They were quite merciless before having any such enemy. Is all I'm saying.
I've never heard of this. Do you have a source for further reading? I believe you, but I take a particular interest in bio-chem warfare and when a case I'm unaware of comes up, I want to know more.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 07:52 PM   #33
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's in several books, including Russia At War edited by Timothy C. Dowling. See the Battle Of Dawan Cheng. But probably the easiest to check online is good ol' Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...on_of_Xinjiang

And again, in the revolt of 1937: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islami...ang_%281937%29

Them Soviets sure loved the mustard

Also note that although the mustard gas attacks were targeted at combatants (mind you, still illegal under the Geneva Protocol of 1925), in both cases they caused quite a few civilian casualties too with it.
Old 12th May 2016, 08:40 PM   #34
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Most defintitely. There is nothing comparable to the "Commissar Order" for the forces fighting the Western powers, and the deliberate mistreatment of Soviet PWs from Barbarossa on did nothing but create hatred for the Germans by the Soviets. Combine this with the "tit for tat" way the Soviets then waged war against the Germans and their Allies, its hard to see how the behaviour of all the armies in the East could have been anything but bad.

One can find similar things happening on a smaller scale on other fronts.

For example, there's a story from the battle for Ortona in 1943. The Germans lured a group of Canadian soldiers into a building, which the Germans then blew up. The Canadians regarded that as something of a dirty trick, so a few days later Canadian troops did the same thing to some Germans.

Then there's the Pacific, with U.S. troops versus the Japanese. The latter would sometimes feign surrender, only to drop concealed grenades as American soldiers got close. After a few such events, it should not be surprising that U.S. troops became decidedly less interested in accepting the apparent surrender of Japanese soldiers.

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
I'm not entirely sure that that can be used to excuse the USSR.

I don't offer it as excuse but rather as partial explanation. See the tit-for-tat examples given in the reply above.
Old 12th May 2016, 08:52 PM   #35
dropzone
Master Poster

"War is Hell," William Tecumseh Sherman.

"There ain't two ways around it," dropzone.

dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2016, 08:56 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

For example, there's a story from the battle for Ortona in 1943. The Germans lured a group of Canadian soldiers into a building, which the Germans then blew up. The Canadians regarded that as something of a dirty trick, so a few days later Canadian troops did the same thing to some Germans.
I'm having a hard time understanding how a well-conceived and well-implemented ambush could be seen as a "dirty trick" in warfare. Falling back to draw an over-eager enemy into a position of weakness is a time-honored strategem, not a war crime. Do you have a cite for the Canadian's butt-hurtedness?

Quote:
Then there's the Pacific, with U.S. troops versus the Japanese. The latter would sometimes feign surrender, only to drop concealed grenades as American soldiers got close. After a few such events, it should not be surprising that U.S. troops became decidedly less interested in accepting the apparent surrender of Japanese soldiers.
I don't see the problem here, either. Abusing the conventions of warfare earns the reprisals it receives. Belligerents who use surrender as a ploy lose the privilege of surrender. Just as belligerents who use ambulances as troop carriers lose the privilege of protected medical transport.

Quote:
I don't offer it as excuse but rather as partial explanation. See the tit-for-tat examples given in the reply above.
There's a difference between raping because the other side rapes, and fighting the enemy on the terms they have set. If the enemy sets terms that include make the process of surrender a battlefield, then their opponent must necessarily fight them on that battlefield. There's no sin in deciding to do so. The enemy bears all the blame for making it have to be that way.
Old 12th May 2016, 09:05 PM   #37
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

I'm having a hard time understanding how a well-conceived and well-implemented ambush could be seen as a "dirty trick" in warfare. Falling back to draw an over-eager enemy into a position of weakness is a time-honored strategem, not a war crime.

Ortona was a house-to-house battle. So blowing up a building just to kill a few soldiers, it seems, wasn't viewed as a 'fair' fight. 'Fair' was to fight to clear each building (which the Germans were quite prepared to defend).

I don't see the problem here, either. Abusing the conventions of warfare earns the reprisals it receives. Belligerents who use surrender as a ploy lose the privilege of surrender. Just as belligerents who use ambulances as troop carriers lose the privilege of protected medical transport.

Didn't say it was a 'problem'. It's merely an example of one side tending to fight like the other side does. If one side gives no quarter, the other side soon won't give much quarter either.
Old 13th May 2016, 01:35 AM   #38
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, maybe "excuse" was a bit of a wrong choice of wording. I'm just saying it's not a very convincing explanation, if they were doing the same crap before the explaining factor even existed.
Old 13th May 2016, 03:53 AM   #39
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Also, just to make one thing clear about the 'explanation' of Soviet behaviour.

The Soviets raped their way through Poland, and freely looted and destroyed civilian property, when they were supposedly liberating it from Germans. The Poles hadn't fought against the USSR, so it's hard to see any rational explanation for how that campaign of terror would count as retaliation or tit for tat.

But there's something even more horrifying and telling. Out of all belligerent nations, the USSR used by far the most female soldiers in WW2. And some were captured by the Germans. A lot were executed or horribly mistreated by the Germans, but those liberated from prisoner camps by the advancing Soviet troops... were gang raped first by their Soviet male comrades.

I mean, it boggles the mind. It wasn't punishing a brutal enemy, but raping Soviet volunteers who had fought quite valliantly on the Soviet side. So, you know, WTH?

Last edited by HansMustermann; 13th May 2016 at 03:54 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2016, 04:02 AM   #40
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It does appear that Mondial is indeed a "post and run" sort. Trollish.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts