ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 30th October 2017, 09:31 AM   #201
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I thought that was common knowledge. He asked them on camera to produce them.
Not in late April it wasn't. The hack wasn't made public until June.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:32 AM   #202
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
From The Hill

So the Trump campaign was aware that the Russians had hacked Hillary's/DNC's emails?
But...but... we were assured that they didn't!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:33 AM   #203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
When your only guiding political belief is "liberals suck," it's very easy to adjust.
That's so small, though, in the grand scale of things. Wanting your political opponents to be frustrated over anything else is... well, childish.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 09:53 AM   #204
Stacko
Philosopher

Reading this it's worth noting that on paper Papadopoulos' Campaign Supervisor was Jeff Sessions.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:00 AM   #205
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Oh well, no collusion.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:01 AM   #206
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Oh well, no collusion.
between Trump and America?

you are right, none whatsoever.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:01 AM   #207
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And if watching TV has taught me anything, it's that sealed guilty pleas are usually associated with plea bargains, and cooperation with investigators who are chasing bigger fish.

But that could just be wishful thinking on my part.............
I think you're right, and this is definitely the story to watch. Papadopoulos is tied to the Steele dossier, and this is a second confirmation of direct collusion with Russians to influence the election with dirt on Hillary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/who-is-source-d-the-man-said-to-be-behind-the-trump-russia-dossiers-most-salacious-claim/2017/379846a8-0f53-11e7-9d5a-/03/29a83e627dc120_story.html
Originally Posted by Washington Post
In June, a Belarusan American businessman who goes by the name Sergei Millian shared some tantalizing claims about Donald Trump.

Trump had a long-standing relationship with Russian officials, Millian told an associate, and those officials were now feeding Trump damaging information about his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton. Millian said that the information provided to Trump had been ďvery helpful.Ē

Unbeknownst to Millian, however, his conversation was not confidential. His associate passed on what he had heard to a former British intelligence officer who had been hired by Trumpís political opponents to gather information about the Republicanís ties to Russia.

The allegations by Millian ó whose role was first reported by the Wall Street Journal and has been confirmed by The Washington Post ó were central to the dossier compiled by the former spy, Christopher Steele. While the dossier has not been verified and its claims have been denied by Trump, Steeleís document said that Millianís assertions had been corroborated by other sources, including in the Russian government and former intelligence sources.

<snip>
Millian told several people that during the campaign and presidential transition he was in touch with George Papadopoulos, a campaign foreign policy adviser, according to a person familiar with the matter. Millian is among Papadopoulosís nearly 240 Facebook friends.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:02 AM   #208
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
George Papadopoulos was also indicted. You might remember him as the Trump aide that tried to set up a meeting with Putin during the campaign.

They're going to end up using the Iran-Contra defense, "Our Alzheimer's addled President had no idea what his underlings were doing!"
Yeah, he was arrested a month ago and was working for the campaign for about 5 minutes. They bundled it with this one for transparency.

This of course a simple process crime, another nothinburger.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:04 AM   #209
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
between Trump and America?

you are right, none whatsoever.
No thatís not it, Iíll help you. Between Russia and the Trump campaign, you know the hoax your side has pinned its hopes on?
Old 30th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #210
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Reading the indictment the Russia connection is rather obvious, as it is about financial ties between Manafort and his associates and Yanukovic and the Party of Regions in the Ukraine - a man and a party with heavy backing from Putin. There's nothing in the indictment to implicate Trump, but what is there will probably worry the Cheeto Supreme, as it's about money-laundering and illicit business practices which is what has been put forth as possible charges against the big man himself.
Lol!
Old 30th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #211
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Not in late April it wasn't. The hack wasn't made public until June.
Trump made his request in July if I can recall correctly. So while it wasn't public knowledge in April, it sure was knowledge that Trump had.

The "common knowledge" part came after Trump asked Russia for that.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #212
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh well, no collusion.

Old 30th October 2017, 10:07 AM   #213
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Has anybody posted this yet?

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...88473404256256

Twitter thread by a professor of law and journalism attempting to explain the ongoing developments. It's been going for several hours and is already at 130 tweets and I don't think he's finished.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:07 AM   #214
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

No thatís not it, Iíll help you. Between Russia and the Trump campaign, you know the hoax your side has pinned its hopes on?

Just stop. Either stop or admit you're just flat-out trolling at this point so we can move forward.

Not a hoax.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:08 AM   #215
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post

Twitter thread by a professor of law and journalism attempting to explain the ongoing developments. It's been going for several hours and is already at 130 tweets and I don't think he's finished.
Nah, I can't handle that format. If he could post it in its entirety elsewhere I'll read it.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #216
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
So the Trump campaign was aware that the Russians had hacked Hillary's/DNC's emails?
I thought that was common knowledge. He asked them on camera to produce them.
If I remember correctly, Trump's statement was that he asked for them to find the emails supposedly deleted from her private server when she was secretary of state, a system that, as far as I know, had never been affected by hacking. (i.e. its a different issue than the Democratic party email servers.)

So, Trump wasn't suggesting the release of information he knew existed, he was calling for a foreign entity to hack American computers. A stupid thing to do, but a different type of stupid.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:14 AM   #217
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If I remember correctly, Trump's statement was that he asked for them to find the emails supposedly deleted from her private server when she was secretary of state, a system that, as far as I know, had never been affected by hacking. (i.e. its a different issue than the Democratic party email servers.)

So, Trump wasn't suggesting the release of information he knew existed, he was calling for a foreign entity to hack American computers. A stupid thing to do, but a different type of stupid.

right.

Because Trump is always so precise in his statements that there is little room for interpretation.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:15 AM   #218
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Most reasonable people see that Trump was mocking the media. Good try though

Another nothing burger, oh well.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:17 AM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post

Summary?

Old 30th October 2017, 10:17 AM   #220
logger
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11555

Just stop. Either stop or admit you're just flat-out trolling at this point so we can move forward.

Not a hoax.
Yes I am Trolling, BOO

But itís still a hoax, your side doesnít have a thing and Mueller needs to resign and get ready to be interviewed.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:18 AM   #221
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes I am Trolling, BOO

But it’s still a hoax, your side doesn’t have a thing and Mueller needs to resign and get ready to be interviewed.
Curious that intelligence experts and professionals think there's something there and some internet nobody thinks he has all this figured out.

Old 30th October 2017, 10:22 AM   #222
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Curious that intelligence experts and professionals think there's something there.
And this is somehow unusual to you? There are a few leftists in government you know.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:24 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

And this is somehow unusual to you? There are a few leftists in government you know.
What is that supposed to mean?

Again, are you seriously suggesting that... oh, that's right. You were gone so long I almost forgot that you think everyone who disagrees with you is a colossal far-wing leftist.

Or at least you pretend to think that. Well, if and when the whole Trump edifice collapses, I look forward to reading your hysterical excuses.

Old 30th October 2017, 10:27 AM   #224
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Nah, I can't handle that format. If he could post it in its entirety elsewhere I'll read it.

Summary?

I expect he'll publish something in a more standard format soon. He was live-tweeting the events as they unfolded, breaking off to take developments on board then resuming to cover them.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:27 AM   #225
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Yes I am Trolling, BOO

But itís still a hoax, your side doesnít have a thing and Mueller needs to resign and get ready to be interviewed.
At this level, you have to admit this isn't a hoax. We have three people intimately associated with Trump and his campaign. Two under indictment and one has already pled guilty.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:32 AM   #226
Doubt
Philosopher

Yes I am Trolling, BOO

Let me fix that for you:

"Yes I am Trolling, Boo

But itís still a hoax, your side doesnít have a thing and Mueller needs to resign and get ready to be interviewed. nothing that follows the trolling confession can be taken seriously and is divorced from reality."

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #227
Childlike Empress
Suspended

Who said Podesta?

Tony Podesta stepping down from lobbying giant amid Mueller probe

Originally Posted by politico
Democratic power lobbyist Tony Podesta, founder of the Podesta Group, is stepping down from the firm that bears his name after coming under investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller. [...]

Podesta’s decision to leave the firm came on the same day that former Donald Trump campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were indicted on multiple charges, including money laundering, operating as federal agents of the Ukrainian government, failing to disclose overseas bank accounts and making false statements to federal authorities. Trump campaign foreign policy advisor George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month for lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials, according to court records.

The investigation into Podesta and his firm grew out of investigators’ examination of Manafort’s finances. Manafort organized a PR campaign on behalf of a nonprofit called the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine. Podesta Group was one of several firms that were paid to do work on the PR campaign to promote Ukraine in the U.S.

Podesta Group filed paperwork with the Justice Department in April stating that it had done work for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine that also benefited the same Ukrainian political party that Manafort once advised. Podesta Group said at the time it believed its client was a European think tank untethered to a political party. [...]
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:35 AM   #228
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Butwhataboutism!

Old 30th October 2017, 10:41 AM   #229
Childlike Empress
Suspended

Butwhataboutism!

Dumbpseudoskepticallabelspamism!
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:42 AM   #230
Belz...
Fiend God

Dumbpseudoskepticallabelspamism!
Wow, what a dumb answer. One post does not constitute spam, and it's not my fault if you're trying to divert attention from the topic by posting nonsense yourself.

Old 30th October 2017, 10:46 AM   #231
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
This is the first 100% incontrovertible proof that Mueller's investigation is legitimate and is getting results. No more "witch hunt" claims for the GOP.
I think you grossly understimate the tenacity of Republicans and the conservative news media to hang on to a lie. They will be claiming "witch hunt" even after people get convicted.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:51 AM   #232
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Summary?
The summary is, Trump's ******. Papadopolous is the smoking gun, all of his actions described in the indictment fit the timeline perfectly and make it painfully obvious that Trump knew exactly what was happening.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:53 AM   #233
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
So, no arrests on weekends in the US?

Cool.
I'm pretty sure that only applies to well connected people. If you're an average Joe and you start a drunken brawl in a bar in the wee hours of Saturday morning, there's a good chance your won't get bailed out until Monday
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 10:58 AM   #234
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller a leftist?!? How utterly surreal.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:01 AM   #235
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Great. If Tony Podesta broke the law, he can go to jail too.

The investigation into Podesta and his firm grew out of investigatorsí examination of Manafortís finances. Manafort organized a PR campaign on behalf of a nonprofit called the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine. Podesta Group was one of several firms that were paid to do work on the PR campaign to promote Ukraine in the U.S.

Or maybe it all has to do with Manafort. Either way, we'll find out. You have some of that ... you know... evidence ?

Or just the_donald conspiracy theories ?

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 30th October 2017 at 11:05 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 11:02 AM   #236
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Umm, I don't think you need a judge for an arrest warrant, the prosecuting attorneys issue official charges. And it's pretty easy for the prosecutor to get a Grand Jury to indict. They present a case with no defense allowed. No one is there to object to evidence or questioning.
Well yes, there is an old saying that a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich if the prosecutor wants it to.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:02 AM   #237
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Mueller a leftist?!? How utterly surreal.

Newt Gingrich

Robert Mueller is superb choice to be special counsel. His reputation is impeccable for honesty and integrity. Media should now calm down
Old 30th October 2017, 11:06 AM   #238
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Manafort, gates, plead Not Guilty.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:09 AM   #239
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The answer to that is so easy and not nefarious. It takes him that long to type the message before he hits enter.

Not all of us are fast on those itty bitty phone keyboards.
You'd think the small hands would help. OTOH, the small brain probably works against it.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:11 AM   #240
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Most reasonable people see that Trump was mocking the media. Good try though
First of all, you are assuming that Trump is actually smart/clever enough to engage in any sort of mocking. Given the fact that Trump has an intelligence level roughly the same as Forrest Gump, it would be correct to be skeptical of a claim that its just 'mockery'.

But lets give him the benefit of the doubt... lets say he really didn't want Russia/China to hack into Clinton's emails. Its still a joke/comment of a very questionable nature. (There are some things you don't joke about.)

Keep in mind that at the time, multiple Republican congress critters also criticized Trump fro his comments.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics