ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 10:34 AM   #3361
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Since some have recently opined that the Logan Act is obsolete, it's worth posting this article, which describes the ways it's been enforced and affirmed over the years, including as recently as 2006.
Old 14th May 2018, 02:55 AM   #3362
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread on new details about Trump and Rosneft
Old 14th May 2018, 03:20 AM   #3363
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
good stuff, thanks.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:03 AM   #3364
zorro99
Muse

Thousands of pages of Congressional testimony shed light on 2016 Trump Tower meeting
By Rosalind S. Helderman and Karoun Demirji

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.244cf6bfeb4d
Old 16th May 2018, 07:00 AM   #3365
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Thousands of pages of Congressional testimony shed light on 2016 Trump Tower meeting
By Rosalind S. Helderman and Karoun Demirji

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.244cf6bfeb4d
Senate Judiciary Dem statement on transcripts released today: “[T]he Committee has found evidence of multiple contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian government officials or their intermediaries, including offers of assistance and purported overtures from Vladimir Putin"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:02 AM   #3366
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Excerpts being discussed now on CNN.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:11 AM   #3367
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

And because nothing in this weird administration is complete without Scaramucci, a weird mail he sent in July 2017 to Goldstone:

Clipboard01.jpg

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...64513834856448
Old 16th May 2018, 09:01 AM   #3368
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
And because nothing in this weird administration is complete without Scaramucci, a weird mail he sent in July 2017 to Goldstone:

Attachment 38326

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...64513834856448
Will he do the Fandango?
Old 16th May 2018, 09:08 AM   #3369
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread analysing the just-released testimony of Jared Kushner
Old 16th May 2018, 09:13 AM   #3370
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...47126238531584

Quote:
In July 2015, Rob Goldstone emailed Trump's longtime personal assistant, inviting Trump to Aras Agalarov's birthday party in Moscow.

When rebuffed, Goldstone adds: "unless maybe he would welcome a meeting with President Putin which Emin would set up" https://bit.ly/2rLr4Hi
Old 16th May 2018, 09:14 AM   #3371
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...49706381406209

Quote:
Senate Judiciary Democrats: "In its investigation so far, the Committee has found evidence of multiple contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian government officials or their intermediaries, including offers of assistance and purported overtures from Vladimir Putin."
Old 16th May 2018, 09:16 AM   #3372
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...59730491199488

Quote:
P. 26-28: Don Jr. "believes" on the day of the Trump Tower meeting he spoke with Emin Agalarov (this call was also described in House Intel report).

Following that, Don Jr. had a call lasting 4-minutes to a blocked number. Don Jr. couldn't remember to whom he spoke.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...66105975906304

Quote:
Ike Kaveladze says that Don Jr. asked Rinat Akhmetshin and Natalia Veselnitskaya "if they got anything on Hillary" during the Trump Tower meeting. (Page 45)
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...77312317333504

Quote:
Interesting that Don Jr. can't seem to remember Rinat Akhmetshin even being present at the Trump Tower meeting (left, P. 37-38) but Ike Kaveladze makes a point of saying he remembers how surprised he was with Akhmesthin's "highly inappropriate" pink attire (right, P. 49).
Old 16th May 2018, 09:31 AM   #3373
Arcade22
Illuminator

WITCH HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #3374
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Thread unrolled at threadreader

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...967355904.html
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:52 PM   #3375
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Code Name Crossfire Hurricane: The Secret Origins of the Trump Investigation

Article in the NYT about the early days of the FBI investigation about Trump campaign links with Russia.

And, better late than never I guess, the NYT grudgingly admits that its infamous article Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia, published a week before the election, was not the newspaper's finest hour.

Quote:
In late October, in response to questions from The Times, law enforcement officials acknowledged the investigation but urged restraint. They said they had scrutinized some of Mr. Trump’s advisers but had found no proof of any involvement with Russian hacking. The resulting article, on Oct. 31, reflected that caution and said that agents had uncovered no “conclusive or direct link between Mr. Trump and the Russian government.”

The key fact of the article — that the F.B.I. had opened a broad investigation into possible links between the Russian government and the Trump campaign — was published in the 10th paragraph.

A year and a half later, no public evidence has surfaced connecting Mr. Trump’s advisers to the hacking or linking Mr. Trump himself to the Russian government’s disruptive efforts. But the article’s tone and headline — “Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia” — gave an air of finality to an investigation that was just beginning.

Democrats say that article pre-emptively exonerated Mr. Trump, dousing chances to raise questions about the campaign’s Russian ties before Election Day.

Just as the F.B.I. has been criticized for its handling of the Trump investigation, so too has The Times.

Last edited by Firestone; 16th May 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 06:48 PM   #3376
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Code Name Crossfire Hurricane: The Secret Origins of the Trump Investigation

Article in the NYT about the early days of the FBI investigation about Trump campaign links with Russia.

And, better late than never I guess, the NYT grudgingly admits that its infamous article Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia, published a week before the election, was not the newspaper's finest hour.
You might want to read this. Check out Kimberly Strassels tweets at the bottom.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 08:57 PM   #3377
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Also from the Judiciary Committee, the NRA connection:

Quote:
Russia’s Connection to the National Rifle Association
The Committee has obtained a number of documents that suggest the Kremlin
used the National Rifle Association as a means of accessing and assisting Mr. Trump and
his campaign. Two individuals involved in this effort appear to be Russian nationals
Alexander Torshin and Maria Butina. Mr. Torshin is a Putin ally and the Deputy
Governor of the Central Bank of Russia,125 and Ms. Butina served as his assistant. She
also founded Right to Bear Arms, the Russian equivalent of the NRA, and started a
business with former Trump supporter and adviser Paul Erickson

Both Mr. Torshin and Ms. Butina have longstanding ties to ex-NRA president, David Keene, and in 2013,
hosted him in Russia for a pro-gun conference. During the campaign, Mr. Torshin, Ms. Butina, and their intermediaries
repeatedly offered the campaign back channels to Russia and relayed requests from
President Putin to meet with Mr. Trump. The Kremlin may also have used the NRA to
secretly fund Mr. Trump’s campaign. The extent of Russia’s use of the NRA as an
avenue for connecting with and potentially supporting the Trump campaign needs
examination. Requests for documents and staff interviews have been sent to Ms. Butina,
Mr. Erickson, and Mr. Keene, but they have refused to cooperate.
Linky.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:18 PM   #3378
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Name one other president who did it.

Do you have a dictionary? They not only didn't tell the FBI; they lied about it, knowing the risks of doing so.

Probably not true and not really relevant to anything except Trump's enormous ego problems, which we are all now forced to suffer through. If TrumpCo gave up significant concessions in return for what they expected to be significant, election-altering dirt, then they're going down.

LOL, no, because calling that perfectly legal oppo research "colluding with Russians" is idiotic, and so is comparing it in any way to exchanging sanctions relief for stolen documents. You don't seem to have a very good grasp of the legal issues here.
I am aghast at people like Logger.

I would have thought that there had been found to be any, and I mean any sniff that there had been attempts to subjugate their democracy, the Make Merica Great Again bone heads would be angry and the first to march in the streets waving flags and want it investigated, fully and properly and quickly.

They bang on about being the leaders of the free world, of wanting minimum government control, of being good Christians. You would think that if a foreign power, and Russia of all countries, was found to be messing with that, they would want it stopped and protected.

I understand the attraction of what (you think) Trump stands for. But he is a liar and moron. For goodness sake find a another Candidate that is at least a real Patriot (if thats what floats your boat).

I think it has gotten to the point that if Trump personally said to Logger that he really didn't care about America or Americans, he only cared about himself and getting rich, he would still support him.

Last edited by BadBoy; 16th May 2018 at 11:21 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:35 PM   #3379
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I think it has gotten to the point that if Trump personally said to Logger that he really didn't care about America or Americans, he only cared about himself and getting rich, he would still support him.
"He's just telling it like it is."
Old 17th May 2018, 12:19 AM   #3380
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Also from the Judiciary Committee, the NRA connection:

Linky.
holy big balls. What did he say in Watergate - follow the money.
Old 17th May 2018, 03:07 AM   #3381
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...98450657734656

Quote:
Text messages and emails provided by Felix Sater to the government contradict Michael Cohen’s version of events, indicating that he was planning a trip to Russia to meet government officials in mid-2016, as Trump was clinching the nomination.
Old 17th May 2018, 03:21 AM   #3382
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson's thread about Trump Jr. Congressional testimony is now complete, and it's a whopper. Lots of very interesting stuff in there, if you've the time and attention-span to read it.
Old 17th May 2018, 08:21 AM   #3383
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Senate Intelligence Committee agrees with the Intelligence community re election interference: "The Russian effort was extensive, sophisticated, and ordered by President Putin himself for the purpose of helping Donald Trump and hurting Hillary Clinton"
Old 17th May 2018, 10:06 AM   #3384
logger
Banned

So hopefully we’ll get the facts of their conclusion by Fall.

I wonder if they’ll release before or after the election?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:28 AM   #3385
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
So hopefully we’ll get the facts of their conclusion by Fall.

I wonder if they’ll release before or after the election?
Do you accept their statement? Even though it contradicts the conclusion of the Congressional Intelligence Committee Republicans?
Old 17th May 2018, 11:18 AM   #3386
logger
Banned

Do you accept their statement? Even though it contradicts the conclusion of the Congressional Intelligence Committee Republicans?
Not till I see the evidence. I don’t trust much that committee comes out with. Warner was literally colluding Himself.
Old 17th May 2018, 12:54 PM   #3387
Stacko
Philosopher

The Seychelles meeting is back in the news.

Quote:
A Russian plane linked to the country's government flew into the Seychelles the day prior to a 2017 meeting now under review by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, according to the airport flight data obtained by NJ Advance Media.

Mueller's team is examining a series of meetings that took place in the Seychelles, an archipelago in the Indian Ocean, as part of its broader investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Much speculation has centered on one particular meeting that took place between Erik Prince, founder of the security company Blackwater, Kirill Dmitriev, the director of one of Russia's sovereign wealth funds, and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the effective ruler of the United Arab Emirates (also known as "MBZ").

Few details have emerged about the contents of the meetings. Last year, the Washington Post described this meeting in its reporting as an attempt by the U.S. to set up a backchannel with Russia. Prince, in a testimony with the House Intelligence Committee in December, described his meeting on the island as a chance encounter.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:59 PM   #3388
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Do you accept their statement? Even though it contradicts the conclusion of the Congressional House Intelligence Committee Republicans?

Slight correction for accuracy.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 02:53 AM   #3389
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/997625334026702849

Quote:
One of most amusing, sad, incriminating exchanges in Trump campaign associates’ Senate testimony.

Read this twice:

It’s not collusion because nobody used the words “collusion” or “colluded with Russia” in the meetings.

https://www.justsecurity.org/56462/b...tower-meeting/
via @K8brannen
Relevant quote embedded in the tweet.
Old 19th May 2018, 03:00 AM   #3390
Lurch
Muse

"Your honor, my client cannot be charged with murder because, while stabbing the victim, at no point did he specifically utter the word 'murder'".
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 07:43 AM   #3391
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...34210084835329

Quote:
DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen says that she hasn't seen the Intelligence Community's specific judgment that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to help Trump win the White House.

"I do not believe that I have seen that conclusion."
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...35323152474113

Quote:
Less than a week ago, the Senate Intelligence Committee said they agreed with the IC’s assessment that the Russians were trying to get Trump elected.

But the Secretary of Homeland Security now says she still hasn’t seen that judgement.
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:04 AM   #3392
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...34210084835329

Quote:
DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen says that she hasn't seen the Intelligence Community's specific judgment that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to help Trump win the White House.

"I do not believe that I have seen that conclusion."
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...35323152474113

Quote:
Less than a week ago, the Senate Intelligence Committee said they agreed with the IC’s assessment that the Russians were trying to get Trump elected.

But the Secretary of Homeland Security now says she still hasn’t seen that judgement.

Maybe her eyes were closed?

Maybe she didn't look?

"None so blind ...", etc., etc..

Certainly she couldn't have been telling a fib. It is well known that no one in the Trump administration would ever do such a thing.

Last edited by quadraginta; 22nd May 2018 at 10:06 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:57 AM   #3393
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/998011773646196736

Quote:
Ever since the 1966 Hoffa decision, SCOTUS has held that using secret government informants to win the confidence of suspected offenders doesn’t even require a warrant because no search or seizure is involved. So Trump’s effort to make a mountain out of the FBI molehill is crazy.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:05 PM   #3394
logger
Banned

Lol, wow

Wait till the Trump FBI/DOJ put an informant in the Joe Biden campaign.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:21 PM   #3395
beren
Graduate Poster

Lol, wow

Wait till the Trump FBI/DOJ put an informant in the Joe Biden campaign.
Why?
Does the FBI has solid evidence his campaign is in contact with the Russians?
Because if they do, then they should do exactly that.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:24 PM   #3396
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Why?
Does the FBI has solid evidence his campaign is in contact with the Russians?
Because if they do, then they should do exactly that.
Because it illustrates what corrupt intelligence people can do. And no, they would have the same made up intelligence as the current corrupt officials.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:35 PM   #3397
beren
Graduate Poster

Because it illustrates what corrupt intelligence people can do. And no, they would have the same made up intelligence as the current corrupt officials.
Evidence that the intelligence is made up?

And yes that is a serious question.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:00 PM   #3398
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Evidence that the intelligence is made up?

And yes that is a serious question.
A dossier that was paid for by the DNC?

Papa and Paige were set up by an informant working for the FBI?

FISA applications that were gotten under dubious circumstances?

The whole top leadership of the FBI gone. Fired, demoted or kept in place to answer questions?

It’s quite a mess. Wire tapping and spying on the opposition candidate then setting up an investigation is the worst we’ve ever seen in this country.
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:07 PM   #3399
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Of which much was independently verified.

Quote:
And have admitted to numerous counts of wrongdoing outside the alleged setup.

Quote:
Which went through the approval process multiple times, and the dubious nature of the circumstances is yet to be evidenced.

Quote:
The whole top leadership of the FBI gone. Fired, demoted or kept in place to answer questions?
You forgot to add "by the same people who were being investigated by them, and in many cases who appointed those leaders".

Quote:
It’s quite a mess. Wire tapping and spying on the opposition candidate then setting up an investigation is the worst we’ve ever seen in this country.
Facts? Who needs 'em?! You can prove anything that's even remotely true with facts!
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:18 PM   #3400
beren
Graduate Poster

Not strictly true, but also no evidence of fakery.

Quote:
Please provide evidence of this and substantiate that it is evidence of fakery.

Quote:
Please provide evidence that it was dubious. I have seen plenty to suggest it wasn't, and none to suggest it was.

Quote:
Evidence that Trump is corrupt, but not of fakery.

Quote:
]It’s quite a mess. Wire tapping and spying on the opposition candidate then setting up an investigation is the worst we’ve ever seen in this country.
Evidence that any of this happened?

In summary: you made a bunch of claims, most of which I believe to be false. None of them are evidence of fakery. Most of them aren't evidence of anything since they are bare assertions.

I am willing to peruse any EVIDENCE you can provide. Got any?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics