ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Old 9th May 2018, 11:13 AM   #1
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Mod Info This is a continuation of the previous thread. Participants are free to quote from the previous thread.
Posted By:Agatha

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
1,442,420 > 1,135,000
One may wish to review the timing of the deposits and withdrawals...

- Cyrée Jarelle Johnson The Root

Last edited by Agatha; 9th May 2018 at 11:33 AM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:14 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I think The Big Dog misinterpreted Elliott Broidy's payment
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:14 AM   #3
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I can ask them if you want, but I am pretty sure they are going to say that it is unethical to use documents that were stolen from a third party.
Presumes they were stolen.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:14 AM   #4
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Maybe TBD has an accountant buddy too.
Nope, just a calendar.

The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:15 AM   #5
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

One may wish to review the timing of the deposits and withdrawals...
Are you saying it's a cash flow issue?
Old 9th May 2018, 11:18 AM   #6
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Are you saying it's a cash flow issue?
I have explained that the information released by Stormy's lawyer is obviously incomplete as simple analysis of the deposits and withdrawals can easily confirm.

I mean that it is obvious, the chart shows withdrawals through September 2017 that SUBSTANTIALLY exceed the deposits as of September

Last edited by The Big Dog; 9th May 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:24 AM   #7
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I have explained that the information released by Stormy's lawyer is obviously incomplete as simple analysis of the deposits and withdrawals can easily confirm.
What information is missing, a running account balance with opening and ending balances?
You could just say "I don't know what cash flow means", also.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

What information is missing, a running account balance with opening and ending balances?
You could just say "I don't know what cash flow means", also.

I literally just explained "the chart shows withdrawals through September 2017 that SUBSTANTIALLY exceed the deposits as of September."

Clearly there is information missing, this is obvious.

Old 9th May 2018, 11:33 AM   #9
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

We also know that he did not issue a subpoena, rather it seems clear that he got them as the result of an improper leak, which he refuses to disclose based on 'work product' which I am sure the thread lawyers will shortly tell us is not how authenticity works.
I can ask them if you want, but I am pretty sure they are going to say that it is unethical to use documents that were stolen from a third party.
You forgot to provide ANY EVIDENCE for these claims.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:35 AM   #10
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I literally just explained "the chart shows withdrawals through September 2017 that SUBSTANTIALLY exceed the deposits as of September."

The account balance, then? Did they take it down too far? Why does it matter to the analysis?
Old 9th May 2018, 11:41 AM   #11
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The account balance, then? Did they take it down too far? Why does it matter to the analysis?
They took it down well below negative according to the chart .... which shows that the information is incomplete.

Old 9th May 2018, 11:48 AM   #12
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
They took it down well below negative according to the chart .... which shows that the information is incomplete.
Can you show your math? Because I don't see that.

From the list, there was $1,242,420 in the account at the time of Cohen's 1,005,000 withdrawal.

You do realize, I hope, that the arrows on the chart show whether money was put in or out, and it's source and destination? Broidy added $62,500 to the account....the rest of the expenditures on there are from him to Keith Davidson via REAG.

ETA: Actually, a correction: should have been $1,112,420 when Cohen withdrew his cash (according to the chart). I forgot to take out the $130k for Stormy.

Last edited by Hellbound; 9th May 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:49 AM   #13
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

What we're looking at is cash flow for a given period.

I think some are expecting it to "balance". That's a mistaken assumption.

To which someone could just reply, "Ah, yes. I stand corrected".

I won't hold my breath.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:49 AM   #14
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Depends on what the balance before and after the timeline is. Why do you think it even matters? Do you think the information they show is all they have? Once again, you are somehow thinking the cash flow balance is important for some reason.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:50 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It is kind of shocking with all the money laundering Trump has been involved in over the years that he and his employees are not better at it.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:50 AM   #16
Random
Master Poster

The chart is definitely incomplete. MSNBC is saying at least $4 million went though the LLC...
Old 9th May 2018, 11:52 AM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The chart is definitely incomplete. MSNBC is saying at least $4 million went though the LLC...
Yes, thank you, that is what I have been trying to explain.

Old 9th May 2018, 11:55 AM   #18
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Yes, thank you, that is what I have been trying to explain.
No, you were focused on a single month, September 2017.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:57 AM   #19
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, you were focused on a single month, September 2017.
False.

Old 9th May 2018, 12:06 PM   #20
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

False.
And you did not say WHY September flows were important. If the rest of the income occurred before the timeline, outflows in September are not important. If you start with a million, taking out a few hundred thousand as of September is unimportant. It's the end to end inflows and outflows.

ETA: I feel like I am debating a climate change denialist, picking two points most favorable to their argument on the global temperature timeline.

Last edited by LSSBB; 9th May 2018 at 12:09 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From part I post 3550
Originally Posted by lomiller
Not directly since the payment to Stormy happened before the Russian money was put in the account.
That presumes there were single payments. The payments could have been made before to that account or to another one.

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Like I was saying.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th May 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #22
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well this absolutely has got to be a first for me, I point out that a chart is missing information and someone vociferously disagrees with me by pointing out that there may be missing information.

Oy vey....

Old 9th May 2018, 12:20 PM   #23
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Well this absolutely has got to be a first for me, I point out that a chart is missing information and someone vociferously disagrees with me by pointing out that there may be missing information.

Oy vey....
Why was September important to you?
Old 9th May 2018, 12:24 PM   #24
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Why was September important to you?
Because the chart shows that the $1,005,000 figure was withdraw between July and September 2017.

Old 9th May 2018, 12:36 PM   #25
Lurch
Critical Thinker

At this stage it's probably a given that the info on the EC LLC inflow/outflow of $$ is incomplete. And so haggling over details of figures is a fool's errand. Suffice it to say that the sources and timing are awfully suggestive of pay-to-play influence peddling.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 12:42 PM   #26
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Because the chart shows that the $1,005,000 figure was withdraw between July and September 2017.
So? Why is that important to you? Do you think it would be "overdrawn", like a bank account?
Old 9th May 2018, 12:45 PM   #27
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It is a bank account.

Old 9th May 2018, 12:46 PM   #28
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

It is a bank account.
Why does that matter?
Old 9th May 2018, 12:46 PM   #29
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Since Cohen isn't registered as a lobbyist, wouldn't it be illegal not just for him, but for AT&T to hire him in such a capacity. Their email said he was a "consultant" and that it wasn't for lobbying but that is absurd.
Quote:
Cohen was one of those consultants. Cohen did no legal or lobbying work for us, and our contract with Cohen expired at the end of its term in December 2017. It was not until the following month in January 2018 that the media first reported, and AT&T first became aware of, the current controversy surrounding Cohen.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 12:54 PM   #30
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Since Cohen isn't registered as a lobbyist, wouldn't it be illegal not just for him, but for AT&T to hire him in such a capacity. Their email said he was a "consultant" and that it wasn't for lobbying but that is absurd.
According to the LA Times:

Quote:
Cohen wouldn't have had to register as a lobbyist unless he spent 20% of the time he devoted to AT&T on efforts to influence the federal government while having at least two contacts with one or more high-ranking government officials, including members of Congress, their staff or administration officials.

Old 9th May 2018, 12:59 PM   #31
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/994156631440216069

Quote:
Michael Avenatti

Verified account

@MichaelAvenatti
Follow Follow @MichaelAvenatti
More
Priceless = Watching all of the companies that sent money to the LLC slush fund come up with different alleged reasons for hiring Mr. Cohen – “accounting advice,” “real estate consulting,” “insight,” etc. Who knew Mr. Cohen was such a brilliant renaissance man? #nonsense #basta

Again from Badscience:

Liverpoolmiss has also pointed out that Muller interviewed Novartis about their links to Cohen and Essential in November - so we know he's ahead of the curve on this.

Originally Posted by liverpoolmiss
That Korea Aerospace describes it as "accounting advice" is the killer. One excuse being so ridiculous reveals the others to be shams as well, even though in isolation "property consulting" or "insight" might have a veneer of plausibility.

But I suppose no excuse could work, given Essential was a shell company created in order to shuffle money around. Essential opened its bank accounts with lies, and the KYC rules for banks ("know your customer") expressly exist to prevent shuffling of money around. It had no employees, no premises, no marketing to try and win these clients eager for advice, not even a website. The only way AT&T and Novartis could have known about Essential Consultants is if they got told: pay here.

Giuliani tried to take the line that the Stormy Daniels was a private payment, unrelated to the campaign, something Cohen handled as Trump's private fixer. In that case, AT&T and Novartis paid huge amounts into a fund that was then used for Trump's private payment. AT&T is American, subject to US law, SEC regulations, US taxes. It's clearly a secret bribe - AT&T secretly funding the secret slush fund that had secretly paid off Trump's secret lover - at a time when AT&T was trying to get its Time Warner merger past the Trump administration's Justice Department and was trying to get net neutrality regulations repealed. I think AT&T are in deep ****.

Novartis is Swiss, not sure if being foreign helps or hinders their position. I haven't seen any explanation for why they made 4 payments of just under $100k. These payments weren't monthly instalments, they were made several days apart. Maybe $99k gets round some internal control their finance department has in place?

Trump has told so many lies about Stormy that we don't know how/if he reimbursed Cohen. Maybe these lies were forced upon him, because he contributed nothing to the $130,000 settlement and just used this bribe money to repay Cohen. Maybe there was money that flowed from the Essential bank account to Trump or another member of his crime family.

AT&T's best approach is to come clean. I'm sure that's what their lawyers are recommending. The biggest telecoms company in the world can't be seen to be hiding this sort of crap, even if what they did was technically legal. They should disclose all the paperwork and emails they received - invoices, who personally performed the "insight" work, who provided the bank account details to pay, who authorised it at their end. To be part of a cover up would be a bad mistake for a company that relies so much on regulation, lobbying and political influence.

This is all without getting into the Russian link.
Originally Posted by AMS
Novartis new statement: they paid $1.2m in total. They got nothing in return. Well, one meeting with the great Michael Cohen himself.

Quote:
Novartis said it believed Cohen "could advise the company as to how the Trump administration might approach certain U.S. health-care policy matters, including the Affordable Care Act."

But just a month after signing the deal, Novartis executives had their first meeting with Cohen, and afterward "determined that Michael Cohen and Essentials Consultants would be unable to provide the services that Novartis had anticipated."

But Novartis kept paying Cohen.

"As the contract, unfortunately, could only be terminated for cause, payments continued to be made until the contract expired by its own terms in February 2018," Novartis said.

That means that Cohen was paid up to $1.2 million for his work.
Looks like Novartis would rather pretend they're incompetent morons than bribing crooks. Sadly, this just makes them look like both.
cough due diligence cough.

No way that a company like Novartis would piss away that sort of money on a single "consultant" quite so naively.
Also, apparently the Russian company paying Cohen bought a whole bunch of "alt-right" related domain names.

ETA:

If you were a Korean company and wanted advice on US GAAP (the US technical accounting standards) would you go to:

1) KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, someone like that?

2) Essentials Consultants, a recently established company run entirely by a sleazy lawyer with no knowledge of accounting?

Korea Aerospace went with (2) and paid $150,000. Maybe it was for great technical accounting advice. Maybe it was because Korea Aerospace Industries was trying to sell its planes in the US. Who could possibly know.

Excluding the deal for Elliot Broidy and his Playboy model settlement, the known slush-fund payers via the First Republic account are:

Russian oligarchs (channelled via Vekselberg) $500,000 - no confirmation yet
Novartis $400,000 - they've confirmed they paid
AT&T $200,000 - they've confirmed they paid
Korea Aerospace $150,000 - they've confirmed they paid

Known payments out are:

Stormy Daniels - $130,000
Luxuries for Cohen like Mercedes-Benz, private club membership - various relatively small amounts

Where did the rest of the money go? I bet Mueller knows.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 9th May 2018 at 01:00 PM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 01:00 PM   #32
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What I don't get is how TBD is still defending Donald Trump and attacking Avenatti? This latest information shows money flowing into a shell company from a pharmaceutical company and a Russian oligarch with close ties to Putin that paid off Daniels, paid a woman for an abortion who was impregnated by Broidy/Trump.

Also, does anyone know if Trump's doorman was paid off by Cohen or American Media?
Old 9th May 2018, 01:02 PM   #33
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

According to the LA Times:

Quote:
Cohen wouldn't have had to register as a lobbyist unless he spent 20% of the time he devoted to AT&T on efforts to influence the federal government while having at least two contacts with one or more high-ranking government officials, including members of Congress, their staff or administration officials.

Well, I expect he meets the 'contact' standard without too much trouble.

Not sure what "20% of the time he devoted to AT&T" would mean.

If he spent a couple of hours on it, and talked to Trump about it for 30 minutes, would that count?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 01:12 PM   #34
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Gotta be honest, if I am Mueller, I might make a quick visit to Avenatti's office and tell him to tone down the thirsty grandstanding or perhaps they will have to take a deep dive into exactly where he got his information and under what circumstances.

Having this knucklehead running around like a self appointed prosecutor is not going to help Mueller's job.

If I am working for Cohen? I start asking who is leaking to Thirsty.

Old 9th May 2018, 01:22 PM   #35
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/994156631440216069

Again from Badscience:

Liverpoolmiss has also pointed out that Muller interviewed Novartis about their links to Cohen and Essential in November - so we know he's ahead of the curve on this.

Also, apparently the Russian company paying Cohen bought a whole bunch of "alt-right" related domain names.

ETA:
And Cohen wasn't registered as a foreign agent either. I can't wait for him to be arrested.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 01:24 PM   #36
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Gotta be honest, if I am Mueller, I might make a quick visit to Avenatti's office and tell him to tone down the thirsty grandstanding or perhaps they will have to take a deep dive into exactly where he got his information and under what circumstances.

Having this knucklehead running around like a self appointed prosecutor is not going to help Mueller's job.

Maybe Avenatti was just doing the obvious and asking for the details of the entity that paid his client. The fact that it was a shell company with no obvious ties to Trump would probably be a bit of a red flag to someone who had read of Trump's money laundering.

It doesn't need links, just someone with a reasonable level of competence and a case to subonea the details of the shell company that paid off his client.

I wouldn't be surprised if it transpires that Stormy Daniels' first lawyer had a conflict of interest.

As has been said elsewhere - it is surprising that Cohen hadn't set up alternative shell companies but seemed to have been lazy/greedy/stupid and used one entity for a lot of slush funding.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 01:28 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As has been said elsewhere - it is surprising that Cohen hadn't set up alternative shell companies but seemed to have been lazy/greedy/stupid and used one entity for a lot of slush funding.
We don't actually know that he didn't, of course; just that he should have at least had a couple more.
Old 9th May 2018, 01:29 PM   #38
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Did you read the article, or just look at the picture?
Old 9th May 2018, 01:40 PM   #39
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Avenatti was just doing the obvious and asking for the details of the entity that paid his client. The fact that it was a shell company with no obvious ties to Trump would probably be a bit of a red flag to someone who had read of Trump's money laundering.

It doesn't need links, just someone with a reasonable level of competence and a case to subonea the details of the shell company that paid off his client.

I wouldn't be surprised if it transpires that Stormy Daniels' first lawyer had a conflict of interest.

His client signed the contract with the entity and Thirsty clearly did not at all use a subpoena to get the documents.

he was asked point blank where he got them and said it was "work product" which is bull **** if they were stolen and leaked to him.

Old 9th May 2018, 01:40 PM   #40
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

How long will it take for the press to get hold of the email that is sent around the administration asking about leaks related to Cohen?

Maybe it would be easier if I just set an over/under at 32 minutes.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics