ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 9th May 2018, 04:50 PM   #81
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,389
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
The Russian company claims it hired Cohen as a consultant “regarding potential sources of capital and potential investments in real estate and other ventures.”

Good thing they didn't claim they hired him for legal work, because then Cohen would have had to name them in court, correct?
Except its being claimed the company isn’t Russian?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:01 PM   #82
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Holy moly could AVenatti gotten stolen papers on the wrong Micheal Cohen?

This is getting interesting!

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...s/#more-149049
Yep. Already presented to judge wood.

Bad day for michael.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:01 PM   #83
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Holy moly could AVenatti gotten stolen papers on the wrong Micheal Cohen?

This is getting interesting!

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...s/#more-149049
Hardly. Avenatti produced what are SARs. These are Suspicious Activity Reports. Banks have to submit them for unusual transactions. They are maintained in the SAR database. Thousands of people have access.

What is far far more important is the content and what it shows. Something tells me that a full examination of Cohen's banking will show enough criminality to put Cohen away for decades. That is if he doesn't sing.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:06 PM   #84
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I wait in vain for you to say anything correct about the practice of law.
Please feel free to correct anything you feel is wrong with my post, in light of the fact that he has a pending motion to appear pro hac vice. If you would like me explain what pending ethics complaints have to do with such motions, i would be happy to explain.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:15 PM   #85
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 4,288
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Please feel free to correct anything you feel is wrong with my post, in light of the fact that he has a pending motion to appear pro hac vice. If you would like me explain what pending ethics complaints have to do with such motions, i would be happy to explain.
Why do you keep saying pro hac vice like it's some scary, or aggressive term? Care to explain to everyone what it means? Just curious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:17 PM   #86
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Holy moly could AVenatti gotten stolen papers on the wrong Micheal Cohen?

This is getting interesting!

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...s/#more-149049
Not according to the companies who made payments to Cohen, and confirm they did indeed make payments to the Cohen in this case.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:18 PM   #87
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Except its being claimed the company isn’t Russian?
It's being claimed, but so? It's the US branch of a Russian oligarch's company.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:23 PM   #88
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
It's being claimed, but so? It's the US branch of a Russian oligarch's company.
This is like Amazon saying it isn't a Seattle company because it's incorporated in Deleware.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:44 PM   #89
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Not according to the companies who made payments to Cohen, and confirm they did indeed make payments to the Cohen in this case.
It smacks of “anomaly hunting”.

Avanatti admitted on TV that at least one of the alleged payments might have been made by or to a different Michael Cohen.

It’s part and parcel of the Roy Cohn/Roger Stone/Donald Trump playbook to hone in on that one discrepancy and tout it as if it invalidates the 90% plus allegations that are, in fact, true.

And it’s transparent, tiresome, and in the long run ineffectual.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 9th May 2018 at 06:48 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:53 PM   #90
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It smacks of “anomaly hunting”.

Avanatti admitted on TV that at least one of the alleged payments might have been made by a different Michael Cohen.

It’s part and parcel of the Roy Cohn/Roger Stone/Donald Trump playbook to hone in on that one discrepancy and tout it as if it invalidates the 90% plus allegations that are, in fact, true.

And it’s transparent, tiresome, and in the long run ineffectual.
Actually it is at least three, and reveals that Avenatti is sloppy and is willing to damage innocent people using documents that he clearly did not obtain legally.

He claimed that Cohen was tapped and now he is attacking AT&T and others based on his wildly biased opinions.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:59 PM   #91
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,694
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Actually it is at least three, and reveals that Avenatti is sloppy and is willing to damage innocent people using documents that he clearly did not obtain legally.

He claimed that Cohen was tapped and now he is attacking AT&T and others based on his wildly biased opinions.
Proof that he obtained them illegally?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:10 PM   #92
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Actually it is at least three, and reveals that Avenatti is sloppy and is willing to damage innocent people using documents that he clearly did not obtain legally.

He claimed that Cohen was tapped and now he is attacking AT&T and others based on his wildly biased opinions.
WOW! You'd be dangerous if you had a clue. Avenatti is wiping the floor with Trump and his morons. Innocent people LMAO.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:22 PM   #93
Random
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,918
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Actually it is at least three, and reveals that Avenatti is sloppy and is willing to damage innocent people using documents that he clearly did not obtain legally.

He claimed that Cohen was tapped and now he is attacking AT&T and others based on his wildly biased opinions.
Um, AT&T has already said that they gave Cohen money. Novartis has said they gave Cohen money. Cohen has said that he took money from AT&T and Novartis...
__________________
"...Am I actually watching Big Bird argue with the Egyptian God of the Dead? Is PBS sending some kind of weird religious message here?"
Random is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:29 PM   #94
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Um, AT&T has already said that they gave Cohen money. Novartis has said they gave Cohen money. Cohen has said that he took money from AT&T and Novartis...
The Novartis initial confirmation was especially funny as it essentially said that the relationship had ended by the time the new CEO took over Novartis, not even trying to defend the relationship.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:32 PM   #95
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It smacks of “anomaly hunting”.

Avanatti admitted on TV that at least one of the alleged payments might have been made by a different Michael Cohen.

It’s part and parcel of the Roy Cohn/Roger Stone/Donald Trump playbook to hone in on that one discrepancy and tout it as if it invalidates the 90% plus allegations that are, in fact, true.

And it’s transparent, tiresome, and in the long run ineffectual.

They play up anything less than statements of absolute certainty as being indicative of dishonesty rather than an acknowledgement of the possibility of mistakes. That way when they tell the most obvious lies, they can cite their vehement insistence as supporting evidence in and of itself.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:35 PM   #96
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 16,666
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
The Novartis initial confirmation was especially funny as it essentially said that the relationship had ended by the time the new CEO took over Novartis, not even trying to defend the relationship.
Indeed, Novartis basically has said they got conned by Cohen, realized it after the first meeting, but had to let the contract run out. In the US there'd be shareholder lawsuit already filed.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #97
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Um, AT&T has already said that they gave Cohen money. Novartis has said they gave Cohen money. Cohen has said that he took money from AT&T and Novartis...
Avenatti is claiming that in so doing what they did was illegal, despite the fact there is no basis for that conclusion.

The actual evidence of wrongdoing is the fact that Avenatti is under investigation by the Treasury department (well that and the whole tax fraud thing.)

Hopefully Mueller and Wood can rope this clown in.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:11 PM   #98
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Avenatti is claiming that in so doing what they did was illegal, despite the fact there is no basis for that conclusion.

The actual evidence of wrongdoing is the fact that Avenatti is under investigation by the Treasury department (well that and the whole tax fraud thing.)

Hopefully Mueller and Wood can rope this clown in.
You're so desperate. Avenatti keeps kicking Trump's ass all over the floor and you keep sticking up for that sleazeball and his criminal lawyer.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:19 PM   #99
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Please feel free to correct anything you feel is wrong with my post, in light of the fact that he has a pending motion to appear pro hac vice. If you would like me explain what pending ethics complaints have to do with such motions, i would be happy to explain.
Oh well, was not really expected a response, so much easier to claim a poster knows nothing about the law than to address the points.

By the way, here is a form motion used by SDNY.

http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/forms/a...phv_motion.pdf

I direct everyone’s attention to the part of the sample motion about no pending disciplinary proceedings. And now we all know something else correct about the practice of law.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #100
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 37,893
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Avenatti is claiming that in so doing what they did was illegal, despite the fact there is no basis for that conclusion.

The actual evidence of wrongdoing is the fact that Avenatti is under investigation by the Treasury department (well that and the whole tax fraud thing.)

Hopefully Mueller and Wood can rope this clown in.
Getting your news from logger, now? Please show the class where Avenatti is under Treasury Dept. investigation.

Wait....! Let me cue up "Mr. Bojangles" so we can all enjoy the tap dance.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 9th May 2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: I had erroneously quoted a second, unrelated post.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:33 PM   #101
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh well, was not really expected a response, so much easier to claim a poster knows nothing about the law than to address the points.

By the way, here is a form motion used by SDNY.

http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/forms/a...phv_motion.pdf

I direct everyone’s attention to the part of the sample motion about no pending disciplinary proceedings. And now we all know something else correct about the practice of law.
Are there ANY pending disciplinary proceedings against Michael Avenatti? No, would be the correct answer.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:45 PM   #102
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,824
There will be hell to pay if Michael Cohen was taking this money without Trump's knowledge. Cohen was essentially stealing from Trump. Trump's the main victim, but the media will spin it another way.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:50 PM   #103
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post


We know all of those things

here is yet another link to the article about Thirsty's latest three ring circus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.4af43931e391

Basic info here.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Getting your news from logger, now? Please show the class where Avenatti is under Treasury Dept. investigation.

Wait....! Let me cue up "Mr. Bojangles" so we can all enjoy the tap dance.
From wapo. Enjoy the music while you read up on the article I have linked several times in this thread.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:52 PM   #104
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,389
Foolmewunz it’s in this one too.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/09/av...-cohen-israel/

Do try and keep up please!

Last edited by logger; 9th May 2018 at 07:54 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:52 PM   #105
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,277
So why did Trump pay to hide still images and/or text messages pertaining to an affair that (he claims) never occurred?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:52 PM   #106
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
There will be hell to pay if Michael Cohen was taking this money without Trump's knowledge. Cohen was essentially stealing from Trump. Trump's the main victim, but the media will spin it another way.
Calling the Trumpster a victim is absurd. Are you suggesting that Novartis, the Russian oligarch, AT&T, and the South Korean aerospace company were paying Trump, not Cohen?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume

Last edited by acbytesla; 9th May 2018 at 07:54 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:10 PM   #107
Lurch
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 378
The Trump defenders here provide a most useful service. They keep front and center for our awareness (and delectation) the gyrations, deflections and cognitive dissonance that tribe is prone to in their unwillingness to face reality. This serves to remind to not lose sight of the forces at work striving to undermine the rule of law in service of the maintenance of their crooked Liar in Chief.

And the 'contrarian' viewpoint does keep things interesting--a plus.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:12 PM   #108
Lurch
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Calling the Trumpster a victim is absurd. Are you suggesting that Novartis, the Russian oligarch, AT&T, and the South Korean aerospace company were paying Trump, not Cohen?
Cain is being a Cainy Cain in his Caining, Cainingly Caniness.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:13 PM   #109
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,824
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Calling the Trumpster a victim is absurd. Are you suggesting that Novartis, the Russian oligarch, AT&T, and the South Korean aerospace company were paying Trump, not Cohen?
Of course they should have been paying Mr. Trump. He's the President. Instead Cohen couldn't help but be a sneaky Jew who sold out his main client/benefactor. But this assumes the reports are true when it could just be a frame-job from Mueller/The Deep State.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:17 PM   #110
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,277
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
sneaky Jew
I enjoy satire and parody as much as the next guy, but this really isn't necessary.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:19 PM   #111
Loss Leader
Do you want to date my Avatar?
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,141
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh well, was not really expected a response, so much easier to claim a poster knows nothing about the law than to address the points.

By the way, here is a form motion used by SDNY.

http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/forms/a...phv_motion.pdf

I direct everyone’s attention to the part of the sample motion about no pending disciplinary proceedings. And now we all know something else correct about the practice of law.


Okay, let me just try this:

This is the form motion you referenced. It states:

Originally Posted by SDNY Form
I am in good standing of the bar(s) of the state(s) of _____ and there are no pending disciplinary proceedings against me in any state or federal court

This is the ethics complaint form you cited. It is titled "The State Bar of California" and instructs that the complainant send it to the Office of the Chief Trial Counsel of the State Bar of California.

The state bar is not a disciplinary proceeding in state or federal court. It's entirely internal to the Bar Association. Furthermore, simply having a complaint lodged against him or her does not put an attorney out of good standing.

One of either two things needs to occur: 1) the Bar Association, after investigation and a hearing, declares the member not to be in good standing; or 2) the censure action is brought in an actual real court (usually the attorney sues the bar after receiving discipline).

You are wrong.

I say this not just as a lawyer. I say this not just as a matrimonial attorney (who have high ethics complaint rates compared to other practitioners). I say this not just as a matrimonial attorney who has had former clients file ethics complaints (none of which were actioned). I say this not just as an attorney who has applied to practice pro hac vice in federal court. I say this not just as an attorney who has applied for such status in the Southern District of New York. I say it as an attorney who was admitted pro hac vice by the SDNY while I had an ethics complaint open against me with the state bar.

There is nothing involved in this process that you have in any way gotten right. it would have been closer to the truth if you'd let a cat walk across your keyboard and just posted that.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 9th May 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:23 PM   #112
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I enjoy satire and parody as much as the next guy, but this really isn't necessary.
I take your point, but I suspect this is aimed directly at selected posters in this thread who have shown a predilection toward racism.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:24 PM   #113
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The Trump defenders here provide a most useful service. They keep front and center for our awareness (and delectation) the gyrations, deflections and cognitive dissonance that tribe is prone to in their unwillingness to face reality. This serves to remind to not lose sight of the forces at work striving to undermine the rule of law in service of the maintenance of their crooked Liar in Chief.

And the 'contrarian' viewpoint does keep things interesting--a plus.
I'm amazed with the cognitive dissonance across the board on so many issues JFK assassination, 911, evolution, flat earth, religion, but I am stunned by the depth and pervasiveness with Trump. Never in my life have I experienced so obvious a liar, cheat and con-man. And never have I seen so many people in denial.

It's not like Trump is a slick, polished or persuasive. He's nonsensical, inarticulate, amazingly self-centered. Basically a moron in a suit and tie.

??????? How is this possible?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:28 PM   #114
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm amazed with the cognitive dissonance across the board on so many issues JFK assassination, 911, evolution, flat earth, religion, but I am stunned by the depth and pervasiveness with Trump. Never in my life have I experienced so obvious a liar, cheat and con-man. And never have I seen so many people in denial.

It's not like Trump is a slick, polished or persuasive. He's nonsensical, inarticulate, amazingly self-centered. Basically a moron in a suit and tie.

??????? How is this possible?
Lots more morons in your country than you had previously imagined?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:29 PM   #115
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Of course they should have been paying Mr. Trump. He's the President. Instead Cohen couldn't help but be a sneaky Jew who sold out his main client/benefactor. But this assumes the reports are true when it could just be a frame-job from Mueller/The Deep State.
You know what happens when you steal from the boss? You get whacked.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:43 PM   #116
portlandatheist
Master Poster
 
portlandatheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,781
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
There will be hell to pay if Michael Cohen was taking this money without Trump's knowledge. Cohen was essentially stealing from Trump. Trump's the main victim, but the media will spin it another way.
I love your posts.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:44 PM   #117
portlandatheist
Master Poster
 
portlandatheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,781
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Calling the Trumpster a victim is absurd. Are you suggesting that Novartis, the Russian oligarch, AT&T, and the South Korean aerospace company were paying Trump, not Cohen?
You've been cained, this is a POE
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:45 PM   #118
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,722
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Somebody fill me in. Who the hell is Thirsty?
...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 886065E2-433E-4AB8-A931-531124DB2521.jpg (47.1 KB, 8 views)
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:52 PM   #119
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
You've been cained, this is a POE
I know.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:53 PM   #120
logger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,389
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm amazed with the cognitive dissonance across the board on so many issues JFK assassination, 911, evolution, flat earth, religion, but I am stunned by the depth and pervasiveness with Trump. Never in my life have I experienced so obvious a liar, cheat and con-man. And never have I seen so many people in denial.

It's not like Trump is a slick, polished or persuasive. He's nonsensical, inarticulate, amazingly self-centered. Basically a moron in a suit and tie.

??????? How is this possible?
The only thing amazing is how your side still can’t figure how and why it’s been defeated so badly.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.