ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 11th May 2018, 08:05 AM   #241
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,025
Legal orders are far from my area of expertise, but it strikes me immediately that the 'new' filing linked to above is from a month ago. I wouldn't be amazed if things had moved along significantly since then.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:07 AM   #242
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Legal orders are far from my area of expertise, but it strikes me immediately that the 'new' filing linked to above is from a month ago. I wouldn't be amazed if things had moved along significantly since then.
It was entered this morning May 11, 2018.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:11 AM   #243
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It was entered this morning May 11, 2018.
Ah, my bad, I was looking at the date at the top, not the bottom.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:33 AM   #244
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Say, remember a few days ago a poster made reference to Avenatti's reckless conduct?

Well a letter motion has just been filed in the case pending before Judge Kimba Wood asking for a protective order due to the confidentiality concerns of two victims of the disgraced NY AG. What are those concerns based on? The "reckless behavior of Mr. Avenatti."

Please enjoy the motion linked within and let your friends know that you knew about his reckless behavior days ago...

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/994960645509533698
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:45 AM   #245
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 66,859
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
It's likely that Trump was talking about either the original payment to Daniels or whatever private arbitration they tried to go through. In the actual filed case, ,Clifford v. Trump, et al.,, Cohen doesn't seem to appear as Trump's lawyer. His LLC is a named party and that LLC has appeared by a different attorney altogether.

Once again - with Trump as with Giuliani's statements - timelines have been kept vague. I believe it's being done purposefully to confuse the issues. But Essential Consulting's financial records (now in the hands of the FBI and at least in part in the hands of Daniels' lawyer) will eventually provide an inarguable timeline.
Cohen signed the original NDA. There's a line for Trump that went unsigned.

There was nothing vague about it until Trump got into his denial twisties.
__________________
"Why do people say 'grow some balls'? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding!" — Betty White
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:48 AM   #246
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,973
Before anyone gets too excited, it really is possible that it is merely a coincidence that the senior executive VP at AT&T who apparently signed the contract with Cohen retired this week.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...as-big-mistake
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:48 AM   #247
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Cohen signed the original NDA. There's a line for Trump that went unsigned.

There was nothing vague about it until Trump got into his denial twisties.
I concur, I thought it was clear that trump was talking about the NDA
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:52 AM   #248
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Before anyone gets too excited, it really is possible that it is merely a coincidence that the senior executive VP at AT&T who apparently signed the contract with Cohen retired this week.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...as-big-mistake
Nope, no coincidence at all, Crains was reporting this am that he was forced out as a direct result of the agreement.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:08 AM   #249
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,438
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/...67698739286017

Quote:
Let this serve as formal notice - there is significantly more evidence and facts to come relating to Mr. Cohen's dealings and Mr. Trump's knowledge and involvement. You can come clean now or wait to be outed. Your choice. We have only just begun...#Basta
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:24 AM   #250
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I laughed!

"Let this serve as formal notice" says a guy posting on twitter! Oh man, what a *********** clown this guy is.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:26 AM   #251
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,042
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I laughed!

"Let this serve as formal notice" says a guy posting on twitter! Oh man, what a *********** clown this guy is.
Yes, I'm sure he and Stormy are laughing all the way to bank.

They'll probably laugh harder when Cohen is disbarred and takes a plea deal.

Funny Stuff !!
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:31 AM   #252
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,757
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I laughed!

"Let this serve as formal notice" says a guy posting on twitter! Oh man, what a *********** clown this guy is.
Considering that vast amount of trouble that Cohen is in, then I seriously doubt that he will give your opinion any import.
__________________
08 JAN 2018 > Trump says that he is "Like, Really Smart" and that he is "a Very Stable Genius".
11 JAN 2018 > During an Oval Office meeting, Trump asks "“Why are we having all these people from ****hole countries come here?”"

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:35 AM   #253
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Mueller's team must be livid that people are leaking confidential records to this grandstanding jackass.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:43 AM   #254
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 4,288
I'm so glad Stormy Daniels happened. This is...this is just the best. Watching Trump supporters come out of their shoes to defend Trump is amazing. Pathetic, but amazing.

Labeling a lawyer as grandstanding, when Trump grandstands about eating *********** breakfast is so funny I'm literally crying. In fact, this has been the only thing that orange ******* hasn't grandstanded about. The fact that Trump not being able to keep his dick in his pants is going to be his downfall is just awesome. I love this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:50 AM   #255
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,635
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Mueller's team must be livid that people are leaking confidential records to this grandstanding jackass.
Maybe.

Or they could be Ambivalent, since Mueller and his team seem to be approaching the investigation in a professional attitude and is unlikely to be distracted by outside media attention that the leaks would cause.

Or they could be quite happy about the leaks, since they think it may apply political pressure to prevent the investigation from ending early. (Harder to justify ending an investigation for being a "witch hunt" when people are seeing the existence of real, live witches.)
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:53 AM   #256
portlandatheist
Master Poster
 
portlandatheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,782
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm so glad Stormy Daniels happened. This is...this is just the best. Watching Trump supporters come out of their shoes to defend Trump is amazing. Pathetic, but amazing.

Labeling a lawyer as grandstanding, when Trump grandstands about eating *********** breakfast is so funny I'm literally crying. In fact, this has been the only thing that orange ******* hasn't grandstanded about. The fact that Trump not being able to keep his dick in his pants is going to be his downfall is just awesome. I love this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It's like watching a movie. The way two subplots, the porn star coverup and the Russia scandal, becoming intertwined is pure brilliance. Top that off with the Evangelicals supporting the most morally bankrupt president imaginable and we really have a winner. Pass the popcorn.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:58 AM   #257
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,042
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Mueller's team must be livid that people are leaking confidential records to this grandstanding jackass.
Is this TBD admitting these bank records are an important part of the 'fake rusher investigation' witch hunt ??????

Can't see why else he would think Mueller's team would be livid. Because Mueller's team passed off the cohen investigation to SDNY.



LMAO plague311 is right. But really, in this thread there has really only been that one "bernie sanders supporter" who seems to be doing an awful lot of water carrying for Trump.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 11th May 2018 at 10:59 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:00 AM   #258
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe.

Or they could be Ambivalent, since Mueller and his team seem to be approaching the investigation in a professional attitude and is unlikely to be distracted by outside media attention that the leaks would cause.

Or they could be quite happy about the leaks, since they think it may apply political pressure to prevent the investigation from ending early. (Harder to justify ending an investigation for being a "witch hunt" when people are seeing the existence of real, live witches.)
I am certain that the Mueller team is very concerned by the leaks, because I am certain that we are going to start hearing about tainting the potential jury pool, and leaks of any sort are an anathema to the an orderly investigation. There are already calls to shut Mueller down and now we have a gibbering jackass who is so over the top and so unconcerned with things like not exposing the financial records of innocent people and actually filing motions that his antics could upset the whole apple cart.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:02 AM   #259
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,619
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe.

Or they could be Ambivalent, since Mueller and his team seem to be approaching the investigation in a professional attitude and is unlikely to be distracted by outside media attention that the leaks would cause.

Or they could be quite happy about the leaks, since they think it may apply political pressure to prevent the investigation from ending early. (Harder to justify ending an investigation for being a "witch hunt" when people are seeing the existence of real, live witches.)
Yeah, that couldn't possibly be true.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:03 AM   #260
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Judge Wood orders Gleason to file a memorandum of law in support of his motion for a protective order based on Avenatti's reckless conduct.

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/994999797986877440

And Avenatti has not yet filed his motion for pro hac and thus has no standing to object.

Next level incompetence there, counselor.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:06 AM   #261
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,621
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I am certain that the Mueller team is very concerned by the leaks, because I am certain that we are going to start hearing about tainting the potential jury pool, and leaks of any sort are an anathema to the an orderly investigation. There are already calls to shut Mueller down and now we have a gibbering jackass who is so over the top and so unconcerned with things like not exposing the financial records of innocent people and actually filing motions that his antics could upset the whole apple cart.
The Senate?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:07 AM   #262
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,042
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I am certain that the Mueller team is very concerned by the leaks, because I am certain that we are going to start hearing about tainting the potential jury pool, and leaks of any sort are an anathema to the an orderly investigation. There are already calls to shut Mueller down and now we have a gibbering jackass who is so over the top and so unconcerned with things like not exposing the financial records of innocent people and actually filing motions that his antics could upset the whole apple cart.
Lies. Plain and simple. But expected i guess.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:11 AM   #263
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Senate?
nice!
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:15 AM   #264
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Judge Wood orders Gleason to file a memorandum of law in support of his motion for a protective order based on Avenatti's reckless conduct.

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/994999797986877440

And Avenatti has not yet filed his motion for pro hac and thus has no standing to object.

Next level incompetence there, counselor.
Why would Avenatti object to this? It is merely procedural.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:17 AM   #265
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Why would Avenatti object to this? It is merely procedural.
Has no standing to object to the motion for protective order
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:22 AM   #266
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,621
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
nice!
Thanks. That's where this is ultimately headed.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:23 AM   #267
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Has no standing to object to the motion for protective order
I understand that he has no standing. Why would he bother to object to this procedural order even if he had standing?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:28 AM   #268
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I understand that he has no standing. Why would he bother to object to this procedural order even if he had standing?
Again, I was referring to the motion for entry of protective order to which he has no standing to object.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:30 AM   #269
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 4,288
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I am certain that the Mueller team is very concerned by the leaks, because I am certain that we are going to start hearing about tainting the potential jury pool, and leaks of any sort are an anathema to the an orderly investigation. There are already calls to shut Mueller down and now we have a gibbering jackass who is so over the top and so unconcerned with things like not exposing the financial records of innocent people and actually filing motions that his antics could upset the whole apple cart.
And Avenatti has absolutely nothing to do with the Mueller investigation at all. They haven't supported or condemned him, as far as I know. Is there anything to say the opposite?

The calls to shut Mueller down are by Trump supporting congress critters that are more concerned about licking his boots than the investigation. No one cares what they say, and if Trump fires Mueller I have no doubts **** will hit the fan.

If Mueller was worried, he'd say something. Since he hasn't I'll just chalk this up as nonsense.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:34 AM   #270
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 4,288
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Again, I was referring to the motion for entry of protective order to which he has no standing to object.
Not to speak for Steve, but it appears he understands what you're saying.

I am certainly curious what that means and how it's important? Care explaining it in your lawyerly lingo? If he can't object and it goes through, then what? If he does object and it goes through, then what? If the judge doesn't grant it without an objection, then what? You see where I'm going with this. Remember to show your work!
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:40 AM   #271
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Again, I was referring to the motion for entry of protective order to which he has no standing to object.
But that is not what you linked to.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:42 AM   #272
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
But that is not what you linked to.
No, I linked to the order that gave the lawyer leave to file a memorandum of law in further support of his motion for a protective order, which pending motion Avenatti does not have standing to object to.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #273
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
EXACTLY! Mr. Hit and Run is the unfettered power of the United States Government and the right turn on red people are the ones at the target end of that long spear, and now that Government is leaking information for the sole purpose of swaying potential jurors? Despicable.

"Innocent-until-proven guilty is a conceit of the judicial system." I assume that is one of those Poe things that people were talking about seeing as how we are ONLY talking about the judicial system here? If so, well played.
So much BS. There is no evidence that suggests that the government is leaking information. There are private citizens at financial institutions that have access to the SARs database. There is also no evidence that suggests the leaks have been made to influence a jury.

What is despicable is your nonsense diversion from the obvious corruption.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:45 AM   #274
Steve
Illuminator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,541
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
No, I linked to the order that gave the lawyer leave to file a memorandum of law in further support of his motion for a protective order, which pending motion Avenatti does not have standing to object to.
Yes you did. A procedural order. Now, why would Avenatti care?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:49 AM   #275
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes you did. A procedural order. Now, why would Avenatti care?
Because the motion asks for it because of Avenatti's "reckless" conduct of course. It is not a "procedural order" either. Have you had the chance to read the letter?
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:58 AM   #276
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,824
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
EXACTLY! Mr. Hit and Run is the unfettered power of the United States Government and the right turn on red people are the ones at the target end of that long spear, and now that Government is leaking information for the sole purpose of swaying potential jurors? Despicable.
If that were the analogy, then the Deep State would be acting in a corrupt manner (hit-and-run), and Cohen would be in hot pursuit. It's also a mischaracterization to say that this leak is coming from the "Government." Did the Government leak hundreds of thousands of cables? More precisely, it was Bradley Manning. You might be in the realm of scoring a point if the leak you're kvetching about came from the Special Counsel, but it was noted that hundreds (if not thousands) of people have access to the information in question.

Quote:
"Innocent-until-proven guilty is a conceit of the judicial system." I assume that is one of those Poe things that people were talking about seeing as how we are ONLY talking about the judicial system here? If so, well played.
No, we are not only talking about the judicial system here. Posters are making moral judgements about Cohen based on the publicly available evidence, just as we would do in any other case. I doubt anyone here would be comfortable sending Cohen to prison without a trial.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Here in this thread we are talking about the lack of concern about what is clearly deliberate leaks of financial records of several people named Michael Cohen to a person who has no respect for the laws protecting such information.

/Which is why I have said repeatedly that fallacious appeals to hypocrisy are quite possibly the worst arguments one can possibly make for numerous reasons, because not only are they a logical fallacy, they are a clear attempt to derail the discussion and most importantly demonstrate that the person making the argument is acting hypocritically (here for example our correspondent appears concerned with "Hillary Clinton" but not at all concerned with the actual subject of what appears to law enforcement leaks against several people named Michael Cohen) Really fascinating stuff, imho.
Understatement of the thread: You don't have a good handle on logical fallacies. Then again, the genre of ad hominem fallacies, part of the sprawling genre of fallacies of irrelevance, are not well understood by most messageboard commenters. Calling someone an idiot, for example, is not necessarily fallacious. It could simply be a conclusion based on reading a person's posts. The fallacy is to say someone is wrong because he's an idiot.

Currently you are attempting to fashion yourself as the only person interested in the rule of law, so others are naturally pointing to how you handled accusations against D's rather than R's. Hypocrisy is not about right and wrong but credibility. We have every reason to believe you're not arguing in good faith, and indeed you're probably the least morally serious participant here. Your views seem colored more by tribal membership than the rule of law. Donald Rumsfeld was quick to condemn Saddam Hussein for violating the Geneva Convention by putting captured soldiers on television. Do we honestly believe Rumsfeld cares about the Geneva Convention?
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:07 PM   #277
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16,758
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Mueller's team must be livid that people are leaking confidential records to this grandstanding jackass.
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe.

Or they could be Ambivalent, since Mueller and his team seem to be approaching the investigation in a professional attitude and is unlikely to be distracted by outside media attention that the leaks would cause.

Or they could be quite happy about the leaks, since they think it may apply political pressure to prevent the investigation from ending early. (Harder to justify ending an investigation for being a "witch hunt" when people are seeing the existence of real, live witches.)
Exactly. If anything, I bet they are loving it. The evidence that Avenatti provided to the press shows very suspicious if not incriminating evidence. It certainly makes it look as if there are real crimes to be investigated. What is totally hilarious is this absurd outrage by the big dog about the leak. It's as if he doesn't want to discuss Trump and his sleazy lawyer.

So far, we see more and more evidence that Trump was screwing every woman he could and probably impregnating a woman that was not his wife. That Cohen was running around paying off these women for their silence and arranging at least one abortion. We see that Michael Cohen was being paid huge sums of money for absolutely nothing.

And TBD thinks the real problem is the leaks. ROTFLMAO.:
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:09 PM   #278
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Understatement of the thread: You don't have a good handle on logical fallacies. Then again, the genre of ad hominem fallacies, part of the sprawling genre of fallacies of irrelevance, are not well understood by most messageboard commenters. Calling someone an idiot, for example, is not necessarily fallacious. It could simply be a conclusion based on reading a person's posts. The fallacy is to say someone is wrong because he's an idiot.

Currently you are attempting to fashion yourself as the only person interested in the rule of law, so others are naturally pointing to how you handled accusations against D's rather than R's. Hypocrisy is not about right and wrong but credibility.
The appeal to hypocrisy fallacy is known as a tu quoque fallacy. Its form is "I'm sure that if I checked your rich posting history, you refrained from commenting on Hillary Clinton's guilt/innocence even though she wasn't indicted, let alone tried" which is an ad hominem fallacy because my posts about Clinton do not falsify my comprehensive statements about the developments here in any way, and in fact are a fairly blatant attempt to derail the discussion.

The highlighted sentence is a straw man.

While I enjoy teaching about logical arguments, you'll forgive me if I continue to focus on the substantive developments from here on in. Thanks for posting, tho.
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:23 PM   #279
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,317
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The appeal to hypocrisy fallacy is known as a tu quoque fallacy. Its form is "I'm sure that if I checked your rich posting history, you refrained from commenting on Hillary Clinton's guilt/innocence even though she wasn't indicted, let alone tried" which is an ad hominem fallacy because my posts about Clinton do not falsify my comprehensive statements about the developments here in any way, and in fact are a fairly blatant attempt to derail the discussion.

The highlighted sentence is a straw man.

While I enjoy teaching about logical arguments, you'll forgive me if I continue to focus on the substantive developments from here on in. Thanks for posting, tho.
It's only a fallacy if someone uses it in support of their argument. Simply saying "I see hypocrisy" is neither a tu quoque fallacy or an ad hominem, simply an observance of behavior.

Please don't lecture others on logical fallacies. You simply lack the ammunition.

ETA: You're right about the straw man, but again, he wasn't using it to support his own argument, it was simply what he gleaned from your posts, and made an assessment.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 11th May 2018 at 12:27 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 12:26 PM   #280
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,749
Looks like Avenatti is using NDA's as part of his settlements arising out of his coffee company fiasco!

https://twitter.com/coffeemaverick/s...52766806073344

Fantastic. Got a good chuckle out of that!
__________________
"Created by the Legislature in 1927, the State Bar is an arm of the California Supreme Court, protecting the public by licensing and regulating attorneys."

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.