ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th May 2018, 02:56 PM   #121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, a private company wants to make money off of a patent it owns. How Shocking.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 03:09 PM   #122
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I couldn’t care less
And the beauty of your statement is that he lies to everyone, including you, each and every day.
Old 11th May 2018, 03:27 PM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I got a sick feeling that we all are giving logger exactly what he wants.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 03:42 PM   #124
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
"You think our country's so innocent?"
There is no reason for me to explain the difference since you cannot see already.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 03:49 PM   #125
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I did. Donnie sure seems anxious to be buddy buddy with the leader of a country you called "corrupt".
Of course that is ridiculous, it isn’t based in fact, it’s based on this strange hatred towards this president.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 04:40 PM   #126
Cabbage
Critical Thinker

There is no reason for me to explain the difference since you cannot see already.
LOL. It is you who is failing to see.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:06 PM   #127
Stacko
Philosopher

Giuliani just went ahead and said that Trump was involved in DOJ decision on proposed AT&T Time Warner merger: “The president denied the merger. They didn’t get the result they wanted.”
Guess Trump hasn't been as hands off with the DoJ as he claimed.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:26 PM   #128
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Lol, really?

If he approved the merger, I can guess what you would be saying.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:27 PM   #129
logger
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. It is you who is failing to see.
I see clearly what this country is and isn’t. Of course we’ve seen for decades what the left thinks of our great country.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:25 PM   #130
Lurch
Critical Thinker

I see clearly what this country is and isn’t. Of course we’ve seen for decades what the left thinks of our great country.
The US's greatness in the international sphere derived first from her providing a haven for oppressed peoples, as expressed so well by the Statue of Liberty. Second, by righteousness in advocating the rule of law. Third, by industriousness in creating an arsenal to help beat back the worst offenders, and fourth, shaping a period of global stability to be much thankful for. I omit other aspects for brevity.

We cannot slap on the blinders and insist that it shall ever be so. Indications of a worrisome trend are well evident. Trump is attempting to sour the nation on admitting people of color, violating the admirable words of Lady Liberty. Trump is gaslighting the nation into questioning the very foundation of legality. Trump is indicating a willingness to threaten use of the mighty arsenal at his disposal recklessly and in fits of pique. And his rash actions regarding trade policy and international agreements can hardly inspire confidence of stability.

The seductively appealing words of a populist, whose needs for adulation are a dangerous mix with his own amorality, must be seen for what they are; a tool for his own aggrandizement. It's all about him, with no consideration for you. The credulous fellow travelers that make up Trump's immoveable base remind me all too well of the adoring crowds that lined the roadways in films of another notorious Leader in his early days of power, before his mania brought about ruin on a colossal scale.

One must ever have an eye to history, so as to keep things in perspective. Too many of Trump's base are blindly ignorant of history, a subject which has much to teach in matters even as fundamental as human nature. At times it can come down pretty much to just one individual to monumentally shape the course of history for many. And with a coterie of deluded believers avidly, slavishly accepting all their prophet propounds, an amoral populist can all the more readily have his malign intentions realized.

The US's continued greatness, in the short term, will come down to resisting these stirrings of Fascism. Most, if not all of Trump's supporters would be offended to be told that they embody at least Fascistic tendencies, not being willing to consider that they are very like those Italian and German citizens who joyfully witnessed the rise of their respective Leaders.

Perhaps the US *needs* to suffer this convulsion in order to realize that democracy is *not* a given, that it must be fought for, with untiring vigilance against those forces which would threaten it. Complacency is the handmaiden to idle hands, which we know is the playground of the Devil. Even a complacent acceptance of Trumpism, let alone fervent support, is dangerous.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:37 PM   #131
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The US's greatness in the international sphere derived first from her providing a haven for oppressed peoples, as expressed so well by the Statue of Liberty. Second, by righteousness in advocating the rule of law. Third, by industriousness in creating an arsenal to help beat back the worst offenders, and fourth, shaping a period of global stability to be much thankful for. I omit other aspects for brevity.

We cannot slap on the blinders and insist that it shall ever be so. Indications of a worrisome trend are well evident. Trump is attempting to sour the nation on admitting people of color, violating the admirable words of Lady Liberty. Trump is gaslighting the nation into questioning the very foundation of legality. Trump is indicating a willingness to threaten use of the mighty arsenal at his disposal recklessly and in fits of pique. And his rash actions regarding trade policy and international agreements can hardly inspire confidence of stability.

The seductively appealing words of a populist, whose needs for adulation are a dangerous mix with his own amorality, must be seen for what they are; a tool for his own aggrandizement. It's all about him, with no consideration for you. The credulous fellow travelers that make up Trump's immoveable base remind me all too well of the adoring crowds that lined the roadways in films of another notorious Leader in his early days of power, before his mania brought about ruin on a colossal scale.

One must ever have an eye to history, so as to keep things in perspective. Too many of Trump's base are blindly ignorant of history, a subject which has much to teach in matters even as fundamental as human nature. At times it can come down pretty much to just one individual to monumentally shape the course of history for many. And with a coterie of deluded believers avidly, slavishly accepting all their prophet propounds, an amoral populist can all the more readily have his malign intentions realized.

The US's continued greatness, in the short term, will come down to resisting these stirrings of Fascism. Most, if not all of Trump's supporters would be offended to be told that they embody at least Fascistic tendencies, not being willing to consider that they are very like those Italian and German citizens who joyfully witnessed the rise of their respective Leaders.

Perhaps the US *needs* to suffer this convulsion in order to realize that democracy is *not* a given, that it must be fought for, with untiring vigilance against those forces which would threaten it. Complacency is the handmaiden to idle hands, which we know is the playground of the Devil. Even a complacent acceptance of Trumpism, let alone fervent support, is dangerous.
Sadly, not a bit of critical thinking here, just more liberal platitudes.

The United States of America is incapable of producing a dictator. It is not even worth entertaining this ridiculous notion.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:58 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
... Perhaps the US *needs* to suffer this convulsion in order to realize that democracy is *not* a given, that it must be fought for, with untiring vigilance against those forces which would threaten it. Complacency is the handmaiden to idle hands, which we know is the playground of the Devil. Even a complacent acceptance of Trumpism, let alone fervent support, is dangerous.
Gawd I hope people figure this out. Because there is a very big cesspool out there we'll be sinking into if we don't.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:12 PM   #133
Cabbage
Critical Thinker

What you are failing to see is that I was quoting that famous liberal, Donald Trump. LMFAO
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:15 PM   #134
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Gawd I hope people figure this out. Because there is a very big cesspool out there we'll be sinking into if we don't.
Gawd? Lol

I find it fascinating that the left thinks they are the guaranteers of democracy. The “right” isn’t taking my freedoms, it is always the left. The right isn’t demanding safe spaces, it’s the left, so they don’t have to hear free speech. The right isn’t raising my taxes, putting more burdens on my business, it is always, always, always the ******* disgusting left.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:20 PM   #135
logger
Penultimate Amazing

What you are failing to see is that I was quoting that famous liberal, Donald Trump. LMFAO
He was a democrat.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:43 PM   #136
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Gawd? Lol

I find it fascinating that the left thinks they are the guaranteers of democracy. The “right” isn’t taking my freedoms, it is always the left. The right isn’t demanding safe spaces, it’s the left, so they don’t have to hear free speech. The right isn’t raising my taxes, putting more burdens on my business, it is always, always, always the ******* disgusting left.
You “find it fascinating“ that you’ve made up a little cartoon not much tethered to reality?

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 11th May 2018 at 09:47 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:49 PM   #137
Cabbage
Critical Thinker

He was a democrat.
Not at the time of the quote. LOL
Old 12th May 2018, 01:06 AM   #138
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Trump didn't know about the payments to Cohen. Also, he didn't know about the payments to Stormy.
Old 12th May 2018, 02:06 AM   #139
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The “right” isn’t taking my freedoms, it is always the left.
“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” - Donald J Trump.

Quote:
The right isn’t demanding safe spaces, it’s the left, so they don’t have to hear free speech.
Trump ran away from the White House Correspondents Dinner because they were going to say mean things about him. After the Roast, the right whined about how people had been Roasted by a big meanie.

Quote:
The right isn’t raising my taxes, putting more burdens on my business, it is always, always, always the ******* disgusting left.
Ah yes, praise for borrowing $1.5t to give tax cuts to the richest, while increasing other costs like healthcare premiums (by up to 57% in some states), which disproportionately affect those with lower incomes.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 12th May 2018 at 02:07 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 03:53 AM   #140
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The two are surely related.
I don't think so. I suspect most of his money related fraud and laundering occurred before he decided to run for president and thus totally unrelated to any Russian collusion.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 04:13 AM   #141
SezMe
post-pre-born

It is hilarious that you think these countries would drop the United States for the stupid decision to trade with China.
International trade relations are not like on/off switches. It's not a question of dropping the USA as it is one of shifting focus. Do try get out of your black-and-white approach to politics. There's a whole lot more than binary liberal/conservative and isolation/free trade involved in such issues.

The reason this decision isn’t so easy for these countries is because China, Russia, Iran, and many others are corrupt. It’s going to be very difficult for these countries to just ignore what we want. Trump knows this and unlike the sissy wimp democrats, he will use it to our advantage.
That's illogical. If a country is corrupt (there you go with the on/off thinking) then the monolithically government can make such decisions easier and can just ignore us.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 04:17 AM   #142
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Trump, OTOH, is the only politician I have ever seen tell three conflicting lies in the same day, and habitually tell lies that can be refuted with about two minutes of checking. He is not only a habitual liar, he is spectacularly bad at it.
The WaPo fact checking crowd now has him up to over 9 lies per day. When he was first inaugurated he was clocking in at a little over 3 per day.
Old 12th May 2018, 04:34 AM   #143
SezMe
post-pre-born

I shouldn't have to say this but it is evident that it is necessary. When someone opines here they do not represent "the left". Would it be correct for people to believe that you speak for the right - that everyone on the far right believes exactly as you do?
Old 12th May 2018, 04:41 AM   #144
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump didn't know about the payments to Cohen. Also, he didn't know about the payments to Stormy.
How do you know either of those assertions?
Old 12th May 2018, 08:27 AM   #145
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

As it is illegal for a federally elected official to solicit 7-figure donations, in a meeting during which Sheldon Adelson pledged $30m to the Republican party, Paul Ryan ensured he left the room before the donation was asked for
Old 12th May 2018, 08:49 AM   #146
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Cohen was being paid millions for offering the possibility of getting access to the president. Not for acruallu getting access to the president, but the possibility of access

If that's not the swamp of washington dc, I don't know what is
It would be interesting to see where the money went after it hit Cohen's shell company. I'd also like to know if AT&T cut ties before or after their Time Warner merger fell through.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 08:53 AM   #147
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
...until his story changes.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 09:00 AM   #148
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
At this point, I have more respect for the dross I pull out of the shower drain than for Ryan.
Old 12th May 2018, 09:05 AM   #149
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At this point, I have more respect for the dross I pull out of the shower drain than for Ryan.
I suppose you don’t respect the same liberal billionaires who give to the dems.

Of course this is a wonderful gift to the GOP, it will create a red wave.
Old 12th May 2018, 09:06 AM   #150
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I don't think so. I suspect most of his money related fraud and laundering occurred before he decided to run for president and thus totally unrelated to any Russian collusion.
Maybe you missed some of the news like Kushner going to the Saudi Prince with classified intel to trade for a bailout of his NY property?

Did you miss the meeting at Trump Tower to get sanctions overturned? The change in the GOP platform about the Ukraine? Backing out of Syria (with the exception of a few actions to look like we're still fighting) giving the Russians a free hand? Money flowing into Mar-a-Lago from foreign governments? The leak of classified intel to the Russian ambassador and foreign minister by Trump just after the election? The money that flowed to Trump via the inaugural fund? Money that flowed to the RNC via Russian donations? Both Cohen's and Manafort's direct connections to the Ukraine?

This administration is awash in criminal enterprising. We don't yet know the extent of it but it looks like Mueller does.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th May 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 11:28 AM   #151
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wow, a private company wants to make money off of a patent it owns. How Shocking.
The concerning thing is that the prices of a lot of drugs that are out of patent have gone up substantially. Generics (out of patent) drugs should be associated with a fall in price. Pyrimethamine (daraprim) is the exemplar, the patent holder (NB it was discovered by a UK company), produced it for about a dollar a dose, the price did not really fall when it came out of patent. The US rights to manufacture were bought by a US company, the price in the US then was increased a thousand fold, the original patent holder continued to produce and sell in Europe for dollars. This shows the issue is not solely related to research, it is not related to manufacturing costs. It is related to the balance of ethics and profit motive. Famously Elli Lilly refused to patent streptomycin the first anti-TB drug because it was too important.

It may well be costs and risks are considerably higher in the US, litigation results in much higher pay outs in the US than elsewhere, companies appear to have to 'donate' much larger amounts of money to politicians in the US than they would be allowed to in Europe. Advertising is more restricted in Europe. There may well be other structural reasons for higher drug costs in the US.

Costs of research are higher because the US requires drug trials to be carried out in the US, more costly than if carried out elsewhere.

It is an easy and xenophobic response to claim that the US is subsidising drugs elsewhere, but objectively that is not true.

Am J Public Health. 2010 June; 100(6): 1075–1080.
doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.178491
US Pharmaceutical Innovation in an International Context

Quote:
Objectives. We explored whether the United States, which does not regulate pharmaceutical prices, is responsible for the development of a disproportionate share of the new molecular entities (NMEs; a drug that does not contain an active moiety previously approved by the Food and Drug Administration) produced worldwide.

Methods. We collected data on NMEs approved between 1992 and 2004 and assigned each NME to an inventor country. We examined the relation between the proportion of total NMEs developed in each country and the proportion of total prescription drug spending and gross domestic product (GDP) of each country represented.

Results. The United States accounted for 42% of prescription drug spending and 40% of the total GDP among innovator countries and was responsible for the development of 43.7% of the NMEs. The United Kingdom, Switzerland, and a few other countries innovated proportionally more than their contribution to GDP or prescription drug spending, whereas Japan, South Korea, and a few other countries innovated less.

Conclusions. Higher prescription drug spending in the United States does not disproportionately privilege domestic innovation, and many countries with drug price regulation were significant contributors to pharmaceutical innovation.
Also see
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021...185?src=recsys

Last edited by Planigale; 12th May 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 11:31 AM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

On the day the WHO announces a new Ebola outbreak Trump called to rescind rescind $252 million that had been set aside specifically for the purpose of dealing with Ebola outbreaks referring to it as “irresponsible federal spending,”

Timothy Ziemer, the top White House official in charge of coordinating the national response to deadly pandemics, abruptly left the administration, the global health security team that Ziemer oversaw was disbanded upon his exit.

https://shareblue.com/trump-white-ho...security-team/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 11:34 AM   #153
Planigale
Master Poster

Sadly, not a bit of critical thinking here, just more liberal platitudes.

The United States of America is incapable of producing a dictator. It is not even worth entertaining this ridiculous notion.
Actually I think the US has produced multiple dictators, just none of them of the US.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #154
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

CNN headlines reads that Trump saved $1 billion in the Embassy move.

He could have saved more by not moving it.

Wife to husband. "I know we do not need them but they were on sale so I saved us a whole lot of money."

ETA: And not counting the cost of any possible destruction of a peace deal.
Old 12th May 2018, 11:44 AM   #155
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
On the day the WHO announces a new Ebola outbreak Trump called to rescind rescind $252 million that had been set aside specifically for the purpose of dealing with Ebola outbreaks referring to it as “irresponsible federal spending,”
Of course it is. That money could have been given to American CEOs.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:47 PM   #156
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Actually, numerous studies have shown Wikipedia to be a mostly accurate source of information, particularly for matters of fact rather than hearsay. If your worry is truly that of recent edits, then you can check easily by going to the edit history and seeing who edited what, when, and for what reason. Almost all major edits will have an entry on the relevant discussion page, too.

Not to mention that the footnoting provided is a resource in itself. One which easily makes up for the immediacy of any wiki article edits, since you can go to the sources they used and draw your own conclusions.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 12:49 PM   #157
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sure, why wouldn’t two corrupt countries continue to trade.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
France has given notice that they are going to continue to trade with Iran.

Make that three corrupt countries.

I don't expect them to be the last.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 12:50 PM   #158
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
<snip>

When Trump is finally out of the playpen, it will be open season on him and that's gonna chafe like crazy. Watching while what he likes to believe are his personal achievements are being dismantled in much the same way as he's gone about his vindictive presidency, will make his blood boil and we can look forward to hearing his twitter tantrums for a while after he goes. He's certainly not going to display the decorum that past US leaders have post-presidency. Shame.

Only if they put him somewhere with enough privileges to use his Twitter account.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:54 PM   #159
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

If his money related fraud and laundering are being used by the Russians to ensure his compliance then they are definitely related.

Not to mention the possible existence of any potentially embarrassing videos.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:56 PM   #160
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I shouldn't have to say this but it is evident that it is necessary. When someone opines here they do not represent "the left". Would it be correct for people to believe that you speak for the right - that everyone on the far right believes exactly as you do?

When that "far right" consists of everyone so far to the right that they have fallen right off the edge of reality, then yeah ... it's probably correct.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics