ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 8th December 2018, 06:48 PM   #2121
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
That, Google Maps™, works just, fine, thank, you very, much.
Hey, that's a great point.

I prefer google earth for my own ends, although here in Alaska there isn't enough coverage to do what I can do on my own.

But in the Philippines, and in the lower '48 it is just stunning what it can do. The distance calculator, for example, puts the lie to claims made with regularity about how remote their little "Area X's" are.

I apparently left the site marked on my own google earth. The first thing that stands out to me is the logging rotation. Not one inch of ground untouched, but its like mowing the grass in sections. I can see at least five distinct ages of clear-cut patterns, probably more. But you are not a cable-length from a log yarder anywhere in the entire region.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 02:40 PM   #2122
DennyT
Illuminator

Patterson involved himself in several track finds before 1967 (Walla Walla, Erion Ranch, Laird Meadows). They were all variants of his final Bluff Creek 1967 version. I have not looked closely at them but it would be an interesting exercise to see if they correlate with the shape feedback given to him by the camera store operator in Yakima (documented in The Making of Bigfoot.).
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 04:36 PM   #2123
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Patterson involved himself in several track finds before 1967 (Walla Walla, Erion Ranch, Laird Meadows). They were all variants of his final Bluff Creek 1967 version. I have not looked closely at them but it would be an interesting exercise to see if they correlate with the shape feedback given to him by the camera store operator in Yakima (documented in The Making of Bigfoot.).
That's interesting. I thought the conclusion of the interaction with the owner resulted in a pair that indeed did so. Did the camera guy see two versions? I think so.

I loaned my book out, so I can't re-read that section. I got three grand in overdue book fees stacked up so far though, it's going to take over my retirement account in 4.7 years.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:00 AM   #2124
Tontar
Thinker

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
A little-mentioned part of the story: Patty's tracks were of a unique individual never seen in the area before or since the film subject's little stroll.
Patty has narrower, more tightly set toes, because she's a girl and is used to wearing pointy shoes.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:08 AM   #2125
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Could the Bigfoot in the Patterson Gimli film be a human woman suffering from Hypertr

People with that genetic disorder often stay out of sight especially if they are women. Hypertricosis.
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:46 AM   #2126
8enotto
Muse

I'll bite.

A female with a genetic problem chooses to live out in the deep woods near a logging camp, where hunters traipse through the woods half the year armed to the teeth.

Yet she leaves no scat, no evidence of food gathering nor shelter at all.

All that before the weather is figured in.

If she were to die a human skeleton might be found out there eventually, that hasn't been reported either.

Unless she was an actress for a day.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:03 AM   #2127
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Here the sole appears to be square at the heel. It is generally regarded as an illusion.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/062b8a5a.jpg

Here the sole appears to be ovoid. It is generally regarded as an illusion
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/f0cf8956.gif

Here the toes appear to be flexing upwards. It is generally regarded as not being an illusion. I think it needs to be further examined as being another illusion.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...psbfc6880a.jpg
Woman with hypertrichosis?
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:16 AM   #2128
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Woman with hypertrichosis?
Her feet are 14.5" long and she has a conehead, so she has more reasons to hide in the woods than just being hairy.
Old 5th April 2019, 05:47 AM   #2129
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
People with that genetic disorder often stay out of sight especially if they are women. Hypertricosis.
That would be more monumental than it being an actual Bigfoot, tbh. I'm still going for the classic bloke in suit explanation. Though, it is nice to see the PGF story being dug up from its grave, even for a moment.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 09:02 AM   #2130
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

This is confirmation that Pattys a hoax and Meldumbs either an idiot or a fraud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 09:48 AM   #2131
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
This is confirmation that Pattys a hoax and Meldumbs either an idiot or a fraud.
Not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2019, 03:29 PM   #2132
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I posted something like that on Bigfoot Forums several years ago..

They closed the forum and went home..

No! Wait!... They didn't..
Old 11th April 2019, 10:37 AM   #2133
ArchSas
Student

I was actually just thinking about this the other day while talking to a person with no anthropological background. Because it was related to the conversation, I threw out that when the Laetoli footprints were first discovered, there was actually a debate for several years that resulted from the footprints not looking much like the feet of the archaeologists studying them; some were arguing that the hominin feet weren't anatomically modern at the point. That was, until someone did a study of the feet of individuals who have lived their entire lives without shoes - it turns out they looked pretty much the same, because shoes have that big of an impact on how feet develop.

As a physical anthropologist specializing in foot anatomy, I'm sure Meldrum must be familiar with that anecdote I hear in my first Intro to Anthropology course. Which, of course, makes it seem strange that (as far as I know), he's never once addressed the issue of why bigfoot tracks look stunningly like feet used to wearing shoes. In fact, now I'm wondering if more people were aware of that, how many would still even acknowledge tracks as being evidence? People go all in based on dermal ridges and mid-tarsal breaks, what if you were able to shatter that by telling them a foot that's spent its whole life walking on bare ground just doesn't look like that?
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:07 PM   #2134
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Like I said... I informed everyone at Bigfoot Forums of exactly that, several years ago..

I provided very clear photographic evidence..

That may have been the problem, since they only accept blurry images as evidence of anything..
Old 11th April 2019, 03:11 PM   #2135
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
I was actually just thinking about this the other day while talking to a person with no anthropological background. Because it was related to the conversation, I threw out that when the Laetoli footprints were first discovered, there was actually a debate for several years that resulted from the footprints not looking much like the feet of the archaeologists studying them; some were arguing that the hominin feet weren't anatomically modern at the point. That was, until someone did a study of the feet of individuals who have lived their entire lives without shoes - it turns out they looked pretty much the same, because shoes have that big of an impact on how feet develop.

As a physical anthropologist specializing in foot anatomy, I'm sure Meldrum must be familiar with that anecdote I hear in my first Intro to Anthropology course. Which, of course, makes it seem strange that (as far as I know), he's never once addressed the issue of why bigfoot tracks look stunningly like feet used to wearing shoes. In fact, now I'm wondering if more people were aware of that, how many would still even acknowledge tracks as being evidence? People go all in based on dermal ridges and mid-tarsal breaks, what if you were able to shatter that by telling them a foot that's spent its whole life walking on bare ground just doesn't look like that?
Just as with Greg, I've done the samething at BFF (Bigfoot Fantasy w/Friends) it's entertaining to debate with fanatics but can be exhausting, the myriad of belief systems, disingenuous arguments and most likely lying attention seekers, rarely base their argument on logic or facts.

All it really takes is an Internet connection to easily understand why nothing over a couple of pounds has gone undiscovered on the continental U.S. or just spend enough time outdoors. I've experienced the majority of things attributed to Bigfoot and they are all easily explained.....no giant monkey man required.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 07:47 AM   #2136
ArchSas
Student

Just as with Greg, I've done the samething at BFF (Bigfoot Fantasy w/Friends) it's entertaining to debate with fanatics but can be exhausting, the myriad of belief systems, disingenuous arguments and most likely lying attention seekers, rarely base their argument on logic or facts.

All it really takes is an Internet connection to easily understand why nothing over a couple of pounds has gone undiscovered on the continental U.S. or just spend enough time outdoors. I've experienced the majority of things attributed to Bigfoot and they are all easily explained.....no giant monkey man required.
Oh, I'm aware of what it's like over there. Several years ago, I used to be a fairly regular poster. Pretty much every interaction I had over there ended up with people insulting me for pointing out basic anthropological facts and disagreeing with nonsense. Like you said, it's exhausting. I eventually had to quit for the sake of my own sanity, although that place did help me learn a lot about fanaticism, echo chambers, and anti-intellectualism.

I think one of the biggest obstacles is just how insular those places are. For the most part, people that frequent places like the BFF are never exposed to rational approaches in a meaningful way. It all gets buried by the negativity. Probably my favorite example is the "cripplefoot" track still being held up as a gold standard for evidence, despite it obviously being made by Ivan Marx as a tie-in to that hilarious video of a bigfoot hopping around that he also made. Bigfooters don't know about that video or the history of the print; all they ever really hear is that Grover Krantz said it would be be impossible to fake and no one would have a reason to. Even the Wild Thing podcast recently talked about that track as serious evidence without even mentioning Marx, or the video the track was supposed to support.

I guess I was wondering about the unlikely proposition that a bigfoot believer would get exposed to a simple, daming piece of information in a way that doesn't immediately get shouted down. Maybe the backlash effect would still drive them, but maybe it would cause some wheels to start spinning.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:31 AM   #2137
Drewbot
Philosopher

ArchSas what was your call sign at BFF?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal