ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:00 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,135
Medium to the Stars?

Flipping channels I came across a show that is about a young man, Tyler Henry, who is the 'go-to' "medium to the stars". Which means he "reads" D-list-has-beens, like former reality-show "stars" from years ago.


Anyway, I hung in for a few minutes. Does anyone have any information on him as a fraud? I didn't watch enough to determine if he is a cold or hot reader. I imagine that the low-rent "celebrities" probably have a great deal of their lives published.

Opinions? Facts?

Thanks.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:36 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,586
Never heard of him, quite happy to go out on a limb and say 'fraud'.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,934
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Never heard of him, quite happy to go out on a limb and say 'fraud'.
I will add that even if he is only for D-list celebs, he has no further effort to make than to read the Daily Fail.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,998
Is he handsome? Because it could be a ploy to be either a toy-boy, or get a line of credit at the corner store.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Flipping channels I came across a show that is about a young man, Tyler Henry, who is the 'go-to' "medium to the stars". Which means he "reads" D-list-has-beens, like former reality-show "stars" from years ago.

Anyway, I hung in for a few minutes. Does anyone have any information on him as a fraud?
Sure. I bolded the evidence.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:46 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 24,743
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I will add that even if he is only for D-list celebs, he has no further effort to make than to read the Daily Fail.
I just googled him. Discovered this post is accurate. Though he does have 421,339 likes on Facebook. This compares with 771,481 likes for Olivia Newton-John.

Pity I thought there would be no new mediums get any shows.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 3,951
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Flipping channels I came across a show that is about a young man, Tyler Henry, who is the 'go-to' "medium to the stars". Which means he "reads" D-list-has-beens, like former reality-show "stars" from years ago.


Anyway, I hung in for a few minutes. Does anyone have any information on him as a fraud? I didn't watch enough to determine if he is a cold or hot reader. I imagine that the low-rent "celebrities" probably have a great deal of their lives published.

Opinions? Facts?

Thanks.
The Skeptical Inquirer and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry call him a "Grief Vampire" who preys on people who have lost loved ones.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:57 PM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,586
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
The Skeptical Inquirer and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry call him a "Grief Vampire" who preys on people who have lost loved ones.
Sooooo..... A medium then.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 02:42 AM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,586
He gets a mention a mention in John Oliver's 'Last Week Tonight' current edition in which he thoroughly eviscerates psychics. It won't convince anyone who's "brain cannot tell them what to think" but anyone not bought into it (literally) should enjoy it. Sylvia Browne also gets a mention, it's hard not to be moved by the kidnapping victim who believed in Browne right up to the moment when she watched Browne on television telling her mother that she was dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45DFNV2Q7w
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 03:36 PM   #10
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Actually, Tyler Henry isn't reading D list has beens.

Howie Mandel was on last week. I've seen Matt Lauer, Khloe Kardashian, Alan Thicke, the TV physician who was on CNN for years, Dr. Paul Nassif, the famous surgeon, Dr Drew Pinsky. I'm not up on celebrities, so I don't often recognize the people who have readings, but D list it is not.

My suggestion is you watch an episode before making judgement. What Mr. Henry is doing is hard to explain other than accepting that he may be able to do something other people can't.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 1,994
Guy who can read has a show ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 04:05 PM   #12
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,934
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
Actually, Tyler Henry isn't reading D list has beens.

Howie Mandel was on last week. I've seen Matt Lauer, Khloe Kardashian, Alan Thicke, the TV physician who was on CNN for years, Dr. Paul Nassif, the famous surgeon, Dr Drew Pinsky. I'm not up on celebrities, so I don't often recognize the people who have readings, but D list it is not.

My suggestion is you watch an episode before making judgement. What Mr. Henry is doing is hard to explain other than accepting that he may be able to do something other people can't.
The only one of those I immediately recognise is Kardashian, and she is sub D-list.

What point are you making?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 04:56 PM   #13
bytewizard
Master Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 2,023
Isn't this the clairvoyant who, when first meeting a famous celebrity, claims he doesn't know who they are? Great shtick.
"Barack Obama? I didn't know you were black! And the former President of where? Doesn't matter, I do know who all of your dead relatives are, and wow, do they have a lot to say!"

Why on earth do these "celebrities" give this fraud the time of day is beyond me.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:21 PM   #14
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,135
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Isn't this the clairvoyant who, when first meeting a famous celebrity, claims he doesn't know who they are? Great shtick.
"Barack Obama? I didn't know you were black! And the former President of where? Doesn't matter, I do know who all of your dead relatives are, and wow, do they have a lot to say!"

Why on earth do these "celebrities" give this fraud the time of day is beyond me.

No. Wrong guy. With a handful being recognizable faces, most that he 'reads' for, are such celebrity-no-bodies. "Celebrities" are something like a person remotely related to the Kardashians.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,341
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
Actually, Tyler Henry isn't reading D list has beens.

Howie Mandel was on last week. I've seen Matt Lauer, Khloe Kardashian, Alan Thicke, the TV physician who was on CNN for years, Dr. Paul Nassif, the famous surgeon, Dr Drew Pinsky. I'm not up on celebrities, so I don't often recognize the people who have readings, but D list it is not.

My suggestion is you watch an episode before making judgement. What Mr. Henry is doing is hard to explain other than accepting that he may be able to do something other people can't.
You are right, these people couldn't even aspire to be D list.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:31 PM   #16
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,341
I gather he has Jim Parsons on, underlining the big gap that there often is between actor and role.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 07:56 AM   #17
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Isn't this the clairvoyant who, when first meeting a famous celebrity, claims he doesn't know who they are? Great shtick.
"Barack Obama? I didn't know you were black! And the former President of where? Doesn't matter, I do know who all of your dead relatives are, and wow, do they have a lot to say!"

Why on earth do these "celebrities" give this fraud the time of day is beyond me.
It is beyond you. That part you have right.

I would suggest that ridicule--especially ridicule without substance--is an ineffective form of argument.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:09 AM   #18
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
No. Wrong guy. With a handful being recognizable faces, most that he 'reads' for, are such celebrity-no-bodies. "Celebrities" are something like a person remotely related to the Kardashians.
You don't know what you are talking about. His claim not to know who he's reading until he arrives is--along with never looking at the person he's reading-- two signature "shticks" as wasapi would say.

Why is the level of celebrity important to you? Ridicule? Okay. Duly noted.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:27 AM   #19
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,030
Doing something no other person is capable if is a big claim. If I choose not to accept at face value can anyone offer solid proof he has abilities? Even himself?

Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson, Madonna and Bruce Willis would be names that would get ears to perk if he started name dropping.
Picking at a list of washed up tv celebs from the 80's is a desperate plea by all to get some tv airtime again. Anything at all will do.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:36 AM   #20
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
You are right, these people couldn't even aspire to be D list.
Well....that settles it....Henry must be a fraud...reading D list celebrities!

I see you have a keen eye for this celebrity thing. I'll check with you for a celebrity rating after next week's show.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:43 AM   #21
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
You are right, these people couldn't even aspire to be D list.
I certainly have noted your keen eye for celebrity ranking.

Any argument I have just falls apart if it turns out Henry is reading D list celebrities!
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:51 AM   #22
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,763
I have no issue with the celebrity list, but I am interested in what is considered something he does that others cannot. Can you list one or two, preferably with a video?
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #23
kali1137
Muse
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 948
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
It is beyond you. That part you have right.

I would suggest that ridicule--especially ridicule without substance--is an ineffective form of argument.
Clearly you are a fan of the show. Now I want you to focus in on what I just said - SHOW. Edited for your viewing pleasure. All the "mediums" on tv seemed special and magical thanks to good editing. Once put to real tests, and behind the scenes misses were released, guess who were proven frauds??

Sylvia Browne, Jonathan Edwards, James Van Praagh, Teressa Caputo...…..sorry kid but the list goes on and on. If this guy is legit, I will go kiss bigfoot.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:17 AM   #24
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I have no issue with the celebrity list, but I am interested in what is considered something he does that others cannot. Can you list one or two, preferably with a video?
Watch the show. That's the perfect video to your point.

You don't get on weekly TV with 2 million viewers unless you can do something "that others cannot." And if it were shown that he was faking it, I would suggest to you, that would make the show even more incredible and his ability unique. (Even collusion with the TV production crew, would not be enough--the celebrities would also have to be in on the con and be able to fake emotion. Not likely).
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:37 AM   #25
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,118
Professional magicians fool people all the time. Mediums use similar tricks for the most part. The only difference is that magicians don't pretend to have genuine paranormal abilities, so the people they're fooling know it's done by trickery.

If this guy was genuine he would be demonstrating his ability under controlled conditions which eliminate cold reading, hot reading etc - far greater fame, riches and influence await if he did that instead of appearing on a two bit TV show.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:16 AM   #26
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,030
Ancient Aliens has been on tv forever with far more than two million loyal veiwers.

That doesn't mean that ancient alien theorists aren't full of **** and make it all up of disconnected bits.

They control the editing and production of the entire show. Of course it will (kinda) prove they were right.



Does this guy not control every aspect of his show including whom is invited and the grade of boiler plate the non disclosure agreement is on?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #27
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Clearly you are a fan of the show. Now I want you to focus in on what I just said - SHOW. Edited for your viewing pleasure. All the "mediums" on tv seemed special and magical thanks to good editing. Once put to real tests, and behind the scenes misses were released, guess who were proven frauds??
You are claiming that Corbett Stern Productions, Michael Corbett and 44 Blue Productions are committing blatant fraud in collusion with E! Entertainment by editing a TV show to provide false and misleading information to 2 million people? Interesting.

If what you are telling me is true, it is curious that not one of these celebrities has stepped forward to object to the interview editing and the final product. Just the opposite, celebrities rave about the quality of the reading if the video is to be believed.

And no one on the TV crew, the background research team, the camera operators, the film editors, the kid holding the mike boom--no one comes forward after four years of this? Maybe. Not likely.

You would agree with me that eventually some celebrity will get pissed about the reading or just decide to be honest and expose what Corbett Productions is doing? It's been four years. I'll wait.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:31 AM   #28
kali1137
Muse
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 948
Boy are you ever their target audience for this. Believe everything you see on TV. Any reality shows on tv that are legit? A quick search brought up this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75u3ZzzdPc
There are others but I don't link unless I have watched them myself.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:45 AM   #29
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Ancient Aliens has been on tv forever with far more than two million loyal veiwers.

That doesn't mean that ancient alien theorists aren't full of **** and make it all up of disconnected bits.

They control the editing and production of the entire show. Of course it will (kinda) prove they were right.

Does this guy not control every aspect of his show including whom is invited and the grade of boiler plate the non disclosure agreement is on?
There a false equivalence referencing the number of people who watch alien shows or the super bowl or any other TV show with my statement that Henry's talent is unique as evidenced by his ability to engage 2 million people with his unusual claims. Alien shows are a dime a dozen. Convincing someone you just communicated with their mother, whether you did or if you didn't--is a unique ability. Henry has something magical. If he didn't, there would be as many Henry's as there are alien shows.

An NDA is void if you detect fraud. Anybody connected with Henry's show could step forward, and there are people willing to pay money to bring anyone down who they think is a fraud.

The argument against most conspiracies--Moon fake, 9-11--is that no one has ever come forward and said, for example, "Hey, I worked at NASA, and we faked the Moon landing." No one. Powerful argument.

That same argument to a lesser extent holds here. No one. Powerful argument.

Henry's show is produced by Michael Corbett Productions, not Henry. They choose the guests and provide the editing/production. Are they dishonest? I don't know, but it is unlikely because of the damage if caught. They have too many other shows at risk.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:02 PM   #30
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Boy are you ever their target audience for this. Believe everything you see on TV. Any reality shows on tv that are legit? A quick search brought up this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75u3ZzzdPc
There are others but I don't link unless I have watched them myself.
Not sure how we jumped to "believe everything you see on TV." Perhaps we need to have a debate about the integrity of Michael Corbett productions, as you seem to believe they are fraudulent. Feel free to send that evidence to me.

There are hundreds of people involved in the production of Henry's show, including all the celebrities who have paid good money to have a reading. Video editors, cameramen, production team to obtain clients, research team (to tell Henry what to say). Dozens of people to canvas an auditorium before the show, etc. I'm not aware of anyone claiming fraud. You'd expect that from the celebrities who would feel cheated after a reading. (ie, made to look like fools).

I've never watched a "reality show." I watch MSNBC. Some might claim that's a reality show lol.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:12 PM   #31
kali1137
Muse
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 948
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
Not sure how we jumped to "believe everything you see on TV." Perhaps we need to have a debate about the integrity of Michael Corbett productions, as you seem to believe they are fraudulent. Feel free to send that evidence to me.

There are hundreds of people involved in the production of Henry's show, including all the celebrities who have paid good money to have a reading. Video editors, cameramen, production team to obtain clients, research team (to tell Henry what to say). Dozens of people to canvas an auditorium before the show, etc. I'm not aware of anyone claiming fraud. You'd expect that from the celebrities who would feel cheated after a reading. (ie, made to look like fools).

I've never watched a "reality show." I watch MSNBC. Some might claim that's a reality show lol.
We jumped to that because your sole argument for his being legit is because it's on tv and there are too many people who would have to be involved. The fact that it is on tv is what makes it more likely to be as fake as all the other shows that have come before it. Sylvia Browne was on Montel every week. Even after the never ending proven false "predictions" from her, people still defend her to this day. All that came before him have been caught but didn't have any huge fall from grace. Once people drink the kool aide, it can't be un-drunk. You simply don't understand how TV shows work.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:12 PM   #32
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Professional magicians fool people all the time. Mediums use similar tricks for the most part. The only difference is that magicians don't pretend to have genuine paranormal abilities, so the people they're fooling know it's done by trickery.

If this guy was genuine he would be demonstrating his ability under controlled conditions which eliminate cold reading, hot reading etc - far greater fame, riches and influence await if he did that instead of appearing on a two bit TV show.
I see you have memorized the Randy line. Alas, the world is more complicated than Randy. Performing under controlled conditions has been done, published and then refuted by others who didn't like the results.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:30 PM   #33
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
We jumped to that because your sole argument for his being legit is because it's on tv and there are too many people who would have to be involved. The fact that it is on tv is what makes it more likely to be as fake as all the other shows that have come before it. Sylvia Browne was on Montel every week. Even after the never ending proven false "predictions" from her, people still defend her to this day. All that came before him have been caught but didn't have any huge fall from grace. Once people drink the kool aide, it can't be un-drunk. You simply don't understand how TV shows work.
I don't think you are reading my posts. My sole argument? I've made five posts, mostly responding to ridicule. Very little argument.

I didn't say it was legit because it is on TV. I said his ability to get on TV with an audience of 2 million is evidence that he can do something unique and magical. That states the obvious. Yes, Sylvia Browne was a fraud or a pretender, and she was on TV all the time. I only saw her once, and it was ridiculous.

I pointed out that no one coming forward--hundreds involved--can be a powerful argument for legitimacy. It's a valid argument, one that Neil deGrasse Tyson uses all the time.

>You simply don't understand how TV shows work.

Ahh, but you do. I do understand fraud, which is what you are claiming.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:35 PM   #34
bytewizard
Master Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 2,023
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
I see you have memorized the Randy line. Alas, the world is more complicated than Randy. Performing under controlled conditions has been done, published and then refuted by others who didn't like the results.
Successfully? Proof? Link?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:40 PM   #35
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Doing something no other person is capable if is a big claim. If I choose not to accept at face value can anyone offer solid proof he has abilities? Even himself?

Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson, Madonna and Bruce Willis would be names that would get ears to perk if he started name dropping.
Picking at a list of washed up tv celebs from the 80's is a desperate plea by all to get some tv airtime again. Anything at all will do.
>Doing something no other person is capable if is a big claim.

Fair point.
(1) There are other people who have Henry's ability, a few, but they are not on TV. As for "on TV," I think John Edwards had this ability at one time. (2) The world is full of people with unique abilities. Ricky Jay's ability to shuffle six poker hands into the middle of a deck and then deal pulling cards out from the middle. Ted Williams ability to hit 400. The performers at Cirque du Sol. Harold Williams ability to speak 58 languages fluently. The lady who played the Brunette on Taxi's ability to remember in great detail every day of her life. (Marilu Henner).

If many people could do what Henry does--and he is doing something exceptional whether fake or not--Henry would not be on TV. He is unique either way.

>If I choose not to accept at face value can anyone offer solid proof

There is never solid proof for things metaphysical. If we had solid proof, we would not be having this discussion.

>if he started name dropping. Picking at a list of washed up tv celebs from the 80's is a desperate plea by all to get some tv airtime again.

The TV celebs are successful; many are recent. Howie Mandel is on TV regularly (America's Got Talent; Deal, no Deal). But that's not what's going on here. People are on because they want the reading, and I assume the TV production team wants recognizable names, not the nobody next door. In general the people who get a reading are accomplished, which lends some credibility. It is harder to fool an accomplished physician--there have been three on the show, including the guy from CNN--or Matt Lauer (Today show).

One thing is clear, the people he reads are universally wowed by the information they receive. Statistically, reading successful people and impressing every single one, is a type of proof.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:49 PM   #36
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,030
Is a show on a sound stage with a carefully prepared presenter and carefully vetted and prepared guests NOT a carefully controlled environment?

Nothing on tv is truly spontaneous outside of the news stories.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:49 PM   #37
bytewizard
Master Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 2,023
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
There is never solid proof for things metaphysical. If we had solid proof, we would not be having this discussion.
And there never will be, because it does not exist. If it did exist, there would be proof. This clown is no different from the thousands that preceded him. He is an ENTERTAINER, nothing more.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:24 PM   #38
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,118
Originally Posted by Frank McLaughlin View Post
There is never solid proof for things metaphysical. If we had solid proof, we would not be having this discussion.
If this guy had the ability he claims to have it would be trivially easy for him to prove it, he would have done so, and we would not be having this discussion.

Quote:
One thing is clear, the people he reads are universally wowed by the information they receive.
People are very easy to impress with the simplest of tricks.

Quote:
Statistically, reading successful people and impressing every single one, is a type of proof.
A hit rate statistically greater than chance, achieved under controlled conditions, is the only type of proof. No-one has ever done it.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:30 PM   #39
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,118
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Is a show on a sound stage with a carefully prepared presenter and carefully vetted and prepared guests NOT a carefully controlled environment?
It's not a controlled environment in the scientific sense, no.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:38 PM   #40
Frank McLaughlin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Successfully? Proof? Link?
I was referring to science in general, not Henry. I don't believe Henry has undergone testing. Apparently, he doesn't care whether you believe him or not.

Scientists are often the last ones to accept a new idea whether that is the age of the Sphinx, continental drift, the appearance of pre-Clovis civilization in North America, what drugs post-menopausal women should be taking, the effect of a meat diet on health, the value of Ayurvedic medicine, the fact that the speed of light may change in a vacuum...I'm adding to this Tyler Henry's ability.

To paraphrase Richard Feynman, the first step in the scientific method is that you guess. I'm guessing. Testing happens each week on TV if you think about it.

Link: John Edwards, who does basically the same thing as Henry, has submitted to a series of studies at the Univ of AZ. Three of the studies are discussed in: "The Afterlife Experiments" by Gary Schwartz, Harvard Professor of Psychology, Surgery, Medicine, Neurology, Psychiatry. Bonus about the book is that it makes Randi apoplectic.
__________________
Formerly known as member frank3373
Frank McLaughlin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.