ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:42 AM   #41
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The second video went on and on but it's quite common for one large light-the-sky-blue flash when a transformer station blows up. There are dozens of videos on the net.

Was it like this one? Scroll down for the longer video.

I've never heard of one lasting that long but now I have.
It was kind of like that, but on a smaller scale, I guess?

I wish I could have taken better "inventory" of all the details. It all happened so fast, and I had absolutely no idea what could possibly be going on - I was practically ******** myself. So the blue color and the weird way the clouds looked is burned into my mind, but helpful details like how far the light appeared to span or how high up it was are kind of lost in mental fuzz.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 09:48 AM   #42
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Yes I did, and the entire sky does not illuminate. Those blue flashes are large but localized.
Yes, but could it maybe look like the whole sky lit up from my perspective? That's what I'm wondering. My view from that window is below the power lines. The window isn't particularly large, and I was confused and basically panicking. The flash was brief. Maybe I'm wrong about the sky lighting up, maybe my field of vision just lit up.

I thought it was the sky because of the bit about the clouds. I have no idea, lol. That's why I had to make a post about it. I wish I could explain everything better.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 09:51 AM   #43
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
You'll be sorry when the aliens invade.
I don't know, maybe they'll be the ET type instead of the Fire in the Sky type.

Just in case, I should start sending out messages in binary, urging the visitors to enter my building through the front door instead of blowing in the windows if they'd like to probe me. I need my security deposit back!
Old 13th March 2019, 10:27 AM   #44
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I should add, though memory is a bit old, that in the squirrel incident I cited earlier, it took quite some time for the squirrel to blow the fuse, and the glow lasted at least a few minutes, and although distances are difficult to gauge in wooded, hilly country, the glow was visible to many over a large distance. It was the talk of the town, and much was made of the discrepancy between the size of the squirrel and the size of the event.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 08:11 PM   #45
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

We were returning home about midnight one night and just as we turned into the driveway, the whole sky lit up bright blue. Probably bright enough to read newsprint by. My spouse asked, "Is that lightning?"

"Probably a transformer going," I told her. It maintained, flickering a little, for at least a minute. We went in, I turned on the lights, and said, "At least the power -"

And the lights went out and stayed out for most of the night. Next morning I drove to the University, about four miles as the crow flies, and learned that a car had struck a power pole with a transformer on it and the transformer evidently arced for a couple of minutes before blowing for good. One of the night campus security officers told me, "You couldn't even look right at it, it was so damn bright. I thought for a minute it was Jesus coming back, but then I reckoned it wasn't, cause he wouldn't have been driving no Humvee, and he wouldn't have been drunk enough to run head-on into a big old pole on a straight stretch of highway."
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:14 AM   #46
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I thought for a minute it was Jesus coming back, but then I reckoned it wasn't, cause he wouldn't have been driving no Humvee, and he wouldn't have been drunk enough to run head-on into a big old pole on a straight stretch of highway.
I dunno, he did seem to be awfully quick to turn water to wine...

Old 20th March 2019, 02:44 PM   #47
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Quite possibly a percusor to an Alien invasion. Many reports have started out as a blue mushroom flash in the sky as you describe, followed by multiple sightings by groups of people. The blue mushroom flash is what happens when you leave hyper space. Your neighbours may have been mind wiped, hence the collective amnesia.

Stay vigilant.

Power transformers indeed.....

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal