ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags palm readers , psychic , supernatural , tarot

Old 15th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

US Psychic Industry Has Big Growth

The U.S. psychic industry has grown 52% since 2005 to reach $2.2billion in revenue last year thanks to wider acceptance of the supernatural, report finds

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
They come seeking insights on love, money and lost loved ones. Some find answers and relief. Others find a reason to keep coming back, paying each time for the answers they crave. Whether it's palm readers or astrologers, experts in tarot, or mediums who connect with the dead – the psychic industry is booming, according to a new report.

Revenues have grown 52 percent since 2005 to reach nearly $2.2 billion in 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, according to an IBISWorld industry report obtained by DailyMail.com.

The industry has rebounded along with the post-recession economy and a growing acceptance of the metaphysical or supernatural. The industry's growth comes as personal religious beliefs in the U.S. have become more flexible and accepting: more than a quarter of Americans have left the faith they were raised in and 16.1 percent consider themselves unaffiliated, according to Pew Research Center.

'I don't think the susceptibility or gullibility of Americans has changed over the decades,' said Michael Shermer, the publisher of Skeptic magazine and a teacher of critical thinking at Chapman University. 'What we're witnessing is probably more internet access for promoters of psychics to spread their business more,' he told DailyMail.com.

At the same time, the industry is contending with escalating local regulations, as a growing number of states pass ordinances requiring background checks, registration fees, random inspections and limits on how many psychics can work within a given area, according to IBISWorld. ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enue-year.html

The highest concentrations of psychics are in Florida and California.
Old 16th March 2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Some years ago, our local tabloid, the Riverfront Times, had one of their reporters take a job as a “telephone psychic”. (“No experience required”)

The article she did was rather depressing. There was no mystery to the technique... The standard sort of “fishing” questions furnished by the company was quite sufficient to allow the reporter to be a convincing phone psychic.
The depressing bit was the nature of the calls. Folks with all sorts of real-life problems, looking for help or comfort.
Domestic abuse, children gone bad, financial woes, loneliness, mental problems... The reporter could only take it for a couple of weeks.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 03:44 AM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This is a non news story. What do you expect from a source like that? The final paragraph says the industry will grow by 0.9% pa. Sorry but USA population growth is 0.8% pa growth. So the headline should be "he U.S. psychic industry grows in line with population growth and inflation."
Old 17th March 2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This is a non news story. What do you expect from a source like that? The final paragraph says the industry will grow by 0.9% pa. Sorry but USA population growth is 0.8% pa growth. So the headline should be "he U.S. psychic industry grows in line with population growth and inflation."
I was wondering if the figures were normed for inflation, because that would account for 28.57% growth by itself. About another 14.86% growth in the adult population. Multiply those together and you get about 47% growth from population and inflation. So maybe that last 5% is real growth. Not a huge difference.
Old 18th March 2019, 05:20 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I know he never said it, but PT Barnum's alleged statement on the birth rate of the extremely gullible is proven to be true every day.
What is amusing is that people who laugh at creationism and other Christian supernatural silliness fall for equally silly crap if it's all dressed up in New Age or pseudo Scientific language. I give you Sceintilogy as an example,which just a variant form of the Psychic racket.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 03:27 AM   #6
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I give you Sceintilogy as an example,which just a variant form of the Psychic racket.

If you ever have trouble finding this thread, just google Sceintilogy.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 05:39 AM   #7
Armitage72
Master Poster

I know he never said it, but PT Barnum's alleged statement on the birth rate of the extremely gullible is proven to be true every day.
What is amusing is that people who laugh at creationism and other Christian supernatural silliness fall for equally silly crap if it's all dressed up in New Age or pseudo Scientific language. I give you Sceintilogy as an example,which just a variant form of the Psychic racket.

I remember a newspaper comic strip in which a man and his young granddaughter were talking to an older woman.

Woman: I'm not religious, but I'm very spiritual.
Little Girl: What does that mean?
Grandfather: It means she believes in things like ghosts and psychics.
Woman. That's a very cynical attitude. What's your astrological sign?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:10 AM   #8
jadebox
Graduate Poster

"thanks to wider acceptance of the supernatural, report finds ..."

I don't see anything in the article that supports that part of the headline. The report referenced isn't publicly available.

Last edited by jadebox; 19th March 2019 at 08:12 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 11:42 AM   #9
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
"thanks to wider acceptance of the supernatural, report finds ..."

I don't see anything in the article that supports that part of the headline. The report referenced isn't publicly available.

There is wide acceptance of the supernatural. We only need to look at how many people identify as some kind of religious. And as people abandon organized religion, they find themselves left with beliefs that lend themselves very well to belief in psychics, ghosts and mediums.
Old 20th March 2019, 05:18 AM   #10
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
There is wide acceptance of the supernatural. We only need to look at how many people identify as some kind of religious. And as people abandon organized religion, they find themselves left with beliefs that lend themselves very well to belief in psychics, ghosts and mediums.
Randi noted the same thing when he toured Russia some years back... Shortly after the Soviet Union collapsed.
Widespread belief in all manner of woo...

I’m on Quora a great deal, and to judge by the questions and answers.... There’s no lack of belief.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:59 AM   #11
jadebox
Graduate Poster

It is the headline's contention that the growth is due to "wider acceptance, not "wide acceptance" of the supernatural. Other than a throwaway line in the article, that assertion isn't addressed. And, as noted by others, the growth as measured in dollars can be explained by inflation and an increase in population. Even if those factors weren't enough, maybe the same number (or fewer) of believers were spending more on average.

I don't know if such beliefs are growing or not. I just thought it strange that the headline would make a statement that isn't really addressed in the article.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:31 PM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It is the headline's contention that the growth is due to "wider acceptance, not "wide acceptance" of the supernatural. Other than a throwaway line in the article, that assertion isn't addressed. And, as noted by others, the growth as measured in dollars can be explained by inflation and an increase in population. Even if those factors weren't enough, maybe the same number (or fewer) of believers were spending more on average.

I don't know if such beliefs are growing or not. I just thought it strange that the headline would make a statement that isn't really addressed in the article.
A version of click bait maybe? Get people to buy the paper. Then not read much of the article.
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Randi noted the same thing when he toured Russia some years back... Shortly after the Soviet Union collapsed.
Widespread belief in all manner of woo...

I remember a great episode of Nova in which he interacted with various Russian psychics. I was particularly amused by the two women who claimed they could divine details of someone's life from a photograph. He provided them a photo of a man they said was a loving family man deeply involved in his community, and a major change had happened in his life in the past year. They were upset that Randi just sat there taking notes, not providing them with any feedback during their reading.
Unfortunately for them, the picture was of Ted Bundy, and he had been executed four years earlier. Their backpedaling was hilarious. "Yes. I said he had sad eyes. The eyes of a sadist."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:13 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Given the increased population, I'd say his estimate is now considerably low.
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:09 PM   #15
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The highest concentrations of psychics are in Florida and California.
I see that women visit psychics with twice the frequency as men.

Which is remarkable given that 93.4% of the men visiting psychics are just trying to get down their pants.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:36 PM   #16
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I'm not even sure that the "industry" can be successfully measured. Whatever "growth" there might have been might be due entirely to different measurement techniques, in addition to general population and inflation already mentioned.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal